Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria Reactions

Comments

• headphonesheadphones Member Posts: 611

Originally posted by Corehaven

Originally posted by headphones

may i ask which side of the wow argument you're both on? i need a reminder, because i seem to have forgotten who to cheer for. in the meantime, i'll cheer for me.

yay.

Thats the best side to be on.   : P  Lmao 

Uhhh....I think he's on the side that says WoW has always been as ridiculous, and thus adding Pandarians is nothing thats not out of the ordinary. 

Im on the side that thinks its amazingly stupid, even for WoW. 

ah. difficult call, then. you're both right on that one.

i have to say, i loved wow's sense of humour. i really did. for me, the greatest moment of the game was when i started on a quest chain ripped off from dune. killing sandworms for chani's crysknife or something. i always wished that knife had better stats for my rogue. that's always been the problem with wow. you really want to use something, but you can't because it's too mathematical.

however, the humour IS one of the things which breaks the monotony of the grind.

having said that, i don't think it needs to be the main focus of a major expansion. i don't think there would have been as much rage if, say, the pandaren were an npc race you maybe got to do a few quests as. no one would have complained at the joke. i think it's because it's a player race that it's got this level of hate. it really doesn't fit as a major piece of the puzzle. as a sideshow, it fits with wow. some might complain about goblins, but i kinda thought they suited horde better than most. and i didn't hate belfs. 

but pandas? makes as much sense as anything, i guess, but where the other player races were more or less designed to fit and woven neatly into the "lore" of the game, the pandas do seem tacked on as a joke. so i feel some players might feel they're being cynically pandered (sorry, couldn't help it) to.

i feel sorry for blizz. this was the kind of idea that came up over some beers and in the morning someone was too enthusiastic for it and no one else had the heart to tell him it was a stupid idea.

• Teh_AxiTeh_Axi Member UncommonPosts: 380

Man who knew that Pandas would be such a gold mine of rage.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

People can defend the direction that Blizzy is taking WoW until they're blue in the face. But, nothing can change the fact that this mmo is going down an obvious path of Easternization. If you can't see this you're either beyond naive or deep in denial.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• grawssgrawss Member Posts: 419

Originally posted by Cecropia

People can defend the direction that Blizzy is taking WoW until they're blue in the face. But, nothing can change the fact that this mmo is going down an obvious path of Easternization. If you can't see this you're either beyond naive or deep in denial.

Who is defending Blizzard? Who is arguing the "facts" you've given? O_o

Sarcasm is not a crime!

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

I should make it clear that the reason I deleted the game from my computer wasn't really the panda thing.  It was the fact that Blizzard is pinching ideas off of GW2, which isn't even out yet, and the whole eastern theme.  I don't like games with content like that, it doesn't interest me.  Same with GW: Factions.  It was boring because I wasn't raised with that type of mythos surrounding me.  It'd be like stepping onto an alien world.  At first it's like... cool, this is different... then you realize they don't have tacos.  Just noodles.  No thanks, I'm not hungry.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

If that is indeed what they are doing, what's wrong with it? What, exactly, is the issue with appealing to your largest audience?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• AbdarAbdar Member UncommonPosts: 400

""The focus of the show was entirely on the new race and the new class (both of which are surprisingly fun and gorgeous looking, by the way).""

Did you line up and play them? Myself and a buddy were through the WoW Blizzcon line in 5 mins (where D3 was hours long) and left the game before we needed to. Not sure what you could have thought was fun with only a couple skills at your disposal, which didn't work 100%, while rolling around mob to mob as a big fluffy ball.

They need to, without question, make them look much less like the stuffed versions you might see on a little kids bed.

Total downer of Blizzcon 2011, thankfully SC2 and D3 picked up the slack.

• KyBoKyBo Member UncommonPosts: 140

Once again I'm given proof that I have next to nothing in common with people who play WoW.  That isn't meant as an attack, I'm simply stating that everything people like about WoW, I usually think is terrible in terms of gaming, and everything most of them seem to hate, like the Mists of Pandaria, I think sound interesting.   If you already have elves, dwarves, and bipedal bulls as playable races, then why the hell would it bother people to have pandas? 

I think, given what's already in the game, that playing a big, badass samurai panda not only sounds fun, but also fits into the game perfectly.  I just don't understand how players who run around as dwarves with giant-ass hammers are suddenly appalled at the idea of there being kung-fu pandas in the game.  One is not any more or less silly or childish than the other when you really think about it. 

If you're already playing WoW, and have been for some time, I don't really feel that MoP is going to be the deal-breaker when there have been bigger changes to the entire game and its mechanics that have been made, and those weren't enough to cause you to leave and never return.  While some players apparently have a serious hatred of cute, furry creatures, it's my opinion that overall, the WoW community is making a mountain out of a panda hill.  

