Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which would you rather have Bethesda or Bioware?

BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562

If it was up to you to choose one company to develop a MMO set in a completely NEW setting/story, would you want bioware or bethesda? Simple question.

Comments

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Bioware seems too good at making tunnels.  SWTOR might change that, so its hard to say for sure.

I love Bethesda for Single player all the way, but I wouldn't really want them to make an MMO because their single player games are too awesome.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Impossible to choose. Will not vote.

It's like choosing between a lovely girl's left and right boob ( ... which also starts with a B, so extra true).

• PoufPouf Member Posts: 341

I do not like Bethesda. They didnt accept the quake challenge from Mincraft's creators

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689

Oh, the horror. Imagine the amount of bugs in a Bethesda MMO.

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

Originally posted by Pouf

I do not like Bethesda. They didnt accept the quake challenge from Mincraft's creators

I wonder how many people actually expected them too.  I love minecraft, but if the Bethesda devs start acting like Notch then we would see Bethesdas dev time go from 4 years to about 7.  If you break down notchs time spent doing activities into 10 segments, it seems like he does 8 parts random shit, 2 parts coding.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395

Neither of these have delivered an MMO.  Though Bioware is closer to it.  

Bethesda delivers a buggy product and is not particularly speedy at patching it.  Bioware thinks that WoW is the bees knees.  Both have issues.   No vote, ditto.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Both companies are good doing their own stuff, so I am not sure that comparing them is even possible.

I do however feel that both companies have gone downwards the last few years. Biowares masterpiece is still "Neverwinter nights", the stuff they have been doing since never got that good again. The same thing is true for Bethesda, Morrowind and Daggerfall are better than anything they done later (but I havn't tried Skyrim right so it might change it all).

I just can't vote, Bethesda is better on sandboxy things and stuff like random dungeons, but Bioware is better on telling a good story and making npcs that people actually remembers. Whichever is best is just personal preferance.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

Originally posted by Kaerigan

This would have been my post.

The real question is: If Bethesda and Obsidian teamed up on an MMO, would there be half the bugs, or twice the bugs?

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Originally posted by Kaerigan

This would have been my post.

The real question is: If Bethesda and Obsidian teamed up on an MMO, would there be half the bugs, or twice the bugs?

I can't coment on bugs.  But you would have 15 different paths for moral choices, but it will be impossible to tell which are the good, which are the bad, and which are neutral. (That is, if you allow Obsidian to handle them).

• MMOSareDEADMMOSareDEAD Member Posts: 47

Neither. They're both good at doing single player games and that's what they should stick with imo.

• BergirBergir Member Posts: 299

Bethesda largely improves every game and sticks to what they are gifted at, single player games. Bioware, was great, lets face it they have taken a serious downhill trend since getting in bed with EA and drifting into online, something they aren't very good at as everyone will soon find out.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

I've played two Bethesda games - oblivion (which i hated) and fallout 3 (which i rather enjoyed).

I've played virtually everything BioWare has ever made and have liked or loved most of it.

Before BioWare ever made an MMO i thought they would be a great company to make an MMO.  However, their design for SWTOR made me realize that they've only ever made ONE game and have been reskinning it ever since.  There is no creativity or innovation in their gameplay design, only in the stories themselves (and even these are getting rehashed).  They're extremely good at writing a story, but have no skill at all at creating any kind of overarching game systems.  For creating an MMO, the latter is much more important. 

Bethesda to me is unknown.  As i said, i hated oblivion and while i liked F3, but i didn't love it nearly as much as BioWare single-player games.   They seem to be more adept at creating greater game systems than BioWare, but honestly, I am not sure how that capability would transfer to MMOs.

So no vote for me either.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• Biggus99Biggus99 Member Posts: 916

Originally posted by MMOSareDEAD

Neither. They're both good at doing single player games and that's what they should stick with imo.

Silly statement.  Before WoW, Blizzard was only good at doing strategy or action games.  Should they have just stuck to those?  

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

I would probably prefer Bioware, but I think a open world game from Bethesda will be better for the genre. Additionally, I don't think if they both made a MMO they will really compete with each other. The gameplay is quite different in games from these studios. 

