Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pando Media Booster Virus

EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648

Hey guys. I have a very persistant program installed on my computer called pando media booster. The program installs itself and even after being uninstalled it will reinstall itself. I think this happens on reboot but I'm not 100 percent on that in the moment. I've been going through forums trying to troubleshoot this thing to no avail. I have tried AVG, avast and malware bytes and while nothing seems to get rid of this thing. I've never had such a persistant bugger on my computer. So I thought, if anyone can help, its the guys at mmorpg.com. So, troubleshooting starts now lol.(virus used a ton of my processor and slows down my browsers significantly.)

Comments

• czekoskwigelczekoskwigel Member Posts: 458

It's not a virus.  It's part of the delivery program for an online game that you have installed.  Every time you run this game, it's likely reinstalling it.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Several companies use it:  http://www.pandonetworks.com/media-booster

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648

I guess I should have said malware. Now I realize different companies use this (mostly f2p) but the fact that it eats up my bandwidth is why I say this. Even with MSCONFIG I can't disable the bugger upon start up. And when I uninstall the thing it reinstalls itself. Even if I don't run a game it seems. See my dilemma?

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

p2p programm used by many games. It is resource hog.

Better to avoid it. If it reinstall each time you run your mmo, thne onloy option would be not to play this mmo.

Originally posted by fenistil

p2p programm used by many games. It is resource hog.

Better to avoid it. If it reinstall each time you run your mmo, thne onloy option would be not to play this mmo.

Seems to reinstall at startup even if I don't run a game. The only thing I could see is maybe steam uses it since I have that starting up upon boot up.

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

You probably use a program that "need" it and reinstall it. I uninstalled it when League of legend put it on my computer and its gone for good, though i didn't connect a lot on Lol these days. Its not a virus but it work on the background and use you bandwidth for some fishy reason to me too. For me its the same kind of software as gameguard that probably collect some kind of info and send them without you knowing. But its tagged as helping streaming for videos and downloads and such. Check their web site.

• GrahorGrahor Member Posts: 828

Not a virus indeed, but it's truly a bugger to get rid of. You'll have to uninstall whatever mmorpg or other online game you've installed which uses that Panda MediaBugger.

Originally posted by Requiamer

You probably use a program that "need" it and reinstall it. I uninstalled it when League of legend put it on my computer and its gone for good, though i didn't connect a lot on Lol these days. Its not a virus but it work on the background and use you bandwidth for some fishy reason to me too. For me its the same kind of software as gameguard that probably collect some kind of info and send them without you knowing. But its tagged as helping streaming for videos and downloads and such. Check their web site.

It honestly doesn't take long to uninstall at all. Just a tad bit annoying. I'm wondering what program it could be. Only thing I could see is steam. As all the mmos I usually play have proved to be stale at the moment lol. HURRY GW2 ;)

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

You can use local policy to prevent it from running or being installed.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

I've never had it auto reinstall itself after uninstalling, or had any problems blocking it from running/installing. But I havn't really encountered it for awhile now, so maybe they've changed it..

It is normally installed when you use a games offical downloader option to get a game, so if you can use a direct link (most game's sites have that option, usually not as noticeble) or a mirror site, you can avoid the thing altogether.

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

I've never had a problem just uninstalling Pando media booster, but something could be reinstalling it. You should use hijackthis to analyze your start up programs.. If you can't figure out what's running that keeps reinstalling Pando post a log file here.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

PMB is a peer to peer file sharing system. If you don't shut it down it will continue to take ALL of you upload capability sending files out to others even after you have finished installing the game. It will run 24 hours a day if you don't. It will start up when you restart your computer and continue to do this until you uninstall it.

It is used mostly by free to play mmos but others like LOTRO also use it.

PMB.exe is it's process shut that down.

Akamai Net Session will do the same. It hides behind a svchost.exe instance. Get MS's free Process Explorer find the instance of svchost.exe with Akamai in it and shut that svchost instance down.

Neither of them are spyware or malware. But they do use your resources to keep someone else's costs down. Shut them down. Remove them. Complain to the game publisher and developer anytime they use it.  Better yet never let it be used on your system.

I've written about Pando and Akamai a dozen times. I'm tired of writing the same thing about them each time. Do a google search for getting rid of PMB.exe and/or Akamai Net Session.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Get easycleaner, uninstall the game with the advanced uninstall option and delete it in the startup with the program.

It is free:http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm

There are other commercial products doing the same thing or you can do everything manually, but this is free and easy.