Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Open Beta Soon.....Or Stress Tests.

Comments

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Originally posted by Apotheos

What a failure. DB errors on the forums, the forums FE throwing errors, not serving pages, the test not going live, I'm disapointed that a big budget AAA studio can't deliver a simple stress test. I work on systems that take millions of transactions per second and eat them alive.

This is just bush league.

FAIL!

Good thing this is just a test then, right?

You people have some scarily unrealistic expectations for a game that is six weeks away from launch.

• mav1234mav1234 Member UncommonPosts: 82

the email people got wasn't a "You're in this weekend! Yay!" it was for an upcoming event in a couple weeks.  Basically, it was their way of saying "Don't scramble to get keys when we start releasing them this week - you're already in, don't worry."

• SuraknarSuraknar Member UncommonPosts: 852

Just got an Invite email...

But the website Is experiencing Hgh Traffic and nothing works.

If given the opportunity during the weekend I will test this and form a more on hand opinion of this game, which well, I will not be able to express untill the NDA is lifted, but at least it is overall a good thing, I did not intend on getting this game, I love the IP but have been skeptical and critical of the mechanics as perceived from the outside.

Looking forward to see it from the inside.

Cheers!

- Duke Suraknar -
    Order of the Silver Star, OSS

ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard
  • jakkarsjakkars Member Posts: 207

Originally posted by Distopia

Originally posted by jakkars

well I have just recived 2 keys. i only signed up for fun. since this game is not interiesing me im going to play d3 an gw2 instead. already deleted the mail from my box. the same with my brother. he also received a key, but he also signed up for fun and won, he will not be playing either.

hmm... i think other deserve those keys more than i. if i just had a d3 key i would be happy.

Funny enough I got a weekend invite as well, I'm already in CBT.  Anyway I have to ask what "keys" are you referring to? Last i checked general weekend invites are tied to accounts they were'nt using keys, did they change that?

an upcoming weekend or something like that. i am not going to play since game looks like shit, imo.

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

well I have just recived 2 keys. i only signed up for fun. since this game is not interiesing me im going to play d3 an gw2 instead. already deleted the mail from my box. the same with my brother. he also received a key, but he also signed up for fun and won, he will not be playing either.

hmm... i think other deserve those keys more than i. if i just had a d3 key i would be happy.

Funny enough I got a weekend invite as well, I'm already in CBT.  Anyway I have to ask what "keys" are you referring to? Last i checked general weekend invites are tied to accounts they were'nt using keys, did they change that?

I have a feeling this guy is just "bragging" that he "turned down" a chance to try one of the most anticipated MMORPGs ever made.

Originally posted by Xondar123

I have a feeling this guy is just "bragging" that he "turned down" a chance to try one of the most anticipated MMORPGs ever made.

ofc not, I dont really care, sci fi games dont interest me, im more a fantasy game player. D3 is all i want and maybe GW.

Originally posted by Xondar123

going into my trashfolder in my email to revive my invite, i will now try to sell them at ebay for cash or trade it for a d3 key.

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

Your account has been selected to participate in an upcoming Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Beta Weekend Test. If you have previously tested or are currently participating in an ongoing test, you will be invited again. Additional details for this upcoming test will be announced soon.

The red bit is the key part, however I've never had a beta invite for any MMO done in this way.  Usually you get an invite and the details within the mail.  Kinda strange to get most peoples expectations up with the subject line and then include the above.

A bit missleading really...oh well :P

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 758

I was already in a month long testing phase back in June and July, then today, I got two emails inviting me to an unspecified weekend "Closed beta" test. One came directly from SWTOR and is tied to my account so no key. The other came via my IGN Prime account and that one gave me a serial key to register against an existing or new SWTOR account.

Now I have to decide which one, if either, to use. I may not bother though, as I have already seen a large chunk of the game and have a pre-order lined up. I'm worried if I spend too much time in-game now it'll spoil things for when the game goes live.

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

The email i just got for an upcoming test is still subject to the nda. That is because this is a story mmo and they dont want people ruining the story for others.

The nda isnt in effect for the reasons all the haters say its there to protect the story.

• ApotheosApotheos Member Posts: 62

Originally posted by davestr1zl

What a failure. DB errors on the forums, the forums FE throwing errors, not serving pages, the test not going live, I'm disapointed that a big budget AAA studio can't deliver a simple stress test. I work on systems that take millions of transactions per second and eat them alive.

FAIL!

The whole point of these tests are to... test.. these things. Be thankful they're running stuff like this 1 month out from launch so that by the time launch comes around everything will hopefully be ironed out and smooth.

What would be the purpose in doing it if they knew that it would go flawlessly.

You cannot learn anything usefull (other than I can't handle the load) from inviting so many people that you DESTROY your infrastructure. I've tested distributed muti-tier systems that handle millions of transactions/sec and I can tell you this is not the way to run "stress". This is NOT the indended purpose of stress.  

Apotheos

• ApotheosApotheos Member Posts: 62

Originally posted by JudgeUK

FAIL!

Calm down emotional one with millions of transactions. It will happen soon, Not the end of the world (well maybe it is if your whole life revolves around this beta). 

It'll happen when it happens, bound to be hiccups along the way. Just wait til launch day, there'll be the usual download server queueing madness.

If the delay gets too much for you, put a darth vader costume on and live the dream.....

Actually I'm not concerned with the beta, I'm not even going to play SWTOR I just hate seeing rookie mistakes that impact large numbers of people. There is a better way to do this, but all too common AAA titles and the companies that publish them do not make an investment in non-production breakpoint testing, emulation, and comonent stress.

Apotheos

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

i got teh future test. They have a faq up on dev tracker. It states if u got this weekend ud have dates on your invite otherwise its for the second weekend they have scheduled which they expect to be the final weekend test.

• KeyelKeyel Member UncommonPosts: 1

there is a beta this weekend and the one they are talking about now is going to be between next monday and december 15th

• techknowgntechknowgn Member Posts: 1

Im disappointed I didnt get notified to participate. I pre-ordered on day 1 and set up for testing as soon as it was possible and Ive not received an email for this weekend or the general beta. I checked all my settings. I guess I just lose.

• sleepr27sleepr27 Member UncommonPosts: 102

Originally posted by techknowgn

Im disappointed I didnt get notified to participate. I pre-ordered on day 1 and set up for testing as soon as it was possible and Ive not received an email for this weekend or the general beta. I checked all my settings. I guess I just lose.

You realize they haven't sent all the invites? be patient please.

• MMOrUSMMOrUS Member Posts: 414

So far everyone in the EU Guild I'm part of has recieved their stress test invite.

• LovableLovable Member Posts: 14

So the actuly made me happy with a dead bird :(

Atleast send deteails to donwload allready :)

• SyfesSyfes Member Posts: 4

Lol, what's all this about?

Properly read the e-mail and it says right there that you've been selected for a future beta weekend and that you're going to receive a beta invite for this. This is not the invite, and people who thought otherwise should get their eyes checked.

Anyways image it's fun to know there's an invite coming. That will give me the chance to stress test my new system (parts arriving next week! image) And to check out which class I'll want to play at launch. Still haven't decided...

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality they're not.

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679

Why read all the email details when people can instantly jump on here for an ill informed rant?

The stress test isn't now. It is in the near future and people will get more details approaching that time.

The email is basically saying that you will get into the stress test so don't go for a beta code from third parties as you'll get one from us.

No big deal, wait for the further details, and chill.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Originally posted by Syfes

Properly read the e-mail and it says right there that you've been selected for a future beta weekend and that you're going to receive a beta invite for this. This is not the invite, and people who thought otherwise should get their eyes checked.

Anyways image it's fun to know there's an invite coming. That will give me the chance to stress test my new system (parts arriving next week! image) And to check out which class I'll want to play at launch. Still haven't decided...

Still, I think it was made kinda weird, not really thinking this trough. When people get an Email like "you are invited to beta", with no date, no download link it is essentially only the announcement for an invitation, which is a bit lame. And on top, on the same time they make a website maintenance? Worst possible time to make a maintenance, ya ne?

The road to hell is made with good intentions...

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• SyfesSyfes Member Posts: 4

Originally posted by Elikal

Originally posted by Syfes

Still, I think it was made kinda weird, not really thinking this trough. When people get an Email like "you are invited to beta", with no date, no download link it is essentially only the announcement for an invitation, which is a bit lame. And on top, on the same time they make a website maintenance? Worst possible time to make a maintenance, ya ne?

The road to hell is made with good intentions...

Just do what other people do: read the e-mail, smile happily and check the forums. If swtor website is down, there's plenty of other forums and messageboards out there image

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality they're not.

• SysOpPsycheSysOpPsyche Member Posts: 103

Its SWTOR spam.

I got it to apparently because I 'Was' registered as a Tester.

Presently I am Not registered as such due an 'issue' between Bioware Security, myself and EA regarding contractual ownership of certain pre-existing agreements which Bioware was never a part of but somehow thinks they now are administrator's of.

Given that my account was sent that Email, the status of my account with SWTOR, the amount of Hate mail and verbal arguments I've had with BW support/EA Support and soon EA HQ as per escalation process, I think its safe to say that BW/SWTOR is doing what they said they wouldn't do.

Namely: having an Open Beta (where the entry cutoff was Nov 11th) and spamming everyone thats signed up for the Beta previously.

Gratz to those that wanted to get into it and finally heard they will.

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

I just received the beta weekend invite email (EU) from Bioware. The message also states that beta codes will be distributed among game industry sites and that i shall not acquire nor redeem one of these codes as this would jeopardize my invite from Bioware.

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679

Originally posted by Shodanas

I just received the beta weekend invite email (EU) from Bioware. The message also states that beta codes will be distributed among game industry sites and that i shall not acquire nor redeem one of these codes as this would jeopardize my invite from Bioware.

It also states:

"Additional details for this upcoming test will be announced soon".

So it's just an advance notice of an upcoming stress test with further information nearer the time.