Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Outside the Box: Skyrim Cometh

Comments

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

Simply said the Elderscrolls series is AMAZING.  I find it amazingly disappointing that no MMO can still reproduce even the older openness of elder scroll games.  It is rather pathetic.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Originally posted by Terranah

Definitely getting this one.  But...do I get it to play on my gaming rig with hi rez and all eye candy turned on or do I play on my new top of the line, Samsung hi def led 3d 55 inch TV.  Hmmmmm.  Decisions, decisions.  I like that with PC you get mods and reskins and stuff.  But the idea of playing in simulated 3d has some appeal.  Maybe I'll buy for pc and rent for Xbox360 to get it out of my system.

You buy the game on PC, get a decent controller and buy a longish HDMI cable and hook it up to your awesome TV.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• jpgringo23jpgringo23 Member Posts: 3

Originally posted by Bakkoda24

Originally posted by greenneck37

Originally posted by Bakkoda24

Originally posted by Ozmodan

The only problem with some of these RPGs, some have that horrible always connected DRM which is rather stupid for a single player game.  Not sure about this title.

From what I have read about, Skyrim's will be using Valve's Steamworks DRM will only make you be online for the registration. After that, you can play offline as much as you want. It's considered one of the "least instrusive" forms of DRM. While I believe that any form of DRM is a horrible way of telling the customer "we don't trust you at all," I haven't seen many people complain about Valve's DRM. I'll keep digging and post some articles.

Skyrim is not using GFWL, which is assume many of you know already, but instead will be using Valve's version of DRM.

http://www.techspot.com/news/45130-ubisoft-tweaks-drivers-always-on-drm-skyrim-to-use-steam.html

I will add more articles as I find them.

Valve's steamwork is the "least intrusive?"  gimmie a break. I had to uninstall (briefly) my virus protection and my sucky computer connection took over 7 hours to download steam.  I HATE it because i had to install it to play a different game.  i think it is a pain to even see their logo on my computer.  just a memory-munching waste, as far as im concerned.  I love the fallout and elder scrolls series, and just wish bethesda wouldn't use such a user-unfriendly program to launch it.  No i dont want to buy a bunch of crap after a game comes out.  yes i want to go it alone, you can mmorp all u want, i just want to play a game without being distracted by steam whistles.

Did you read any of the articles I posted or did you just choose to ignore everything else?

Every version of DRM is intrusive. Valve states that Steamworks does not install any root-kits or anything like that, you can install on multiple machines thanks to Steam Cloud, no install limit, and you don't have to be online while you play.

I'll repeat that for you. You don't have to be online while you play, only for registration. As soon as your game is validated (and installed for me since I pre-ordered via Steam), you can exit Steam.

Also, I don't really understand the last part of your argument.

The last part of his argument is that steam uses memory and processer power to always run on your machine. I hate games that force me to install some sort of "allways on" piece. I have the knowledge to remove that crap and keep my machine streamlined. The response I always hear is that "they dont use much" yeah but get 10 to 20 of them running and they add up and cause conflicts. Please dont run crap on my PC except when I desire it to be run. It is a principle thing. 

I hate it that I buy a game and then have to get a crack from a hacker group to run it without steam or the dvd in the tray. But that is what I do because I want the freedom not restriction.

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

Originally posted by Z3R01

Definitely getting this one.  But...do I get it to play on my gaming rig with hi rez and all eye candy turned on or do I play on my new top of the line, Samsung hi def led 3d 55 inch TV.  Hmmmmm.  Decisions, decisions.  I like that with PC you get mods and reskins and stuff.  But the idea of playing in simulated 3d has some appeal.  Maybe I'll buy for pc and rent for Xbox360 to get it out of my system.

You buy the game on PC, get a decent controller and buy a longish HDMI cable and hook it up to your awesome TV.

Heh, what I have done. 25 ft. hdmi cable for $15 bucks :D I can lay down in my bed with my wireless controller :P Beat that for ultimate comfort!

BOOYAKA!

• TJHookerTJHooker Member Posts: 10

Originally posted by greenneck37

Valve's steamwork is the "least intrusive?"  gimmie a break. I had to uninstall (briefly) my virus protection and my sucky computer connection took over 7 hours to download steam.  I HATE it because i had to install it to play a different game.

I seem to remember downloading Steam once long ago.

I just drag the (backed up) folder over to a new computer whenever I reinstall windows. It takes it about 1 min to sort itself out (reinstall) and download a few updates. No problems with A/V programs/firewalls... I assume you know how to use your security software program?

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

I'm really sort of meh for this one especially after Oblivion and Fallout 3.  I don't have that feel anymore with their games that I used to.

I figure I'll get it eventually just for the mods, but I'm definitely not buying it at release and I'll probably just wait until the inevitable GOTY edition comes along.

I'll be extremely disappointed if they're done with expansions ala Shivering Isles.  With the way things are shifting in gaming, I'd certainly not be surprised.

Originally posted by jpgringo23

I hate it that I buy a game and then have to get a crack from a hacker group to run it without steam or the dvd in the tray. But that is what I do because I want the freedom not restriction.

You could've just shown some restraint and not purchased it.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

I think the simulated 3D will feel like a gimmick, but even if its great compared to a HD pc screen + proper graphics card, I wouldn't ever want to play without the option to use mods.

At least for me tesnexus (for MW and Oblivion) / fallout 3 nexus / fallout new vegas nexus have prolonged my fun with these games maybe a tenfold.

Ability to use mods allows you to improve your UI, use high res texture packs, improve game mechanics, increase performance, replace the bodies with better looking ones, add content / items and totally new features, etc. etc.

The only thing is that you have to filter out and don't touch are all the crappy mods that are also being made by a gazillion of people but that is no biggie.