• Drekker17Drekker17 Member Posts: 296

I don't see how asian themed expansion=they are headed to Easternization, maybe I'm naive, but it sounds more like you are narrow-minded. However, you know what...I think it is great, because after reading what the western audience supposedly doesn't like, apparently everything not European Medieval fantasy, I wish more Western Devs would Easternize their games.

"Great minds talk about ideas, average minds talk about events, and small minds talk about people." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Americans used to roar like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security." -Norman Vincent Peale

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by Drekker17

I don't see how asian themed expansion=they are headed to Easternization, maybe I'm naive, but it sounds more like you are narrow-minded. However, you know what...I think it is great, because after reading what the western audience supposedly doesn't like, apparently everything not European Medieval fantasy, I wish more Western Devs would Easternize their games.

No I am not defending anyone in this thread because my take on this whole thing is I like it it but I do beg to question why you think some one is narrow minded just because they dont like something?  An example I like to use for this analogy is this:  I dislike American beer greatly ( Bud,Miller,Coors) To me it all tastes like piss water.  However I greatly love drinking micro brews and imported German beer, by your defintion I am closed minded to American beer but the reality is I dislike something and it doesnt mean I am narrow minded, it just means I have my own tastes.

The same is with MMO's, I greatly dislike Asian themed MMO's for a varity of reasons, but the 3 main things is the grind, Bikini armor and the combat animations that are too flashy and swooshy (looks like a game of street fighter and not an MMO)  Nothing could ever change my mind about this and I dont think we'll ever see an Asian MMO designed with the Western Market in mind first.  Now with that being said I dont think MoP looks eastern at at all, it still has all the tell tell signs of a western game.

European Medival Fantasy is how I got into the whole gaming genre way back in Dungeons and Dragons in the early 1980's, so yes I am impartial to that flavor of fantasy  (alternatly known as High Fantasy), I dont do Sci-Fi, I dont do Asian, the only games I play are reminescent of a good old fashion European medival story and there is absolutely, possitively nothing wrong with someone likeing something over another.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• Rusty715Rusty715 Member Posts: 482

Originally posted by KyBo

Once again I'm given proof that I have next to nothing in common with people who play WoW.  That isn't meant as an attack, I'm simply stating that everything people like about WoW, I usually think is terrible in terms of gaming, and everything most of them seem to hate, like the Mists of Pandaria, I think sound interesting.   If you already have elves, dwarves, and bipedal bulls as playable races, then why the hell would it bother people to have pandas? 

I think, given what's already in the game, that playing a big, badass samurai panda not only sounds fun, but also fits into the game perfectly.  I just don't understand how players who run around as dwarves with giant-ass hammers are suddenly appalled at the idea of there being kung-fu pandas in the game.  One is not any more or less silly or childish than the other when you really think about it. 

If you're already playing WoW, and have been for some time, I don't really feel that MoP is going to be the deal-breaker when there have been bigger changes to the entire game and its mechanics that have been made, and those weren't enough to cause you to leave and never return.  While some players apparently have a serious hatred of cute, furry creatures, it's my opinion that overall, the WoW community is making a mountain out of a panda hill.  

Meh. Most of the people on this site complaining about MOP dont even play WOW. And those that do and say they they are quiting will, in the end, buy the xpac and play.  The "discussions"  are the same with each  xpac Blizz announces.

Really? This game sucks and Im not having fun? Im going to unsub right now. Thanks for the tip.

• Drekker17Drekker17 Member Posts: 296

Originally posted by Zylaxx

Originally posted by Drekker17

No I am not defending anyone in this thread because my take on this whole thing is I like it it but I do beg to question why you think some one is narrow minded just because they dont like something?  An example I like to use for this analogy is this:  I dislike American beer greatly ( Bud,Miller,Coors) To me it all tastes like piss water.  However I greatly love drinking micro brews and imported German beer, by your defintion I am closed minded to American beer but the reality is I dislike something and it doesnt mean I am narrow minded, it just means I have my own tastes.

The same is with MMO's, I greatly dislike Asian themed MMO's for a varity of reasons, but the 3 main things is the grind, Bikini armor and the combat animations that are too flashy and swooshy (looks like a game of street fighter and not an MMO)  Nothing could ever change my mind about this and I dont think we'll ever see an Asian MMO designed with the Western Market in mind first.  Now with that being said I dont think MoP looks eastern at at all, it still has all the tell tell signs of a western game.

European Medival Fantasy is how I got into the whole gaming genre way back in Dungeons and Dragons in the early 1980's, so yes I am impartial to that flavor of fantasy  (alternatly known as High Fantasy), I dont do Sci-Fi, I dont do Asian, the only games I play are reminescent of a good old fashion European medival story and there is absolutely, possitively nothing wrong with someone likeing something over another.

