Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Since 2008, We've heard about Turbines big Xbox 360/PS3 MMORPG... Where & What is it ?!?

Zaxx99Zaxx99 Somewhere IN, INPosts: 1,761Member

Okay. I own a PS3. And while it certainly has the power to run a good mmo game, there just isn't anything out there. DC Universe Online is a pathetic excuse for an mmo, as is the kid version from Sony "Free Realms".

Even the PS2 had a pretty good MMO in Everquest Adventures and if only they made a game like that but with the beefed up graphics and power that the PS3 could certainly give it, many console owners would be happy and gobble up that game like a horde of hungry zombies on a fallen horse.

* So, we've heard this way back in the middle of 2008:
"Turbine will announce console MMO projects "early next year"
( http://www.vgreleases.com/News-227519.aspx )

* In September of 2009, Turbine supposedly announced that this mmo game had already been in production for over 18 months and had exceeded 20 millions in costs. - That would mean that they started work on this game in early 2008.
( http://gamersyndrome.com/2009/video-games/turbine-announces-new-console-mmo/ )

* In June of 2010, We heard rumblings that Turbine had contracted the hot publisher Twisted Pixels for their mmo, but that this mmo was still "top secret".
( http://www.gamervision.com/users/veggie_jackson/articles/twisted_pixel_working_with_turbine_on_console_mmo )

* And in June of 2011, supposedly well over 3 years into production Turbine is hiring for a console game engineer. The project has also been named "Project Hendrix" but still nobody seems to know even the basic theme of what this mmo is, much less a screenshot or video glimpse.
( http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/06/20/rumor-turbine-working-on-console-mmo/ )

So about once a year since 2008, we've heard some tiny little tidbit or tease about this console mmorpg in production from Turbine. Is it just me, or does it seem like that might want to speed this up just a little with almost four years now into the project and rumblings of the new consoles (Xbox 720/PS4) coming out?

Trust me on a console like the PS3 and Xbox 360 where a good mmorpg just doesn't exist, there are plenty of fans starving for a good mmo. If you doubt that RPG fans exist on the consoles, wait until Skyrim launches soon and take a peek at it's console sales numbers for that game alone, hehe. So it would be expected that a good, or even decent fantasy MMO would be like a goldmine on today's consoles which are currently way over-flooded with online shooters and barren of any good online mmo sword wielding virtual realms.

Taking that into consideration, that Turbine could have a goldmine on its hands with the release of this "still top secret mmo"... Why are they dragging their feet on this and taking so long to at least give us all a hint or teaser of what we might expect? And the bigger question is.. Will this game ever even see the light of day considering how long it's been in production and how little they've given to the public?

Your thoughts, opinions, or ideas are welcome here. Please keep it civil and ON TOPIC!

- Zaxx

Comments

• XAPKenXAPKen Northwest, INPosts: 4,931Member Uncommon

A top-secret Turbine project?  I'm guessing Harry Potter.  Will it see the light of day?  Who knows.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now turned Amateur Game Developer.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  Realm Lords 2 on MMORPG.com
  • EliandalEliandal Chelmsford, ONPosts: 796Member

While there has been NO information coming from Turbine (which in itself is surprising - they're not a small company now)  I don't believe this will be vaporware.  If you've been checking the WB job listings over the past while - there have actually been quite a few posting for people with console experience.

We're just going to have to wait and see I guess.

• Zaxx99Zaxx99 Somewhere IN, INPosts: 1,761Member

Originally posted by ActionMMORPG
    A top-secret Turbine project?  I'm guessing Harry Potter.  Will it see the light of day?  Who knows.

I would hope not. Turbines best mmo by far is Asheron's Call, a completely made up world full of original monsters, loot, and content that didn't have any boundaries to stay within.

Lord of the Rings Online suffered as Turbine had to stay within reasonable Tolkien outlines and that limited the game and what they could do with that game. Same can be said for D&D Online. This is of course only my opinion, but I still honestly believe that Asheron's Call blows the doors off of LoTR and D&D, regardless of it's age crutches vs those shinier, prettier worlds of Turbines more recent mmorpgs.

Lord of the Rings still hasn't had a good licensed game of any sort that I have seen. All three action RPG style games for the PS3 under the LoTR license have been mediocre at best, and that includes the newly released "War in the North" game.

I would hope that Turbine would create an all new fantasy realm with their console mmo that would allow them to both let their imaginations soar and to make the most of both the power and limitations of working on a console. The console limitations itself are enough of a crutch, and having to keep within the scope of Harry Potter for example would only further restrict a console mmo's potential.

While I'd love to see a remake of Asheron's Call myself, I'd be infinitely excited just to see some of the core game mechanics from that classic put into a console mmo. I'd love to see full PvP servers, and magic bolts that need to be timed properly and shoot a straight path and are dodge-able as in good old AC.

An all new mmorpg and realm is what I'd love to see most as I think it would offer the most potential for success.

- Zaxx

• Havok2allHavok2all Roswell, GAPosts: 188Member Uncommon

I imagine there are some conflicts with both Xbox and Playstation getting close to launching their new console systems (around 2-3 years, although Sony is further behind MS). If I was spending that much money on a console MMO, I probably would build it around the new technology coming up instead of using old tech that will eventually become unsupported.

• EverSkellyEverSkelly AlytusPosts: 334Member

who cares. mmorpgs on consoles suck.

• VegettaVegetta Pittsburgh, PAPosts: 438Member

One of the guys in my guild works for Turbine but he has not mentioned any secret games in development. (unless he is being a good Lad and keeping the secrets secret!)

• Zaxx99Zaxx99 Somewhere IN, INPosts: 1,761Member

Originally posted by EverSkelly

I get what you say. But WHY do they "suck" ??

The console controllers today certainly offer enough buttons to map plenty of controls, camera controls, and even hot key several spells or attacks to a simple button press. Allowing the player to easily change and re-map those hot bar buttons could be implemented.

I think the main reason that people think console mmos "suck" is because of the inability to chat easily as you can on a PC, and perhaps graphics restrictions. But imagine now if a console mmo were made with new ideas that take advantage of current console technology. Perhaps the console mmo allows you to form a group as in so many PC mmos. That would offer a "group chat" window in a PC mmo. Now let's say in the console mmo that we also have Local chat and guild chat and even a market chat where items could be sold. Let's do away with all the typing however in the console mmo and allow the console gamers to use their fancy wireless headsets. The controller is mapped with a simple key press to cycle through chat windows per say which would be highlighted on screen. The user cycles to the group chat that he and his two friends are grouped in and simply TALKS. "Let's go enter the Dungeon of Darkness" he exclaims in excitement. Now him and his buddies can talk at ease about the risks vs rewards of entering that dungeon easily and freely while they play the game. No more having to stop moving or fighting to type in multiple sentences as in a PC mmo.

Obviously PC mmos can take advantage of voice chat as well, but on the consoles I am just pointing out that perhaps console mmo gaming doesn't have to be quite as restricted as we might think.

I'd love to hear more restrictions of console mmos that might make people think "console mmos suck" and how today's consoles might counter those restrictions to offer possibilities that might even be better then what a PC mmo might do today.

- Zaxx

• KabaalKabaal Edinburgh, ScotlandPosts: 3,012Member Uncommon

Originally posted by zaxtor99

Originally posted by EverSkelly

I get what you say. But WHY do they "suck" ??

Simply put, current consoles are yesterdays technology. PS3 and XBOX360 were great when they came out and for a few years afterwards, but as time has advanced so has the obvious aging of them. The more players on a map or server the more stress gets put on your own hardware, something that even PC's struggle with. Combine that with advancing graphics and well, the static consoles get left behind the ever evolving PC.

You won't see anything significant on the console side for MMO's until the next generation of them releases IMO.

• KabaalKabaal Edinburgh, ScotlandPosts: 3,012Member Uncommon

Originally posted by ActionMMORPG

It won't, Rowling wouldnt let it unless it generates her massive amounts of money. She may be a writer but she's also one of the most shrewd business people in the UK.