• kingtofukingtofu Member UncommonPosts: 98

The start of this post mentioned that the game is set 200yrs in the future from Oblivion.... yet the characters clothes, buildings and furniture still looks almost the same..... 

Not much progress for 200yrs in the future????

Originally posted by kingtofu

The start of this post mentioned that the game is set 200yrs in the future from Oblivion.... yet the characters clothes, buildings and furniture still looks almost the same..... 

Swtor takes place 3500 years before the movies and tech is pretty much the same.

I seldomly bother with wondering about stuff like that when I play games. Those timeframes are mainly used to set the seperate stories and backgrounds appart. Whether its 50 years, 200 or 3500. *shrugs*

But you can always wait for a mod to add firearms / motorcycles / warplanes or build one yourself in Skyrim.

• kingtofukingtofu Member UncommonPosts: 98

im still buying the game at launch cause it looks friggin awesome, but 200yrs in the future with little technological improvements strikes me as odd.

im still buying the game at launch cause it looks friggin awesome, but 200yrs in the future with little technological improvements strikes me as odd.

That's cool. But another thing: if you look at our own history (in Europe that is), you'd see that nothing really changed much between the 1st and 10th century either.

edit: Maybe because we happen to live our lives in a time of industrial, technological and digital revolutions we think progress should be so fast.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

Why build a better mousetrap when you can cast a bigger fireball?

• RobgmurRobgmur Member Posts: 322

Yea they should have Macbooks and facebook

*Corsair Obsidian Series 650D *i5-2500K OC'd ~ 4.5
    *Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 mother board
    * Radeon HD 7970
    *8GB (4GBx2) 1600MHz Kingston HyperX
    *240GB Corsair Force GT Series SATA-III SSD

• Radar11xRadar11x Member UncommonPosts: 118

I stopped caring for TOR the game will be Good  but i need somthing with newer elements other then voice actting. So heres to hope that GW 2 will be awesome. On that note Skyrim can tie me over for months if i let it. xD

• NightCloakNightCloak Member UncommonPosts: 452

My 6 day weekend will be enjoyed with this game... Oh yes...

Much like the the earlier poster, pizza and alcoholic beverages galore!

• sfly2000sfly2000 Member Posts: 168

Excuse me...but how is this an MMORPG?

I mean its not even multiplayer fer crying out loud...

Just cause a game is hyped doesn't need it has to be here....

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Originally posted by sfly2000

Well, the title of the article is called "Outside the Box", so I suppose that's why they're covering it here.

And while I certainly don't understand why people play single player games since I haven't enjoyed one since discovering MMORPG's 10 years ago, it seems a certain segment of the market (read most people) enjoy multiple genre's of gaming. (go figure, they probably still play Life and Monopoly too) image

What the heck, I might even try this title just to see what all the fuss is about.  Fallout 3 was pretty fun for a bit (OK, I do sneak out and try them from time to time) so perhaps this one will be good for a few months of entertainment.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by sfly2000

oh

come

on

"outside the box"

Also it is part of one of the most renowned RPG series. Even if it doesn't have the mmo designation, it still is a RPG and very interesting to a big chunk of mmorpg.com's target group.

• sfly2000sfly2000 Member Posts: 168

Originally posted by Kyleran

Well, the title of the article is called "Outside the Box", so I suppose that's why they're covering it here.

Lol..."outside the box" is not enough here.....its more like "outside the universe".....

• drake201drake201 Member Posts: 75

Defiently haft to try morrowind/oblivion/fallout series on pc, these games have one of the largest modding communities out there for pc allowing for  a truly customized experienced.

Cant wait for skyrim, thank god i have swtor  to hold me over these next few hellish days.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Bleh, Skyrim doesn't cometh for me until perhaps 6 months time once the mods have started flowing. The Elder Scrolls games are merely good games in their untouched release form, it's the modding community that makes them amazing ones.

• TimacekTimacek Member UncommonPosts: 182

it would be perfect sandbox MMO, just think about it

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Oh really?  Thats true?  I had no idea.  200 years in the future huh?  Well thanks for putting that out there.  Good to know. 

In the distant past, back when folks were running around with bows and arrows, or swords and shields, 200 years was significant.  But you know....they still kind of were running around with swords and shields too.  So go figure. 

Also, it might be worth taking into consideration that this is Skyrim.  Its a land all its own and Im not sure its been shown before.  So that might just be the level of technology that they are at.   But regardless I kind of have to imagine the rest of the world is pretty much on the same level. 

Technology progressed kind of slow in the ancient times really.  Im not sure we would even be at the point we are now in the real world if we had magic.  Why bother with a lot of the technological breakthroughs when you have such a crutch to lean on.  Also, I wonder how easy it is to build anything with dragons running all over the place.  Of course I think thats a new and recent occurance.  But you also have trolls and giants and all sorts of horrible creatures out in the wild. 

I think if our world had that kind of thing currently, we'd be a lot less technologically advanced, and Id have to guess there might be a lot less people in the world as well.  Kind of hard to raise a family when half of them get eaten by trolls.  Or the undead.  Or any number of horrible abominations.  Elder Scrolls is an amazing world, but honestly?  I seriously doubt any of us would really last 2 hours there in the wilderness.  Something to think about. 

• ThaneUlfgarThaneUlfgar Member Posts: 283

Of all the changes from Oblivion to this game, the best one is the improved character models. Holy crap the characters in Oblivion looked ridiculous.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by ThaneUlfgar

Of all the changes from Oblivion to this game, the best one is the improved character models. Holy crap the characters in Oblivion looked ridiculous.

The best change that you've seen so far.

I have a feeling a lot of us will be wow'd by the improved radiant AI system and new radiant story system when we get our hands on the game and start playing.