Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Universities Investigate Warhammer Online

This is totally creepy. Apparently they made characters in our game and did some kind of study on gamers. I wonder why they would do that? I think it's disturbing.

They did an introduction video, and it's hard to figure out what they're up to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ju8AJ2rPCs

Comments

• MmocountMmocount Member Posts: 194

Studies on Masochism need to find their subjects somewhere these days. More power to them :)

• TheeMaulerTheeMauler Member Posts: 7

lol

They're trying to see if people gang up on each other and behave immoraly I guess? I can't figure out what they are trying to do?

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

any excuse to play video games in university....

.....what horrible music choice thoug. 

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

1. Brand new user

2. Universities (plural) "investigates" as opposed to "researches" for the conspiracy crowd

3. Creates post of "hey, check this out! Anyone know what this is about? Seems crazy! [link]"

4. Answers his own question

5. TheeMauler and The Mauler (see video description)

Just sayin'...

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• daedraardeaddaedraardead Member Posts: 3

I think universities should absolutely infiltrate MMOs to research the behavior of the players! It doesn't do any harm to anyone and they find out more about how people play games. Everyone is anonymous online - I don't think it's creepy. Also, I love that song in the video. It's from Inside Man... really good movie.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by Loktofeit

1. Brand new user

2. Universities (plural) "investigates" as opposed to "researches" for the conspiracy crowd

3. Creates post of "hey, check this out! Anyone know what this is about? Seems crazy! [link]"

Just sayin'...

Just Sayin, you are correct!

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

1. Brand new user

Just sayin'...

1. Killing over 100 people makes one a mauler, shouldn't you be a little bit scared of that? Even though I'm a newb here.

2. Sorry, you're right about the grammar it looks like it is Arizona State University only, I apologize. I usually hate bad grammar, but I did it wrong. I can't tell if they did research or an investigation, whichever makes more sense.

3. I'd like to figure out why they are looking at it. Dr. Neidert is apparently a Social Psychology professor, and the video has a character named Neidert. The video summarizes some aspects of the game, but it doesn't explain why they are "researching". It's creepy, not crazy, though isn't it?

4. Which question did I answer?

5. As above.

Sorry if you're not interested, I don't blame you I guess, but I think the video is too inoccuous not to be curious about it.

• Natasha123Natasha123 Member Posts: 3

I think you guys are right...Those dam researchers don't know what they are doing, I don;t want some creepy people to observe me and then write notes about me. However, the video itself is pretty good. If you love WarHammer...that is something educational :)

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Man this is right up there with wine testing, sweet.  I wonder how many credits you get for it?

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

1. Brand new user

Just sayin'...

Saved me the time of clicking on the link in op.  Thank you good sir!  Good day.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

They did this for their thesis at Arizona State University. 

Oooooohh.....so CREEEEPY!   Disturbing! 

This is plain cool.  So you're saying being allowed to do a thesis on an mmorpg is some sort of disturbing horrible thing?  No its not.  Thats awesome.  It means mmorpgs have become so culturally relevent they can be the focus of a thesis in college.  Its genious. 

It means while most people struggle with playing games and doing their school work and making time for both, these people figured out how to turn gaming INTO their school work. 

Games are often mocked and gamers considered immature.  Games have been said to be anything but art.  Yet college thesis' have now been conducted on them.  TAKE THAT OLD FARTS! 

How can you call this creepy or disturbing?  Its awesome.  Fantastic stuff.   There's absolutely nothing wrong with this.  At all.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

What concerns me, is that the vid author (who claims to have a Ph. D) couldn't even spell persistent correctly.

Red flag right off the bat.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Originally posted by Kost

What concerns me, is that the vid author (who claims to have a Ph. D) couldn't even spell persistent correctly.

Youtube has spell check built in and underlines wrongly spelled words too.   Sigh....

American education!  Worth every penny.   : |

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Same guys made this video too:

Learning to Absorb Energy (and Failing)

And people wonder why American college grads can't get jobs after spending 80k....

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

I don't get this video.  You need to have a Ph.D to show people how to play a video game?

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Originally posted by SuperXero89
    I don't get this video.  You need to have a Ph.D to show people how to play a video game?

Just the ones who think it's a good idea to spend 80-100k of their own (future) money on college loans to attend such a class in this economy.
  • GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

You seriously find this creepy or weird?

I'm guessing you're easily offended. To a point of ridiculousness.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Originally posted by popinjay

Just the ones who think it's a good idea to spend 80-100k of their own (future) money on college loans to attend such a class in this economy.

I'm in college.  Sometimes wish I wasn't.

I'm an Information Technology Services Major which means I should be able to find jobs in end-user support, PC repair, and IT administration when I graduate, but I only take one class in computer maintenance, office management, and data networks.  The rest of my classes are business courses and an assorted mishmash of classes that teach me how to use various other programs like Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and Adobe InDesign.

Meanwhile, I have a friend who is at a technical college getting his associates in IT, and he has taken 4 computer maintenance classes, two classes in CISCO networking, and two programming classes amongst other classes that I can't think of off the top of my head.

At the end of the day, you tell me who is more prepared for a job in the IT field and who is more prepared for certifcation exams.

Life sucks when your parents buy into the whole "college is the key to your future" BS schools have been shoving down society's throats for years.  When you actually step foot on a college campus, you realize what a cold, unfriendly place that can be -- full of professors who'd rather be anywhere on earth than lowering themselves to having to teach you classes every week.  It's not a place conducive to learning.  It's an assembly line where they farm out degrees then they throw you out into the unemployment line with a $40,000 dollar debt.  All college is good for is giving students stress related heart trauma and making them hate their life.  That is, of course, assuming they're actually doing their work rather than partying and skirting by doing as little as possible.

I could go on and on about my experiences at a university, but it was amazing the contrast between a lowly community college and a public university.  The community college was so warm, welcome and efficient in everything they did.  My advisors frequently sent me e-mails and reminders about various things,  my teachers actually seemed to enjoy teaching. and everyone was simply so approachable.  At my university, for example,  I didnt' even know who my advisor was when I moved here until I called my department head.  Additionally, I go to sign up for advising at 3:00 PM on the first day for student advising, and my advisor doesn't even have his timesheet up.  Every time class has been cancelled, the professors just leave a note on the door, meaning I drove to school that day for no reason.  No one knows anything.  If you have a question about something, you're directed to this department.  That department directs you to this department.  Most of the professors I've had here couldn't care less about teaching. They have Ph.Ds but they teach worse than high school teachers.  Of course, a lot of them have this arrogant attitude and are completely unwilling to work with you in any way whatsoever.

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Same guys made this video too:

Learning to Absorb Energy (and Failing)

And people wonder why American college grads can't get jobs after spending 80k....

It also depends on the university ;).  I'm a finance student at Texas Tech University and our business college as a whole has a very high rate of students who find jobs right out school.  Our Energy Commerce department alone has had a 100% rate the past two years.

But thats business, I'm assuming this thesis is for a different degree.

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

I'm an Information Technology Services Major which means I should be able to find jobs in end-user support, PC repair, and IT administration when I graduate, but I only take one class in computer maintenance, office management, and data networks.  The rest of my classes are business courses and an assorted mishmash of classes that teach me how to use various other programs like Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and Adobe InDesign.

Meanwhile, I have a friend who is at a technical college getting his associates in IT, and he has taken 4 computer maintenance classes, two classes in CISCO networking, and two programming classes amongst other classes that I can't think of off the top of my head.

At the end of the day, you tell me who is more prepared for a job in the IT field and who is more prepared for certifcation exams.

Life sucks when your parents buy into the whole "college is the key to your future" BS schools have been shoving down society's throats for years.  When you actually step foot on a college campus, you realize what a cold, unfriendly place that can be -- full of professors who'd rather be anywhere on earth than lowering themselves to having to teach you classes every week.  It's not a place conducive to learning.  It's an assembly line where they farm out degrees then they throw you out into the unemployment line with a $40,000 dollar debt.  All college is good for is giving students stress related heart trauma and making them hate their life.  That is, of course, assuming they're actually doing their work rather than partying and skirting by doing as little as possible.

