Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Glitch: A Different Game for a Different Crowd

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Glitch is certainly a game, according to MMORPG.com's Carolyn Koh, a game that marches to a different drummer. It's a game that defies 'traditional' MMOs. In our latest review, Carolyn puts Glitch through its paces. See how it measures up and then leave us a comment or two.

Glitch – a temporary malfunction or irregularity, a hitch, a snag. What imagery could a game with a name like that arouse? Created by the founders of Flicker, Tiny Speck developed Glitch as a web based, 2-D side scrolling game with a little platforming and that’s where it diverges from your regular, eXPected game world. The world you inhabit is created by the imagination of eleven Giants and you actually start your journey among the Neurons of such a brain before exiting into the greater world beyond.

Read more of Carolyn Koh's Glitch: A Different Game for a Different Crowd.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

I've been playing for 1-2 months, haven't spent a dime,  have almost every single skill in the game, and there's really nothing I've been unable to access except some cosmetic options.  Is this going to be a go to MMO for a lot of people?  Probably not.  But, for a browser game it's extremely original  and a decent amount of time can be sunk into it.

I have a couple invites still if anyone  needs one you can PM me.

Steam: Neph

• LuxumaruLuxumaru Member UncommonPosts: 259
    Nice write-up, thanks for introducing me to this game it sounds amazing!

Total MMOs played: 274|Enjoyed: 9. >:|

• RenkoRenko Member UncommonPosts: 97

A very fun game which other Devs should be taking notes from. This is the type of game where you intend to spend a few spare minutes playing and are still there several hours later.

• channel84channel84 Member UncommonPosts: 585

The community is the strong point of the game. End game consist of world building. 

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Only part of this I'm going to take issue with is the Longevity.  The game goes along ok for a while, until around the time when you get a big house.  It's one of the only tangible goals in the game, and suddenly.. it's like now what?   Only takes a few days, maybe a week.  Lot of players lose interest and realize there really isn't all the much to do, or work towards, at that point.  

I feel they need to add more content in the form of taking all the resources you can collect and adding all sorts of items that can be created with them.  Maybe they should have put less clothing in the item shop, and added a tailoring skill, for example.  Add player-crafted furnishings and decor for the house, and maybe some little animations to go with it.  Maybe housing itself could be something players build, instead of just buy.  Things like that.

Also, might be nice if players had reasons to go into eachother's neighborhoods, like if instead of an auction house, players could sell items from a stall in front of their houses.  That's if players could actually make things others would want.  As it stands, I'm not sure who even buys anything on the market, since its almost all so easy to get on your own.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• rtbbvrrtbbvr Member UncommonPosts: 163

The dev team is working on longevity constantly. They have World Building for the high end grafter gatherers, and are planning on adding more types of 'end game' building crafting and collecting options for the ones who have way to much money. Dev notes point towards a new skill branch that has insanely large skill and crafting prerequisites.

• MMOtoGOMMOtoGO Member Posts: 630

I think the greatness of Glitch goes beyond the game itself...it's what it stands for.  A browser game with great social functionality and a depth I haven't seen in many 3d mmo's.  Great write up, and I'm having a blast in this game.

• SyrusSyiSyrusSyi Member Posts: 366

This is a great fun game to play. I usually play it when i just get bored of my current games

Playing: Single player games |

Awaiting: Wild Star |Blade & Soul | The Repopulation | The Elder Scrolls online | ArcheAge | Firefall | Survarium | Bless | Black Desert |

Played: Guild Wars | Diablo 3 |The War Z | Runescape |World of Warcraft |Combat Arms |Perfect World | Rift | Fiesta | DC universe online | Aion | Age of Conan |Allods | Vindictus | The Secret World | Forge | Battle of the Immortals | Global Agenda| Cabal Online | Tera |

• IstafeinIstafein Member UncommonPosts: 70

Getting hopelessly addicted to this game caught me totally off-guard. It's just so different from what I'm used to.

And as others have said, the community is amazing. I can honestly say the friendliest people that I, personally, have met online, I met on this game!

“So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." - Matthew 6-34

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

wow, if I get the time soon I will be trying this out for sure

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

Sounds interesting, just started playing :)

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

I just started playing about 5 hours ago, and while I absolutely love the art style and charm (reminds me of Earthbound, for some reason), I wonder what would keep a player coming back?

There's not much to do besides wandering around and fulfilling the random quest objectives that spring up, and thank God for that, the game would be completely pointless without it. All the skills are timer-based, ala Eve, so I don't see a point in working towards a certain skill - like cooking to get better at it - it doesn't work that way, so no point in really stockpiling to grind on. The inventory is handled well, but leveling is a bit pointless, and you'd be better off just doing a tour of the game world for the massive explorer xp boosts.

Otherwise, some amazing situations so far, but all of them have been one-time deals. Love the Yellow Submarine references.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• blezedlexblezedlex Member Posts: 15

Looks like a cool game, I wanna test this and see if it really is that good.

• MMOtoGOMMOtoGO Member Posts: 630

Originally posted by GTwander

I just started playing about 5 hours ago, and while I absolutely love the art style and charm (reminds me of Earthbound, for some reason), I wonder what would keep a player coming back?

Keep coming back?...you never have to leave! Anyone with an iOS device can keep track of auctions, friend's achievements and skill training from anywhere.  Anybody with a basic internet connection at work can buy from the auction house.  It's a frickin' nightmare for people who can't resist getting addicted to this kind of thing.

Edit: not to mention the active community on the game forums and frequent contact from the devs.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by MMOtoGO

Originally posted by GTwander

Keep coming back?...you never have to leave! Anyone with an iOS device can keep track of auctions, friend's achievements and skill training from anywhere.  Anybody with a basic internet connection at work can buy from the auction house.  It's a frickin' nightmare for people who can't resist getting addicted to this kind of thing.

Edit: not to mention the active community on the game forums and frequent contact from the devs.

I think it'd be really successful on the iPad, but I'm not sure how you can suggest that using the Glitch app qualifies as playing the game, or being in the gameworld.. or much of anything that could keep someone busy for more than a few seconds?

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• yegnatsyegnats Member Posts: 157

I think this game has a lot of potential for creative players, if they'll add the ability to design clothing, and create blueprints for new tools and machines, even buildings, of course, with the approval of the dev team, which may need to get bigger. I don't know if this would be a subscriber only feature, but I could see it where players are rewarded for creating something good and get a cut of the credits that it's sold for, perhaps even they could redeem their credits back for real cash, even more people would play this game and stick with it if they could actually make a bit of change on the side.

Once you go go whack, you'll never go back.

What is this "whack", you say? Check out the links!
    http://www.thenewmystics.com
    http://www.joyrevolution.com
    http://www.thenewecstatics.co.uk

• MoogiefluffMoogiefluff Member UncommonPosts: 10

If they took the best thing about Whirled (player-created content) and added it into Glitch, Whirled would finally be sent to its long-awaiting grave.

• ariwinsariwins Member Posts: 60

Part of the fun of the game is doing whatever you want to do. I've had days where I liteally spent hours on the auction, buying stuff and cooking it to donate/sell. I've had other days which I spent just running around the world gathering items. Other days, I just want to be social. Go around interacting with other people, or joining any of the "groups" that are formed. Groups can be public or invite only, and are basically just like minded people, coming together for whatever reason. One of the groups I'm a part of is the Cubimal Racing League. While not supported "officially", we've formed teams and are working out a way to run Seasons of racing cubimals, which are really just a fun vanity item. :)

Some of the things the dev's have been working on are Group rooms. Basically, think a guild hall, except you can be a part of as many groups as possible. I can only imagine the fun we're going to have making a racing room for the Cubimal Racing League. Again, these can be private groups, so you can limit involvment if that's your desire. I'm thinking of starting a Glitch Comedy Club when this goes live.

They've also been working on house customizations. So you'll be able to moneysink into improving the functionality and look of your home.

The thing that I love most about the game, though, is just going to the forums to see what changes have been made. At least a few times a week, something is pushed out to make the game better, and they keep us updated through a few different channels (changelog, twitter, etc.)

While I totally plan on getting lost in Skyrim in a few days, I'm glad I found this game and was able to sink my teeth into it. I know I'll be coming back for a long time.Feel free to add me to contacts in game. I'm close to my 111 friends achievment. Also send me an IM if you have any questions. There's an achievment for that too. ;)

I Look forward to seeing you in the world of Ur!

In-Game Name: XD