Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscription price is too expensive

I totally enjoy Istaria as a game. It has a certain appeal to me, despite its dated graphs and limited development.There were numerous times when i wanted to sub to this game but i always stopped at the price. I cannot accept  the $14.95(with plot-without a plot the game is useless)  pricing for an old,indie,low populated game. At best the normal(with plot) pricing would be ok at 7,90-9,90$. Just my opinion...

Comments

• TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999

Thats strange I thought it was cheaper than that these days, are you sure you actually checked via the official site? Also, you can play for free if you play human (or any race, I managed to get dragon, not sure if it was bugged) but only 1 character and you can't have a place of your own if you play for free, everything else is available though and if ya lucky someone might offer to share their home with you.

imageimage

• LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 543

Yes, there are different payment plans (including, if I remember, view-ads-to-gain-subscription one). However, only 14.95$ plan entitles you to have a plot/lair. In case you want another plot - you may try their programm to spread information about Istaria (your blog, facebook etc: certain rules does apply).

Is it expensive? I think yes. However,plots are great to advance your character: you may store all your stuff, so this little vault won't bother you; you may advance certain crafting schools while building; you can have fun decorating in a way you think is perfect - and the main thing is, you may help other players letting structures to be of public use. I don't know how many times I wished to thank players who build their plots near 'strategic' locations and letting these plots to be used by everyone.

• pupurunpupurun Member UncommonPosts: 561

Originally posted by Lithuanian

Yes, there are different payment plans (including, if I remember, view-ads-to-gain-subscription one). However, only 14.95$ plan entitles you to have a plot/lair. In case you want another plot - you may try their programm to spread information about Istaria (your blog, facebook etc: certain rules does apply).

Is it expensive? I think yes. However,plots are great to advance your character: you may store all your stuff, so this little vault won't bother you; you may advance certain crafting schools while building; you can have fun decorating in a way you think is perfect - and the main thing is, you may help other players letting structures to be of public use. I don't know how many times I wished to thank players who build their plots near 'strategic' locations and letting these plots to be used by everyone.

By "letting" others use their plots, you mean give them  in-game permission?How does that work? Can you NOT allow that to happen? And do players charge in-game coins/resources in order to use their plots?

• LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 543

--Disclaimer: I am free-to-play, therefore own no plot of land and no structure. All I am telling - is by indirect experience only (seen, heared etc)--

Each structure has its properties. The owner may set who may use the structure: "deny all" (the owner only may use), "everyone", "guild only" (only members of the guild may use it).

It works the following way: you have a plot and you constructed Blacksmith structure (with Smelter and Anvil). If you set permissions to "everyone" it means that everyone who wants, may come to your structure, make some items, If you set permissions to "deny all" - only you could make some items. If you set permissions to "guild only" - only members of the Guild you belong to may make some items. It's sharing a file folder: do not share, share with everyone or with some workgroup...

There is no way to charge for this: either deny all or give at least to small number of friends. Typically almost all structures meant to produce something are public: if you have resources, come and craft as long as you wish. Storage structures may be public, but not all (since plot owner needs storage) and sometimes it may take some time to find free public silo.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by pupurun

I totally enjoy Istaria as a game. It has a certain appeal to me, despite its dated graphs and limited development.There were numerous times when i wanted to sub to this game but i always stopped at the price. I cannot accept  the $14.95(with plot-without a plot the game is useless)  pricing for an old,indie,low populated game. At best the normal(with plot) pricing would be ok at 7,90-9,90$. Just my opinion...

Why do you feel the game is useless without a plot?

There are guilds who have their own towns/cities that are open to the public, providing vendors, crafting shops, etc. That's aside from the various crafting stations and vendors around the game. 

If you feel, personally, that having your own personal plot is a "must have" in a MMO, then I can see where you come to that conclusion. However, you also have to acnkowledge that your conclusion is based on your personal preference, and not an objective standard of any sort.

Ultimately, whether or not the price is worth it is up to the individual - just as it is in any MMO. If you enjoy the game enough to warrant the fee, then it's worth it to you. If you feel it's missing too much that makes it worth while, then it may not be. That's 100% subjective.

That said, I disagree. 

I think $14.95 is quite a reasonable price, given how much the game offers to players. When you consider the differences, which are substantial, between playing as a dragon and playing as a biped - not to mention all the school options + race options you have as a player, and the fact that you can switch between them, etc... Istaria is almost like 2 games in one. Playing as a dragon is an entirely different experience to playing as a biped. 

I don't feel I'm lacking anything in the game by not having a plot. As I'm progressing, and more of the game is opening up to me and I'm learning more of what I can do, the more worthwhile it is to me. I feel that way paying the non-landplot sub, and I'd feel it's worth it paying the $14.95 for a landplot sub.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops