Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's been months...still not sure about this computer build...

Comments

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

You  are a headake .. a salesman headake.. should I? but if i wait..amd if i do that..or that..and waht if this ..or that..are you sure..why are you sure..maybe i should wait..maybe I should go check other stores..maybe ..maybe..maybe..

Just buy a freaking new pc and be done whit it. youre type will never be fully ready ,you will always have doubts , so either stay whit your current machine,or buy a new one and dont think about it , things will always chance, things will always get other prizes.  just get the money you saved, go to a favorite store and get the best you can get for that money whitout doubting to much.  how long will you stay in doubt, most people like you find that when they finaly are ready to buy the parts are not even in store anymore :)  .. whatever you get, it cant be worse then what you have now, it will never be a perfect buy , go help the economy and get it! go go go

• ShadowMajereShadowMajere Member UncommonPosts: 20

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1375742&Sku=B69-0455

Good Deal on a kit. It's AMD based Could use a better PSU tho I don't remember the brand of my PSU cause I just bought the cheapest 650 I could find when mine died.

My Rig:

Manufacturer:

Built By me :)

Processor:

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.8GHz

Memory:

SUPER TALENT 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Hard Drive:

1.2 TB

Video Card:

EVGA Nvidia GTX 550Ti 2Gig

Monitor:

SCEPTRE 24" 1080P SD X24WG NAGA

Sound Card:

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional

Speakers/Headphones:

Logitech Z-5500

Keyboard:

Logitech G-15

Mouse:

Logitech G-9

Mouse Surface:

Teflon Work Station

Operating System:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7000) (7000.winmain_win7beta.081212-1400)

Motherboard:

ASUS P5Q3 LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

Computer Case:

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Just Can't remember who makes my PSU and to lazy to go under my desk and open the bitch up to check. But this PC has ran everything without a problem. Tho it's a little outdated not an i7 or a Phenom II x6 Black Editon. But either upgrade of the cpu would force me to change the Board... and possibly the GPU if I went AMD

• CatamountCatamount Member Posts: 773

OP, one thing to consider is that the hard drive seems to be VERY important to Battlefield 3.

The browser-based launcher effectively means the entire game needs to launch every time you want to join another server. It's slow, slow, slow, slow, slow. It'll also matter in MMOs, as a previous poster mentioned, but BF 3 is the biggest game for this thus far.

I literally get into many matches a couple of MINUTES faster than the two people I most play with, because of my SSD. I take about 30 seconds to load, and they take 2-3 minutes.

• reb007reb007 Member UncommonPosts: 613

Here's a good tool for comparing hardware: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/2

It compares the benchmark results from most common hardware for CPUs, GPUs, and more.

• Originally posted by Eladi

You  are a headake .. a salesman headake.. should I? but if i wait..amd if i do that..or that..and waht if this ..or that..are you sure..why are you sure..maybe i should wait..maybe I should go check other stores..maybe ..maybe..maybe..

Just buy a freaking new pc and be done whit it. youre type will never be fully ready ,you will always have doubts , so either stay whit your current machine,or buy a new one and dont think about it , things will always chance, things will always get other prizes.  just get the money you saved, go to a favorite store and get the best you can get for that money whitout doubting to much.  how long will you stay in doubt, most people like you find that when they finaly are ready to buy the parts are not even in store anymore :)  .. whatever you get, it cant be worse then what you have now, it will never be a perfect buy , go help the economy and get it! go go go

This was a joy to read, made me giggle a lot :P

Yes, I do know that I am a perfectionist when it comes to being a consumer. I am the type of person that does not like to waste or buy expensive products unless I am 100% sure of them. I hate just blowing money since it takes me awhile to obtain. I am more of the salesman...not the buyer lol

• Another question that I have been wondering but have not seen a specific answer to just yet, is how long does a motherboard usually last? My last mobo lasted only about 3-4 years and now only 1 out of 4 of the RAM slots work :/

How can I tell a good one from a bad one? The one I'm looking at now is this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131770

• maxy1214maxy1214 Member UncommonPosts: 44

Theres always a risk in buying electronics parts. Some are just glitchy and some are well made. It depeneds on the brand. If you got a trusted brand on your motherboard, no need to worry if these mobo will die on you cause these companies generally have a warranty on parts thats good for 1-2 years. 

After the warranty and parts gets outdated it would be wise again to upgrade. Yeah its a really fast evolving tech.

So dont buy those very expensive parts unless you are an enthusiast or do it for your work, If you game, invest on your GPU. Most games work with 2 cores only.

They will keep telling you to buy those high end procie, with uber RAM memory but you wont need it, buy less expensive parts and  upgrade after 3-4 years.

• I am highly considering just keeping the case that I currently have...cleaning it out and just 'making it work'. It has enough cooling, but just needs a really good cleaning. That would save me $50. Then since I already have fans on this one...cutting the led blue fans out of the mix saving me an additional $15. Next, thinking about instead of the 2500k, just settling with a decent AM3+ mobo with the 965, and in about 2-3 years updgrading if need be. Benchmarks suggest that I honestly will not notice a difference in gaming at all right now between the two and when it comes time that I do then i will simply upgrade to bulldozer or whatever is out at the time. It may technically lose me money in the long run, but I will have to money to upgrade more easily at that time then I would be able to pay for the i5 right now. Do that, keep the gtx 260, get 8gb of some good 1600Mhz ram, buy a 60gb sata III ssd for the OS and a few games and call it a day..

• CatamountCatamount Member Posts: 773

That sounds like a solid idea, Nunez.

I'd say either get the 965 or the 970. They're both nearly idential in price and performance (just $10 and 100mhz difference). That should set you up just fine.

Then, in 2-3 years, just get a piledriver or steamroller chip (piledriver at worst). And later, maybe next year, get yourself a Radeon HD 7000 series card, or if the timing is right and the cards good, maybe Kepler, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Just make sure BF3 goes on that SSD if that's what you're going to play! That game is ridiculous for load times.

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

Originally posted by Nunez1212
    Yeah..the price on the WD Black just went up to $150 today! Tha's insane...and I just figured out that the HDD that I have is already a western digital 320gb 7200RPM...and I believe it's a blue version. So if that's true...shouldn't I just worry about getting an SSD now? Though before I do that...this new dilemna does present the question, how long does an HDD last before I should worry? It seems like a quality hard drive, but I have been using it for about 4 years now.
    Still debating whether I should get the i5 2500k or x4 or not...most of me thinks the i5 would be the better choice, but the money  saving in me says to go for the x4 so that the SSD is closer in reach.

A hard drive will last on average 5 years under normal use. But the spread is anywhere from 0-10 years and could even last well beyond that.

I should also add that larger hard drives have higher data density on the platter, which means more sectors pass under the head per rotation, which means faster data throughput. However data density can only go so high on a platter so hard drives also have multiple platters, which helps performance as well by having multiple platters to read from at once. So there are several basic factors that go into a hard drives speed:

Rotational speed of the platter (7200 RPM)
    Number of platters (probably 2 platters in your drive)
    Data Density (probably 160GB per platter in yours)

So a higher number of platters is good for performance, but so is a higher data density on those platters. That is why a modern 1TB hard drive is far far faster than an old 80GB hard drive, even if both are 7200 RPM.

Yes your WD Blue 320GB is gonna be a little slow compared to a new WD Black 1.5TB. But relative to an SSD those mechanical hard drives might as well be the same because they don't even compare. So I'd stick with the 320GB WD Blue you have and get an SSD (ONLY if you have the money for it, as GPU/CPU are still much more important).

I don't know exactly what you're working with because I didn't read the first few pages of the thread. Usually Quizzical squashes new builds. Personally, I'd go i5 with a GTX 560Ti and stick with the WD Blue if that's what it takes to get there. It would be a shame to get a dual core i3 at this point, and there is just no reason to go AMD at the moment for CPU's - so i5 is the way to go.

GPU wise you really want to push past the mainstream 150-180 bracket before you start looking at an SSD, so 560Ti or 6950 1GB are your options there. I have a 6950 2GB and love it but I'd go nVidia at this point because ATI's next generation is retiring the VLIW4/5 architecture and using a SIMD threaded architecture more similar to nVidia's. Which means games will probably start being better optimized for the type of multi-threaded rendering of that architecture and less optimized for the older VLIW architecture.

• Originally posted by Catamount

That sounds like a solid idea, Nunez.

I'd say either get the 965 or the 970. They're both nearly idential in price and performance (just $10 and 100mhz difference). That should set you up just fine.

Then, in 2-3 years, just get a piledriver or steamroller chip (piledriver at worst). And later, maybe next year, get yourself a Radeon HD 7000 series card, or if the timing is right and the cards good, maybe Kepler, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Just make sure BF3 goes on that SSD if that's what you're going to play! That game is ridiculous for load times.

Yeah, the only thing that I think I may be dissapointed in with BF3 is my GPU. Everything I have seen on it running with the 260 is not so great :/ Though in my opinion it seems like the best choice for me.

