Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you pay an additional five dollars per month for enforced rule rp servers with active gm run e

MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

This is only for the rpers, so please if you do not rp then you should not be here. I would gladly pay 20 dollars a month for an enforced rp rules server, with gms that take an active role in the world with events, etc aka EQ1

Question is as an rper would you?

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

Comments

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

absolutely.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

nope. 15$ a month is more than enough enough for the team to provide lot more features than what we are receiving these days in mmorpgs..... more money just make devs more greedy and lazy...

• JC-SmithJC-Smith Member UncommonPosts: 421

In EQ 1 they had a Legends server for a while which I think was $45 or $50 a month, and quite a few people paid it. I tried it a month myself. Problem was they didn't really deliver enough GM controlled events, and the events went down over time. After a while people started moving back to their old servers.

It was nice though to see them a bit more often. I think there would be a marketplace for it. It would be a smaller market though.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Originally posted by Maquiame

This is only for the rpers, so please if you do not rp then you should not be here. I would gladly pay 20 dollars a month for an enforced rp rules server, with gms that take an active role in the world with events, etc aka EQ1

I find it odd that you wish to exclude non-RPers from your question.  There are many people that play on RP, RP-PvE, or RP-PvP servers so that they can get away from some of the nonsense that takes place on regular servers.  These people play quietly and do not intrude upon those that are RPing around them.  After all, they're seeking to enjoy the game as well.

I'm not sure that I would pay an extra amount for it, though.  If the company is providing a RP server, they should enforce the rules.  Otherwise, one might as well role on one of the other servers.

As for GMs taking an active role in world with events - even that should not strictly be a RP server feature.  It is funny how we have RIFT and GW2 talking about dynamic events - yet, they're still scripted.  Yes, dynamic events back in the day - led by a GM or groups of GMs.  Those were definitely fun.

Still, I could see where it could obviously be more enjoyable to experience that on a RP server . . . once again leaving behind that nonsense that is so common on the regular servers.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• SaydienSaydien Member Posts: 266

I'd definitely be willing to pay that bit of extra money. Sadly the devs and gamemasters have got really lazy when it comes to that. At least the bit of support like the GMs in Dark Age of Camelot and Starwars Galaxies offered by designing and spawning RP props (like a nicely decorated Theed palace) should be possible even today.

While I personally would not wish to lock any non-RP out I still would like some sort of enforced server ban/removal (for whole accounts) for those that keep acting against the rules.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

I would certainly give it a try.

I normally have no big issues with playing on RP servers and some people not adhering to the unwritten rules regarding OOC chat and naming, I just ignore them. But I am curious about what the experience would bring if everyone would be forced to comply.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by rojo6934

nope. 15$ a month is more than enough enough for the team to provide lot more features than what we are receiving these days in mmorpgs..... more money just make devs more greedy and lazy...

That was what my first thoughts were as well, but think about the extra GM work load: next to hosting events there would be a ton more of reports flowing in. 5 bucks a month equals an extra 10k per month on a 2000 pop server, they might be able to keep 4 full time gm's designated to each server with that. Sounds about right to be able to really offer that extra service.

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

I used to play on Legends, it was $40 a month and we got like three exclusive GMs or something. It wasn't enough to do a decent level of GM run events though, they were pretty sporadic.

I think though if the development team bothered to build the tools needed to run good GM events then it would work, but you'd still have to pay more than $20 for it, manpower is expensive these days, unless you outsource to India or something.

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

I think an extra $5/mo would be fair, but let me clarify what I'd expect.

Everyone must be in character 100% of the time and enforced.

That seems extreme, but imagine a server of hundreds of people in character all the time! It'd be like you're actually living in that world, something none of us have felt in a game world if ever. Last time I felt that was RPing in SWG.

As for GM scripted events, I agree with the others that it shouldn't be exclusive to RP servers. I also think that there wouldn't be a need for more than 1 of these servers, because I doubt many players are that hardcore.

This thread also opens up the discussion of what other type of server types would be worth the extra money?

• DoctrJackalDoctrJackal Member CommonPosts: 13

Originally posted by nate1980

I think an extra $5/mo would be fair, but let me clarify what I'd expect.

Everyone must be in character 100% of the time and enforced.

That seems extreme, but imagine a server of hundreds of people in character all the time! It'd be like you're actually living in that world, something none of us have felt in a game world if ever. Last time I felt that was RPing in SWG.

As for GM scripted events, I agree with the others that it shouldn't be exclusive to RP servers. I also think that there wouldn't be a need for more than 1 of these servers, because I doubt many players are that hardcore.

This thread also opens up the discussion of what other type of server types would be worth the extra money?

Everyone in character 100% of the time? That would be pretty awesome, actually.

As for GM scripted events, I only remember something the GMs did in Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine Online. One of the GMs was leaving the team so they acted out a scene where he sacrifices his life to save the city or something. It was pretty lame itself, but it was really cool to be there and watch.

I would definately pay for enforced RP rules. It's sad that it has to come down to that, though. In another thread, they're discussing how games have become more strict and limiting because of greifers, cheaters, etc. I don't think we should have to pay for a service that's already mutally decided on by the community that plays fair, but I guess that's the world we live in.

• HexipoxHexipox Member UncommonPosts: 241

I would much rather see a payment for events really. the F2P model always offers stuff that I could do without, some cool mount, fancy hat, you name it. I remember when I played Ultima Online so many years ago. GM were active and hosted events. My first year in that game had a monthly event. Some rather small some quite big. Rift tried to make this, in-game events. They all were the same first one was fun the next were just copies of this model, which down to the bottom, was just farm events.

Back to ’97 and Ultima Online. Multi events was hosted and always different, weather it was a 14 days of one of the towns overtaken by undeads, fight and get it back – This event I remember dearly, it made PVP grow, thieves could steal from all the adventures in the town. My biggest job in this event was to steal peoples silver weapons, to sell them in my shop, since the need for silver weapons was sky rocketing due to the event. Or it was evil disturbing in the city of undead. Fishing contest, animal taming contests, pvp contests. All these GM events made people start their oven events, creating their own towns and societies within the world (of cause housing was a big part of this). I remember the small society I ran with some friend “Dead Oak” hosted the most popular 1vs1 and 2vs2 events on the server. We had literally half the pvp society signed up for this, other than that we had loads of spectors, even GMs showed up. GM engaging in the game was just so much better. Of cause that game at its best had 250.000 subs. Now a game has atleast 3-4 times as much… but still.

There were an orc society too, they attacked anyone at sight since they were orc, they were very easy to kill, because it was a rule depending on your rank in the society, how good skill level you could use, due to the fact orcs are not that bright. I always though it was glorious that this guy would log on for hours just to die mostly, because he had no chance against my 7xgm mage. But then they gathered friends and came in large numbers and killed you, only thing you could do was laugh. The vampires hated the orcs so stealthing about when those two rival clans met on the field to loot their corps and steal their valuables. Man it was just fun. Back in 97 in UO u could only play human race, they had to RP.

In the main towns smith were standing at the smithery all day, was this famous guy called Lord Ulysses on our SHARD (yes this word, shard comes from ultima online, from the opening video, and is now used in all mmos) he always had the time to make you a set of armor. down by the lake you could find fishermen fishing and always selling fishsteaks. So on, it was just not a game it was actually a virtue life.

<-- Look at my portrait picture, now you may understand why I use this, to remember a mmoRPG era that will never ever come again. The real feeling of the last three letters in that word has died, today its MMO, not mmoRPG.

MMO is entertainment. Will I pay extra to watch a movie in 3D? yes sometimes. Why no pay extra to have more entertainment put in to a game I love?  

• waveslayerwaveslayer Member UncommonPosts: 511

I would pay it, no problem, even without the GM events.

Godz of War I call Thee

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

No. Two reasons. 

First, i do not believe that GM run events are really possible in MMOs. There is simply too many people, and either only "few" get to expeirence the stuff or the event has to be massive and thus shallow because Your action are meaningless. Story based events work so much better in smaller, more controlled environment, when every single character can actually participate without it turning into one big chaotic mess. 

I'd rather see tools that allow players to create "events" for their friends/guildies. 

Second thing... Why should i pay additional money for  a company to care about ruleset they set up themselves? It should be by default, and while i understand it's troublesome to police several servers, each with few thousand of players with the limited staff, i still believe They could do much better jobw ith it if only they would put some effort. Currently there is almost no consequence for having idiotic name or being jack ass that disturbs RP of other's because it takes forever for the GMs to really start doing something about it. If you need 30-50 or more peopel to report a name that obviously does not belong in the setting something isin't working right. 

• bumfmanbumfman Member Posts: 276

Originally posted by JC-Smith

In EQ 1 they had a Legends server for a while which I think was $45 or $50 a month, and quite a few people paid it. I tried it a month myself. Problem was they didn't really deliver enough GM controlled events, and the events went down over time. After a while people started moving back to their old servers.

It was nice though to see them a bit more often. I think there would be a marketplace for it. It would be a smaller market though.

I think the problem with the Legends server was the price. Had they done like the OP said and went with 5 bucks extra instead, they would have had many more people flock to that server which in turn would have been more money for them in the long run.

The price tag is what kept me away. God help you if you boxed an extra character, no way in Hell I would cough up that much green for a little entertainment.

Maybe 5 dollars more for each special server ( legends $5, RP $5, PVPRP $5) that would give people more options. Of course the question remains if they would be able to deliver with more GM controlled events and actively keep the rules for each server in check.

I think most people pick a certain server as home and generally stay there.

Work hard Play Harder

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

No I would not. The reason is Item shops and F2p are the wave of the future.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • bumfmanbumfman Member Posts: 276

Originally posted by Ezhae

No. Two reasons. 

First, i do not believe that GM run events are really possible in MMOs. There is simply too many people, and either only "few" get to expeirence the stuff or the event has to be massive and thus shallow because Your action are meaningless. Story based events work so much better in smaller, more controlled environment, when every single character can actually participate without it turning into one big chaotic mess. 

I'd rather see tools that allow players to create "events" for their friends/guildies. 

It is definately possible for GM events to run well. As an EQ player from the old days (2001) I witnessed such GM events all over the world of Norath. Skeleton attacks in South Karanas, not just spawned giant skelletons but controlled by GMs that would give chase. Dragons controlled by GMs that did some really neat stuff in the Dreadlands. There are simply too many to list lol. Of course it is my opinion that they ran well, but everyone at the events thought them to be outstanding.

Second thing... Why should i pay additional money for  a company to care about ruleset they set up themselves? It should be by default, and while i understand it's troublesome to police several servers, each with few thousand of players with the limited staff, i still believe They could do much better jobw ith it if only they would put some effort. Currently there is almost no consequence for having idiotic name or being jack ass that disturbs RP of other's because it takes forever for the GMs to really start doing something about it. If you need 30-50 or more peopel to report a name that obviously does not belong in the setting something isin't working right. 

Unfortunately, i feel it is the quality of GMs that make a difference to the game more so than the money. It just felt like issues were adressed much quicker and the GMs were so much more involved back in those days. I really dont know what is involved in controlling GM characters in game or what it takes to do an event as a GM but what i do know is that they did it right before, and they should be able to do it again.

The GM events now are more like taking a zone, spawning a bunch of different mobs (commonlands warewolf event) turning the sky red, despawning at a specific time. No GM controlled mob or GM interaction. It just seems... I dunno ... Lazy ? lol.

Throwing money at someone does not make them good at thier job. Passion and Pride in your work, that makes you good at your job.

I have not played in a year or so, so if things have changed please by all means let me know and I will gladly part with some of my hard earned cash to be back in the EQ world once more.

Work hard Play Harder

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

Originally posted by Maquiame This is only for the rpers, so please if you do not rp then you should not be here.

Ah, no room for people who used to RP then gave up a decade ago because of the futility of attempting it in then-current (and present-day) MMORPG games?  No place for people who are curious about RP and who might want to try it out, especially if the game encouraged or (it'll never happen) actually rewarded RP? 

OK then.  Keep preaching to the converted if you wish.  :D

As for the topic, as someone who roleplayed in tabletop games 30 years ago, and who ran two RPG stores and who was a member of several RPG clubs over the years, and who was in an RP guild in EQ1 until RP fell by the wayside in newer MMORPG games because their primary goal was levels and gear and 'screw everyone else'....

...oh, sorry!  I don't RP at this time so I shouldn't be here.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

Originally posted by Elsabolts

Sadly true, as witnessed by the ever-shorter period between release as a subscription game to becoming a F2P game.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Originally posted by Dibdabs

Originally posted by Elsabolts

Sadly true, as witnessed by the ever-shorter period between release as a subscription game to becoming a F2P game.

I would almost bet quite abit of money that the next thing we may see on MMO's will be upkeep costs for Item shops via F2p with upkeep costs to access the shop. The dye has been cast.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by Maquiame

If there is a guarantee of a healthy in-game population during my regular play times

If the GM event schedule covers all play times so that everyone has an even chance of participating in events during their play time.

If the enforced rules matched my idea of best rules for an RP server.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• PKJackCrowPKJackCrow Member Posts: 231

I dont know about rp but i remember gm event in eq and they were the cats meow. i do wish game would do more to do something like this. it was nice to have something unexpected to pop up take you on a quick little adventure.

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541

I'd try it.

The problem with most RP servers are these *idiots who says "lol an RP server is just like a normal server, nobody cares, i play on them because there are less *idiots on them, and to mess with those who actually RP".

I've never actually role played for real in an MMO, but i'm concidering trying it for SWTOR, IF there's a good server/community for it. Which i imagine there will be concidering the amount of hardcore SW-fans around whom are already dressing up like Storm Troopers and Darth Vader IRL <3.

• NiiehNiieh Member Posts: 46

I would! Timtrack is right,  I think this would be a way to avoid having 99% non-RPers on your RP server.

And if you have a population like that, there will probably be lots of events which are player-organized.

So events by GM’s wouldn’t be needed every single week, but of course I’d want them to be held now and then because it allows for a server-wide story that is constantly being advanced (and it’s new input for players).

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

I'd pay extra 5$/month if the devs provided a group of players with legal server, admin tools, and possibility to make and enforce their own rules.

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

No. There are levels of rp, and I am only a casual rp'er at best but even that can be seen as borderline. If a draconian GM does me despite being a paying cutomer like any other player then I have effectively paid for an authoritarian shot in my own foot so I would not back this scheme in any way. Liberty for the casuals!