Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Fansite Summit #2 Reactions

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

MMORPG.com Community Manager Michael Bitton has some thoughts on the latest Old Republic news, including new details coming out of the latest Fansite Summit. Check out what he has to say and leave your comments below!

This week, members of the Star Wars: The Old Republic fansite community were invited out to BioWare Austin for the second Fansite Summit event, and we’ve already learned some interesting things as information has trickled out. One of the most eye-opening possible revelations coming out of the event comes from SWTOR-RP’s report on their Q&A with BioWare’s James Ohlen. During the Q&A, it appears James confirmed that coveted appearance tab would now be a reality. According to SWTOR-RP, James stated that the appearance tab is “high” on the developers’ radar and will be coming to The Old Republic “soon.”

Read more of Michael Bitton's Star Wars: The Old Republic: Fansite Summit #2 Reactions.

Comments

• ningastyle47ningastyle47 Member Posts: 19
    @precious328 hopefully never...
  • VindictusVindictus Member UncommonPosts: 49

I thought the 'Item Modification System' only applies to certain special items, and not across the whole game. I think the majority of items will work in the traditional MMO style, so an appearance tab option will be great.

• goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412

Originally posted by precious328

{mod edit}

Nope, right after you personally buy the game.

They've got it all lined up. They've got your credit-card numbers and personal information and they've got a script working on their servers that launches the cash-shop the second an account with your credit-card and personal information signs up.

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Regarding the PvP parts of this story; with Void Star being nothing, based on the reveals, but a 8 v 8 team-based instanced arena shoe-box third-person redundant shooter, a hypothetical concern is that with each run, it will show it to be just another generic instanced dungeon that one is expected to find entertaining over and over and over and over again.

On top of that, a player has to trudge through 3-6 months of single-player / cooperative online rpg game-play with redundant content, while paying $15/month, in order to get to the only thing I've heard of that might be considered a "massively-multiplayer" feature; level 50 end-game Ilum.

I can see the boredom setting in very quickly, as it did with WAR again.  Running the same single-player linear and funneled pve content and the same cooperatively instanced small-team shoe-box battlegrounds repetitively mindnumbing content for months in order to get at anything that resembles community-centric and incentivised "massively-multiplayer".

I hope it's worth it, because the more I hear about the lack of massively-multiplayer features over linear and repetitive content, it concerns me.

• OhMyGothOhMyGoth Member UncommonPosts: 56

Originally posted by precious328

{mod edit}

Just a bit curious, have you been in beta yet or just assuming this game is WoW 2.0 based on the info out or video's released? As for your comment on a cash shop, highly doubtful, really no place for one in this game.

• xxantiheroxxxxantiheroxx Member UncommonPosts: 68

First, I doubt it will take most people 3-6 months to get to 50. Maybe 2 months tops for most people. Each class story is said to be around 200 hours, so even if somebody only plays 4 hours a day thats still under 2 months.

Also, Ilum isn't the ONLY open PvP planet. You can start doing open world PvP when you get to Tatooine around level 20.

• DrWookieDrWookie Member UncommonPosts: 263

Originally posted by xxantiheroxx

First, I doubt it will take most people 3-6 months to get to 50. Maybe 2 months tops for most people. Each class story is said to be around 200 hours, so even if somebody only plays 4 hours a day thats still under 2 months.

Also, Ilum isn't the ONLY open PvP planet. You can start doing open world PvP when you get to Tatooine around level 20.

I'm sorry I just had to laugh when I read "So even if somebody ONLY plays 4 hours a day"...

Maybe for you that is super lowball...but for a lot of people 4 hours a day may only happen on weekends, and even then when we are lucky. Sometimes I only play 4 hours a week. 4 hours is pretty much all I have at home after getting home from work before sleeping.

• Hekate27Hekate27 Member Posts: 47

I must be old fashioned, or perhaps just old, but why would anyone want to rush to end-game.  This is a place to explore I personally hope to be exploring for a few years, this fad for rush, rush, rush frankly bemuses me.  it is not as though the end-game is going away it will still be there when you get maxed out.  Surely it is all about the journey.  And when we arrive hopefully there will be something new and exciting to see, but I am happy to take my time getting there and to experience all that Bioware has created for us.  Remember you will only get to experience it for the first time once.  After that rolling an alt, even with a new storyline, will be into a universe that you will already know, so please try to enjoy this opportunity.

Do what thou wilt, and harm ye none. - Witches Rede

Originally posted by DrWookie

I'm sorry I just had to laugh when I read "So even if somebody ONLY plays 4 hours a day"...

Maybe for you that is super lowball...but for a lot of people 4 hours a day may only happen on weekends, and even then when we are lucky. Sometimes I only play 4 hours a week. 4 hours is pretty much all I have at home after getting home from work before sleeping.

Well that's fine, and while that may be true for you, the "average" mmo player usually plays somewhere around 20-25 hours a week according to most polls I've seen. So going on the lower end of that, if each class playthrough is actually around 200 hours, you're looking at around 10 weeks or a little over 2 months for the average person to reach end game. 

And with TOR releasing in DEC, that's not really taking into account a lot of the people that will be on winter break from school, and not taking into account the people that will be taking time off of work.

• uthardautharda Member UncommonPosts: 15

Ohhhh, we can has alarm clocking?

Ie.  thanks I missed enough sleep due to eve.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Actually, you can PvP on any planet where both factions reside.  Tatooine is just one of those planets,  but you run into the opposite faction before that.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Well that's fine, and while that may be true for you, the "average" mmo player usually plays somewhere around 20-25 hours a week according to most polls I've seen. So going on the lower end of that, if each class playthrough is actually around 200 hours, you're looking at around 10 weeks or a little over 2 months for the average person to reach end game. 

And with TOR releasing in DEC, that's not really taking into account a lot of the people that will be on winter break from school, and not taking into account the people that will be taking time off of work.

But what about the casual players who don't go to forums, websites or answer polls?

There are mmo players who dont' come near to that 20-25 hours per week.

20-25 hours per week is quite a bit. So sure,  the average active involved mmo players might be doing the 20-25 hours per week but the averge person who just logs in for some play time is not going to come close to that time.

There is a difference between a "gamer" who suddenly finds that he/she has a busy life but carves out time for games and the average person who just plays games in their off time for fun.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

Rare resources only in a PvP area.... same ol tired ploy to get PvEers to be fodder for the PvPers. I suppose with the Mythic meatheads designing it, they thought it was a great idea.

• ghost047ghost047 Member UncommonPosts: 597

It's not only 200 hours of gameplay, it's 200 hours of story, you have to add the world quest which are shared with everyone.

Get a life you freaking Gamer.....no no, you don't understand, I'm a Gamer, I have many lives!!

• CalibanvovCalibanvov Member UncommonPosts: 192

Please allow the "take over" in the wee hours of the night.  Because, Im a night shift guy and we have rights too!   Malgus and Shaatelle would did not sign a peace treaty from Midnight too noon!

:-)

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Glad to see even after putting a lot of work into another system they're willing to give in and give players what they've been asking for.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

First off there are 15 flashpoints that u can start running at level 8 and go all the wayt o max level. U could avoid all class and world story arcs if u wanted to level that way. U could do pvp from level 10 up as well. 

There is world pvp areas on more then just illum its just illum is a dedicated pvp planet. They have said the pvp part wont affect the pve aspects of the planet in the q and a i read. They did say there would be rare objectives for those that control illum though. 

So with flashpoints from level 8 up, pvp warzones, pvp lakes on multiple planets. open world pvp on pvp servers there is tons of mmo stuff to do not to mention crafting. 

So there is tons of mmo stuff to do besides your" single player class story"  lies people keep spouting on this site to downgrade tor. 

Oh and as for gw 2 fans whens that coming out anyways 2014. They havent even got a beta date yet. Come on people i expect secret world  to be out before gw2 if gw2 even ever hits the market.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

Another very well written article, so thanks. I admit that in WAR I did do those things in the wee hours sometimes, but thats only because it was allowed and its not my fault that on the server when I was playing at 1:00AM Pacific Time that people went to sleep too early in their time zones lol.

There Is Always Hope!

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by Cik_Asalin

On top of that, a player has to trudge through 3-6 months of single-player / cooperative online rpg game-play with redundant content, while paying $15/month, in order to get to the only thing I've heard of that might be considered a "massively-multiplayer" feature; level 50 end-game Ilum.

I can see the boredom setting in very quickly, as it did with WAR again.  Running the same single-player linear and funneled pve content and the same cooperatively instanced small-team shoe-box battlegrounds repetitively mindnumbing content for months in order to get at anything that resembles community-centric and incentivised "massively-multiplayer".

I hope it's worth it, because the more I hear about the lack of massively-multiplayer features over linear and repetitive content, it concerns me.

Can the nonsense arguments please, it's getting tiresome and ridiculous.

According to your evaluation, all themepark MMORPG's are not massively multiplayer and people would've stopped playing them within a month or 3, while reality shows that MMO gamers have played the themepark MMORPG of their choice like WoW, LotrO etc for many months longer, doing the stuff that according to you isn't massively multiplayer or is mindnumbingly repetitive. Get real please.

As for the article, I'd read the info elsewhere already. Sounds interesting, will see how it turns out. I'm curious about the PvP objectives on other planets though, up till now there have been hints about it but nothing concrete.

The average MMO playtime in a week was stated to be around 20-25 hours based on surveys done. I can see however that this may be more in the first couple of weeks for a lot of people.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Great write up and I share your concerns about the appearance tab and the uncontested objective grabbing. The latter would be easily solved by some kind of counter measuring the amount of opposition in the pvp area: if its low or non-existant, bonusses and rewards should be a lot lower too (but still a little worth your while).

I also was putting my hopes on the item modification system as a means for elaborate customization in looks, having an appearance tab allongside of that does make it kind of redundant: you'll use your best mods in the very best (class based) gear anyway. But maybe there's more to it. I'm curious.

Thanks for the update.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Having an appearance tab is so nice.  Especially when you're in a big group and several people of the same class and level can be easily distinguished from each other.  If you take a look around at real life, people like to express themselves through their attire.

There is nothing worse than having carbon copies of people standing around.  And if they are going with preset faces, not sure if they are or not, but if they are that will only compound the clone effect.  Then we WILL BE having Clone wars, but the wrong kind in this gamer's opinion.

This is a commonly asked for feature and is high on the list for RP'ers.  

• DrWookieDrWookie Member UncommonPosts: 263

I can tell you I've never answered any polls, and I bet the vast majority of casual players haven't either. So while I'm sure that is average in whatever polling group, it is without a doubt a biased sampling. (Not to mention 20-25 hours does even equate to 4 hours a day, it equals less...and you were treating 4 hours like some bare minimum). The winter break thing is also a difficult argument since the average age of people who play games has gone up significantly and many of us have families and are spending winter break with them, instead of sitting on our computers all day long.

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Four hours a day is pretty rwasonable... If you don't have a job, have to go to school, or have a family.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Best news ever :) thank you BW! I'm a huge RvR fan and this will float my boat.

I can tell you I've never answered any polls, and I bet the vast majority of casual players haven't either. So while I'm sure that is average in whatever polling group, it is without a doubt a biased sampling. (Not to mention 20-25 hours does even equate to 4 hours a day, it equals less...and you were treating 4 hours like some bare minimum). The winter break thing is also a difficult argument since the average age of people who play games has gone up significantly and many of us have families and are spending winter break with them, instead of sitting on our computers all day long.

You're absolutely right, and I retract my previous statement. You've made it obvious to me now that the majority of MMO players are casual players that can only play about 4 hours a week. I guess that's why it takes most people a year to get to end game in these themepark MMOs. Guess us hardcore 25 hour a week players are going to have to wait for 6+ months for the majority of people to get to end game just so we can have some open world Ilum PvP. Darn it.