• To NoQuarter:

I don't think it would be worth it upgrade past my current gtx 260 core 216 since the performance gains would not be huge and much better cards should be out moderately soon. On the topic of CPU, the benchmarks that I have seen do not seem to warrant the i5 2500k for me since by the time the x4 is outdated in performance I should have a much better economical position for putting money into a pc, though right now I'm looking to save money if possible. I am planning on getting a smaller 64gb Sata III SSD to put the OS and a few main games on to optimize performance, but other then that I believe the performance/price should be adaquate for now and will not be a waste of my money. If you really think about it...money is relative. To me, $500 is a lot of money, but to perhaps a millionaire it is quite small. So by formulating what the best build would be by using finances that span for years and years seems quite pointless when in that much time my ecnomonical stance could be quite different, and since things point to them being much better in the future then situationally I would be saving more money if I just got the cheaper version now and the more expensive pieces later. 

• bepolitebepolite Member Posts: 53

wanna play safe ...wait till march april ...get an on ivybridge cpu (supports pci3.0)system

youll  be on the safe side for future gaphics cards for quite a long time

Remind you to get a case  that supports extra long GPUs  ....34 to 35 cm l full tower is the best option

but a wisely  utilised corsair 600t  cn be as good as any full tover

Fuck CPU overclocking for games  ....muscle lies  in your GPU(s) (yet still get an aftermarket heatsink)

• RobgmurRobgmur Member Posts: 322

To NoQuarter:

I don't think it would be worth it upgrade past my current gtx 260 core 216 since the performance gains would not be huge and much better cards should be out moderately soon. On the topic of CPU, the benchmarks that I have seen do not seem to warrant the i5 2500k for me since by the time the x4 is outdated in performance I should have a much better economical position for putting money into a pc, though right now I'm looking to save money if possible. I am planning on getting a smaller 64gb Sata III SSD to put the OS and a few main games on to optimize performance, but other then that I believe the performance/price should be adaquate for now and will not be a waste of my money. If you really think about it...money is relative. To me, $500 is a lot of money, but to perhaps a millionaire it is quite small. So by formulating what the best build would be by using finances that span for years and years seems quite pointless when in that much time my ecnomonical stance could be quite different, and since things point to them being much better in the future then situationally I would be saving more money if I just got the cheaper version now and the more expensive pieces later. 

Okay for the love of all that is good just get the 2500k and a small SSD and keep your 320gbHDD for now. Don't let them rope you into thinking  the AMD cpu is a good choice, it is weak and out dated. Why spend 120$ now and another 120-150$ a year or two from now and still (for GAMING) having an equivalent CPU as the 2500k that you could just get now and be done. The other posters are throwing too many options and variants at you. Just get the recommended by the book build for performance. the 2500k and a SSD now and a new GPU a few months from now when the new lines arrive. You get what you pay for.. so don't go for the cheapest ways out (especially if you're a perfectionist). There is a line for performance hardware in gaming (Low budget / Low performace-----------High budget / Extreme performance), people will obviously argue this because I guess they get offended when a person spends 2000$$ + on a build. Don't try hoping to different sides if your budget is 700$$ or so, just stay center and game.

*Corsair Obsidian Series 650D *i5-2500K OC'd ~ 4.5
    *Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 mother board
    * Radeon HD 7970
    *8GB (4GBx2) 1600MHz Kingston HyperX
    *240GB Corsair Force GT Series SATA-III SSD

• czekoskwigelczekoskwigel Member Posts: 458

Originally posted by bepolite

wanna play safe ...wait till march april ...get an on ivybridge cpu (supports pci3.0)system

Remind you to get a case  that supports extra long GPUs  ....34 to 35 cm l full tower is the best option

Fuck CPU overclocking for games  ....muscle lies  in your GPU(s) (yet still get an aftermarket heatsink)

You probably won't have to wait quite that long, but right now I'd definitely wait for ivybridge....  that's as future-proof as you can get right now.

Originally posted by bepolite

More " wait" ....oh brother.  The Point of the 2500k is that you don't have to OC it.. it is strong regardless.. but a few years from now if you must beef up, you can crank it up to over 4.2 like cake for stronger loads.  (That's what she said) ziinngg.

* Radeon HD 7970

To NoQuarter:

Okay just to confirm.. a gtx 260 is literally half as strong as a gtx 560 TI when it isn't over clocked at that. So yes the gain would be extreme, but like we all have said.. get the better CPu and maybe a SSD now and let the 260 hold you over for a few more months . keep in mind the model of gtx260 you currently have is the most powerful in it's line, so it will play Skyrim medium-high and more than likely it will play BF3 at medium. That's GOOD enough to hold  you over until the new ones arrive in 2 months or so..

