Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DC Universe Online: 120k New Users & Server Issues

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

According to a Tweet by Sony Online Entertainment's Jon Smedley, over 120,000 new users have registered for DC Universe Online. DCUO officially went free to play earlier this week.

This amazing number of new users has put US game servers under a tremendous burden and they were brought down late last night to address some recurrent issues.

As of 9 hours ago, this was the latest from the DCUO team:

Update from DCUO Exec. Producer: "We will be reopening the server soon. Although we do not have a fix yet for this problem we have added additional code to try and catch and diagnose the problem. I apologize in advance if we crash again, but know that the information we get will help to make sure we solve this problem as quickly as possible."

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

I downloaded it (14gigs) stuck on the interface. glad i waited was going to buy this. If i ever get past that interface with nothing and the sony logo just sitting there, can't wait to give it a whirl. I heard character creation is amazing.

• Kaelano1Kaelano1 Member Posts: 375

Originally posted by jeremyjodes

I downloaded it (14gigs) stuck on the interface. glad i waited was going to buy this. If i ever get past that interface with nothing and the sony logo just sitting there, can't wait to give it a whirl. I heard character creation is amazing.

If you liked Mortal Combat and Street Fighter, you'll love DCUO. I liked it, played the crap out of it, everyone else hated it and ditched, I got lonely and left. Maybe I'll come back, maybe I won't. Dunno yet. Might bury my nose in Skyrim.

• therain93therain93 Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Poor SOE can't seem to get it right. It would be amusing to see them revert to the previous server architecture.

DCUO could be a good game, but it suffers from lack of content and really bad decision-making.  At least going free means people won't necessarily lose much (other than perhaps a bit of time and maybe the cost of bandwidth) to determine if the game is worthwhile enough to play. 

• DaddyDarkDaddyDark Member Posts: 138

Yeah - I was among the first users to buy the game during paid launch. They had a lot of server problems back then... -( seems like Sony haven't learned the lesson -(((

• s4ndm4n2006s4ndm4n2006 Member UncommonPosts: 56

I heard character creation is amazing.

It is fun.   Although it is a good character creation tool, it's not quite as good as that in Champions Online, although that's not to say that CO overall is necessarily better.  :)  I can't wait til the server issues are resolved, my son wants to try it with me. Woot!

• charlespaynecharlespayne Member UncommonPosts: 381

If you bought the game and paid for subscriptions in past you auto put on premium not free.

• TalthanysTalthanys Member Posts: 458

I was on earlier this morning finishing up a questline that had me and Catwoman pitted against the Huntress (two of my favorite DC characters). Still getting used to things like rolling out of the way and such, and knowing where to look when a message relevant to the battle appears (took me getting jumped by the Huntress twice before I saw the 'Huntress has vanished! Stay near Catwoman.' alert).

It's fun. It isn't deep. It isn't broad. But it is fun.

I still think CoH rules the roost as far as the MMO Superhero genre, and the latest news from Marvel Universe Online does nothing to sway that opinion, but so far I like DCUO for what it is.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

You would think a company with as much MMO experience as SOE would be able to handle a F2P launch.  Did DCUO do so badly and get cut down so terribly that having 120k people would kill their server farm? 

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• StruggsStruggs Member Posts: 205

I couldn't log in at all last night. Downloaded the game went all the way through character creation and couldn't get past the load screen.

imageimage

• jakinjakin Member UncommonPosts: 243

Couldn't get in on the US servers, but tried the EU version and there wasn't any noticable ping issues - perfectly playable for me.

I'm not sure about the interface - I have a feeling it'll be pretty tough on the joints with all the dynamic movement.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

I think its a rael shame.

I loved Gotham in the game, it was a great city enviroment that had a lot of potential.  But I strongly disagree with the way it was setup with the exact same mobs in the exact same spots doing the exact same things non-stop for the same 3 or 4 quests.

I think a real super hero game requires a more robust and "living city" GTA-style.....

another 5 cents on my behalf, though not sure if they go to SOE or to Steam so judge for yourself:

1) I had the game purchased from Steam when it launched initially

2) I was launching it directly from the folder and it was running and updating perfectly

3) now that the game gone FTP I wanted to visit the shop, which have poped up the message - I should launch the game from Steam to get access to it, which sounded fair to me...

4) I've launched the Steam and - ta da - it have started the game download from scratch.... - now I have to download all 10GBs of stuff... man it was perfectly working just yesterday!

I don't know who in SOE or Steam have their heads up their asses, but is sure demotivates me as a user!

• musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095

Just uninstalled this pile. I was in the origional beta and never had any real issues. Now that it goes F2P, It has literally taken me a whole day to install and actually be able to get into the game and run through the tutorial. Game just stopped on a loading screen after that and stayed that way for atleast 20 minutes. Pretty cool game for what it is but not worth all the crap that you have to get into to just load the game and play.

• GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312

Runs fine....server was offline for a good amount of time yesterday however. Used my free 500 SC and got premium status which is cool too :)

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

I just played it for a few hours this morning.  Ran fine, no queue, didnt have any problems getting in and was never dropped from the server.

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

Originally posted by charlespayne

If you bought the game and paid for subscriptions in past you auto put on premium not free.

So if I begin playing again they will automatically begin billing my account without me giving them the go ahead?

I am currently on "legendary" status, but I figured I had free days still for this game from went Sony got hacked and they gave everyone 45 free days for each game they owned?

If they started automatically charging my account, I will be contacting them and informing them that I demand a refund.

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

Sony will never suceed with MMOs granted this level of maintenance. What a shame - the game itself is pretty nice -/ though not much to do when you hit the lev cap. I've ended up getting the decent PvP gear (by which time I've got completely bored with the few battlegrounds available) and just doing some world PvP anf ganking - which is tons of fun - especially atacking the enemy base: with the right abilities you can pick up trucks and throw them to the enemy base from the distance killing low lev players and annoying the rest ... :-) so much fun )))

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by Dragim

Originally posted by charlespayne

So if I begin playing again they will automatically begin billing my account without me giving them the go ahead?

I am currently on "legendary" status, but I figured I had free days still for this game from went Sony got hacked and they gave everyone 45 free days for each game they owned?

If they started automatically charging my account, I will be contacting them and informing them that I demand a refund.

Just log into your account and remove  your credit card, then when your legendary runs out you will be downgraded to premium.

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

(All Access Game Pass)

CURRENT GAME PASS PLAN:

96 Day Non-Recurring

(game pass plan expires 12/25/11)

Interesting...I wonder where all this time came from...I certainly never paid for such time.

Though at one point I did subcribe to the all access pass for a month, but I cancelled that.

8/20/11

$19.99

VISA

All Access Game Pass

Strange the sub has been lasting this long...that was my last payment lol.

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

• sylum69sylum69 Member UncommonPosts: 100

Originally posted by s4ndm4n2006

It is fun.   Although it is a good character creation tool, it's not quite as good as that in Champions Online, although that's not to say that CO overall is necessarily better.  :)  I can't wait til the server issues are resolved, my son wants to try it with me. Woot!

^ This. A million times this! A lot of people really overexaggerate the short-comings of DC's charater creator. Yes it's lacking in a lot of areas, but it has a lot of stuff you can't find in CoX or CO. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the cosmic skin is awesome! It's better than anything CO has to offer.

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by sylum69

Originally posted by s4ndm4n2006

^ This. A million times this! A lot of people really overexaggerate the short-comings of DC's charater creator. Yes it's lacking in a lot of areas, but it has a lot of stuff you can't find in CoX or CO. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the cosmic skin is awesome! It's better than anything CO has to offer.

Majority of people downgrading DCUO's character creation system seem to only look at the very creation system at the start of game, ignoring the styles.

With the styles system,  you could say that you are creating and customizing your character through entire game, making the character creation system pretty much awesome.

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Already said on DCUo forums that there's a 600% increase in players...

...and it can be noticed. Both US and EU PC servers crash within 15 minutes after they're up again. Looks like SOE didn't expect THIS many players to be interested in a F2P DCUO ;)

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

Originally posted by Dragim

(All Access Game Pass)

CURRENT GAME PASS PLAN:

96 Day Non-Recurring

(game pass plan expires 12/25/11)

Interesting...I wonder where all this time came from...I certainly never paid for such time.

Though at one point I did subcribe to the all access pass for a month, but I cancelled that.

8/20/11 $19.99   VISA All Access Game Pass

Strange the sub has been lasting this long...that was my last payment lol.

yeah same thing for me as well..did,nt even know i had all access pass.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

I can't even play. It says I don't meet the minimum requirements even though I know I do. Pretty disappointed as I was looking forward to trying this game.

Smile

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Going to finally try this game this weekend.  It's on Steam, therefore I must download it. 

To the guy in the previous post about Steam and DCUO....sometimes Steam sucks for MMO's.  I love Steam, but sometimes with the constant patching an MMO does, it really messes up Steam.  If you have it installed and it's in the steamapps folder, try right-clicking on the game in your library, then clicking on properties in the context menu.  Then find the 'local files' tab, then 'verifity integrity of game cache'.  This should work and stop Steam from wanting to download it.