Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Spoilers Suck

Comments

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Mike - I think you meant "...so many are willing to divulge in chat, on VentRilo and online forums"

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• usually there are decent articles but this one is stretching a bit

not a significant enough issue to write about..

• SniperpcwSniperpcw Member Posts: 20

Originally posted by Hexipox

I will turn off general chat, will be playing the game with only combat tab visual to me. Showing what is going on in combat. then i will have a tab for convasations from the plot and the experince gained etc.

lastly the tab i wont really use with tells / say / ooc - whatever.

When im max level i'll start looking for a guild. We are 10 RL/internet friends who gonna play this and we all agree we can talk on VT about how the different classes progess, their abilities, how they might work for pvp etc .. BUT NEVER the story.

Im quite sure a lot dont care about this. But i look at this game as if it was another 3 movies of Starwars where im the main man! i dont wanna know if Darth Dinglehopper will kill Princess Lovelylooking in the end etc. I wanna experince it on my own, laugh, etc.

As i know the decisions you make wont change your class at all, so i will just choose what i like, not care what other thinks is best. If it had and impact on how you class would develop (skills, talents etc) then it was a whole other matter.

Where I do agree with you about if you are wanting to experience that full story without having to listen to stupid chat ruining it for you etc etc one thing I disagree with you is having Ventrilo on, how would you enjoy the story still when you have your friends blabbering in your ear about probably some of the same things you are seeing in chat tab? at least in chat tab you can't hear them....ventrilo would totally ruin that story for me considering it's all voice over.

• games72games72 Member Posts: 31

I don't care about spoilers, really (That being said I will try to be considerate of others who care).  I'm playing it because it's a Star Wars MMO, so I'll be MMO'ing.  If it's fun to play with other people then I'll play, if not, then I'll go back to the single player games every once in awhile for my Star Wars fix and save $15/month.

Really I'd only be "spoiled" if that hot tail in the slave bikini I'll be chasin' turns out to be hot tail in a slave bikini in real, but that's not the spoiled you're looking for... move along...

• SBE1SBE1 Member UncommonPosts: 340

The real question is, if story is THAT important to the success/enjoyment of the game, what happens when you're done with the story?  I suppose the first answer is "make an alt and play that story" but seriously, you think you wont know most of the class stories by the time you finish yours?   

Thus, you probably go through the game twice (one good guy, one bad guy) and then end the subscription.  That's the problem with these types of games. 

• DevianeDeviane Member UncommonPosts: 108

i use to read guides when im stuck so...my only cncern if  guides websites would put spoier warnings or  spoilers hide texts like  on IMDB that could be cool...maybe even add it  in game hehe

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

Michael: spare a thought for the players who are in the redzone (entire southern hemisphere, mexico, parts of EU etc) many of whom have followed SWTOR development like myself since day dot & have been community members as long as there was an official community.

These unfortunate people will have to endure spoilers for months with no idea of when they might even see the game locally.....

For a game supposedly built on story, they gave little thought to the fact that spoilers can ruin it for the untapped audeince......

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

I don't usually don't care about spoilers much unless it is a drastic change of direction of the story.

A video game story is about experiencing the moment, not just knowing it happens. It's like reading the newspaper, you know it happened, but you can't really experience it unless you were there.

So yeah , spoiler is a bitch, but I'm not going to turn everything off just so I don't get spoilers, it won't ruin a game for me

Take it easy people, it isn't the end of the world. oh wait...2012 here we come :D

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• tunaman44tunaman44 Member Posts: 14

You cant turn of general chat.

Does not bother me anyway im just playing to get to max level asap and start ganking other people trying to enjoy the story, I CANT WAIT!

• esos24esos24 Member Posts: 34

no worries, ignoring all :)

• HexipoxHexipox Member UncommonPosts: 241

Or maybe this post just made the attention the spoilers needed to find it even more interesting to start spoiling. If this post intention was to stop spoilers, it might in fact have the opposite effect. Unfortunately.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by beel

usually there are decent articles but this one is stretching a bit

not a significant enough issue to write about..

I completely disagree that it's not a significant issue. To me it's one of the more serious issues that can arise within SWTOR's community especially early on.  It adds a whole new level of griefing IMO.

I can see it now:

Player A: "LFG for X, I'm class Y"

Player B: "Don't bother X dies, Y kills him"

Might seem harmless enough to you, but I'm sorry it's no different than spoiling major plot points in a book or movie. Not many people want stories and major events ruined for them. It takes away the whole point of the experience.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• SkorcherSkorcher Member UncommonPosts: 22

So you're spoiler-free. Here's a spoiler: you will die alone.   ..I kid ...I kid

• ShredderSEShredderSE Member Posts: 197

WE ALL GOING TO DIE!

