Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Online: The Serpent’s Apple

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Naysayers aside, many EVE Online players are enjoying something called F-U-N. In his latest One Jump Home column, MMORPG.com's Ross McDermott talks about some of the good times he's been enjoying in game and predicts that the future of EVE is still quite bright. Check it out and then leave us your comments.

And so, fun was had. Some followed, most were hesitant, and few considered the political ramifications of their actions. It took two pilots, two from Test Alliance Please Ignore and one from Elite Space Guild - The Alliance I happen to be the CEO of - to get caught in the crossfire before it all came tumbling down. After a night of fanciful free-flying through Delve, the fleet of Pandemic Legion, TEST and ESG were ready to pack up their bags. Good fights were nowhere to be had and tiredness and boredom were beginning to take hold. Sleepy pilots were ready for their beds, so ships were hauled towards the system known as 1DH and all the gates were green.

Read more of Ross McDermott's One Jump Home: The Serpent’s Apple.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• futnatusfutnatus Member Posts: 193

I love reading this so freaking much.  Makes me want to play EvE a lot too.

• OkhamsRazorOkhamsRazor Member Posts: 1,047

At 14.99 dollars compared to 14.99 euros . One thing that makes me not want to play EvE in the EU  is the inequality of the price compared to North America . If they brought the European subscription fee into the same price as other mmos I might consider it . I don't see why Americans should have it cheaper .

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Originally posted by OkhamsRazor

At 14.99 dollars compared to 14.99 euros . One thing that makes me not want to play EvE in the EU  is the inequality of the price compared to North America . If they brought the European subscription fee into the same price as other mmos I might consider it . I don't see why Americans should have it cheaper .

Actually Euros have taken quite a hit lately with all the troubles with European debt, not that much of a differential any more.

Nice story, but the outcome was predictable.  When you fly with your enemies, chances are large you will eventually run into friends and of course the typical fubar event unfolds, plus you have to address all the diplomatic snafus that result.

Adding new ships and buffing hybrids are more likely fluff that will keep people entertained for short periods, they really need to address the ability of alliances to hold large tracts of space and make capitals far more vulnerable than they currently are.

• wabben77wabben77 Member Posts: 47

liking the eve articles on mmorpg.com, keep em coming.

• wabben77wabben77 Member Posts: 47

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Adding new ships and buffing hybrids are more likely fluff that will keep people entertained for short periods, they really need to address the ability of alliances to hold large tracts of space and make capitals far more vulnerable than they currently are.

null sec is on the list for the winter expansion, nobody knows how it will be changed though. Capitals ARE being made more vulnerable, in the form of 20% reduced HP across hull armor and shields. Also their formiddable fighters and bombers now have a much increased scan resolution, meaning they will no longer be able to combat every size of ship. After the change, they should only be able to hit battleships (not well mind you) and capital ships. 

I agree it should be much harder to hold large areas of space, and hopefully ccp will find a way to do this.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

they really need to address the ability of alliances to hold large tracts of space

No, they need not. It is fine as it is.

The rest was addressed by poster above.

Balance in EVE is joke for years and more has to be done than just hybrids...

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by OkhamsRazor

Actually Euros have taken quite a hit lately with all the troubles with European debt, not that much of a differential any more.

Nice story, but the outcome was predictable.  When you fly with your enemies, chances are large you will eventually run into friends and of course the typical fubar event unfolds, plus you have to address all the diplomatic snafus that result.

If you pay with the Euro then your paying 30% more per month (20USD).  Euro is worth about 1.36 USD.  And actually, over the past year the Euro has been becomming more valuable than the dollar, at one point being worth almost 1.5 USD and its more valuable now than it was a year ago.

• genkiselgenkisel Member UncommonPosts: 22

I'm already paying $20 a month in the US because of the Foreign Exchange Fee.

"Its Hot Drop-o-Clock" Clear Skies 3.

In China, monthly pass for public transportation is about 20 USD, that is about +3 times more than you would pay in the US.

Ironically, you pay 'more' because of idiotic EU who wants, like you, everyone to be paying 'equally'...

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373

I miss EVE, wish my real life let me spend time on activities described in the OP, but alas, not to be at this point in my life.

Now, if I could just win that darn Powerball lottery I'd be golden. image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• futnatusfutnatus Member Posts: 193

Originally posted by Kyleran

I miss EVE, wish my real life let me spend time on activities described in the OP, but alas, not to be at this point in my life.

Now, if I could just win that darn Powerball lottery I'd be golden. image

Hahah, oh yes!  Definately this.

• xBlackBoxXxBlackBoxX Member Posts: 34

Ross,

One word: you suck.  Better not let me catch your face roaming around syndicate, ya hear?

• TivianTivian Member UncommonPosts: 168

That is my Alliance for ya. Leave it to PL to dissrupt all that is harmony in an Alliance. Snigg/BOS a deadly combo. keep up the good work boys.

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

The idea that PL setup this "engagement" to put a wedge between friendly entities doesn't sound like PL.  They are for fights and using meta-gaming to down the big fish as well as rape regions filed with noobs and pubbies.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • InktomiInktomi Member UncommonPosts: 663

Finally!

They finally listened! Congrats to CCP for doing the right thing and paying respect to the whole reason why they still exist: their customers.

I am so happy for the players that stuck in there. Unfortunately, I am not one of them, but thats ok. I had my fun in EVE and it is time to move on. Players really deserve some new ships because thats what really drives this game home, its the various ships and builds that a player can create, and lose, and create and lose again.

These new ships like the Gallente Talos and the Minmater Tornado look great and I'm curious to what the Amarr and Caldari will look like. What I'm even more impressed with is that these ships are desinged by members of the Deviant Art community. A website that I've been a fan of for years.

Big KUDOS to them for winning, the designs look great.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

Meh more spin, nothing really ever changes with CCP they chase the buck if they start to lose subscribers they toss players a bone they could have done months ago.

• w4rbytezw4rbytez Member Posts: 17

so much for my hiatus. thx for the article =]

• liberalguyliberalguy Member UncommonPosts: 118

Originally posted by Quesa

The idea that PL setup this "engagement" to put a wedge between friendly entities doesn't sound like PL.  They are for fights and using meta-gaming to down the big fish as well as rape regions filed with noobs and pubbies.

Buddying up to Test to try and cause stress within the CFC is the very definition of meta-gaming. The only part of this that doesn't sound like PL is how obvious they are being about it.

• tyrannistyrannis Member Posts: 198

Originally posted by Gdemami

In China, monthly pass for public transportation is about 20 USD, that is about +3 times more than you would pay in the US.

Ironically, you pay 'more' because of idiotic EU who wants, like you, everyone to be paying 'equally'...

Not sure where you live but a montly pass for MTA in GA is $95.00.

##Best SWTOR of 2011
    Posted by I_Return - SWTOR - "Forget the UI the characters and all ofhe nitpicking bullshit" "Greatest MMO Ever Created"

##Fail Thread Title of 2011
    Originally posted by daveospice
    "this game looks like crap?"

Originally posted by tyrannisNot sure where you live but a montly pass for MTA in GA is $95.00.

That is still +3 times more. Your point is...?

• tyrannistyrannis Member Posts: 198

Originally posted by Gdemami

Originally posted by tyrannis

Not sure where you live but a montly pass for MTA in GA is $95.00.

...and your point is?

My point is that your information and/or math fails. However, now that you asked me what my point was I feel there are deeper issues.

##Best SWTOR of 2011
    Posted by I_Return - SWTOR - "Forget the UI the characters and all ofhe nitpicking bullshit" "Greatest MMO Ever Created"

##Fail Thread Title of 2011
    Originally posted by daveospice
    "this game looks like crap?"

Originally posted by tyrannis

My point is that your information and/or math fails. However, now that you asked me what my point was I feel there are deeper issues.

Ah, typo I see now. I meant +3 times LESS of course..

• Draconus95Draconus95 Member Posts: 1

I for one love the new changes especially to Hybrid I think it's been too long since they did anything to it, and new ships definately appeal to me and I believe everyone will love CCP for it. Now it leaves me asking...when are those t3 Frigs coming out? :) Cheers all

Draconus95:

Sadly, hybrid changes are not helping anything. 

There is a conceptual issue with blasters. They are supposed to be close range, heavy damage hitters but at the same time the ships are slow.

The result is SLOW ships with SHORT range that has no way to get in and keep in range of their guns. This simply does not work and CCP did not move from square one.

At the same time, Minmatar/Projectiles(autocannons) are incredibly overpowered and on top Minamatar recieve isnane powerhouse Tornado, that makes whole things even worse..

Hybrids are recieving same 'tweak' projectiles received while back - unreasonable flat boost without addressing root issue.

CCP is lacking competent devs. Period.

• OldBikerOldBiker Member Posts: 75

Originally posted by genkisel

I'm already paying $20 a month in the US because of the Foreign Exchange Fee.

Use PayPal or get a better credit card.  I pay $38 for 3 months with PayPal and I don't get hit with any fees.