* Radeon HD 7970

• Originally posted by Robgmur

Okay just to confirm.. a gtx 260 is literally half as strong as a gtx 560 TI when it isn't over clocked at that. So yes the gain would be extreme, but like we all have said.. get the better CPu and maybe a SSD now and let the 260 hold you over for a few more months . keep in mind the model of gtx260 you currently have is the most powerful in it's line, so it will play Skyrim medium-high and more than likely it will play BF3 at medium. That's GOOD enough to hold  you over until the new ones arrive in 2 months or so..

Ok just to comfirm. I am 100% sure the gtx 260 that I have will allow me to play Skyrim on High settings easliy considering the recommended requirements are a base gtx 260 and has been confirmed to run Skyrim on High Settings. Though I did have no idea that it was 1/2 as strong as the 560 ti because many people told me it was pretty darn close the 6870 and that the 6870 was not far at all from the 560ti..

Originally posted by Robgmur

Ok just to comfirm. I am 100% sure the gtx 260 that I have will allow me to play Skyrim on High settings easliy considering the recommended requirements are a base gtx 260 and has been confirmed to run Skyrim on High Settings. Though I did have no idea that it was 1/2 as strong as the 560 ti because many people told me it was pretty darn close the 6870 and that the 6870 was not far at all from the 560ti..

IDK where they get their info from. You can simply look it up on Guru or Toms. a 560 TI is even better than 260s in SLI. So yes it is considerable better and has dx11. It doesn't even matter how much people try an argue that it is almost as good because they would be telling you a bald face lie. Doesn't compare to the 560 TI in any test I have seen, not even remotely close.

* Radeon HD 7970

• Hmm well I'm not trying to call you or anyone on here a liar, but maybe they were just ill informed and like many people spreading information unresearched. Here is a question to you since you have seemed to research your information. The PSU that I have been contemplating getting: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151094  I have been told it is "golden" and should last me a very very long time. Few questions. How much is "very very long"? Will this be sufficient enough for the higher cards that are being released soon? I just hate to spend $70 on it and then next year have to buy another one because this one is weak...

But like we all were saying, AMD followed by NVIDIA will more than likely launch cards soon that are roughly the same price as the 560 ti or 6950 2gb but could possibly draw way less power and are more stable with a slight jump in performance. So it would be worth waiting for those  while the 260 you have holds you over.

* Radeon HD 7970

• czekoskwigelczekoskwigel Member Posts: 458

Hmm well I'm not trying to call you or anyone on here a liar, but maybe they were just ill informed and like many people spreading information unresearched. Here is a question to you since you have seemed to research your information. The PSU that I have been contemplating getting: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151094  I have been told it is "golden" and should last me a very very long time. Few questions. How much is "very very long"? Will this be sufficient enough for the higher cards that are being released soon? I just hate to spend $70 on it and then next year have to buy another one because this one is weak...

I wouldn't buy anything less than 700 watts.

• Originally posted by czekoskwigel

Hmm well I'm not trying to call you or anyone on here a liar, but maybe they were just ill informed and like many people spreading information unresearched. Here is a question to you since you have seemed to research your information. The PSU that I have been contemplating getting: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151094  I have been told it is "golden" and should last me a very very long time. Few questions. How much is "very very long"? Will this be sufficient enough for the higher cards that are being released soon? I just hate to spend $70 on it and then next year have to buy another one because this one is weak...

I wouldn't buy anything less than 700 watts.

I would have thought the same thing before Quizzical recommended this exact psu to someone else here a few days ago for a build that was about $1000 and was hosting an i5 2500k and a 6870. I have also heard many people state that the wattage is not nearly as important as the AMP rating and this one has a 20A rating for 12V which is supposedly very good.

It would appear at least AMD is shooting towards their newer cards being very power friendly, so I would 100% garuntee that that one you have there would support any of the medium to somewhat higher end cards 9it even has a 5yr warrenty).  But if you were ever wanting to SLI or CF or hell even run a single extreme card i.e gtx 580- 6990/590 equivilant, it would  not be enough for the draw. Now we don't know what the exact power draw will be for the new lines arriving soon, but from what I understand they will be utilizing a considerably lower power draw. In all honesty maybe grabbing a good 750w would be wise.

* Radeon HD 7970

• Originally posted by Robgmur

But like we all were saying, AMD followed by NVIDIA will more than likely launch cards soon that are roughly the same price as the 560 ti or 6950 2gb but could possibly draw way less power and are more stable with a slight jump in performance. So it would be worth waiting for those  while the 260 you have holds you over.

I am also a bit confused on which cards we are all talking about. Many people say different names and I don't know which is which. From what I understand, southern islands is supposed to come out soon, and Kepler is totally different and will be out much later? When is the southern islands supposed to be releasing exactly?