Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Battlefield 3 - Loading, Please Wait...

Comments

• QuagliaQuaglia Member Posts: 60

Ahhahah great read. Thanks a lot for making me smile.

• Mr.CoyoteMr.Coyote Member Posts: 28

Originally posted by WhySoShort

Coyote, it's all part of a worldwide plot to enslave us to interconnected online services...

A plot by the lizard people. 

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

It's EA why are people surprised? They got your money and now screw you.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

TOR is going to be an epic disaster.

• SquiggieSquiggie Member Posts: 104

Originally posted by DarkPony

Originally posted by jayanti

And you didnt even mention how Origin is tracking all your software, hardware and websites, and selling that information to marketting companies so they can bombard you with even more links and sites to sign up with. Nor did you mention how the Origin T&C's mentions how by clicking Agree you also agree to waive your legal rights and promise never to sue EA.

Nor did you mention how this is the exact same system SW:TOR is using if you go the digital dl route.

True, but added a bit for clarification. Also you won't need all that secondary site stuff to start up the game. As far as I know in Swtor you only have to cope with Origin. That's it. And when you got the digital version only.

I truly hope so, or I'll be marching my CE box right back to the store and demanding a refund.  Gods, I hate EA...  I really don't need another 1500 spam messages a month from EA and their "marketing partners" (if you really think un-checking the box will stop you from getting spam, I have some prime real estate in the Everglades you might like...)

This is about the only thing that will keep me from playing SW:TOR

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

Yeah, I pretty much HATE any game that requires a 3rd party launcher/game service in order to play. That includes STEAM as well. Especialy if said launcher is TSR (Terminate and Stay Resident) in nature. That goes triple for games that aren't entirely designed for online or multiplayer play.

No thanks, I don't want your crappy spyware/addware excuse for a program gunking up my computer....especialy when I'm not even playing one of your crappy over-hyped games at the time.

Guess, what....I skipped purchasing Battlefield 3 simply because it requires a 3rd party online service to play.....and I'm glad I did.  I've skipped for a long time and will skip every game that requires STEAM in order to play too.

You want to support STEAM or Origin or MonkeyButt 5.0 with your games....no problem. For those that actualy like and find value in those services....great that they should have the OPTION to use them. That's what companies should be aiming for...giving consumers more OPTIONS.  But if you want to FORCE me to use them when I don't want to.... no thanks. You've just eliminated yourself from the competition for my entertainment dollar.

'll stick with companies that are interested in giving me options I'm comfortable....not put me in a headlock in order to use thier products. Thanks!

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

Battlefield 3 is fine. Check. Battlelog is ok. Check. ORIGIN is a steaming pile of donkey dung. Double Check!!!!

Let's party like it is 1863!

• Ludichris1Ludichris1 Member Posts: 41

How could you be so in the dark about Steam, EA, Origin, and Battlelog. SERIOUSLY o_o??

• oxydeoxyde Member UncommonPosts: 35

Excellent write up!  I got a good laugh out of it also.  I also had many of the same thoughts while installing and trying to play when i recieved my copy.  I hate that this Origin thing is always running and has to be turned off all the time.  Great game once I got past all that crap though.

• TaeamatTaeamat Member Posts: 8

Originally posted by Mundus

Gravatar is mighty handy. Yeah, you had to sign up and stuff, but only once. And now you can simply provide your gravatar account name (email) and have your avatar in arbitrary other sites that support it, without any extra work or having to upload your avatar to each site separately.

Granted, for me it was no problem with BF3 since I've already been using gravatar. Also I wasn't quite as anxious to play the game as Coyote. ;) I've only installed the game yesterday.

Still, good article.

I've never heard of Gravatar before this game. Where else have you seen it?

Man Coyote, you're spot on with this thing. You have to sign up to sign up for the sign up! And you would think with their previous experience, Punkbuster would have been ready to go and ACTUALLY INCLUDE the game it's supposed to be supporting!

• the420kidthe420kid Member UncommonPosts: 440

this article was an extrem exaduration, I have been playing bf3 since beta / release and origin / battlelog are nowhere near as bad as you are making them out to be.  Origin works fine and loads fast, the battle logs fine as well is very easy to see all your unlocks and everything you want to see including server browsing quite nicely..

I dont really understand where all the complaints come in maybe you need to get a better PC or maybe just man up put down the purse deal with origin get in game and get owned :P

• Mr.CoyoteMr.Coyote Member Posts: 28

Originally posted by the420kid

this article was an extrem exaduration

• bakagamibakagami Member UncommonPosts: 152

Originally posted by Mr.Coyote

Originally posted by WhySoShort

Coyote, it's all part of a worldwide plot to enslave us to interconnected online services...

A plot by the lizard people. 

Damn, and here I thought I killed all those,  Hey, Ma!  Bring me my lizard rifle!

• bakagamibakagami Member UncommonPosts: 152

I just had to install Origin to get my Steam copy of Dead Space 2 to work properly.  It made me feel dirty.  

• DarthMajinDarthMajin Member Posts: 92

Wow am I glad I got the console version over the PC. I don't like the sound of all that registering just to play a game. But the biggest part of why I am so glad that I didn't get the PC version, the anti-cheat is PunkBuster. After seeing those guys in action on other games, I can't stand that company anymore.

• DestryrDestryr Member Posts: 43

Truly an amazing read. It is so true and makes me sad that EA being the gaming giant it is make so many damn good games that i refuse not to play, it bugs the hell out of my that they can produce some many games and also give us an online scavenger hunt to our own impening suicide. That we were dumb enough to go through for FREE SHIT! AGAIN!

• NURTANURTA Member Posts: 21

Originally posted by Mr.Coyote

Originally posted by the420kid

this article was an extrem exaduration

Holy shit you mean this isn't REAL journalism?!?!

• Darkness690Darkness690 Member Posts: 174

I don't get all the hate for Battlelog, it works fine and I actually like it. Origin is pretty pointless besides for updating the game, but it's not difficult to start it and forget about it. Wouldn't call that jumping through hoops.

• Nhoj1983Nhoj1983 Member UncommonPosts: 185

I have no beef with Origin a lot of the things that people complain about steam does and gets away with it beautifully so I won't shoot a dead horse there.  Battlelog is a great idea but it really does take longer than I like to get into game..  This is my process.. click on the battlefield 3 shortcut-->auto load of origin and battlelog(on chrome which by the way is also technically spyware.. they do gather info on where you go and such as does google itself.. again pointing out how pointless this fury about this benine spyware is.) Loads smooth as silk and generally within seconds..

I like that I have a choice as opposed to MW2 faster than that game was but slower than bfbc2 but what I really can't stand is that sometimes you have to try more than once... the game's worth the trouble but I don't understand why they make us jump through those hoops.. it's just not needed but again I've seen worse.(points again to mw2)

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by Jorendo

Coyote be glad you aren't from Europe. The first day of the release you couldn't even play cause Origin was bugged. Telling everyone that the game wasn't activated (even though you did it cause otherwise you couldn't even install the game to begin with). When you pressed the activate button it would show you a loading bar...half an hour later that same bar was there telling you to have one moment please as it was loading (no bs, it really took 30 minutes). Just then it would rudely tell you "You are not connected to the internet please try again" aaaaaargh. "Hey smartass im on msn at the same freaking time and browsing your forum to see what kind of joke you pull on me, what do you mean im not connected ot the internet".

And because it said this it would refuse to start battlelog so you couldn't even play the singleplayer if you wanted too. Thousands of people complaining on the forum but EA didn't say a damn thing. There was no sticky topic either. Then some american EA fanboys (i suspect it where people who work for EA >.>) shout that the european gamers are lazy and shout seargh the forum better cause it was mentioned (yeah like we gonna seargh hundred of pages to see if our problem is there because the Americans had the problem monday in some sort of way, its EA's responsebility to make something as important known to the users).

