Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OK, gonna hit this with a few RL friends when we get a fresh server... vet tips plz:)

VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Any insights that anyone wants to share for newbs that might not be in the guides?

We all come from EQ and have played other MMOs,but I am guessing L2 has it's own thing going on?

Comments

• LevarkLevark Member UncommonPosts: 18

i am starting when it goes f2p too, if u guys are playing eu servers please let me know i am looking for a group =) sorry for being out of the topic hehe played l2 allot it was just all about grinding but i read that they made it stream-questlined and changed the lvling path for newbies so i have no idea how its gonna be

• ColdicesColdices Member Posts: 157

Im not sure if you are known with the game mechanics so I will tell you a few basics about the game.

This game is very party oriented. For the past few years it's all about constant parties. That is just a group of people you party with. Its a pre-configured group with an ideal party setup (for example in the new update for a mage party: Tank/Healer/Recharger/Buffer/Mage/Mage/Mage) . So in your situation, its good that you have friends with you.  GoD will reduce the party size from 9 to 7 so keep that in mind. But if you are rather new to the game I would advice you to just play the game and do this later. I predict alot of PvPing and competition at the start of the server. So try find a good clan at start for protection etc :)

As for the clan system...There are heavy organized clans that probably made 10-20 complete parties and with perfect organization with the goal to 'rule' the server already. They will probably dominate some hunting grounds etc. So finding a clan is a key-part. Usually there is alot of choice here. With no pre-determined factions you can choose your own side on the server. There probably will be a few heavy alliances on the server with enemies and allies.

For exampleClan A is the best clan on the server. Clan B is their ally. Clan D is the other big force and is enemy of A and for that reason automatically is an enemy of Clan B. But Clan D is allied with Clan H and because Clan D is in war with Clan A... Clan H is also an enemy of clan A and B. Clan A remains the strongest and they win every fight, they have acccess to every boss and grow strong very fast. After a while Clan A is so strong that they don't care about their allies anymore. They ditch them and Clan B joins the side of Clan D, together they try to get Clan A 'down' etc etc etc.... Understand what I mean ? This is just an example with a few clans but you will have alot more clan in the real game. This is pretty unique in this game and this creates massive pvp's,clan drama's,clan betrayal etc. Thats why this game is so good, you get a real feeling of war. Immersion++ etc. :P

Best tip I could give you is to learn how to play this game effectively, it will be hard if you are a completely new player but its also more fun to discover everything yourself :). You can do this by playing on the Russian PTS of GoD or just play on the official / PServers to get the hang of it.

Alot of things will be revamped in GoD so giving tips about leveling spots/ what to buy etc is hard.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by Levark

i am starting when it goes f2p too, if u guys are playing eu servers please let me know i am looking for a group =) sorry for being out of the topic hehe played l2 allot it was just all about grinding but i read that they made it stream-questlined and changed the lvling path for newbies so i have no idea how its gonna be

First thing we will be doing is to look for a guild tbh, so I will shoot you a PM :)

Originally posted by Coldices

Im not sure if you are known with the game mechanics so I will tell you a few basics about the game.

This game is very party oriented. For the past few years it's all about constant parties. That is just a group of people you party with. Its a pre-configured group with an ideal party setup (for example in the new update for a mage party: Tank/Healer/Recharger/Buffer/Mage/Mage/Mage) . So in your situation, its good that you have friends with you.  GoD will reduce the party size from 9 to 7 so keep that in mind. But if you are rather new to the game I would advice you to just play the game and do this later. I predict alot of PvPing and competition at the start of the server. So try find a good clan at start for protection etc :)

As for the clan system...There are heavy organized clans that probably made 10-20 complete parties and with perfect organization with the goal to 'rule' the server already. They will probably dominate some hunting grounds etc. So finding a clan is a key-part. Usually there is alot of choice here. With no pre-determined factions you can choose your own side on the server. There probably will be a few heavy alliances on the server with enemies and allies.

For exampleClan A is the best clan on the server. Clan B is their ally. Clan D is the other big force and is enemy of A and for that reason automatically is an enemy of Clan B. But Clan D is allied with Clan H and because Clan D is in war with Clan A... Clan H is also an enemy of clan A and B. Clan A remains the strongest and they win every fight, they have acccess to every boss and grow strong very fast. After a while Clan A is so strong that they don't care about their allies anymore. They ditch them and Clan B joins the side of Clan D, together they try to get Clan A 'down' etc etc etc.... Understand what I mean ? This is just an example with a few clans but you will have alot more clan in the real game. This is pretty unique in this game and this creates massive pvp's,clan drama's,clan betrayal etc. Thats why this game is so good, you get a real feeling of war. Immersion++ etc. :P

Best tip I could give you is to learn how to play this game effectively, it will be hard if you are a completely new player but its also more fun to discover everything yourself :). You can do this by playing on the Russian PTS of GoD or just play on the official / PServers to get the hang of it.

Alot of things will be revamped in GoD so giving tips about leveling spots/ what to buy etc is hard.

Thanks for the nice reply, I get what your saying 100%.

I love the fact that the 'factions' are player created and not hardcoded, thats a major draw. Does it self balance in your experience?

• EphimeroEphimero Member Posts: 1,860

I too am starting again, back in my day it was all about->

Grind to 78, start subclass, grind subclass, become noblesse, try to become hero. And raids on antharas/valaks/baium as soon as they spawned.

Has the metagame changed a lot? What steps would you add there?

• bazerionbazerion Member Posts: 23

I am starting when new servers come out too, any new guilds forming?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

While I've heard it's gotten a bit better since I played back at launch, I'm willing to bet neverending grind on camp mobs is still a watchword of Lineage 2, and figuring out the way to do it most efficiently is the key to success.

The real fun of L2 doesn't happen until end game when you get involved in all the seiges and stuff, so the sooner you get there the better.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Kyleran

While I've heard it's gotten a bit better since I played back at launch, I'm willing to bet neverending grind on camp mobs is still a watchword of Lineage 2, and figuring out the way to do it most efficiently is the key to success.

The real fun of L2 doesn't happen until end game when you get involved in all the seiges and stuff, so the sooner you get there the better.

They talk about a completely overhauled quest path and 400% levelling speed so I think they are ahead of your worries TBH Kyl.

I think NCsoft get that they need to get folk to end game asap in order to have a wider appeal  :)

• ColdicesColdices Member Posts: 157

Originally posted by vesavius

Originally posted by Coldices

''

Thanks for the nice reply, I get what your saying 100%.

I love the fact that the 'factions' are player created and not hardcoded, thats a major draw. Does it self balance in your experience?

Eventually the leading will fall and another will take its place, sometimes you have balance between 2 clans, other times 1 clan rules the server for as long as a year... The best thing is that the clans and people in it will be rememberd by the players. You can really become a 'legend' in this game :)  

• farfanugonfarfanugon Member Posts: 419

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo170/farfanugon/L2.gif

this is how to turn on WASD movement

Alt+enter = windows mode .

I just started the other day and these 2 tidd-bits made all the diff in the world on this game to me

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775

Haha i just cant figure out why you want to play with WASD so badly. : P

For those curious here is some GoD pvp from today, ruskie servers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCDk74YjXF4&hd=1