Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DC Universe Online: 120k New Users & Server Issues

Comments

• SlybaconSlybacon Member Posts: 48

I got to play this abit last night,  So far it seems interesting although i only got about 2 hours game time in not counting the 20minutes i spent on character creation screen.  If the servers prove to be stable over time it maybe worth sticking with

slybacongaming.blogspot.com

• RedcorRedcor Member Posts: 426

In a few weeks when everyone hits max lvl and finds nothing to do or gets fed up with the UI and chat It will be easy to log on. When this game came out we had trouble loggin in to one of the many servers. After a month it was down to 1 pvp and 1 pve server. No improvements have been made. So the same will repeat. I'll admit its fun to create a toon and mess with builds but it wears off soon.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can
    be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
    -Robert E. Howard

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Originally posted by Reizla

Already said on DCUo forums that there's a 600% increase in players...

...and it can be noticed. Both US and EU PC servers crash within 15 minutes after they're up again. Looks like SOE didn't expect THIS many players to be interested in a F2P DCUO ;)

Meaning, even THEY thought their game was trash...

Lol, server is getting a restart and ROLLBACK... wonderful... NOT

People are just desperate. As the Chinese saying goes, in a drought, fish take even muddy water.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896

Originally posted by sylum69

Originally posted by s4ndm4n2006

Originally posted by jeremyjodes

I heard character creation is amazing.

It is fun.   Although it is a good character creation tool, it's not quite as good as that in Champions Online, although that's not to say that CO overall is necessarily better.  :)  I can't wait til the server issues are resolved, my son wants to try it with me. Woot!

^ This. A million times this! A lot of people really overexaggerate the short-comings of DC's charater creator. Yes it's lacking in a lot of areas, but it has a lot of stuff you can't find in CoX or CO. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the cosmic skin is awesome! It's better than anything CO has to offer.

I couldn't disagree more. I wanted to make a pirate; no bandanas, no striped shirts, no pirate hats. Cowboy? No hats, holsters, or  vests. Indian? No anything. I could make all 3 of these, and so much more, beautifully in CO. My Indian in CO got multiple compliments in fact. DCUO is the least impressive character generator among the 3 superhero games.

• sylum69sylum69 Member UncommonPosts: 100

Originally posted by Senadina

Originally posted by sylum69

Originally posted by s4ndm4n2006

Originally posted by jeremyjodes

I heard character creation is amazing.

It is fun.   Although it is a good character creation tool, it's not quite as good as that in Champions Online, although that's not to say that CO overall is necessarily better.  :)  I can't wait til the server issues are resolved, my son wants to try it with me. Woot!

^ This. A million times this! A lot of people really overexaggerate the short-comings of DC's charater creator. Yes it's lacking in a lot of areas, but it has a lot of stuff you can't find in CoX or CO. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the cosmic skin is awesome! It's better than anything CO has to offer.

I couldn't disagree more. I wanted to make a pirate; no bandanas, no striped shirts, no pirate hats. Cowboy? No hats, holsters, or  vests. Indian? No anything. I could make all 3 of these, and so much more, beautifully in CO. My Indian in CO got multiple compliments in fact. DCUO is the least impressive character generator among the 3 superhero games.

Soooooooo basically you just re-affirmed what I said, it is lacking in a lot of areas.

The choices given really don't matter do they, it's what you do with them that count. I can't even come close to making a Mountie (a character I love) in DCUO - you know what I did? I moved on and made other types of characters. In fact, I made a simple caped Super Hero that I fell in love with, and when I tried to make him in CO, I was surprised to find that they didn't have something as simple as a cape with a rounded bottom. The style of goggles were off, my gloves weren't the same - in short, for all of their choices, I couldn't create a simple Super Hero I wanted in CO.

But going back to my Mountie in CO, I should point out that my Mountie in CoX is FAR better looking than in CO, that's not to say I don't like him, it's just not as good looking.  The point is, all three games have limitations on their character creator. If you want to criticize DCUO, I can point out a whole bunch flaws in CO's character creator.

DCUO's is just not as bad as people have made it out to be.

And once again, the cosmic skin is awesome.

• DaddyDarkDaddyDark Member Posts: 138

Originally posted by Redcor

In a few weeks when everyone hits max lvl and finds nothing to do or gets fed up with the UI and chat It will be easy to log on. When this game came out we had trouble loggin in to one of the many servers. After a month it was down to 1 pvp and 1 pve server. No improvements have been made. So the same will repeat. I'll admit its fun to create a toon and mess with builds but it wears off soon.

