Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: What I Want Beyond 1.6

13»

Comments

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Originally posted by Puremallace

Originally posted by teakbois
    Rift took the approach that 'we dont need as much content because people wont have to roll alts with our system' without realizing that people WANT to roll alts.
    A lot of this is because at max level, your character progression stops.  Yes, they later added PA, but that system is just two minor for it to work as it does for EQ1.  Maybe the second tier will fix that.
    I was never a alt-aholic. I am not sure where exactly this new found love for alts came from in the mmo world. You roll alts when there is nothing to do on your main unless that has suddenly changed in the mmo world.

New found?

People have been rolling alts since after EQ1 when the leveling was lowered much across the industry. Even during EQ vets rolled alts. In WoW (2004 release) alts were always the rage. FFXI had tons of alts and subjobs as a grindy game. EQ2 people rolled alts consistently, usually for both sides. Both of those games have been out almost eight YEARS now so it's hardly newfound.

Heck, even in AION I bet you had at least two 50s and that was a grind game. I know I had 4 of them in one year.

That's a curious statement you think alts just came out of nowhere when people have always rolled them.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by Puremallace

You roll alts when there is nothing to do on your main unless that has suddenly changed in the mmo world.

There are many reasons to roll alts, but this was a pretty uncommon one in the old days.  In the era of glacial development (WoW) and rush to end game (Rift) its become more common though.

Top 2 reasons people roll alts (and its foten a combo of both):

1.  To try out a new class (lots of people in Rift have a 50 of each class for example)

2.  Because the old content is fun (used a lot in EQ1 and WoW)

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

I feel Rift needs a reworking of the talent system

While it provides a lot of options, a lot of those option are severely overlapping with other souls, thus the game suffers from 'hotkey allergy'

Instead of a skill that does one specific purpose, make one damage skill, and players can use the talent tree to modify how the skill works.

For example:

fireblade causes 10 damage initially

But with the talent tree you can either

1. make it into an aoe

2. add CC effect

3. heals allies

4. additional dot damage

5. debuff enemy

6. buff allies

so instead of 7 skills that does differnt things, players have to choose between them, forcing them to make a choice, which is what customisation is all about. 

In the end, players have around 10 damage skills that they can upgrade and modify with the talent system, as oppose to having to manage 50 skills at the same time.

Because currently, RIFT provides options, but there aren't freedom in customisation, if you want to spec a riftstalker, theres almost only 2-3 spec that works really well.

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i want  different starting areas to promote alt rolling...

i want more actual villages / cities with many houses and walkways. Not just quest hubs with no sense of civilization... Not even Meridian and Sanctum are cities.... there are no houses there just tents and people scattered all over the place...

i want more playable races that could potentially fit the lore

more maps (perhaps expand the leveling experience by adding more areas of all lvls in order to have variety. Therefore becoming a less linear progression where yo have some options to go level )

i want more stuff but this is what most important to me right now besides the end game contend taht everyone wants

• 3rd faction (I want to serve Regulos). And do more with the 1-20 game. It's always 'endgame' this and 'endgame' that. I want wardrobe items and mount variety for the early game as not everyone is into leveling as fast as possible. That would maybe keep lower level zones from ending up like ghost towns if folks had a reason to play at all levels of the game (and be able to turn of xp). Maybe I'm alone here but as I go from mmo to mmo (over the last 15 years) I spend way too much time rerolling or leveling slowly and just experiencing the early game because the game dynamic suits me more than that hypertense 'endgame'.

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581
    like some posters here, I would like to see the devs add more starting zone, make the world bigger!
    however don't add too many things too fast!
    if not 1 year down the road they will run out of new ideas and keep rehearsing old contents

RIP Orc Choppa

• MorgarenMorgaren Member UncommonPosts: 397

I want to see more non combat oriented things to do, like fishing, or maybe a vanguard style diplomacy game.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Morgaren

I want to see more non combat oriented things to do, like fishing, or maybe a vanguard style diplomacy game.

Agreed, but even more I would like some "Thief" styled stealth missions if you remember that old game.

I also want a little more focus on the story, some better written and less standard quests.

• AJ2MEAJ2ME Member Posts: 71

What will happen is: 

1) End content for ALL of the dragons. (Life, Death, Water, Fire currently,  Air or Earth next)

2) Take the battle to each of the dragon realms (possible expansion)

3) ?

• NeherunNeherun Member UncommonPosts: 280

Back then when we were beta testing it, its focus wasn't PvE.

So, the carebears have finally won?

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Momentarely I'm back to wow now, but Rift is my 2nd game in charge. All the rest lags very far behind. Among them once per year I enjoy a lot CO for two or three months.

Originally posted by Neherun

Back then when we were beta testing it, its focus wasn't PvE.

So, the carebears have finally won?

Rift is built with a PvE game's blueprint with its main concept (and eventual title) very obviously PvE oriented.  Rift was always marketed as PvE first

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Rift is built with a PvE game's blueprint with its main concept (and eventual title) very obviously PvE oriented.  Rift was always marketed as PvE first

Pretty sure Scott Hartsman can be directly quoted as saying "we never expected pvp'rs to be so interested in our game". Go figure Rift is missing all these features and stuff you see in something like GW2.

Could you imagine if they put all that dev power that rolls out pve into pvp? It would be crazy, but the preasure to keep putting out new content is intense. Ember Isle is jam packed with so much crap I feel like I am should be charged for it. Add on to that list for 1.6 tier 2 planar attunement and new runes/quest for the new war front just added.

Originally posted by Neherun Back then when we were beta testing it, its focus wasn't PvE. So, the carebears have finally won?    

Yeah lol. I don't know what part of the beta he was testing. Maybe a select elite group of beta testers were shuffled off somewhere and forced to fight each other.

The testing I remember in the beta had to do with people running rifts and complaining about how often they were happening, then they tweaked it and people enjoyed it immensely afterwards.

I hardly remember anyone PvPing in the beta at all. /shrug

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Speaking about Rift's future, i was wondering if they keep on pumping out patches like they do and having them numbered numerical as 1.*, the addon is most likely not going to be 2.0 then.

So assuming the addon is going to be 3.0, plus Trion is delivering a patch every 6 weeks, it would take them 54 weeks to get to 2.9 from 2.0. Add some more weeks, as we also haven't hit 2.0 yet.

That would mean that they'll slap in the addon somewhere in between as 2.5 or we will have to wait over a year until it'll be 3.0.

But then, this is just some lose mathematics and speculation which you can slap a ton of "if", "but" and "what" upon. So my conclusion of this post is that i'm getting carried away on my train of thoughts again, so i guess i'll get myself a coffee first.

Originally posted by VoIgore

Speaking about Rift's future, i was wondering if they keep on pumping out patches like they do and having them numbered numerical as 1.*, the addon is most likely not going to be 2.0 then.

So assuming the addon is going to be 3.0, plus Trion is delivering a patch every 6 weeks, it would take them 54 weeks to get to 2.9 from 2.0. Add some more weeks, as we also haven't hit 2.0 yet.

That would mean that they'll slap in the addon somewhere in between as 2.5 or we will have to wait over a year until it'll be 3.0.

But then, this is just some lose mathematics and speculation which you can slap a ton of "if", "but" and "what" upon. So my conclusion of this post is that i'm getting carried away on my train of thoughts again, so i guess i'll get myself a coffee first.

1.10 comes after 1.9, not 2.0

• CothorCothor Member UncommonPosts: 174

Rift just feels like a pointless game right now. They need

-Crafting that matters. I should be able to craft a full set of armor that looks awesome and is equivilent to high end raid gear

-They need to make an Arena for PvP with a public ladder posted in the major cities that everyone can see.

-All raid timers should be taken away, and all raids should be puggable under the dungeon finder

-They need to impliment both player houseing, player boats, and sea battles

-There needs to be new and fun ways to make money, the current economy and crafting system sucks

-The game just feel like it is dying.

