Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Republic Companions Preview

Comments

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

Originally posted by popinjay

Humor?

Yep, it's a joke. And I linked one.

A BIG one.

And yet you took it seriously as if Trion intended it to be something more than a silly pet.

• Dante1443Dante1443 Member Posts: 23

Oh I so want to play this game!

• Dante1443Dante1443 Member Posts: 23

Oh I so want to play this game!

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Originally posted by Supersoups

Humor?

A BIG one.

And yet you took it seriously as if Trion intended it to be something more than a silly pet.

I'll tell you what...

If you would like to spend the rest of this thread talking about me, don't. I'm just not that interesting a guy.

If you'd rather talk about the 8 classes in Rift that give some halfway boring companion out of 32 or 34 souls, that's totally different and more relevant. I think it's clear which game has the better pet/companion system without question, as would anyone with two working eyeballs.

The pet situation is pretty bad in Rift, so much so that people have to "pretend" that Hoppy the Rabbit is an actual "companion", and roleplay it which I think is sad. When people are told to "make their own fun" in a game like Rift after they say it's boring and pets/companions are cardboard, just makes me laugh a bit.

The TOR pet/companion system is full and complete. Your pet/companion has a background. They have a story. They fight. They craft. They are actually a part of your adventure. EVERY CLASS gets a companion that's very integral to the game, not fluffies, lol.

You like your purple rabbit and "pretend" he's the "harbinger of Regulos"? Good.. lots of people Roleplay when that's all there is to do. My son used to do that all the time with his inanimate playthings.. pretend it does this and pretend it does that.

I'll stick to the real thing, tyvm :)

Humor?

A BIG one.

I'll tell you what...

If you would like to spend the rest of this thread talking about me, don't. I'm just not that interesting a guy.

I know that you don't have to tell me the obvious.

If you'd rather talk about the 8 classes in Rift that give some halfway boring companion out of 32 or 34 souls, that's totally different and more relevant. I think it's clear which game has the better pet/companion system without question, as would anyone with two working eyeballs.

Completely off topic and this topic has nothing to do with Rift or the class discussion. it is as ir relevant as trying to compare a silly pet in Rift with companions in SWTOR and desperately trying  to draw some parallel between two games when there is none.

The pet situation is pretty bad in Rift, so much so that people have to "pretend" that Hoppy the Rabbit is an actual "companion", and roleplay it which I think is sad. When people are told to "make their own fun" in a game like Rift after they say it's boring and pets/companions are cardboard, just makes me laugh a bit.

The pet system in Rift is just that a simple 'pet' system. Rift never made any promises to have an extensive companion system so there is no question of disappointment. Rifts pet system is a fluff feature just like any other typical MMORPG.

The TOR pet/companion system is full and complete. Your pet/companion has a background. They have a story. They fight. They craft. They are actually a part of your adventure. EVERY CLASS gets a companion that's very integral to the game, not fluffies, lol.

Once again you are making un necessary comparison between TOR's companion system with Rift's pet system. And that is why i rolled my eyes when i first read your psot because you are comparing apple with oranges. If you want to make a fair comparison you should give example of FFXI as its companion system is the closest to TOR.

You like your purple rabbit and "pretend" he's the "harbinger of Regulos"? Good.. lots of people Roleplay when that's all there is to do. My son used to do that all the time with his inanimate playthings.. pretend it does this and pretend it does that.

I'll stick to the real thing, tyvm :)

Yes i like the silly purple rabbit and take it and ejoy it for what it is insetad of going on bender and getting upset about something which was never meant to be a feature of Rift. i guess your kid is a lot more smarter since he knows how to enjoy a video game without taking silly things as fluff pets too seriously.

So why am i replying to you? because it irks me everytime players try to find an excuse to bash another MMO even though it has nothing to do with on going topic. I consider it derailing of the OP.

• PrigoginePrigogine Member Posts: 18

Originally posted by Squiggie

*waves his hand at EA suit monkes*

You will lift the NDA on the Sith companions

Ha ha ha ha ha! Hope it works =)

lotta aimless protesting...

ToR pet and battle system is better than Rift. It's that simple, chum. Protest all you like and make it about me and "bashing", lol. But facts are facts and it's just.. better.

I'm sure you heard otherwise from people "claiming" to be in the beta on the Rift forums with great threads like this:

"Don't ditch Rift for ToR"

...but people thank goodness most people don't read that kind of trash threads. With the real information given out by the press and shortly, by people who can see for themselves your above wanderings will be moot shortly which will be a relief.

You should probably re-read the link in the OP here again, but don't skim over this time. You'll find if you're honest you'll see it's better too. Nothing wrong with admitting it instead of denying it.

lotta aimless protesting...

ToR pet and battle system is better than Rift. It's that simple, chum. Protest all you like and make it about me and "bashing", lol. But facts are facts and it's just.. better.

I'm sure you heard otherwise from people "claiming" to be in the beta on the Rift forums with great threads like this:

"Don't ditch Rift for ToR"

...but people thank goodness most people don't read that kind of trash threads. With the real information given out by the press and shortly, by people who can see for themselves your above wanderings will be moot shortly which will be a relief.

