Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Battlefield 3 - Loading, Please Wait...

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Battlefield 3. The mere sight and sound of the name sends players around the world in to paroxysms of joy. In Coyote's Howlings today, MMORPG.com's  Coyote Sharptongue chronicles his glee...and angst...with the hallowed title from EA. Check it out and then let us know about your experiences with Battlefield 3 in the comments.

Like the 800 Billon other people worldwide who made the game go super-triple-uber-platinum before it was even released, I rushed right out to reserve my Limited Edition copy, never once questioning how every copy of the game can be considered "limited". Ripping through the impossibly strong cellophane that they use on physical copy DVD's, I held the glowing disks towards the skies and thanked the Gods themselves for the bounty of teabaggings I was about to receive.

Read more Coyote's Howlings: Battlefield 3 - Loading, Please Wait....

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• StormNetStormNet Member UncommonPosts: 31

Good read, it made me giggle. Just let me play the game I payed my hard earned money to play... Is that asking too much??

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283

Its funny cause its true. Thats how i feel about origin and battlelog too. I was doing just fine with Steam.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959

I am playing the Single Player Campain currently on my XBOX360! Love it! And no issues! :P

No Origin crap, no punkbuster crap.

Sometimes it's nice to have a console next to a PC! :D

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

Love the description of Origin, that is so perfect.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Finished the campaign last night. Been playing a lot of online multiplayer the past week

PC version.

OMG is the game amazing, but OMG is the whole battlelog/origin thing ridiculously stupid and worthless and the biggest mistake ever.

Waiting for that "mircale patch" that will turn the whole Battlelog thing into something other then a flaming pile of shit.

I mean, I like the Facebook-esque qualities of it.

The party and party-join systems are needlessly complex and obtrusive.

TLDR:

The game is amazing, getting into the game is a suicide machine.

*side note*

I really hope they "fix" Origin and all this garbage before SWTOR is released.

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

As he said "It's a great game... if you can play it". I routinely have 3 or 4 attempts to get on a server and often I will get  kicked due to server timeout. Very frustrating.

When you get on it's an excellent and very addicting game. I will freely admit that I suck and while others take a quick burst to kill will take me a full magazine and don't get me started on my inability to hit anyone with a sniper rifle (I got pretty good in BFBC2 but I suck @#$#s in BF3). If my K/D ratio is close to 1:1 I'm happy. I'm confident that they will get all the server issues ironed out and it will be all smooth sailing.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

What i dont get, everyone is complaining about MMO's not being innovative.. and that they all look alike..

The FPS genre is a whole different thing... or don't they all look the same these BF/COD mods...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

God **** that was hilarious. Mad props.

Do you also write columns outside of the gaming industry? Curious to read any. If not: you should!

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I know some of the main cheat sites and this game already has working cheats.I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole because of cheating,same reason i quit playing my fave COD series.

These developers know how to stop hacking ,cheating and remain in the role of not caring one bit.So if they don't care about you the legit gamer,why would we support them?

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

A game launcher (Origin) directing you to a web page (battlelog) in order to quick launch a game or choose a server from your browser, seems like an odd way of doing things. It is working though, so no complaints there.

I would like to note the first day issues wth punkbuster kicking people out of the game due to not be properly (and automatically) updated.

What I don't like about the ingame interface is the loadout menu. Drop down menus so we can pick stuff faster would have been more appropriate for a PC version instead of using that console-like menu that doesn't utilise the mouse in its full potential.

Then again, BF3 is not the only company that "punishes" PC owners with bad interface, due to the consoles limitations. I dread to see the interface Skyrim will have.

• MyGaronaMyGarona Member Posts: 139
    Least fun multiplayer ever - that's from a casual fps player perspective.
  • MarlonBMarlonB Member UncommonPosts: 526

I love this article ... I love steam ... and i'm now seriously considering cancelling my swtor preorder with origin :)

• hardiconhardicon Member UncommonPosts: 335

cheating, hacking, now you have to jump through hoops just to play a ea game.  no thanks.  kingdoms of amalur better just let me freaking play.  i dont care about online shit, if i want that ill go play a mmo.  single player games i just want to play.  this is stupid on the part of EA or maybe its smart because apparantly it hasnt stopped anyone from playing the game yet.

great article coyote

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

I know the feeling, I felt the same way when I bought Fallout new vegas and had to install/use steam to play the damn thing.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

Die EA Die! What smart-ass people are doing something like this to their customers?!

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

It would have looked a lot less odd if they had integrated browser support into Origin and the browser window actualy opened into Origin instead of the browser.

I suppose that the Origin platform is not mature enough yet.

• RobgmurRobgmur Member Posts: 322

I'm a loyal BF player but they did pump too much B.S into this game. Its sad BF3 sold so many at pre-order but couldn't actually shine through once released to the public; it's a disgrace to the BF series. They need to fix these issues quick or they will lose all hopes of any more big title releases. They did in fact luck out with this one and the hype factor and massive sales, but they can't bank on that again with this shameful release.

They essentially turned this into a bloat ware-infested over exaggerated Bad Company 3.. All the old great aspects of BF2 have been lost in translation.

*Corsair Obsidian Series 650D *i5-2500K OC'd ~ 4.5
    *Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 mother board
    * Radeon HD 7970
    *8GB (4GBx2) 1600MHz Kingston HyperX
    *240GB Corsair Force GT Series SATA-III SSD

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

Nice article. This is how I felt when I decided to download the BF 3 beta. It was beta and as such I was willing to put up with a little more frustration (it's beta right?). However, knowing full well all of the hoops that I'd have to jump through just to play, I'd almost rather just stick with MW3. I've been using steam since HL2 came out, and it's a nice medium. Origin+Battlelog just made me want to gouge my eyes out (why they don't streamline this is beyond me).

Of course, I'm getting Skyrim next week instead of BF3 or MW3. Honestly, I am hoping for a steam after christmas sale for MW3 (doubt it will happen though).

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Funny thing is the hackers have already removed the need to connect to origin and the resulting code is even being promoted by several game mags.

Absolutely idiotic to put always on DRM in a single player game.  EA deserves all the hate directed to them.  

There are some graphic issues out there that will require some driver updates when they are available.

• StruggsStruggs Member Posts: 205

I have been playing for about 24 hrs of game play and have had no issues logging in. I think I had trouble one time connecting to servers and just closed origin and re-opened it but I have had to do that with steam ocassionaly as well. I guess I've been lucky

imageimage

• PukeBucketPukeBucket Member Posts: 867

Play on PC.

I've not had any of these problems just cuz.

I used to play MMOs like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Funny thing is the hackers have already removed the need to connect to origin and the resulting code is even being promoted by several game mags.

Absolutely idiotic to put always on DRM in a single player game.  EA deserves all the hate directed to them.  

BF is not a single-player fanchise by any stretch of the imagination.

Originally posted by Struggs

I have been playing for about 24 hrs of game play and have had no issues logging in. I think I had trouble one time connecting to servers and just closed origin and re-opened it but I have had to do that with steam ocassionaly as well. I guess I've been lucky

That or you're not a sensationalist. image

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by DarkPony

God **** that was hilarious. Mad props.

Do you also write columns outside of the gaming industry? Curious to read any. If not: you should!

MEGALAWLS!!!!!

I have to second Pony's opinion here.

And on the subject of the article, this is exactly why I find myself buying less and less games every year. I refuse to saddle myself with all the extraneous bullsh*t the digital pimps in the marketing department keep pushing on us.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by Tardcore

MEGALAWLS!!!!!

*licks colored letters, hoping its candy*