Funny enough when i looked for a solution earlyer i saw pirats who had cracks to play BF3 singleplayer atleast, sure they can't play online but still they could play more of the game then the legal buyer on day one >.

Yeah EA really dropped the ball here. I really hope they not gonna do this crap with SW ToR, it is a idiotic way to launch a game (press the .exe icon, loads origin, goes to a webpage where you have to press start game and it loads the .exe that suppose to start the game >.<). I doubt anyone of EA read this or even care. But this is not how you treat gamers. I mean seriousely who made this whole idea up? Can't have been a gamer, must have been one of those former goverment employees who are used to send you to another desk before you get helped >.<

Still plenty of games out there that dont have these DRM restrictions, i say screw origin-steam-ubisoft and many of those who only aloud you to play under such restrictive conditions don't buy its alot power you have there to hurt them and let them know i want freedom with my puduct if i pay 50bucks.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• dreldrel Member Posts: 918

I hadn't decided whether to buy the PC version or the Playstation version of the game.

After reading all the steps you have to do to play the PC version, I think the Playstation version is the one to purchase.

• EvileEvile Member Posts: 534

I got the digital preorder.

Did all the account stuff before release. Downloaded and installed.

Jumped right in day 1. BF3 rocks!

Sure it's a few min of time getting started, but it's only initial sign up. I can still appreciate the article, and found it funny the way it was written.

P.S.

PC version > Console version

• MundusMundus Member UncommonPosts: 237

Originally posted by Taeamat

Originally posted by Mundus

Gravatar is mighty handy. Yeah, you had to sign up and stuff, but only once. And now you can simply provide your gravatar account name (email) and have your avatar in arbitrary other sites that support it, without any extra work or having to upload your avatar to each site separately.

Granted, for me it was no problem with BF3 since I've already been using gravatar. Also I wasn't quite as anxious to play the game as Coyote. ;) I've only installed the game yesterday.

Still, good article.

I've never heard of Gravatar before this game. Where else have you seen it?

Well, to be honest mostly on developer sites (github.com, bitbucket.org and the like).
    But I think it's good that 'normal' sites start to pick this up, too.

• almagillalmagill Member Posts: 279

Well, my ratty old PC would have no chance or running BF3 so I went the XBox route.

Sounds like, for once, I made the right decision.

So, you all sat in camps and that was fun?

• TyrokiTyroki Member UncommonPosts: 183

They say that these crappy DRM's exist to combat pirates, but that isn't true.

The real reason why they use DRM's is to frustrate PC gamers so much that they give up and hit the consoles, where the games can be sold for much, much more.

That is also the reason why pirates exist (Well, okay, one of them. Not originally, but definitely now), to combat the horrible DRM's that PAYING CUSTOMERS have to go through. You know what? It is by far easier, even AFTER paying for a game (most of the time), to just go ahead and look for a crack that removes this crap. If BF3 wasn't mostly about multiplayer as it is, I'm pretty darn sure most would simply crack away. I mean, people are already using a BYPASS designed by PIRATES to avoid that horrible wannabe Origin. Coyote was right on the money with his description of that foul beast. Theres just something horribly wrong about her.

Don't get me wrong. I buy games. But I see why the crackers just keep on cracking these games. Some of these DRM's are just outright rediculous.

Also, EA, GET A CLUE! No one wants your Origin crap. Valve won. They got their big game hosting program out long before you. Deal with it D8

MMO's played: Ragnarok Online (For years), WoW (for a few weeks only), Guild Wars, Lineage 2, Eve, Allods, Shattered Galaxy, 9 Dragons, City of Heroes, City of Villains, Star Trek Online (Got someone ELSE to pay for it), Champions Online (Someone else paid), Dofus, Dragonica, LOTRO, DDO and more... A LOT more. I've played good AND bad. The bad didn't last long. :P