• DewmDewm Member UncommonPosts: 1,337

Deffinitly Bethesda, Morrowind, and Oblivion were awesome...and Skyrim looks to be 100% also.

Never cared for Bioware games. they are to dark and dimented. and just...crap

Hopefully the suicide rate won't go up to much when SWTOR is released.

Please check out my channel. I do gaming reviews, gaming related reviews & lets plays. Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BettyofDewm/videos

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Originally posted by arieste 

Before BioWare ever made an MMO i thought they would be a great company to make an MMO.  However, their design for SWTOR made me realize that they've only ever made ONE game and have been reskinning it ever since.  There is no creativity or innovation in their gameplay design, only in the stories themselves (and even these are getting rehashed).  They're extremely good at writing a story, but have no skill at all at creating any kind of overarching game systems.  For creating an MMO, the latter is much more important. 

I'm curious what makes you think there games are rehashed? And which game you believe is the one they've been rehashing from. 

A game such as Mass Effect 2 plays out quite a bit differently than Dragon Age: Origins.

• Rusty715Rusty715 Member Posts: 482

Im one of those guys that just didnt care for Oblivion but did find some enjoyment in Morrowind. On the other hand Bioware games have always been a fun time. Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale, ME, all great games.  To me, a single player games heavy on story is a good thing to keep me interested. In an MMO, not so much. While I enjoy some lore in an MMO its not the main reason I play them. TOR seems to me to be a single player game with a monthy sub fee with an option to play it like an MMO  and holds no interest for me at this point.

Really? This game sucks and Im not having fun? Im going to unsub right now. Thanks for the tip.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Both companies are great game maker's and I would love to see what both could do with an MMO. Bioware's will launch in just over a month and I would love to see what Bethesda could do with one as I would guess it would be a AAA sandbox looking at their preferred style of RPG's.

No vote here as I would like to see MMO's from both companies.

I enjoy themeparks and sandboxes. What I dont enjoy are mindless grinds.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• KilraneKilrane Member UncommonPosts: 322

Bethesda hands down.

I lost faith in BioWare after the EA aquisition.  ME 1&2 aren't horrible but I really didn't feel they were upto par for BioWare, and then you have DA....I hate DA 1 and I didn't bother with 2.  I know I'm in the minority on this but I think they have lost their touch over the years.

• MMOSareDEADMMOSareDEAD Member Posts: 47

Originally posted by Biggus99

Silly statement.  Before WoW, Blizzard was only good at doing strategy or action games.  Should they have just stuck to those?  

Genre is irrelevant. What's important here is knowing what makes a single or multiplayer gamer tick. Bioware and Bethesda have zero multiplayer experience whereas Blizzard has always been about multiplayer games.

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

Well Blizzard did pick up some people pretty well versed in the MMO scene at the time prior to making WoW and it might have been what allowed them to float for such a long time so they could build their own philosophy.  Alex Afrasiabi and Jeff Kaplan both came straight from Everquest 1 prior to being developers.  Bioware should've done that and Bethesda would have to as well (especially since Bethesda has ZERO multiplayer experience).

They'd both be stepping outside of their fairly confined game design experience, in my opinion.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

I lost all fait in Bethesda after Rage.

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

Originally posted by CalmOceans

I lost all fait in Bethesda after Rage.

Bethesda only published RAGE.  Are you sure you lost faith in Bethesda?

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

Genre is irrelevant. What's important here is knowing what makes a single or multiplayer gamer tick. Bioware and Bethesda have zero multiplayer experience whereas Blizzard has always been about multiplayer games.

Bioware does have Mythic to draw from as well, I think. Seeing as how they refer to themselves as Bioware/Mythic.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• XerathuleXerathule Member UncommonPosts: 114

Originally posted by marinrider

Bioware seems too good at making tunnels.  SWTOR might change that, so its hard to say for sure.

I love Bethesda for Single player all the way, but I wouldn't really want them to make an MMO because their single player games are too awesome.

Yeah, but they could do both too.  Why not have both worlds?