Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sequel to Lineage Announced! (TRAILER IS OUT)

2»

Comments

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Originally posted by GTwander

So much beef with the iso-view, ffs...

Do you all purposely avoid RTS' because you can't zoom in and worship yourself?

No but an RTS isn't an MMORPG.  It's hard for me to identify my character or feel as if I belong in a living, breathing gameworld when I'm looking straight down at my character from about 100 feet.  In an RTS, I don't have to identify with my character, and I need the extra view space to manage my 1,000s of ground units.  Nevertheless, a lot of RTS games allow for free camera movement.

It has nothing to do with any sense of ego.  It's all about providing options for the player.  Sometimes I play an RTS and I like to zoom in during a large battle simply because it feels more cinematic than something I'm viewing from basically the cockpit of a goodyear blimp.

What feature has been announced for Lineage 3 that would be negatively effected by a third person view or a less restricted camera angle like in L2? 

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

http://event.plaync.co.kr/Gstar/2011/le/
    THE OFFICIAL Lineage Eternal Trailer is out on the Gstar-preview website for LE.

YOu can also find it on PlayNC's official Youtube channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q-OV2ix_HU

And yes. The trailer is 14 minute long.

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• DepartedSoulDepartedSoul Member UncommonPosts: 99

Sorry D3, you lose!

This viewpoint is amazing, brings me back to Baldurs Gate days.. And its a full fledged mmo with massive siege warfare. That trailer is nothing short of amazing.

For the ones who think this is negative, watch the trailer, the scope you get from this view is amazing. And you can zoom in..

CANT WAIT FOR THIS!

When a man lies... he murders some part of the World.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Isometric view, I approve. Looks good.

• travdotytravdoty Member UncommonPosts: 274

Goodbye Diablo 3, now you're failure at not being more than just D2.5 has now just been solidified. Hello L:E :)

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

Originally posted by SuperXero89

Such a serious fail.  There's no way to legitimately justify a forced isometric viewpoint in 2011 and beyond.  We can only hope those screenshots don't indicate that the entire game will force players to play from that perspective.

You do know that isometric view is the preferred flavor with dungeon crawlers like Diablo, Torchlight, KULTAN, and what Lineage Eternal is shaping to be, right? It's not the result of an outdated system.

• tekniko64tekniko64 Member Posts: 58

Where is the trailer that you mentioned?  As far I know it is not out until tomorrow.  Plus you added no link to this "trailer".

• DepartedSoulDepartedSoul Member UncommonPosts: 99

When a man lies... he murders some part of the World.

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

Originally posted by tekniko64

Where is the trailer that you mentioned?  As far I know it is not out until tomorrow.  Plus you added no link to this "trailer".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q-OV2ix_HU

• DrSpankyDrSpanky Member Posts: 341

wow, that does look pretty cool. Too bad I suck at pvp. Hope you pvp guys enjoy.

It's a proven historical fact that beer saved humankind.

Originally posted by Omali

Originally posted by SuperXero89
    Such a serious fail.  There's no way to legitimately justify a forced isometric viewpoint in 2011 and beyond.  We can only hope those screenshots don't indicate that the entire game will force players to play from that perspective.
    You do know that isometric view is the preferred flavor with dungeon crawlers like Diablo, Torchlight, KULTAN, and what Lineage Eternal is shaping to be, right? It's not the result of an outdated system.

Not to mention isometric viewpoint is one of the defining factors of Lineage I, thus its only normal for game going back to its roots to also have it :)

# ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

I was excited to check out the trailer but now, having seen it, I'm a bit deflated.

Where's the "MMO" part in it?

I mean, from what I saw, they showed players, solo and in teams, going through what looked like very much instanced/personal encounter type areas. The only massive combat I saw was early on in the video, but that still looked like an individual player simpy fighting their way through a very crowded area with fighting going on all around them.

The only place I saw other players around was in towns.

Now granted, the whole thing is in Korean, which I don't understand, and it's only just been revealed which means there will very likely be a lot of press coverage about it which will probably explain more...

But as of now, it basically looks like they've gone with a more Guild Wars type set up... Basically an entirely instanced world except for Social Hubs where players can team up, etc. I didn't see anything where players were out in the field, with other players doing their own thing. Even Lineage 1 had that element.

And from what I could tell, there was no actual PvP happening. Unless I misunderstood what I was seeing at some point in the vid where it was showed...?

What they've shown so far just doesn't look very MMORPG-like to me at all. Maybe that'll change in future updates.

All that said.. it looks fantastic. I mean, if they were to say "It's closer to Diablo II but with persistent online hub areas"  then it would make sense. As of now though, having played Lineage 2 a lot, and Lineage 1 for a bit as well... nothing in that vid really screamed "Lineage" to me in terms of gameplay.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by Exilor

Isometric, in this day and age? That takes some courage...

X-com was isometric, albeit turn-based.  They are simply following in the footsteps of greatness.

Originally posted by Unlight

Originally posted by Exilor

Isometric, in this day and age? That takes some courage...

X-com was isometric, albeit turn-based.  They are simply following in the footsteps of greatness.

Yeah.. There's nothing wrong with isometric, just like there's nothing wrong with 2D graphics.

There are simply some people who can't differentiate between what they don't like subjectively, and what is "no good" objectively and believe they're the same thing.

It's like some who argue "subscriptions are outdated and archaic". No they're not. They're as valid a payment system as they've ever been. Again, because they don't like them personally, they mistakenly think "they must be no good". Of course, you mostly see those who are pushing for F2P make that assertion the most.... so there's an ulterior motive to it, of course.

It's the same idea, though.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,

• AlyvianAlyvian Member Posts: 342

if this is L3 i will pass :/

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Originally posted by WSIMike

I was excited to check out the trailer but now, having seen it, I'm a bit deflated.

I mean, from what I saw, they showed players, solo and in teams, going through what looked like very much instanced/personal encounter type areas. The only massive combat I saw was early on in the video, but that still looked like an individual player simpy fighting their way through a very crowded area with fighting going on all around them.

Now granted, the whole thing is in Korean, which I don't understand, and it's only just been revealed which means there will very likely be a lot of press coverage about it which will probably explain more...

But as of now, it basically looks like they've gone with a more Guild Wars type set up... Basically an entirely instanced world except for Social Hubs where players can team up, etc. I didn't see anything where players were out in the field, with other players doing their own thing. Even Lineage 1 had that element.

And from what I could tell, there was no actual PvP happening. Unless I misunderstood what I was seeing at some point in the vid where it was showed...?

What they've shown so far just doesn't look very MMORPG-like to me at all. Maybe that'll change in future updates.

All that said.. it looks fantastic. I mean, if they were to say "It's closer to Diablo II but with persistent online hub areas"  then it would make sense. As of now though, having played Lineage 2 a lot, and Lineage 1 for a bit as well... nothing in that vid really screamed "Lineage" to me in terms of gameplay.

These were pretty much my thoughts as well. I wasn't seeing anything but pve. Which looked fun enough in a diablo sort of way but I wasn't about to get my wallet out and preorder.

Well, we'll see.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • rounnerrounner Member UncommonPosts: 725

Sorry to nitpick:

Isometric is a fixed scale on a plane, useful for engineering drawing that you want to measure against and also so 2d tiles could be rendered anywhere on the screen the same size. This just looks like a perspective render with forced top down camera angles from a large distance (relative to other mmo's).  This gives high quality 3D rendering without the burden of having to draw distant objects. You also get to see the gear and moves of your avatar in full view.

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

So far am undecided on how I feel about the isometric setup. It seems ok to me and a bit nostalgic, yet I do like having a sense that I'm my character and isometric view does kind of take away from that nowadays.

Originally posted by Sovrath

Originally posted by WSIMike

These were pretty much my thoughts as well. I wasn't seeing anything but pve. Which looked fun enough in a diablo sort of way but I wasn't about to get my wallet out and preorder.

Well, we'll see.

Yeah, I mean, from what I've seen elsewhere, they're talking about PvP, Sieges, player-driven politics, etc...

Maybe they haven't revealed those elements yet...

To be fair, though, the orcs they show at one point do have the same sort of "lurch" in their posture and animations as the ones in L2... so there's that at least :)

Having watched the video again, with English subtitles this time.

The gameplay itself looks like a lot of fun. I just really am eager to see the parts of the gameplay that give it that Lineage feel... so far we have nice graphics and some Lineage-specific lore... Still waiting to see the PvP/community/politics/sieging aspects of it.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

This is not a sequel to Lineage 2. This is a entire new game from NC Soft and it does look amazing. Yea, sorry Diablo 3 but this is what happens when it takes you too long to release and another company notices that people still want this type of game. Great job NC Soft!

• the combat style is more in line with the likes of L1 with a bit of TWEWT than Diablo and its not a clickfest.
    • The game is a mix of instances(dungeons, some story quests, etc) and persistent world
    • The Siege systems are still not clearly defined and are under discusion on how to do them as well as which areas should be "sieged", however one of major game focus parts are large-scale player vs player battles.
    • THERE WILL BE PERSISTENT FFA PK zones in game, its just that they won't cover entire world.
    • Currently only human race is announced, however that will change once they finish up the currently known class development.

# ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON