Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The FIRST MMORPG still Lives.

2»

Comments

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

Everyone seems to forget Darksun :)

I only played the Realm during alpha / beta as "Nameless" and ran the "Harpers" (original I know).  The game never truly got out of beta stages in my opinion. . I played recently and tried to do the first quest and was told it is pretty much the only quest and it is broken. . . like this sentence :)  

I seem to recall some 100s that jumped everyone and hating them ;)  Left The Realm for UO during UO beta and never looked back. . great community though.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by Scorchien

Since most early Multi-User Dungeon weren’t exactly ‘massive’, they can’t be called MMORPGs. So which game was truly the first MMORPG ever? The answer is Neverwinter Nights (1991), which was also the first graphical MMORPG ever. The first text based MMORPG was a game called Legends of Future Past (1992), which was a surprisingly in depth game (crafting, events, skill based progression) for a text based title. Neverwinter Nights, like Island of Kesmai was an expensive game to play. Since the internet was still in its early form, Neverwinter Nights as well as all MMORPGs during the time, had to be distributed through proprietary networks like AOL and Compuserve. Neverwinter Nights was distributed through AOL and cost gamers a cool $6.00 per hour to play (That’s nearly $10 an hour adjusted for inflation)! Neverwinter Nights was a very successful MMORPG during its run. The game ran from 1991 to 1997 and boasted 115,000 players towards the end of its life cycle. The actually shut down due to disagreements between AOL and one of the game’s original developers TSR over future rights to the title. It’s worth mentioning though in its last year of service, the game became ‘free to play’ as bandwidth costs came down significantly since its original release.

Aside from Never Winter Nights, there are numerous other MMORPGs that were released before both Meridian59 and Ultima Online. Numerous other graphical MMORPGs came out after Neverwinter Nights trying to capture some of the success it had. The Shadow of Yserbius ran from 1992 to 1996 and was one of the more popular ones. Games like Nexus: Kingdom of the Winds (1996) and The Realm Online (1996) were in public beta before Ultima and Meridian. It’s also worth mentioning that Richard Gariott, the man behind Ultima Online and the Ultima Franchise, was the first person to actually ‘coin’ the term “MMORPG”. Both Ultima Online and Meridian59 have survived the test of time, as they’re both still running. On a side note the first few free to play MMORPGs were Tibia, RuneScape and MapleStory. Tibia was actually released before in Ultima Online in 1997, yet Ultima and Meridian59 usually get the credit for being the first MMORPGs.

Wasn't Lucas Films Habitat was a graphical mud which predates Never Winter Nights by a couple of years.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• CillasiCillasi Member UncommonPosts: 335

LOL...I remember the Mechs too!  They were a pain in the butt! 

Originally posted by jerkbeast

I just remembered the name of the "guild" I hated in The Realm.....MECH....you bastards. :)

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by randmp

Originally posted by Deleted User

Sorry, it's not the first mmorpg as has been pointed out in your other thread.

Neverwinter Nights AOL ran from 1991 to 1997

Meridian 59 First launched online in an early form on December 15, 1995 and released commercially in September 1996 with a flat-rate monthly subscription

Furcadia December 16, 1996

The Realm Online December 31 1996

Ultima Online September 25, 1997

There ya go.

Realm Online is #4 on the totem pole. Might wanna change the thread totle so it's accurate.

The real first MUD as they where called before mmorpg's was Mazewar in 1974 .

Mazewar was not a mud.  I played mazewar.

The problem with this thread is that the term MMORPG post dates most of these "early mmorpgs/muds".  That's the problem. There are tons of games that were online but not lists in the thread.  TSN's TSOY and Habitat from the 80s.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• lordpenquinlordpenquin Member Posts: 129

I fondly remember The Realm.  I created a character and walked out the door of the house.  On the very first road I was on, I encountered another player.  I stopped and said "Hello."  His response was to kill me with one hit and steal all my starter items, leaving me with nothing.  I logged out of the game never to return.  Fun times!

• JalitanJalitan Member UncommonPosts: 104

Originally posted by lordpenquin

I fondly remember The Realm.  I created a character and walked out the door of the house.  On the very first road I was on, I encountered another player.  I stopped and said "Hello."  His response was to kill me with one hit and steal all my starter items, leaving me with nothing.  I logged out of the game never to return.  Fun times!

I usually waited until people had their Baldric. ;-)

• DaeygonDaeygon Member UncommonPosts: 9

I'm surprised this game is still going.

You might get 50-70 people on at the same time during peek times if your lucky.

but Lots of good memories with this game!.

• officeapeofficeape Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Originally posted by Aethaeryn

Everyone seems to forget Darksun :)

I only played the Realm during alpha / beta as "Nameless" and ran the "Harpers" (original I know).  The game never truly got out of beta stages in my opinion. . I played recently and tried to do the first quest and was told it is pretty much the only quest and it is broken. . . like this sentence :)  

I seem to recall some 100s that jumped everyone and hating them ;)  Left The Realm for UO during UO beta and never looked back. . great community though.

I remember the Harpers name! I mainly played '95 through '99. I didn't start out as one of those 100s that jumped people, but sort of evolved into one. Sorry? image