You should probably re-read the link in the OP here again, but don't skim over this time. You'll find if you're honest you'll see it's better too. Nothing wrong with admitting it instead of denying it.

Hey if you can indugle in aimless bashing i can indulge in protesting. But it still doesn't change the fact that you are comparing a simple pet system with an extensive companion system of TOR which was designed ground up to be something more than just a fluff. Where as in Rift trion intended it to be nothing more than a simple fluff system. Listen i get it, you dislike Rift and love to bash it but it gets a little too much when you try to inject your hate in completely irrelevant topics.

It is as silly as comparing TOR's housing system with say that of Vanguard or Archeage and bashing TOR on basis of that. And yes people make these silly comparisons just like you did in terms of Rift. I can do that too, pick one feature and rip it apart and start making irrelevant comparisons. How are you any better than those who bash TOR day and night while comparing it to GW2 or any new upcoming MMORPG? shallow runs deep in these forums.

Hey if you can indugle in aimless bashing i can indulge in protesting. But it still doesn't change the fact that you are comparing a simple pet system with an extensive companion system of TOR which was designed ground up to be something more than just a fluff. Where as in Rift trion intended it to be nothing more than a simple fluff system. Listen i get it, you dislike Rift and love to bash it but it gets a little too much when you try to inject your hate in completely irrelevant topics.
    It is as silly as comparing TOR's housing system with say that of Vanguard or Archeage and bashing TOR on basis of that. And yes people make these silly comparisons just like you did in terms of Rift. I can do that too, pick one feature and rip it apart and start making irrelevant comparisons. How are you any better than those who bash TOR day and night while comparing it to GW2 or any new upcoming MMORPG? shallow runs deep in these forums.

You've successfully derailed.

I'm only going to talk about the pet systems in both games from now on. Rift's is pretty poor when matched up against SWTOR's system. That's a fact.

Rift's is fine for what it's paying base expects, but SWTOR's base wanted something different than the typical poorly done WoW's pet clone system other games copy like Rift, and they've gotten it. It's the most innovative pet system to date ever to be put into a mmo. (and you can quote me on that).

I think Bioware is too humble to claim that, so I'll claim it for them. We'll let other companies crow about how "they aren't in Azeroth anymore" when apparently they live just down the street.

That's pretty much it right there.

You've successfully derailed.

I'm only going to talk about the pet systems in both games from now on. Rift's is pretty poor when matched up against SWTOR's system. That's a fact.

Rift's is fine for what it's paying base expects, but SWTOR's base wanted something different than the typical poorly done WoW's pet clone system other games copy like Rift, and they've gotten it. It's the most innovative pet system to date ever to be put into a mmo. (and you can quote me on that).

I think Bioware is too humble to claim that, so I'll claim it for them. We'll let other companies crow about how "they aren't in Azeroth anymore" when apparently they live just down the street.

That's pretty much it right there.

I think the topic was pretty much derailed when you started comparing a fluff pet system with the companion system of TOR which forms a very important part of the gameplay. Just like how people who bash TOR derail it by making irrelevant comparisons with games like GW2. However it is amusing to see you rise to TOR defense in such circumstances.

Oh and i have been talking about pet system from very beginning but i had to give an example of housing just to show how silly this whole comparison is . it gives me a deja vu feeling about a topic where a gentleman was bashing TOR for having bad housing system in comparison to Archage when the only thing common between two games is that they have personal housing and that is it. But please feel free to keep comparing apples to oranges.

• Originally posted by kalinis

Originally posted by Scot

“And while it is a little silly to see dozens of Coros Riggses or Aric Jorgans running around, there is some customization to help make them look somewhat different from player to player. Still, it’s a significant thing to mention: everyone has companions, in the beginning you’ll all have the same ones, and it’s a bit weird to see people running around with doting clones.”

Just another example of solo gameplay being more important than roleplaying and grouping. Does not matter what aspect of a MMO you look at, the crafting, the economics, you alone must be able to get from the game exactly what a whole guild of players can.

I know he said you still need other players for harder missions, but how many? 10% of the missons, 5%? If its anything like other modern MMO’s it will be about 2%.

See you in game for the 2% of time we play as a team!

Actually having seen my gfs beta weekend. They have very little thats phased and if u are say a trooper and a smuggler u can go into there phased areas together. 

The companion wont replace another player for power its just part of tors story. The pve is important but they have story everywhere in flashpoints, which u can do from level 8 up that u cant use companions in. To warzones. companions can be used in open world pvp though. 

This game has everythign wow and lotro and every other themepark mmo has for grouping and non solo play. u can ghroup from level 1 to max level if u want to. U mgiht do the phasec conversation part alone but the rest killing doing quests u can do together. 

you can use companions in flashpoints, but like in the open world, they take up a group spot.  and while it may be possible to do the flashpoints with them, it will certainly be harder since they cant match up with actual players

Originally posted by the_stickman
    Played beta last night for a bit. Game just didn't do a thing for me. Intro movies were fantastic, I must say. Game play was very uninspiring to me.

