Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Holiday Events in GW2

Comments

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by Havran

I dont think thats event for 4th. of July. Is this date special anyhow ?

American Independance Day.  Pretty important to us Americans, where it seems like most western MMO's come out of image

• aithieelaithieel Member Posts: 232

I trule adore holidays in Guild Wars, especially because I joined game during Chrismas event. Snowball arena is just pure fun :)!

• ChloroCatChloroCat Member Posts: 98

Nothing like the evil city of Freeport decorating the city in festive candy canes and Christmas trees. SOE is the biggest holiday whore of all the times.

Jymm Byuu
    Playing : Blood Bowl. Waiting for 2. Holding breath for Archeage and EQN.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

Originally posted by davestr1zl

Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

God I hate holidays in MMORPGs.

They take away from work that could be spent elsewhere, they're always hokey ripoffs off real world holidays attempting to fit into the theme of the game in a way that comes off as a cheap joke more than it does as a real attempt to make a holiday inside the game's theme.

Ooooh, its WOOKIEE LIFE DAY. NOT CHRISTMAS. lolololololololol.

They're a goofy distraction from a game's real meat.

Agreed I cant stand them too, thats why I'm thankful that they confirmed no holiday events in SWTOR :D

holiday event are completely optional. You can continue with your usual play without participating in the event. so whats the problem..

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

Is it just me or is the Charr at the top of the article wearing a Mesmer mask? It could be a Ritualist one as I don't see eye slits but the Ritualist ones cover the entire head in GW1 so.. it could be a bit of a hint!

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

God I hate holidays in MMORPGs.

They take away from work that could be spent elsewhere, they're always hokey ripoffs off real world holidays attempting to fit into the theme of the game in a way that comes off as a cheap joke more than it does as a real attempt to make a holiday inside the game's theme.

Ooooh, its WOOKIEE LIFE DAY. NOT CHRISTMAS. lolololololololol.

They're a goofy distraction from a game's real meat.

I wouldnt say I hate but I could care less.  So many other articles could of been written to highlight or showcase this game, ohh well.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• ArcheAgeArcheAge Member Posts: 363
    The only holiday item that i was really happy with is Vanguards Randoff the red nose raindeer. He is a flying mount that anyone at any level can claim and use anyway other than over outdoor dungeons.

Mounts or flying mounts in vanguard will auto dismount you if you try and fly over or to get to a certain mob. The best thing is they let players keep the the mount forever but if you are a new player it's only their a christmas.
  • StebSteb Member UncommonPosts: 13

If they're going to be done, they need to be just as high quality as the game itself. Roller Beetle Ball was a perfect example. Cheap holiday events like those in WoW just feel cheap and trashy.

However, having a winter festivil for example with snowball-esc themed pvp matches with all sorts of snow based attacks etc things like that, on a specific winter map so on and so forth, would be a great way to incorperate the games mechanics, in a fun, and unique way that made the holidays really something special, not just another random grindfest, with almost no entertainment value.

I'm invisioning Candy Cane Summoning Staff (Summons minions, and ice / snow spells), Ice throwers *an ice flamethrower*, Snowball Bazookas, and snowball utility skills. All set on a specific winter pvp map for the holiday, with some exclusive apperance armor that isn't based around the holiday its from, so that their is some kind of carrot at the end of the stick to participate in it, and after the holiday is over, you dont have people running around in santa outfits, but rather just normal cool looking gear earned from the event.

• idgaradidgarad Member Posts: 174

The older I get, the more I realize just how disrespectful we have become to people's faith. You don't have to be religious to understand the word reverence. Seasonal sure, holidays, some. But I'd rather be respectful of my neighbors beliefs rather then make fun of them, regardless if believe what they do.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

Originally posted by Steb

If they're going to be done, they need to be just as high quality as the game itself. Roller Beetle Ball was a perfect example. Cheap holiday events like those in WoW just feel cheap and trashy.

However, having a winter festivil for example with snowball-esc themed pvp matches with all sorts of snow based attacks etc things like that, on a specific winter map so on and so forth, would be a great way to incorperate the games mechanics, in a fun, and unique way that made the holidays really something special, not just another random grindfest, with almost no entertainment value.

I'm invisioning Candy Cane Summoning Staff (Summons minions, and ice / snow spells), Ice throwers *an ice flamethrower*, Snowball Bazookas, and snowball utility skills. All set on a specific winter pvp map for the holiday, with some exclusive apperance armor that isn't based around the holiday its from, so that their is some kind of carrot at the end of the stick to participate in it, and after the holiday is over, you dont have people running around in santa outfits, but rather just normal cool looking gear earned from the event.

I completely agree with everything you said EXCEPT for the non holiday armor thing. No, just no. I would participate regardless. But if you add a non holiday ANYTHING  that screws people who do not like holiday stuff. Its like saying "here is this really cool looking armor that has nothing to do with the holidays. Buuuuuuut you gotta do holiday stuff to obtain it." How does that make any sense what so ever?

As a matter of fact why does it need to have a reward like that at all? Its all about the fun. The one thing I liked in GW1 was the limited use/timed items that do holiday specific things.  Eventually people run out of "Boo Boxes". Unlike wow where there was a way to get every item out there year round. Be it perma pets/costumes or the snowball maker. Our server had many snowball fights in the middle of summer....

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

The first couple times i did holiday events it was cool,but that was a long time ago.All events are very cheap thrown together content and usually repeated exactly the next year.

I am pretty happy if the game just dresses up the towns with the apppropriate decorations for the seasonal events.I would like to see something along the lines of what ROM did a few times.Create a unique gear SET for the season.I have actually seen the same thing done in many 2D games as well...Fallen sword for example.This gear set would be powerful for say the month of the hoilday event but then render down a lot after the event.

I remember one game by Aeria games really messed up a Christmas event,they had some Christmas toque that gave like +20/25 in every stat,a little too powerful for just one item.I prefer when games give it a bonus for wearing the whole set.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• StebSteb Member UncommonPosts: 13

Originally posted by xenogias

Originally posted by Steb

I completely agree with everything you said EXCEPT for the non holiday armor thing. No, just no. I would participate regardless. But if you add a non holiday ANYTHING  that screws people who do not like holiday stuff. Its like saying "here is this really cool looking armor that has nothing to do with the holidays. Buuuuuuut you gotta do holiday stuff to obtain it." How does that make any sense what so ever?

As a matter of fact why does it need to have a reward like that at all? Its all about the fun. The one thing I liked in GW1 was the limited use/timed items that do holiday specific things.  Eventually people run out of "Boo Boxes". Unlike wow where there was a way to get every item out there year round. Be it perma pets/costumes or the snowball maker. Our server had many snowball fights in the middle of summer....

If I went into the middle of town and started screaming about the magical goldfish savior, They'd lock me up in a heartbeat. The world has become tolerant of insanity, so long as its collective, but is widely hypocritical to the man babbling on the side of the road.

Next time you see someone you think is batshit, just remember, it would be disrespectful to think they're insane, instead, just tell yourself, they just have a different view point from you, and it's just as legitimate as yours.

You opened this can of worms buddy, I'll be polite and close it for you.

• bakagamibakagami Member UncommonPosts: 152

I pretty much ignore the holiday events (Just like in RL)

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

Now i know why people on this site complain about mmo's so much, it's because they complain about everything in general.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I guess I am a Scrooge, because I think holiday events in MMOs are silly.

I remember the first easter in the beta of Lineage (2001?), I thought it was silly then and it is worse now.

I just don't see why a fantasy world should celebrate when Sanct Patrik converted the Irish or the birth of Jesus. It is fine to have special holidays that fit the game but X-mas never fitted in any game I played, it just add silliness to the games.

And yes, my favorite X.mas story is "The Lobo ParaMilitary Christmas Special" followed by  "Blackadders christmas carol".

If you havn't seen the Lobo one, do yourself a favor and watch it (he even looks a bit like me:).

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I have good memories about first Halloween and Wintersday events. Back then people were still very active and friendly towards each other. Although some activities were a little silly (congalines, mass synchronic dancing etc), it was the most fun I had in holiday events in MMO's.

In later years I rarely saw this again. Nowadays you barely see any local chat anymore, apart from the random trade msg. Everyone just stands inside those circles for the tickets and no one communicates anymore, its just became a title grind for most.

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

Keep on dreaming. In dreams everything looks much better

• FailtrainFailtrain Member Posts: 129

What if the game designers just went and made mini-games that fit their theme and gave players something to do, without it having to revolve around real world holidays?

Why is that a concept that is so difficult to grasp.

I think Holidays tend to lead to theme ruining instances/nuiances.  Such as the horses in LOTRO that have skeleton costumes on that came out for "halloween".

And yet again, I'll refer to Star Wars Galaxies... which was the worst in my opinion.... Christmas decorations all over Mos Eisley? Seriously?

I find holiday celebration in a simulated world that generally isn't Earth, to be goofy and a waste of time that could be spent elsewhere.

You are a sad, sad individual :[

I think they're just for fun. fun. 

"Games are made for people to have fun?" you may be asking, and yes would be the answer to that. Shocking.

• headphonesheadphones Member Posts: 611

i like holiday fun in mmos. except in the second year of playing when they repeat the same tired stuff from last year. give me a game which tries consitently to one-up itself. make every christmas different, with different in-game activities and collectibles never to be seen again. then we can sit down like wistful old timers going, "yeah, this christmas is good, but it weren't as good as christmas in ol' 2012! i tell ya, that was some good christmas."

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012

Honestly, I can't see how anyone could ignore one of the strongest parts of the Holiday Events in Guild Wars.

The community events. Creative groups coming together to run awesome themed events based around the game holidays, or even real-world things (such as the Pink Day in LA event in October). On top of the events ran by Arena.Net, I can't wait to see what will be done with GW2 by the community.

It's also nice to see how some of the events actually grow and expand, as if there is an overall story behind it. Halloween sees the Mad King trying to break free, and the quests have you aiding him in doing so, doing everything from cruel evil runs through a large area with no healing skills, to finding the right coffin, to beating the crap out of a major villain as nothing more than a bunch of candy-corn soldiers. So I'm hoping we'll see some more like that, especially now that there is a focus on player events over quests.

• RamzeppelinRamzeppelin Member Posts: 101

Why do games think we care about holidays in MMOs? WHYYYYYYYYY! 

But even if people do "care" They never have seemed pleased with what MMO companies do about them.

I always think " what could they have been working on instead of this horse fertilizer?"

or

"My elf has never heard of the pagan holiday Constatine transformed into christmas"

Though it is funny, they usually make up a holiday name and slap a thinly veiled lore onto it, just like the real christmas!

• kicemadafakakicemadafaka Member Posts: 1

Is this game too good for download??? xD

• headphonesheadphones Member Posts: 611

Originally posted by kicemadafaka

Is this game too good for download??? xD

i'm worried actually that my hard drive will melt with pleasure.

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

This game........it's like it doesn't even exist anymore.  Freaking what, 2 years now of nothing but previews/hype?

DONE, seriously, I just don't care, so sick of seeing worthless previews and hype...

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by zellmer

This game........it's like it doesn't even exist anymore.  Freaking what, 2 years now of nothing but previews/hype?

DONE, seriously, I just don't care, so sick of seeing worthless previews and hype...

Relax, they have promised the beta to start this year so the game is almost done now.

Of course, they might move that back but it is likely that they start it mid december.

This is still better than releasing the game prematurely (even if I agree that the future holiday events is pretty worthless even to a GW fan like me). I rather get the beta signup ASAP instead.