True. But it is still worth playing through the main quest lines as long as you like the DC Universe and old style beat em up fightings - which basically means the game is a good single player experience... )))

Originally posted by Worstluck

To the guy in the previous post about Steam and DCUO....sometimes Steam sucks for MMO's.  I love Steam, but sometimes with the constant patching an MMO does, it really messes up Steam.  If you have it installed and it's in the steamapps folder, try right-clicking on the game in your library, then clicking on properties in the context menu.  Then find the 'local files' tab, then 'verifity integrity of game cache'.  This should work and stop Steam from wanting to download it.

Thanks for the tip. The problem was - Steam have already overwrited some of the the initial files by the time I've got it the download restarted. The download have just finished, but oooppps! - Server is down again. Lol -) It is funny how Sony don't want to learn on it's mistakes - they had the same problem during initial DCUO launch, they had their PSN servers butchered by the hackers several times... And each time the server  problem arises - they spend days where it would take hours for the experienced maintenance team like in WoW or something. I would say it is time to finnaly hire competent IT director and a better support team for their online servers ect.  But no - Sony prefers to fail each time they have some server issues. :-) They don't really care how it shifts their image towards "old fashioned" gaming company not keeping up with the IT trends, which can't be good in the long run.

• Dante1443Dante1443 Member Posts: 23

I think they were caught completely off guard at the amount of new players that were coming in.  I managed to get in and create a few characters and I do like the game but I'm going to have to go to the wiki page to figure some of it out.  Why create a tutorial if you're not going to mention some of the more complicated parts?  We don't need to be told how to use the movement and attack keys that are almost the same for EVERY single MMO out there.  Tutorials need to focus on the more unique aspects of the games they're for.

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

compared to CoH and even Champions, DCUO's character creation is bland. You can dress up as a hero sure, but with CoH you can be any kind of hero. You arent forced to wear tights of spandex.

And at least with both other games you can change your face and body. But DCUO...bleh.

And I thought people were crazy when they complained about the mouse clicking they had to do. I was so wrong. 25-50 clicks per mob is crazy. But what ever, its not the worse game. But I would never invest ant money into it

• rsrestonrsreston Member UncommonPosts: 346

My first three hours were amazing! Already bought my five first bucks!

• CheriseCherise Member Posts: 232

Originally posted by Dante1443

I think they were caught completely off guard at the amount of new players that were coming in.  I managed to get in and create a few characters and I do like the game but I'm going to have to go to the wiki page to figure some of it out.  Why create a tutorial if you're not going to mention some of the more complicated parts?  We don't need to be told how to use the movement and attack keys that are almost the same for EVERY single MMO out there.  Tutorials need to focus on the more unique aspects of the games they're for.

This is what I've been thinking so far as well.  I"m having fun but the tutorial told me very little.  I've been having to search the forums for what should be basic commands and abilities.  The chat system and options for a new game are very disappointing and outdated.  I haven't been able to figure out how to reply to a tell, and not even sure it's an option.

The architecture is very pretty though.  While in CoH I found the slummy city to be depressing, Gotham is interesting to look at, especially flying over it!

• MatriarcheXMatriarcheX Member Posts: 159

Its super fun. Now its the time to try it out and decide yourself . There is a learning curve no doubt about that since the interface is much different and meant to be played with an xbox controller with the PC -- you can still use a keyboard to chat etc, but to really feel the action you have the option to use  a controller :)

• CavodCavod Member Posts: 295

Originally posted by therain93

DCUO could be a good game, but it suffers from lack of content and really bad decision-making.

^This, right here, is how I feel too.

We really need separate forums for every newly launched game. There can be the anti-<MMO> one and there can be the 'what general discussion should be' one. All the lamenting can happen together where each can find solace in like minded can't-move-on-ers leaving the rest of us to actually move forward and discuss meaningful and relevant topics.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Amazzing number of new CHEAP players. If only such people that want all for free would exist no game would be I guess ever created, for sure not mmo. But as usually there is always price to pay, sooner or later. As DCUO is PURE CONSOLE BUTTON MASHER guess will never return back ... but never say naver in gaming. :-)

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Originally posted by Cavod

DCUO could be a good game, but it suffers from lack of content and really bad decision-making.

Bad decision making yes, lack of content?

You could say that at launch, but you can't say that anymore.

• therain93therain93 Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Originally posted by popinjay

Yes, I can actually.

Originally posted by popinjay

Yes, I can actually.

True, but you'd be wrong though.

The game has quite a bit of content now. When was the last time you played it? Doh, never mind.. just read your sig.

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679

This game, and others, needs to completely divorce the controls of pc away from ps3/xbox. You can tell as soon as you start to play that the developers have had to sacrifice the pc users interface to allow for the limited commands on a game controller.

This lessens the game, making it feel like a street fighter experience.

Every aspect of the game, from character creation, movement, combat, has been affected by this forced observance to the game controller limitations.

It is short term fun, in the same way that street fighter or mortal kombat are. But if the aim of this is to be a long term mmo, then more things will have to change on top of the free to play move by the developers.