Originally posted by Cothor

Rift just feels like a pointless game right now. They need

-Crafting that matters. I should be able to craft a full set of armor that looks awesome and is equivilent to high end raid gear

-They need to make an Arena for PvP with a public ladder posted in the major cities that everyone can see.

-All raid timers should be taken away, and all raids should be puggable under the dungeon finder

-They need to impliment both player houseing, player boats, and sea battles

-There needs to be new and fun ways to make money, the current economy and crafting system sucks

-The game just feel like it is dying.

No to the arena, yes to everything else.

Rift isnt dying, but it is slowly bleeding.  I think they might be best served by, um, making another 10 or so 'trial servers' as busier servers for most people are more fun.   They seem too afraid of negative publicity of closing servers, so they are slowly converting them to trial servers.  Healthier for the game if they just bite the bullet IMO

• BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 366

The game was alot of fun until I hit 50.  I always enjoy the journey better than the destination especially in these theme park type games.  I tried rolling an alt but it isnt nearly as good the second time around.

Im just so tired of grinding for gear at max level.  Unfortunately Im not sure what they can replace it with to make it feel like progession still.

As I get older, almost 40 ;P, I just dont have the time anymore and when you get in a pug with asses it stops being fun.  Might be time for me to find a new hobby ;(.

• moguy1moguy1 Member UncommonPosts: 135

Um did you graduate from highschool? 1.9 is greater than 1.10. If anything 1.91 comes after 1.90 not 1.10 . Our future right here folks.

Originally posted by moguy1

Um did you graduate from highschool? 1.9 is greater than 1.10. If anything 1.91 comes after 1.90 not 1.10 . Our future right here folks.

So when you get to the 10th chapter of Fellowship of the Ring are you now reading the first chapter again?  Or maybe you are now reading The Two Towers?

Originally posted by Beyorn

The game was alot of fun until I hit 50.  I always enjoy the journey better than the destination especially in these theme park type games.  I tried rolling an alt but it isnt nearly as good the second time around.

Im just so tired of grinding for gear at max level.  Unfortunately Im not sure what they can replace it with to make it feel like progession still.

As I get older, almost 40 ;P, I just dont have the time anymore and when you get in a pug with asses it stops being fun.  Might be time for me to find a new hobby ;(.

Rift was designed to be about the destination, not the Journey.  There are still games like EQ2 and Lotro that value the Journey.  

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456

I have made suggestions in the Rift forums about a few things that would really kick it up a notch.  I think if anyone can do it, it is probably Trion, since the rate they have been cranking out quality content has been amazing.

1)  RVR Zone - If anyone could make this kick butt it would be Trion.

2)  Housing - Admittedly this is fluff more than necessity and is probably low on the list.

3)  New zones - The world could use a little expansion.

4)  Third faction - This seems unlikely, but would really balance out the 2 faction issue.  I suggested a fairy faction as a third, just because it would be so unique.  Like the fairies are tired of the Guardians and Defiants tromping back and forth across their lands and have decided to take matters into their own hands. 

5)  Cooking/Fishing/etc. - More fluff skills to round out the list of interesting things to do.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

Originally posted by Raventree

1)  RVR Zone - If anyone could make this kick butt it would be Trion.

Why?

I don't see what makes Trion potentially better at realm vs realm PvP than anyone else in the industry right now. They haven't shown they have a firm grasp on what makes good normal PvP work yet.

I'd say SoE has shown they know better with games like Planetside than Trion. At least they've already made a game like that and are now making Planetside 2 for 2012, three-faction realm vs realm combat.

Trion has shown that they can push out dungeons and raids very well imo, but that's not what people are asking for.. more of those.

• Nefarion84Nefarion84 Member Posts: 17

The way I would like to see Rift go eventually is the idea of being able to stave off the invasions into Telara, and giving us the option of "rifting" into the other elemental planes of existence, ie opening a Telarian Rift into the Plane of fire and taking the fight to them! Then being able to not only establish housing in Telara, but having the chance, with a lot of work to establish housing in the other planes. Just a thought.