Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest II: F2P Announcement Trailer

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Sony Online Entertainment announced earlier this week that EverQuest 2 would finally be going free to play in early December. To celebrate the announcement, the dev team produced a nifty new video showing off the epic scope of EQ2. Check it out!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• YakCastYakCast Member Posts: 59

You can polish a turd all you want. Nice video but 5+ years too late.  I laughed so hard at the end and almost fell out of my chair, when it said "The Ultimate MMO Experience" Not only that it was 30 seconds too long. Good try SOE, just wait until SWTOR is out!

Yak Cast | MMO Podcast: http://www.yak.mmoSmackTalk.com
    Follow me on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/yakmmosmacktalk
    Follow me on Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/YakCast

• xersentxersent Member Posts: 613

When did this video come out?? i saw this like 3 weeks ago.. is it ment to be new this week?

• rutaqrutaq Member UncommonPosts: 428

If you ignore the neglected PvP part of EQ2, it ranks righ up there against anything that has come out in the last 10 tears.  I am not a Fanboy yet and only started playing a couple months ago but I can't ignore what the game offers becuase of my love of SWTOR.

1)  Graphics / model detail / textures,  it is certianly in the top 3 or 4 of all MMOs.  From a technical engine perspective I think the texture size and polygon counts of Age of Conan are still the highest of any MMO.  SWOTR looks great and has a great arti director but it is still cartoony and built to run on sub par systems.

2)  Character / Class options:  EQ2 offers 20 race / 24 classes / Multiple AA Trees, etc other than RIFTs with the Soul SYstem no MMOs has that many options.

3)  Quests, Raids, Lore :  Huge amount of story and Lore that goes all the way back through EQ1.  More Quests, Dungeons and RAIDs than any of current MMO.  (  EQ1 may beat out EQ2 slightly but it is 10 years old )

4)  Crafting / Customization:  EQ2 has very detailed crafting that actually has a mini game system built in.   It is one of the only current MMOs that focus on crafting in a significant manner and supports it as almost it's own character class.   And this is after a rebuild of the old crafting system a couple years ago when it was 200% more complex and more involved. 

5) Guild support:  EQ2  offers the most detailed Guild system available in current MMOs.  The level of controls, options, bonuses and even the building of Guild Halls is way beyond it's competitors.

6)  Immersion:  EQ2 is ok, with the voice acting but  I think there are other MMOs that are more immersive better.  The "con" system and risk flags on the Mobs are too much.

7)  UI / addons:  EQ2 is terrible.  The UI is very dated and clunky and locked down so the community can't do much to help with addons.

So after 5 years and an aging game engine  EQ2 still tops the list of MMOs and has nothing to fear from SWOTR.   SWOTR looks to be a great game but there isn't much new or innovative, also it will have limited content until it can get a couple expansions under it's belt.

• QuicksandQuicksand Member UncommonPosts: 683

Originally posted by YakCast

You can polish a turd all you want. Nice video but 5+ years too late.  I laughed so hard at the end and almost fell out of my chair, when it said "The Ultimate MMO Experience" Not only that it was 30 seconds too long. Good try SOE, just wait until SWTOR is out!

Sorry but wayyyy off.

I don't play EQ2, but you can not deny the fact (SOE hate aside) that EQ2 is a very well done game with an insane amount of content for the PvE MMO fan. Maybe it's not your cup of tea (Not mine, but then, I don't drink tea) but it is still a very good game.

www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

• Johnchief117Johnchief117 Member Posts: 19

Wait what? I thought this game already went Free to Play O.o

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Nicely done video.  It's an okay game and it would rate as one of the better MMOs on my list if it didn't have that gawd awful combo based combat.  I can't stand any game that tells me when and in what order to push my buttons.

• YakCastYakCast Member Posts: 59

Originally posted by Quicksand

Sorry but wayyyy off.

I don't play EQ2, but you can not deny the fact (SOE hate aside) that EQ2 is a very well done game with an insane amount of content for the PvE MMO fan. Maybe it's not your cup of tea (Not mine, but then, I don't drink tea) but it is still a very good game.

If you haven't played the game, then you really don't know what you are talking about! You logic is false and invalid! Remember SOE = Screw Over Everyone!

Yak Cast | MMO Podcast: http://www.yak.mmoSmackTalk.com
    Follow me on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/yakmmosmacktalk
    Follow me on Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/YakCast

• AzmodaiAzmodai Member UncommonPosts: 154

I want to see the faces of These SWTOR fanboys when It get the Warhammer treatment =D. TOR brings nothing new to the table of MMO so dont think that it will be as sucessful as WOW because lets face it, not many Will even get half way.

On the other hand GW2 Tera, Archage, The secret world will be On Par With TOR or very close, Each 1 of them has its own fanbase and are very different. 2012 will bring a very nice variaty of MMOs to the market. 

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

Originally posted by Quicksand

Sorry but wayyyy off.

If you haven't played the game, then you really don't know what you are talking about! You logic is false and invalid! Remember SOE = Screw Over Everyone!

I have played the game over 5 years now and i disagree. Hate SOE all you want but EQ2 is one of the better MMO experince avilable in market and huge amount of content which would last you for years. 

Calling EQ2 a turd is just being over dramatic.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

Originally posted by rutaq

1)  Graphics / model detail / textures,  it is certianly in the top 3 or 4 of all MMOs.  From a technical engine perspective I think the texture size and polygon counts of Age of Conan are still the highest of any MMO.  SWOTR looks great and has a great arti director but it is still cartoony and built to run on sub par systems.

Unfortunately, the engine is a problem in EQ2. It is very heavy on the CPU still and doesn't seem to really account for multicore despite having the option to tick it. The textures are a little hit-or-miss too in some areas of the game. But the game is beautiful on the high settings. If SOE revamped the character models and redid some of the character animations, it would be great. I am not wishing for a new engine though because I know that will definitely never happen!

7)  UI / addons:  EQ2 is terrible.  The UI is very dated and clunky and locked down so the community can't do much to help with addons.

The UI is highly customizable but it takes time. It is in fact one of the most customizable out of any game I have played. It is not fully intuitive and requires a bit of fiddling around with. It is true that there are no addons really for this game, other than that map one, but to me that is a blessing more than anything else.

EQ2 is one of the most awesome MMORPGs out there. I've been playing it for over a year and I still haven't discovered everything there is to discover, not even close!

However, I really recommend paying a sub rather than doing the whole 'free' thing. Free is too restrictive to really enjoy this game to the fullest extent.

My two centimes...

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.