Originally posted by the_stickman
    Was excited.  No confirmation email for just signing up with their webpage. Not so much excitement 3 hours later.
    Unimpressive to say the least. If they can't get that right what's the game going to be like.

Well, good to see you didn't have any change from what you thought two months ago.

Good luck in your next game :)

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    I did too. Ten year mmorpg vet here and I enjoyed the first 8 level quite thoroughly. Did a few quest. Made some tough moral choices, grouped with a couple of people to tackle a few heroic quest and made a couple of friends. All and all I'd say this mmo is a winner for me. I don't remember grouping in any other mmo that early save FFXI and DAoC.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

Love companions. Love them. 

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

Ok my gf got this weekend beta. I got to play it a bit as did my nephew here is our reaction. i thought the story was great and the mechanics familiar but i like that. 

My gf said tor is better then wow and my nephew said its 100 times better then wow and wow sucks for him now. 

I have seen teh trolls in chat who put tor down while playing it  as did gf and nephew all of whom have played wow. 

gf is now gonna pre order tor which she wasnt gonna do before. i pre ordered day 1. hello its star wars mmo with bioware story even if i never got ot try it out in beta id of played this game and liked it.l

• FratmanFratman Member Posts: 344

Originally posted by kalinis

Actually having seen my gfs beta weekend. They have very little thats phased

Stop lying.

• This is all we get............................ 

• Biggus99Biggus99 Member Posts: 916

Originally posted by Fratman

Originally posted by kalinis

Actually having seen my gfs beta weekend. They have very little thats phased

Stop lying.

Says the guy who spends time spreading misinformation on the game on two separate boards.  There is a decent amount of phasing in the very early levels, but as you progress through the game, it becomes less and less.

For someone who spends every waking moment of his life trashing this game to whoever he can, I gotta ask:  Why are you bothering?  Why not just forget about the game and go play something else?  You think you're going to singlehandedly stop this game from being popular?  Not gonna happen---you don't carry that much clout. 

Its not a lie in fact on the smuggler part on starter world there are 3 places that are phased and its just a building and theya re all for talking. Till the end when the phased is group phased all but the part where ut ry to get your ship back. The rest is wide open world for anyone who wants to play.

and they starter worlds are huge. bigger then any zone in wow. This game is an mmo in everyway. hell if u wanna group with someone of a diffrent class u can even join your freinds in there phased area.

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

The long wait made me loose interest about this game.Hail to diablo 3

• RoccprofitRoccprofit Member Posts: 98

Companions are cool, they are not a show stopper in that they help a good deal but, they are not a sub for a good player with his/her finger on the heal button. For a skilled player that knows how to use them tho, they are a great help. It is weird seeing 100 of the same guy running around following different people and I am curious how that is going to work in pvp. The few screen shots they showed us for pvp stuff did not have companions and I really hope they do not go into pvp as that would just be a nightmare.

companions are allowed into world pvp. Not warzones but they are allowed in open world pvp like illum and any pvp lakes on planets as well as any open world pvp tht happens on pvp servers.

but since everyone will have companions out i dont see the big deal. its not like wow where u got pets for hunters, and locks as well as they can dot and fear u and other things that make standing toe to toe with them impossible. 

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

Bioware has always had great companion characters ever since ones like Minsc and Boo in Baldur's Gate. Bioware companions are not really comparable to other games with pet systems, since Bioware has been producing companions for a good deal of time, refining how they interact and adding more depth, and SWTOR just expands that system further...They are definitely not taking some rather minimal pet MMO class and expanding that to all classes.

The two companions I had the opportunity to play with were great, one of them being featured here :)

Oh, and in a group of three, we decided to test our fourth as a companion in a flashpoint, they are not the greatest in those situations...

• RamzeppelinRamzeppelin Member Posts: 101

Originally posted by Zefire

The long wait made me loose interest about this game.Hail to diablo 3

Short attention span? heh.

As for everyone walking around with the same companion in a game touting ROLEPLAYING.......<----this is stupid bioware. 

We have had good MMO's...they just went to crap. Least the ones I have played did. The few people swear by have been around too long for me to start now.

I look forward to The Old Republic and I love Star Wars, only a person worshiping Bioware like a God would think this is the best MMO experience to be had. Too many bad choices.

Not so many bad things however that it won't be any fun. I hope the PvP is good though or I will be likely playing alot of GW2 alot sooner.

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541

Originally posted by Ramzeppelin

I look forward to The Old Republic and I love Star Wars, only a person worshiping Bioware like a God would think this is the best MMO experience to be had. Too many bad choices.

Without "worshiping Bioware like a God" i do think this may very well become the best MMO experience up to date. Why? Because i belive the new MMO-era has begun. There is something fresh in the air and i think companies like Bioware and Arenanet are sniffing it. People are, by right, extremely full of critique. We have been flushed with poorly implemented titles over the past years and we expect nothing else from new titles. It's a long ongoing trend, and we have no reason to belive it will change. Except for... that freshnes in the air... smell it, feel it.