Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Judge beats daughter for using the internet

Comments

• devilisciousdeviliscious Member UncommonPosts: 4,359

Originally posted by Vato26

Originally posted by deviliscious

I was in awe of reactions on this.  Growing up with what I did, to me,  I would have been thankful, grateful, if this was the type of punishment I received.  I would have begged for this to happen instead.  I am honestly at a loss of words. It is like living on two different worlds entirely.  I don't think people can really understand.  Do not get me wrong, I am not condoning this, I am just left with a feeling of confusion trying to take it all in.

You are a sufferer of assault.  The blue highlight is a tell-tale sign of the abuse that you had to endure.

All I have to sy is if people consider this abuse, I do not even know what they would consider what I endured.  But then again, when you go to the police, they just bring you back and tell your father that he should  put bars on my window next time.

Originally posted by generals3

I was in awe of reactions on this.  Growing up with what I did, to me,  I would have been thankful, grateful, if this was the type of punishment I received.  I would have begged for this to happen instead.  I am honestly at a loss of words. It is like living on two different worlds entirely.  I don't think people can really understand.  Do not get me wrong, I am not condoning this, I am just left with a feeling of confusion trying to take it all in.

Now i'm concerned about your education. Or this could be an explanation about your nickname/avatar (j/k)

? In my view, growing up, I had always thought when a kid said " My Dad is going to kick my ass for this.." that it meant they were going to have to have the same punishments I endured. This in comparison, would be like a tap on the wrist.

• generals3generals3 Member Posts: 3,307

Now i'm concerned about your education. Or this could be an explanation about your nickname/avatar (j/k)

? In my view, growing up, I had always thought when a kid said " My Dad is going to kick my ass for this.." that it meant they were going to have to have the same punishments I endured. This in comparison, would be like a tap on the wrist.

Well this does raise concerns now times may have changed but nowadays they surely don't mean that anymore. The good old ass kicking of children is passé and has been replaced with more suitable ways to discipline. Not that it never happens.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt.
    Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.

Well this does raise concerns now times may have changed but nowadays they surely don't mean that anymore. The good old ass kicking of children is passé and has been replaced with more suitable ways to discipline. Not that it never happens.

It is very much common place still in Texas.

Than i guinenely feel sorry for kids over there :/

• MytobMytob Member Posts: 79

Just aint right doing that. Giving them a slap with you hand on the bottom is on thing but using a belt it going to far.  Maby it was seen as aceptable 60 or 70 years ago but not now.

• Vato26Vato26 Member Posts: 3,930

Originally posted by Mytob

Just aint right doing that. Giving them a slap with you hand on the bottom is on thing but using a belt it going to far.  Maby it was seen as aceptable 60 or 70 years ago but not now.

Based on what devilicious say, apparently it's commonplace in Texas.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Depending on what school district and what school 'swats' are still handed out as one method of punishment. They are usually given with a wood board with holes in it so that it whistles when swung. You want to play nice with that coach or 250 lb vice principal. Just the knowledge that the board existed kept the vast majority of students in line.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857

Not going into specific detail, that's up to her, but based on what she's posted in the past, Devil did not have anything resembling what we might call a normal childhood, regardless of the state it occured in.

I'm still highly pissed off about some of the specific events mentioned.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

Originally posted by Aelfinn

Not going into specific detail, that's up to her, but based on what she's posted in the past, Devil did not have anything resembling what we might call a normal childhood, regardless of the state it occured in.

Belts and paddles are still very much common in Texas, however, No I do not think other kids punishments involved sledge hammers, broken mirrors, Mesquite branches with thorns  blood and broken bones. It still is hard to talk about. I have tried to put that behind me, though I did not speak to my parents for years, I am the one caring for them now. Both of my parents are disabled, I have accepted I cannot change the past, but they are also the only parents I have. I have never asked them for anything. I have difficulty understanding this girls actions here, I would have destroyed the video long ago to get it out of mind. I cannot understand how she would want to throw it out there like that, and I cannot understand even further how she could be making demands from them rather than pity them for their lack of understanding to the really important things in life. The whole thing is just confusing.

• RobgmurRobgmur Member Posts: 322

Originally posted by Aelfinn

Belts and paddles are still very much common in Texas, however, No I do not think other kids punishments involved sledge hammers, broken mirrors, Mesquite branches with thorns  blood and broken bones. It still is hard to talk about. I have tried to put that behind me, though I did not speak to my parents for years, I am the one caring for them now. Both of my parents are disabled, I have accepted I cannot change the past, but they are also the only parents I have. I have never asked them for anything. I have difficulty understanding this girls actions here, I would have destroyed the video long ago to get it out of mind. I cannot understand how she would want to throw it out there like that, and I cannot understand even further how she could be making demands from them rather than pity them for their lack of understanding to the really important things in life. The whole thing is just confusing.

Violence is never the solution, only an option. No one deserves to be beaten and it is also against the law to lay hand upon a child (USA). Some might agree or disagree about this, but that is what gives us individualism. It has already been proven that violent responses to a childs actions cause nothing but negative impacts. The day the child lives in fear of the parent is the day that parent has officially failed.

*Corsair Obsidian Series 650D *i5-2500K OC'd ~ 4.5
    *Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 mother board
    * Radeon HD 7970
    *8GB (4GBx2) 1600MHz Kingston HyperX
    *240GB Corsair Force GT Series SATA-III SSD

• RobgmurRobgmur Member Posts: 322

@ Devil - Try posting without bragging about yourself lol  That's a 'no no quality', we call them one-uppers where I'm from.

*Corsair Obsidian Series 650D *i5-2500K OC'd ~ 4.5
    *Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 mother board
    * Radeon HD 7970
    *8GB (4GBx2) 1600MHz Kingston HyperX
    *240GB Corsair Force GT Series SATA-III SSD

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857

Its a perfectly legitimate case to make while explaining one's personal viewpoint Rob. She also refrained from saying anything about it until in response to my mention of her somewhat unique situation.

Had her attitude been to brag about it, you might have a point. But she didn't, and I would be surprised if she ever did.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

Originally posted by Robgmur

Violence is never the solution, only an option. No one deserves to be beaten and it is also against the law to lay hand upon a child (USA). Some might agree or disagree about this, but that is what gives us individualism. It has already been proven that violent responses to a childs actions cause nothing but negative impacts. The day the child lives in fear of the parent is the day that parent has officially failed.

I disagree here. While violence may not be The solution or shouldn't be the first choice as a solution sometimes it is necessary , mainly when everything else fails. It should be kept as a last resort option, now it may not even work than but if everything else fails it's worth a try.

@ Devil - Try posting without bragging about yourself lol  That's a 'no no quality', we call them one-uppers where I'm from.

I have no clue what you think I am " bragging about". Honestly, the whole thing is embarrasing and painful. I don't think that is boasting, it is even hard to type now  without feeling like I am going to vomit.

EDIT: nevermind.

I disagree here. While violence may not be The solution or shouldn't be the first choice as a solution sometimes it is necessary , mainly when everything else fails. It should be kept as a last resort option, now it may not even work than but if everything else fails it's worth a try.

Beating a child with a foreign object should be never "necessary".  It constitutes Battery in every state when it comes to adult v. adult violence.  However, since children's law serves as a double standard in some states, like Texas, beating a child with a foreign object is not a child abuse.  However, a vast majority of states, it is.

Notice how I say "foreign object".  I am not against spanking children.  I am against having to use a foreign object (board, belt, broom, etc...) to do it.  That shows anger and disdain for the child by the disciplinary.  A hand across the bum does not convey this same message.

@Rob:  No, you are incorrect.  Spanking is allowed in almost every state law.  However, many states have conditions like "to cause excessive pain" or "to cause mental anguish" or "to cause emotional trauma" as to turn spanking into child abuse.

Beating a child with a foreign object should be never "necessary".  It constitutes Battery in every state when it comes to adult v. adult violence.  However, since children's law serves as a double standard in some states, like Texas, beating a child with a foreign object is not a child abuse.  However, a vast majority of states, it is.

Notice how I say "foreign object".  I am not against spanking children.  I am against having to use a foreign object (board, belt, broom, etc...) to do it.  That shows anger and disdain for the child by the disciplinary.  A hand across the bum does not convey this same message.

@Rob:  No, you are incorrect.  Spanking is allowed in almost every state law.  However, many states have conditions like "to cause excessive pain" or "to cause mental anguish" or "to cause emotional trauma" as to turn spanking into child abuse.

Well i guess there was some confusion about what constitutes violence. Obviously i'm not talking about beating up a child. I was referring to the good old spanking, which still is violence. I thought it would be self-implied that severe violence against your own children isn't an option.

• HazelleHazelle Member Posts: 760

You could choose to hit someone harder with an open hand than with any object...

What's the difference between electing to strike a person at a certain PSI with and object or the same PSI with an open hand?

It makes no difference with regards to pain to the person on the other end of the object or hand - it hurts just the same and is as equally damaging...

Here's a video of a man almost beaten to death:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EltgaK1FCDs 

'Your eyes can deceive you, don't trust them'

Originally posted by Hazelle

You could choose to hit someone harder with an open hand than with any object...

What's the difference between electing to strike a person at a certain PSI with and object or the same PSI with an open hand?

It makes no difference with regards to pain to the person on the other end of the object or hand - it hurts just the same and is as equally damaging...

Please re read my prior posts and you will understand that I have already discussed this.  There IS a difference between object vs. hand when beating someone.  I have already discussed it.

Using a hollywood movie as evidence.  Fail example is fail.

It's evidence that what you see might not be as bad it appears.

The video I presented illustrates my point - it depicts two people beating each other senseless and yet in reality neither of them is harmed in any way at all.  Make sure you read that: NEITHER OF THEM IS HARMED IN ANY WAY AT ALL.

The video of the girl, according to a person that was there at the time, looks worse than it appears and he goes on to tell us that she didn't suffer any damage as a result of it, which has up until now not been contested by the "victim" so it must stand as the truth.

Accept it - the video, much like the movie clip, looks worse than it appears and nither the girl or the actors suffered much harm from these moments caught on film.

Please re read my prior posts and you will understand that I have already discussed this.  There IS a difference between object vs. hand when beating someone.  I have already discussed it.

You claimed it shows anger and disdain but failed to illusrate why you think that.

Making random claims isn't the same as presenting a valid point or discussing something - it's just making a claim, which is worthless unless you present the reason why you are making the claim - which you haven't done.

How does striking someone with an object make striking someone with their hand convey less "anger"?

The very fact that somebody is being shown dicipline invalidates your "disdain" claim.

It's evidence that what you see might not be as bad it appears.

The video I presented illustrates my point - it depicts two people beating each other senseless and yet in reality neither of them is harmed in any way at all.  Make sure you read that: NEITHER OF THEM IS HARMED IN ANY WAY AT ALL.

The video of the girl, according to a person that was there at the time, looks worse than it appears and he goes on to tell us that she didn't suffer any damage as a result of it, which has up until now not been contested by the "victim" so it must stand as the truth.

Accept it - the video, much like the movie clip, looks worse than it appears and nither the girl or the actors suffered much harm from these moments caught on film.

Using hollywood stunts and makeup =/= reality.  Sorry, I stand by the "Fail example is fail." because that's the absolute truth.

Also, "open hand" =/= "punching a child".  That's battery as well.

You claimed it shows anger and disdain but failed to illusrate why you think that.

Making random claims isn't the same as presenting a valid point or discussing something - it's just making a claim, which is worthless unless you present the reason why you are making the claim - which you haven't done.

How does striking someone with an object make striking someone with their hand convey less "anger"?

The very fact that somebody is being shown dicipline invalidates your "disdain" claim.

I have psychology on my side.  You have just your opinion.  Science speaks louder than opinion.