I was saying he was narrow-minded for assuming having Asian landscapes and Pandas= easternization of WoW, there are plenty of Western MMOs with asian themes coming in to play. Wow had done nothing mechanically to change Wow into a eastern MMO, no increased grind, 90% of wows armor is not bikini armor and most of the 10% is outdated BC armor, combat aren't very flahsy and swooshy, even when I looked at some monk animations they weren't that flashy for typical asian fighting. Judging by lack of Azshara and Sargaras in this expansion (very western based themes), the likeliness WoW continuing making Asian theme expansions is very unlikely.

He also is narrow-minded for thinking anyone that disagree's with him is naive or in denial.

I never once said there was something wrong with liking European Medieval story, just as there is nothing wrong with me wanting less of it. However I think it is wrong to assume Western market even as a majority doesn't like a little Asian addition, which Cecropia (not in above post) and others have said why Western audience wouldn't like Mist of Pandaria.

"Great minds talk about ideas, average minds talk about events, and small minds talk about people." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Americans used to roar like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security." -Norman Vincent Peale

• sarahc73sarahc73 Member Posts: 2

Adios Blizzard.  Hello Bioware.   This expansion will be a colossal failure.   Sorry to say it.

• ClerigoClerigo Member UncommonPosts: 400

Theres nothing strange about this move by Blizz. I do think previous expansions proved that Blizz marketing department is full of professionals that know what they are doing. For Blizzard, WoW is, ever since TBC expansion came out, a way to make money, and why not? Why should this company be any different from anyother trying to make profit?

Following the sistematic dumb down of this game, the easy cake going around, wolfs, green midgets and now the cute pandas, everything is being made to atract more player base. What? Do you really think they would let WoW fall into the ranks of those games where you quit in the first couple of days because its too hard to play it and no cute toons to pick?

There are 2 types of gamers that dont stick to WoW when they start to play it: the ones playing mmos with the pretty lights and scnearios and when these guys log to WoW they are "wtf?? this is horrible" and delete the game, and vet players that know what they want in an mmo, they know that they cant find it anymore in WoW, and they part to another cruise control trip to other mmos trying to find that one mmo that can still keep them busy and entertained.

I played WoW for 4 years, and im the one to say that its still the best gaming experience i ever had, but that experience is not available to newcomers now. Everything now is "click-to-join", no world exploration, complete areas deserted, complete cities deserted, no questing for the game lore anymore, ppl just Q for dungeons and pvp, everything feels dead or static. Wheres the coop party for questing, exploring the world, the path you had to make to get into the entrance of a dungeon, the epic questing arcs...sigh..getting tired.

Well good luck to everyone paying for the panda. Could be fun, dont know.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by lizardbones

If that is indeed what they are doing, what's wrong with it? What, exactly, is the issue with appealing to your largest audience?

It's a problem when doing so alienates large portions of your existing customerbase.

It's Blizzard's IP and game, and they can do whatever they want with it. But that doesn't mean that people have to put up with said changes. They're free to dislike and voice their opinion of the changes just as much as Blizzard can do whatever they want with the game. They're also free to stop playing the game, which a steadily growing number of players in the west are choosing to do.

• ZenjinxZenjinx Member Posts: 328

Originally posted by Ceridith

It's a problem when doing so alienates large portions of your existing customerbase.

How exactly are they alienating a large proportion? I don't see it. I see some very vocal people who are displeased, and repeating themselves over and over, but I do not see your point here.

Some like it, some dislike it. Only time will tell if it is a downfall or not.

I will assume though, that they continue to be profitable. This alone makes these anti-panda arguments futile to say the least.

Originally posted by Zenjinx

Originally posted by Ceridith

How exactly are they alienating a large proportion? I don't see it. I see some very vocal people who are displeased, and repeating themselves over and over, but I do not see your point here.
    Some like it, some dislike it. Only time will tell if it is a downfall or not.
    I will assume though, that they continue to be profitable. This alone makes these anti-panda arguments futile to say the least.

This is kind of what I'm thinking. How do you tell the difference between 'Large' and 'Loud' on forums?

Anyway, they've only just now started releasing information. There will be more. More raids, more PvP features, and (hopefully) a real money auction house. They could be angling to replace all the people who constantly hate on the game with people that just want to play a game.

• DeViLzzz2007DeViLzzz2007 Member Posts: 107

I don't care about the pandas.  What I care about is me giving money to a company that just wants to continue to let its player base dictate how much a player plays per week making for a very unhealthy experience especially for those who also do end game.  Blizzard since you won't fix this I am done with the game.  You are the leader in mmorpgs and clearly have no interest in not letting the nuts run the nuthouse so well I will take my money elsewhere.  Blizzard you have an opportunity to change mmorpgs into a healthy experience without ruining the fun and difficulty of the game/content and you have done very little.  Sorry but a 2 week optional raid lockout isn't what I call really helpful in terms of making mmorpgs better health wise.

Money is the root of all evil.

Originally posted by Robokapp

isn't that anual pass though a hint that the developers themselves are not exactly certain that the reception will be positive though?

I take it as pure marketing in the face of new games being released which will have wide appeal. I do not take it as some kind of insecurity on Blizzards' behalf. In fact, I would say the 12 month + D3 free is a direct assault on the other game companies. A "how ya like me now" approach. This is just opinion though.

This is kind of what I'm thinking. How do you tell the difference between 'Large' and 'Loud' on forums?

you don't. you speculate and wait for Q4 numbers.

isn't that anual pass though a hint that the developers themselves are not exactly certain that the reception will be positive though?

I would expect that the only people who would really consider a year pass would be people who expect to be playing for a year anyway. I would be surprised if Blizzard didn't expect this too. It seems more likely that the result will be WoW+Diablo Players or WoW Only Players in Diablo III, not Diablo III players in WoW. I don't see the Diablo players I know forking out $180.00 to play Diablo III when they can play it for $60.

The only thing I can say for sure, with 100% certainly on this is that Blizzard thinks they can make more money by offering a year of WoW and giving Diablo III away for free than they can by doing both separately.

Originally posted by Zenjinx

I take it as pure marketing in the face of new games being released which will have wide appeal. I do not take it as some kind of insecurity on Blizzards' behalf. In fact, I would say the 12 month + D3 free is a direct assault on the other game companies. A "how ya like me now" approach. This is just opinion though.

well if it is or isnt "PURELY" jsut that is the issue.

and we dont know. it's entirely up for interpretation. I don't share your take on it but typing out why would be pointless since I know I cant convince somone differently. I simply dont have any evidence.

I know that you don't share my take on it. That is why I offered my opinion. Read my last sentence. You really didn't need to reply. It wasn't a debate, just a counter-opinion.

• kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455

I took annual pass. By purchasing that I will not play SW: TOR till next year or any other game with the sub. (I have LOTRO and will have GW2 if I get bored with WoW)

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794

Originally posted by gobla

I'm just highly amused by most of the reactions.

Can't help but snicker at those believing that playing a half-naked barbarian chick in a chain bikini or a big manly marine with a big manly gun shooting big manly bullets is for some reason more adult and mature then playing a panda.

If you want adult and mature go read literature, become politically active or do volunteer work.

If you want to just have fun come back to play some games and stop whining about the pandas. Because, beyond a very, very, very small selection of games, none of them MMOs, there isn't anything adult or mature going on here; It's 'merely' a lot of fun.

THIS!  To many people  miss the point of what  games are suppose to be about. Fun,enjoyment,and relaxation . and your so right about the adult/mature thing lol...

Originally posted by kostoslav

I took annual pass. By purchasing that I will not play SW: TOR till next year or any other game with the sub. (I have LOTRO and will have GW2 if I get bored with WoW)

There is a good chance that nearly all WoW players will try SW:ToR, GW2, TSW or one of the other half dozen or so mmorpg coming out in 2012. Offering people a bribe for a year's commitment makes perfect sense. There is very little you can do to combat the qualities of 'New Game' and 'Not A Piece Of Cr@p'. A direct bribe (Diablo III) makes sense, especially when that bribe brings players into a Blizzard property.

So yeah, they are worried about the response to MoP, but not because of the quality of the expansion (it's almost irrelevant) but because of the environment MoP is being released into. WoW suddenly has competition and it's already improving things for the consumer (more stuff for less money).

• ElivoElivo Member UncommonPosts: 71

Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by precious328

They can say whatever they want. The fact of the matter is this: the Panda has been bringing in TONS of complains, e.g., sassy, kiddy-like, april-fools lore, etc. It was a bad move, IMO. They could've done so much more - something unique.

Where are these complaints? They aren't on Blizzards forums. Maybe the complaints are on sites like this, where everyone hates WoW anyway...but from Blizzard's perspective, their paying customers have been asking for pandas for years. They brought it up as a joke and the people who give them money loved it and then begged Blizzard for it.

There have been tons of complaint posts about MOP, but they seem to mysteriously keep going away?!

I have seen and taken part in at least a dozen or more threads, started by different people (or different toons anyway) and they have all been removed from the forums.

Blizz seems to want to keep the people that are vocal about MOP being a huge mistake out of the forums.