Originally posted by JudgeUK

I wouldn't compare it to the Street fighter - the controlls and overall game experience is much like you would have playing the SW Force Unleashed: lots of movement and button combos to be used for fighting.  It is not button mashing though - especially in PvP: every move has it's weaknesses, so you should carefully use them. The idea of having just 6 abilities equiped on your action bar looks ridiculous only at first - when you would get used to it, you would understand there are lots of moves you could use by button combos and that  6 special abilities are enough. Other MMOs have tons of completely unnecessary abilities used form the action bar (like 6 different heals, while you would anyway use only 2 in most cases, depending on you talent build: 1 HOT and 1 instant heal). In DC there are fewer choices to make, but they affect your play style a lot and are more meaningful - like you don't get abilities you haven't invested points into. For example in WoW you would get lots of abilities, but would use only those you have boosted up by your talents build  - in DC those 2 systems are united into the one. I believe that WoW is getting the talent system reworked in a similar way with the new panda thing comming.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Originally posted by DaddyDark

Originally posted by JudgeUK

I wouldn't compare it to the Street fighter - the controlls and overall game experience is much like you would have playing the SW Force Unleashed: lots of movement and button combos to be used for fighting.  It is not button mashing though - especially in PvP: every move has it's weaknesses, so you should carefully use them. The idea of having just 6 abilities equiped on your action bar looks ridiculous only at first - when you would get used to it, you would understand there are lots of moves you could use by button combos and that  6 special abilities are enough. Other MMOs have tons of completely unnecessary abilities used form the action bar (like 6 different heals, while you would anyway use only 2 in most cases, depending on you talent build: 1 HOT and 1 instant heal). In DC there are fewer choices to make, but they affect your play style a lot and are more meaningful - like you don't get abilities you haven't invested points into. For example in WoW you would get lots of abilities, but would use only those you have boosted up by your talents build  - in DC those 2 systems are united into the one. I believe that WoW is getting the talent system reworked in a similar way with the new panda thing comming.

WoW is a MMORPG though.  DCUO is a MMOAG.  In a MMORPG, you do not have combos that you do not have on your action bar - you have the actual ability.

MMOAG:  Say you have 3 items (2 mouse buttons and an item on the action bar) - you have dozens or more options from how you combine those, whether they are taps or holds, etc.

MMORPG: Each of those options is an ability on the action bar.  You're directing the character's action, rather than taking the character's action.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Soon as I saw  the 14gb download i canceled it.  Way too much of a download.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

well here we are..a week since it went f2p or nearly..and i,m 5,561 in the queue on eupve server,now i dont mind being in a q but i,m curious..is there any news on if they are putting additional servers up because this is kinda stupid.all these peeps and all that possible money goin down the drain because peeps are gettin sick of waiting..anyone got any links or infor regarding this plz?

• mmodannommodanno Member Posts: 163

Guys... think about it...

This is a game that was so shallow and buggy that in less then a year it from a major AAA MMO release with a very popular franchise tie-in to... well.. the nearly deserted game it is now.

Do you think all the new FtPer's are going to be here in a month?  ..or even a couple weeks?  SoE knows they have a dog of a game.  This FtP is a desperate shot to grab what money they can while the getting is good.  In a month or less, population will drop back down to near death levels.

Why would SoE spend money upgrading their servers to handle the volume now when in a few short weeks the game will drive most of the population all by itself, fixing the log in problems.  ...and SoE won't have had to spend a dime.

Originally posted by mmodanno
    Guys... think about it...Okay.This is a game that was so shallow and buggy that in less then a year it from a major AAA MMO release with a very popular franchise tie-in to... well.. the nearly deserted game it is now. Actually, it's not nearly deserted now. That's what all the hubbub is about. People want to get in and play, but due to the ..wait for it.. DEMAND.. they can't.Do you think all the new FtPer's are going to be here in a month? Yep. It's free. People are cheapskates and like free stuff.  ..or even a couple weeks? Depending on how fast/slow they fix stuff, yep. SoE knows they have a dog of a game.  This FtP is a desperate shot to grab what money they can while the getting is good.  In a month or less, population will drop back down to near death levels.Based on what other FTP conversions have done, you're statistically wrong.Why would SoE spend money upgrading their servers to handle the volume now when in a few short weeks the game will drive most of the population all by itself, fixing the log in problems.  ...and SoE won't have had to spend a dime.Because they are doing well financially as a company, and FTP games tend to double (at the least) your revenue after a conversion?

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

Seriously mmorpg.com  could you just please focus on real news instead of FPS, PR type news again? I don't know when all this number posing started but I hate it. Also JS is talking about registrations like all p2w game do, so I don't think these are "news" more like PR don't you agree?

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."