I could go on and on about my experiences at a university, but it was amazing the contrast between a lowly community college and a public university.  The community college was so warm, welcome and efficient in everything they did.  My advisors frequently sent me e-mails and reminders about various things,  my teachers actually seemed to enjoy teaching. and everyone was simply so approachable.  At my university, for example,  I didnt' even know who my advisor was when I moved here until I called my department head.  Additionally, I go to sign up for advising at 3:00 PM on the first day for student advising, and my advisor doesn't even have his timesheet up.  Every time class has been cancelled, the professors just leave a note on the door, meaning I drove to school that day for no reason.  No one knows anything.  If you have a question about something, you're directed to this department.  That department directs you to this department.  Most of the professors I've had here couldn't care less about teaching. They have Ph.Ds but they teach worse than high school teachers.  Of course, a lot of them have this arrogant attitude and are completely unwilling to work with you in any way whatsoever.

Like I said in my previous post, thats going to depend on what college you go to.  Honestly, if I was in charge of hiring I would never hire anyone from a technical school or online college because they simply don't get as much as someone who went to a full university.  How can you possibly take 4 or 5 years of school and cram it into 1-2 years and still get the same information with the same level of understanding? 

What university do you go to so that I can remember to never reccomend it?  As I said before I go to Texas Tech and have never had expirences like at your university.  My school has 40,000 students and is easily more akin to your expirences at your community college.   When my classes are cancled (and its very rare) we get emails sent to us well in advance unless it was an emergency, but I've never had a professor just leave a note and not tell us in advance.  Regarding my professors, they seem to love what they do.  If I ever have questions they are free during office hours (which are clearly stated) and all of them can have appointments made.  I dont think I've had a single professor or teacher that seemed like they didnt really enjoy what they are doing.

Our MIS major (which is Managment Information Systems, which seems to be the same as yours) undergrads take much more than you seem to take in regards to systems.  http://is.ba.ttu.edu/ugrad/curriculum.php that is their junior and senior year curriculum which seems to be loaded with relevant classes.  (But, of course this point isnt relevant if the major isnt the same).

As a finance Major I know for a fact that I'll get hired on much faster than anyone who didnt go to a university. I'm actually on track for NYU or UPENN for my grad degree in Finance (which I will complete before going into the workforce).  I dont care how good people think those Technical, FOR PROFIT, schools are.  They simply can not compare to the education you will recieve at a university.

Edit: Sorry for double post.

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

I want to college for some crazy science that I have never used (except for problem solving skils).  I ended up working in tech support (mainly remote), maintenance, networking and I even do a little coding now.  University experience is nice, but in the end it doesn't matter as much as you think.  I just kind of got lucky, had some certifications, my school didn't have much to do with it.  Experience is what matters :D 

College was a blast... I miss it heh.  I still ponder more education but then I think about how I still have leftover bills from the first round!

edit:  oh and against my better judgement i clicked on link in op, it was lame.  i curse you youtube.

• mesmerisemesmerise Member UncommonPosts: 200

I didn't watch all of the video; I just wan't that interested.  As for university, I enjoy it.  I already have a few qualifications BA Sociology/Anthropology, MRes Social Anthropology, working on my MPH right now, and will be starting my PhD in October 2012.  I love academia and research!

• yoda_andyoda_and Member Posts: 8

Originally posted by Corehaven

They did this for their thesis at Arizona State University. 

Oooooohh.....so CREEEEPY!   Disturbing! 

This is plain cool.  So you're saying being allowed to do a thesis on an mmorpg is some sort of disturbing horrible thing?  No its not.  Thats awesome.  It means mmorpgs have become so culturally relevent they can be the focus of a thesis in college.  Its genious. 

It means while most people struggle with playing games and doing their school work and making time for both, these people figured out how to turn gaming INTO their school work. 

Games are often mocked and gamers considered immature.  Games have been said to be anything but art.  Yet college thesis' have now been conducted on them.  TAKE THAT OLD FARTS! 

How can you call this creepy or disturbing?  Its awesome.  Fantastic stuff.   There's absolutely nothing wrong with this.  At all.

Seriously! I think it is awesome that someone would take so much interest in mmorpgs as to do a thesis on them!

I mean, the video isn't exactly what I would call great, but hey, the music isn't half bad at least... in my opinion anyways haha

Originally posted by Kost

The description says the video *featured* their professor though, I don't think their professor made the video? Of course that student would hopefully not get a PhD if he doesn't know how to spell easy words.

• ballzdeepballzdeep Member Posts: 2

i thought that this link was super cool. the graphics were amazing, the music rocked, and there was a good theme and story for the game. rock on university students!