Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Holiday Events in GW2

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In his latest column devoted to Guild Wars 2, MMORPG.com's David North wonders if the new game will be able to measure up to the holiday goodness that came with the original Guild Wars. See what sorts of holiday fun David has dreamed up for Guild Wars 2. Do you have a few thoughts? Add them in our comments.

Let’s just take a moment to imagine one activity, where you create an awesome giant snow man. I think it would be great to see tons of players rolling around huge snowballs, and using different drops from enemies to decorate the snowman. Just imagine, a pair of monstrous eyes, some insect legs and some raggedy armor you plucked from your dead foes being used to decorate the snowman! To make it even better, let’s make a contest out of it. Each guild makes a snowman, and the players can vote! It sounds awfully simple, but I think it would be pretty fun.

Read more of David North's Guild Wars 2: Holiday Events in GW2.

Roller Beetle Racing is a real man’s sport.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

God I hate holidays in MMORPGs.

They take away from work that could be spent elsewhere, they're always hokey ripoffs off real world holidays attempting to fit into the theme of the game in a way that comes off as a cheap joke more than it does as a real attempt to make a holiday inside the game's theme.

Ooooh, its WOOKIEE LIFE DAY. NOT CHRISTMAS. lolololololololol.

They're a goofy distraction from a game's real meat.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

Oh yeah! Roller Bettle Racing was just awesome in gw1! CRASH TEAM RACING STYLE! :D

• TalthanysTalthanys Member Posts: 458

Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

They take away from work that could be spent elsewhere, they're always hokey ripoffs off real world holidays attempting to fit into the theme of the game in a way that comes off as a cheap joke more than it does as a real attempt to make a holiday inside the game's theme.

You will be visited by three spirits this evening, the Ghost of MMOs Past, the Ghost of MMOs Present, and the Ghost of MMOs Yet to Come. Learn these lessons, CujoSWAoA, and break the links of your hell-bound chains.

Will I be played by Patrick Stewart?

If not, then NO DEAL. BAH HUM-BURGERS.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Yeah, kinda. If you're gonna do it at least make up your own stuff, kinda like what WAR did.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795

Roller beatle races was one of the most unique mini game I've ever seen in mmo. Would love it to come back. But I always loved the wintersday mini game with collecting presents. Loved the map, atmosphere and mechanics of throwing snowballs =P

Holidays in mmos are perfect way to do something else, more cheerfull and fun other than killing all day. Its perfect to take community together to do something fun together..

People here who don't like this obviously don't understand xmas and stuff...thats sad.

What if the game designers just went and made mini-games that fit their theme and gave players something to do, without it having to revolve around real world holidays?

Why is that a concept that is so difficult to grasp.

I think Holidays tend to lead to theme ruining instances/nuiances.  Such as the horses in LOTRO that have skeleton costumes on that came out for "halloween".

And yet again, I'll refer to Star Wars Galaxies... which was the worst in my opinion.... Christmas decorations all over Mos Eisley? Seriously?

I find holiday celebration in a simulated world that generally isn't Earth, to be goofy and a waste of time that could be spent elsewhere.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

I like the events and mini-games.

• Mariner-80Mariner-80 Member Posts: 347

[snip]

I totally agree with you. I hated them in LotRO, WoW, GW1, etc. Fortunately, you can get away from the holiday stupidness for the most part just by avoiding the "social hubs" as much as possible. I like holiday stuff in real life, I really do, but it's just a nuisance in MMOs. If Blizz et al. offered "Holiday-Free" servers as an option, I'd definitely go for that.

Holidays often offer huge spikes in population, so I think people generally like this stuff.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Anet's teasing.....gasp....killing me....cough.....please launch game......whimper....before we all die from waiting......cough!

• mrxennonmrxennon Member Posts: 209

There are different type of players that play mmo's and 1 of those types which overwhelm others is those that like mini games.  I think a lot of people have forgotten what an MMO is about.  It isnt about just getting to level cap and grinding dungeons for gear, and doing that day in day out doesnt make you hard core gamer either, though I can think of plenty of things it does make you.

MMO market has become massive since it became a graphical multimedia experience,  to keep people interested, MMO's need side quests, missions and events that pulls you away from the kill and fetch syndrome.  These type of games are created to last several years or should be, just like WoW, FFXI, EQ, Eve etc etc.  If you really want to be hardcore then I suggest you go and play a text based or MUD game to satisfy your epeen.  At the end of the day games are made to spend our spare time and relax, and Developers also got to cater for younger and female participants that they didnt have a few years ago or even less.

Despite its faults, FFXI had the best variety of events and sidequests than any other game that i've played to date.  Building a snowman using the organs of mobs we kill is an excellent idea, better than traditional scarf, carrot and buttons. although slighty gourish.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Holidays can be done but not over done. They can be good to add some interest to the mix but they need to fit into the world they are in. They could mirror the timing of real world holidays but should try not to be obvious about it. They don't need to be quite as gloomy as the holidays in Warhammer but at least those holidays fit the world well. Wow just over does it.

All die, so die well.

• RhomsRhoms Member UncommonPosts: 174

I like holidays.  Sometimes, it's nice to get distracted from day to day questing/raids/pvp and get into the holiday spirit with some fun festivities.  As long as it's done tastefully, I really like it.

Current game: Pillars of Eternity

Played: UO, AC, Eve, Fallen Earth, Aion, GW, GW2 

Tried: WOW, Rift, SWTOR, ESO 

Future: Camelot Unchained?  Crowfall?  Bless?

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912

Snowball fights! ... but to be honest I never participated in the holiday mini games in any game especially guild wars. Some love it, some dont' care for it.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Rollerbeatle races?

They where a lot of fun, tough i'd love to see events that are tight more to my character...  One thing is for sure racing mini games are just awesome, and they could tigh the tracks  to the seasons

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

I love holiday events.  They don't come around often enough to get to used to them and they do give you a bit of a break from the everyday game.  And for people who like to complain that communities in MMOs aren't what they are used to be, these types of events can do a better job of bringing together and inspiring communities than any other activity in a game.  Even for me, the consumate soloist, events make it easy and enjoyable to mix with my fellow players for a while.

• davestr1zldavestr1zl Member Posts: 218

Agreed I cant stand them too, thats why I'm thankful that they confirmed no holiday events in SWTOR :D

• I have to agree completely with this article. The only reason I even get on Guild Wars anymore is once a year....on Halloween! :D I absolutely love the holiday events in Guild Wars and would not like the game nearly as much if they decided not to have them. It brings back great memories and I have had tons of fun playing them. In addition, roller beetle racing was also my favorite mini game in GW to date. The first time it launched...I nearly made it to the top 100 spot :( Sadly, i did not...and so no cool mini pet for me :(  I believe it adds something to the game....something unique and special. It's something that really brings the game to life for me...not voice annimated NPC's, not a lush environment...but events like this made me feel like I was immersed in a world with something happening just as in real life....please bring this stuff back in guild wars 2....please :'(

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Holiday events are an MMOs way (at least the ones that care) of telling you to step away from the grind for a bit and just go have some fun. Do something a little silly. Enjoy the decorations... who cares if they really belong or not? If you're into the RP thing, make them belong! If not, why complain over it? In Guild Wars, when Wintersday settles in over the lands and Ascalon and Lion's Arch are snow covered, flakes in the air, children throwing snowballs... you know, it's nice to simply forget that you have to run a certain raid at a certain time, or that you need to run dailies yet again (yeah, not GW things, just points)... sometimes it's just a refreshing change to familiar scenery you can relax in. Get with some friends and go throw snowballs at each other just because you can!, Chase a present, /dance for the Mad King Thorn, help Dwayna hold back the chilling influence of Grenth for yet another season... just play. Have fun with it for a few weeks. Soon, it'll be over, your guild leader will be bitching because you haven't put in your twenty hours of scheduled raiding this week so you're going to lose your spot, you suck as a tank heal me damned priest...

Let the holidays come. Sometimes we need an excuse to simply play the game again.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,742

"You will be visited by three spirits this evening, the Ghost of MMOs Past, the Ghost of MMOs Present, and the Ghost of MMOs Yet to Come. Learn these lessons, CujoSWAoA, and break the links of your hell-bound chains."

I think this is a haunting every player and member of a MMO's staff could do with this xmas.

• HavranHavran Member Posts: 3

I dont think thats event for 4th. of July. Is this date special anyhow ?

• FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515

LOL, some of you are such grinches it's unreal.  As cliché as it sounds, IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, DON'T PARTICIPATE IN IT.  Seriously, you don't HAVE to get involved, just go do other sh*t ingame.

• ChrisReitzChrisReitz Member Posts: 115

I like holiday events usually more money and extras anyways...