• PrigoginePrigogine Member Posts: 18

Originally posted by Hexipox

We can all make a guild togeather!

Spoiler and Trolling Free Unit - or just STFU

Ha ha ha ha! That's pretty funny...I'd join if I weren't already in a guild =P

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

There are a lot of games that are Western RPGSs with big branching stories involved.  Yes there are spoilers posted around the internet but that has never bothered me a bit.  I just dont read them.  Unless I need too.  Am I stuck in a spot?  Often the help posted online for that help may refer to the "story" as a landmark.  So its easy to find that help. 

Now most of these games dont have in game chat, so yea that could be a problem but I seriously doubt it.  I really believe this will be a non issue for the most part.  Althought if it does start to happen in an extreme sense, I suppose turning off the general chat is probably the best solution. 

But again I see this as only being a minor problem.  Not something that could possibly destroy all plot surprises in the game.  Other mmropgs have some story as well, although not to this extent maybe, and its not really an issue there either. 

• OhMyGothOhMyGoth Member UncommonPosts: 56

I expect there to be a ton of spoilers after the game goes live, hell there was a lot in the last beta phase, in game and some on the beta forums. The only way to truly avoid them, is to avoid the forums, gaming sites, youtube, general chat in game and even guild chat.

• jarbyjarby Member Posts: 77

i m not afraid of spoilers. Drop me beta key pls )

• QuagliaQuaglia Member Posts: 60

Spoilers are a problem only if you care for every single bit of information and not for the whole story.

It does not matter if I know that Snape killed Dumbledore (oh wait...) but how it happened, and why etc etc.

I really care for the story, so single spoilers don't affect me.

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

Worrying about spoilers is, to me, like worrying about ganking.

Once you protest, you become a target.

So while it's fine to say it here, I wouldn't try saying anything in game - because it'll lead to being sinlged out. And that btw is no comment on anything other than the general MMO player mindset, some of whom are bound to be in-game at launch.

I think spoilers are a concern, but maybe not so much as you'd think. I know a guy who intends to powerlevel by skipping all conversations - he says the story is for his alts. I wouldn't worry about spoilers from someone like him, because he won't be paying attention to the story in the first place.

As the world arc stories are pretty much the same for everyone (I assume), you only really have to worry about your personal story being spoiled, and even then, who knows what all the branching options mean for how things pan out?

What would annoy me more than that would be people yakking in vent while I was trying to listen to the quest-givers. Vent is not something I intend to use at all in this game, except for at end-game, should there be a need for it (I'm presuming there will be for Operations). Someone mentioned "quiet rooms" earlier, but to me it makes more sense just not to be on than to be sitting in a quiet room (kinda defeats the purpose).

I dunno, somehow I think everything'll work out. As others have said, knowing x happens is not the same as being there for x as it happens.

• SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003

I won't exactly turn chat off, but I'll put it on the NPC/System channel, or whatever the heck it's called.    So in case I miss some of the conversation from cutscenes, it'll still be there.

TBH, though, it's a shame that the internet community forces this.   And really, it's just a handful of dicks who cause these probelms.   I would honestly pay double the monthly fee if it meant strict enforcers on the chat channels, preventing stuff like this (and other things).

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

it is mmorpg ,I dont care about spoilers

• Shadows59Shadows59 Member Posts: 47

I don't usually ay much attention to general chat anyway. Too many idiots in most mmo's with the chick norris/mom/etc crap so I generally ignore general chat and /ignore  as many of the idiots as possible. But in general I think that the story really depends on the choices I make and in what combination I chose, not the combination that someone else chooses.  Think about it, there are enough possible combinations that in reality once you are past level ten you wouldn't play the exact same story if you played the same class over and over unless you make the exact same choices each time.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Originally posted by SwampRob

I won't exactly turn chat off, but I'll put it on the NPC/System channel, or whatever the heck it's called.    So in case I miss some of the conversation from cutscenes, it'll still be there.

TBH, though, it's a shame that the internet community forces this.   And really, it's just a handful of dicks who cause these probelms.   I would honestly pay double the monthly fee if it meant strict enforcers on the chat channels, preventing stuff like this (and other things).

It is cheaper to just /leave General chat.

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883

Im sure there are people that just want to discuss the stories and other parts of the game and they aren't trying to spoil things for anyone, i think its kinda bad to basically say they can't talk here on these forums which is how i take the whole banhammer comment which is sad.

perhaps make seperate sections in the forum one for those that don't care about spoilers and just want to discuss the game and another that doesn't allow spoilers or whatever else you don't want people discussing.

you can put a big warning "enter at your own risk, spoilers alert blah blah blah" on the forum.

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas