Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of WarPlanes: More Than Tanks in the Sky

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Fans of World of Tanks have a lot to look forward to in the coming months with the arrival of v7.0. But there's more "on the wing" for fans of war games with World of Warplanes. MMORPG.com Industry Relations Manager Garrett Fuller takes a look at both in his latest article. Check out what's coming for the pair of games from Wargaming.net. Leave us a couple comments after reading.

World of Tanks continues its meteoric rise of awesome action among the ranks of non-traditional MMOs. The game hits the target on more levels than a laser sighted cannon blast. Wargaming.net is not finished with all of the history, tank, and war-game enthusiasts out there yet, as World of Warplanes remains in development and the footage we saw was fun and exciting. Gamers who love the historic battlegrounds and features of WoT will enjoy the dogfights in the sky for World of Warplanes. Let’s go through some of the upcoming features of World of Tanks as well as a look at World of Warplanes.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's World of WarPlanes: More Than Tanks in the Sky.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• skullquakerskullquaker Member UncommonPosts: 311

i wonder if they will add the The Messerschmitt Me 163 

• Hekate27Hekate27 Member Posts: 47

I shall be interested to see which nations are first presented via their tech trees.  There have been rumours that the British Tree will not be in the initial release.  I do hope that is not the case as, given the vaguely historical setting, British Planes were dogfighting Germans whilst the Russians were still on Germany's side, and getting beaten by the Finns whom the Russians invaded, and the only Americans fighting were those that came and volunteered for British service.  This is something I feel very strongly about, the Battle of Britain is possibly the single most iconic air conflict of the period.  So please Wargaming.net do not ignore the British in this game.

Do what thou wilt, and harm ye none. - Witches Rede

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

More pay-to-win from that company, most whorish company I have yet to see in this genre (makes $oE look good!)  not that they actually make MMO's...

• MrBootsMrBoots Member UncommonPosts: 289

I can't wait until they ask me to pay hundreds of dollars a week to use premium ammo to win dog fights. I played World of Tanks but just couldn't afford to win and pay the rent too.

Wargaming are definitely in the top 5 abusers of the F2P model.

• BlackraynBlackrayn Member Posts: 142

Originally posted by saker

More pay-to-win from that company, most whorish company I have yet to see in this genre (makes $oE look good!)  not that they actually make MMO's...

^^ Agreed!!

While WoT is a very stunning game to look at, it's P2W model is pretty disgusting! And paying a sub doesn't even put you in the ballpark of the people that pay for more powerful ammo! Hey if you have the money and can afford to go ape $hit on ammo knock yourself out!

One week till MW3 which will hold me over till 12/20! Where then I hopefully have found my home for the next cpl years!!

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

Never bought a single round of ammo and typically did just fine in the game.  Maybe you just needed more practice?  But I will say the ammo you could buy did bother me, I just never much saw it as pay to win because I know for a fact I was constantly running over people who were using premium ammo with my regular ole ammo.

Not been playing it lately.  A very good fun PvP game but the community is pretty meh and battles get repetitive.  When new stuff is out though I will be back and I will surely at least look at Warplanes too :)

• MalevianMalevian Member Posts: 48

I enjoyed WoT as long as I stayed in Tier 1.  Once you advance the matchmaking system is downright terrible.  I happily uninstalled this game from my PC.

• ZerackusZerackus Member UncommonPosts: 47

Never toughed the primo ammo, seems dumb to spend money on every shot, but I am a premium subscriber. Makes sense to spend money and support the people who put out, run and add new content to the game you love to play. And yes, if you didn't stay and develop skills and tactics, you did fail.

Zerackus the Bane
    Son of Myrkul
    Undead Lords
    www.undeadlords.net

• TaiphozTaiphoz Member UncommonPosts: 353

Originally posted by ZoeMcCloskey

Never bought a single round of ammo and typically did just fine in the game.  Maybe you just needed more practice?  But I will say the ammo you could buy did bother me, I just never much saw it as pay to win because I know for a fact I was constantly running over people who were using premium ammo with my regular ole ammo.

Not been playing it lately.  A very good fun PvP game but the community is pretty meh and battles get repetitive.  When new stuff is out though I will be back and I will surely at least look at Warplanes too :)

Trying playing in it's clan wars without buying ammo you will soon see what a watse of time it is, we were normally getting into semi finals and finals a lot when we played but ultimatly getting raped in the final from the team who had all gotten gold amo.

Pay to win is here to stay , its sad but games are not games any more, their not things you play to have fun their things you dump money into so you can win all the time.

• britishboybritishboy Member Posts: 2

historically accurate? my belly is hurting with laughter. and why are they intent of insulting the british by not adding them to the games, wargaming.net. you can play down the british in ww2 as much as you like but its only the idiots who take note. the rest of us know our history. and remember when you leave the british out of warplanes and put soviet flags on british iconic planes like the spit, its only making you lose customers. while the soviets was ally to germany and USA couldnt make their mind up weather to ally with germany or UK. the RAF and royal navy was beating the nazi war machine. the germans was made realised that churchils words was more than a speech. 

dont play any wargaming product if your british

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Well my experience with WOT is the end game is all about primo ammo.  Skill and tactics only go so far, so yeah you can fight people using the primo ammo and win, but if they know what they are doing you are basically toast.

Nothing wrong with supporting a game you like by spending some money in it, but if you play any of these games much you will end up spending far more than a regular subscription.

I just don't like pay to win games and World of Warplanes will certainly be another one of them.  

• SuraknarSuraknar Member UncommonPosts: 852

Played WoT for few months.

I never bought premium Ammo, curently at Tier 9 tanks (Heavy and medium).

I did have to buy a Premium Tank however and I did pay for a couple of months of premium account.

Then I realised that a permium account is not needed either.

I have some of my friends that did not even buy a Premium Tank - whose main utility is to generate in game cach (silver), to be able to afford the next upgrade as you move up the tiers with other tanks and since without one it becomes really hard as you are losing money at the high tiers with regular tanks due to the rising cost of ammo and repairs.

Still, some people are patient enough and made their money by playing very low tier battles instead. But if you want a smooth progression do yourself a favor and get one of the Heavy Premium tanks.

What seems to not be common knowledge is that, many of the players which do use Premium Ammo, do not spend money to get it.

The game has a System of teritorial Conquest in Clan vs Clan mode, and each territory occupied generates Gold for free which can be distributed to all members of a clan.

So the clans that occupy the Conquest Map do not have to pay for anything not even Premium accounts or Premium tanks because the gold is free.

And this is the key of this game's financial success, the company makes its money from all the rest of the people part of clans that want to get some territory, they compete to get a peace of the action and to do it you must have a Clan of at least 20 active people that all have reached Tier 9-10. And to do this within reasonable time you need to open your wallet.

That said, I found the game exciting and something of a novelty in the begining, I enjoyed fighting with Tanks in it more than WWII Online in many ways.

But, in the long run it can become somewhat boring, as converselly to WWII online it has little novelty and much repetition, there is a finite number of maps which repeat over and over.

Added to that its combat system is Hit Point based which may be fun in the begining but after a few months becomes bothersome specially at the top tiers when you fight often against people bellonging to clans that hold teritory and all use premium ammo.

While both your tanks have, lets say 2000 hp, they make much more damage than you to them and so in a face off you are always at a disadvantage. Tactics come in play yes, but, most people at those tiers know the tactics too. The bottm line is that it can take you 8 shots to kill an oponnet and it takes them 4 shots, so even if you moved at the right moment behind a corner or rock etc and they missed a couple of shots they still get you before you get them. Add Team coordination and target triangulation to that and you are toast.

There is no Physics based system like in WWII Online. Which also has it drawbacks in terms of fun but at least it is not based on an artificial advantage.

I still play a few matches here and there casually, but it is definitelly not a game I play on a regular basis anymore...nor do I spend any money on it either...F2P games that employ P2W mechanics are not fun in the long run.

And WoT may have had 5 million accounts created but the majority are not active, there is about 16k people playing on a daily basis.

Like others said here, Premium ammo does not make the prospect of WoA very exciting, but I will try WoB (World of Battleships) just to experience some Naval Combat.

I think Black Prophesy (I will be trying that next) would satisfy the pilot/dogfight urges better than WoA, at least it will be in a more traditional MMO setting.

- Duke Suraknar -
    Order of the Silver Star, OSS

ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard
  • vonslashavonslasha Member Posts: 31

i love the current WOT pay model. it keeps all the whinny little kids and people who want everything for free out of the game. 

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

I've been playing WoT off and on for a little while, never made it past tier 6 though, so I can't really attest to the gold ammo problem.  I have a friend who regularly plays clan wars, and even he doesn't use gold ammo.  He told me that sometimes members of his clan will use it, but it's not mandatory.  The only thing that keeps me from playing this game long stretches of time is the matchmaking system.  Basically, in my experience, from t3 to t6 has just been horrible.  I am frequently matched up against tier 9 tanks and just higher tier tanks in general.  Of course it's a team game, but when you can't even penetrate a tank's armor in their weak spots, you are pretty worthless to your team.  I could always swith to HE ammo, and do like a 5% dmg, wooptie.

If they could just reduce the tier spreads, it'd be a lot more fun.  I have a feeling that will never happen.  It's set up that way to encourage you to spend money on premium tanks or spend money to convert xp to free xp to level up faster.  The only thing is, that bothers me, makes me want to spend less money or none at all.  It's still a fun game, just can't play it for long stretches at a time. 

I imagine WoWP will be the same type of system, it'll be fun, but will have unfair matchmaking system.  Regardless, I am looking forward to the game.  Just hope I wont need to go buy a joystick!

• sadnebulasadnebula Member UncommonPosts: 263

The complaints on the forums haven't changed since beta started. match making, arty , premium tanks. poor to no profits at high tiers due to WG jacking ammo and repair prices during beta. Not a bad game if you don't mind climbing the tiers at a snails pace for free. But there are so many hooks in this game to drain your wallet.   Their game is about profit over fun. profitt, yes they desirve it , but not at the expense of game play.

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

Originally posted by Dvalon

Originally posted by ZoeMcCloskey

Trying playing in it's clan wars without buying ammo you will soon see what a watse of time it is, we were normally getting into semi finals and finals a lot when we played but ultimatly getting raped in the final from the team who had all gotten gold amo.

Pay to win is here to stay , its sad but games are not games any more, their not things you play to have fun their things you dump money into so you can win all the time.

ahhh, yeah I would figure that is true

I have never done the Clan wars, the time they happen doesn't work for me at all, hah

• redcap036redcap036 Member UncommonPosts: 1,230

Originally posted by vonslasha

i love the current WOT pay model. it keeps all the whinny little kids and people who want everything for free out of the game. 

Totally agree, also far as I'm concerned, those that complain about gold ammo killing them off are just lousy at the game and need someone else to blame than admit their own inability to play the game well.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Cannot connect to this website.....other people are experiencing difficulty connecting to this site.

Next try...You have entered a server group optimized for European players,you are from Canada please try the North American group of servers optimized for them.

Click that link still cannot connect...hmm not a good way to promote your product.

I seriously doubt the game is catered to skill and not the cash shop,they would make no money if that was the truth.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• britishboybritishboy Member Posts: 2

come on, lets face it. the only people who defend this game are the ones who have spent a fortune on it, and its their way to justify their stupidity. well i had a lowe and grinded up to is7. and the game still sucks. i spent about £100 on this crap. the game is broken. spotting bugs. ghost shells. game crash. tanks getting stuck etc.......... all this has been going on since beta and npthing has been done. the battle ballance is pure rubbish  and too many SPG that can wipe you in 1 shot. no fun when there is 7 SPG a side.

DONT PLAY THIS GAME OND I GUESS WARPLANES WILL BE THE SAME, IF NOT WORSE

• spaceCadet2spaceCadet2 Member Posts: 1

Totally agree with Suraknar

It goes like this. I'm in one of the top 10 Clans(by provinces) in Clan Wars, ultimate conquest.

My clan has around 500k  gold in its treasury. I personally have more then 800 gold rounds for my top tier tanks. I have never used premium ammo in random battles and I know that none of my clan mates bother using premium ammo in random battles.

In CW in the last month I used premium ammo 5 times max maybe, the majority of battles are fought using normal ammo.

On my Is-7 I have more then 80% victory ratio in more then 300 battles. CW mainly

On my T32 -70 % win ration . random battles

On my M7 priest - 40% win ratio. I suck at playing arty :)

So in my humble opinion all that premium ammo is supreme is bullshit. If you are loosing you are lacking skill. Stop blaming it on ammo.

• GrahorGrahor Member Posts: 828

Premium ammo gives you may be 10% advantage in the game, top.

Teamwork and training is more important by far in clan wars than premium ammo; however, when you are in the semi-finals and finals of clan war, it is expected for you to buy premium ammo for those most important fights.

Last month i've spent the grand total of $2.7 (two dollars 70 cents) on premium ammo for semifinals and finals of clan wars.

Nobody uses premium ammo in random fights, that's ridiculous; even if people did, the benefit is minimal, waaaaay below 10 percent; I have no problem going in any of my tanks against similar tank using premium ammo in random fights. Skill means so much more.

I'm playing the game for more than a year, practicly daily, I've spent may be $30 total on it.

If you lose, it's not because your opponent has premium ammo.

I consider this model good enough balance of pay-to-win and win-through-skill.

The idea that you spend lots of money on the game is simply wrong.

Originally posted by redcap036

Originally posted by vonslasha

Totally agree, also far as I'm concerned, those that complain about gold ammo killing them off are just lousy at the game and need someone else to blame than admit their own inability to play the game well.

While I do agree that the amount of asshats that I have ran into have been limited! Probably one of the reasons I still log in and play.

I however do not agree about the highlighted section! The ability to purchase far superior ammo via P2W model highly overshadows anyone's inability to play! Why I do agree it takes a little bit of time to figure out good approach's to certain situations, and certain tanks. The fact that you can jump in a T7(heavy) tank and be one shot by a T9 with purchased ammo has nothing to do with anyone's inability!

Everytime you move up a tier in a tank line, into a stock tank, you suck! You know it and everyone that plays know it. Is it frustraiting at times? Sure, but not near as bad as getting fully upgraded in a tank, to roll out on the field to peek around that building to take a shot and get one shotted, from a tank you don't even see!

Someone said that tier's 3-6 were bad. I have to somewhat disagree. Tier's 1-5 aren't to shabby, yes you get some MM issues. But, at these tier's there are far less people wasting money on gold ammo. So the match's are actually more enjoyable, even though the tanks are not as big and badass as the upper tier's. 6-7 seem to get the MM abuse far more times then the lower lvl's. Don't care what tank you are from T7(speedier the better though), when you roll into a Maus, or E-100 might as well just hit escape and exit, and go start the next battle. Because you know that the 2 shots you get onto them before they toast you, are just gonna bounce!!

Originally posted by Blackrayn Don't care what tank you are from T7(speedier the better though), when you roll into a Maus, or E-100 might as well just hit escape and exit, and go start the next battle. Because you know that the 2 shots you get onto them before they toast you, are just gonna bounce!!

What the hell?

Every lower tier tank is matched by same tier tank in the opponent's team.

You are not supposed to go against Maus or E100 in your Tiger! Move away from their directive, get and kill lower-level tanks of the other team, push through to enemy artillery if possible, allow top-tiers and artillery of your team to fight against Maus-E100 unmolested, support them with HE - yeah, it's 5% per shot, but 3-4 lower level tanks will eat Mouse with thouse 5% shots alive in no time.

*shrug* as someone who is playing with lower and middle level tanks conctantly, it's still great fun. You don't have to kill top tier tank of enemy team by yourself, or go head to head with it, you have other roles to play.

Originally posted by Grahor

Originally posted by Blackrayn Don't care what tank you are from T7(speedier the better though), when you roll into a Maus, or E-100 might as well just hit escape and exit, and go start the next battle. Because you know that the 2 shots you get onto them before they toast you, are just gonna bounce!!

What the hell?

Every lower tier tank is matched by same tier tank in the opponent's team.

You are not supposed to go against Maus or E100 in your Tiger! Move away from their directive, get and kill lower-level tanks of the other team, push through to enemy artillery if possible, allow top-tiers and artillery of your team to fight against Maus-E100 unmolested, support them with HE - yeah, it's 5% per shot, but 3-4 lower level tanks will eat Mouse with thouse 5% shots alive in no time.

*shrug* as someone who is playing with lower and middle level tanks conctantly, it's still great fun. You don't have to kill top tier tank of enemy team by yourself, or go head to head with it, you have other roles to play.

I agree grahor, I do! I've learned through playing that certain tanks are better at certin things! And not saying I'm not having fun, cause it is fun. I don't think I have flamed the game overall? But, all I'm saying that I think that the paying for gold ammo is in the P2W model. I probably would have been sub'd by now if the option to purchase ammo wasn't there. Do I take blame for most of my deaths, absolutely! It's just the fact that, while I'm trying to improve my skills to get better, I know that there is someone that "pay's" to have better ammo. A crime? No! But, to say that I or someone else lacks in skill, cause I don't "pay" for my skill, that's just absurd. I will say if you don't think anyone is using it, then that's just silly.

>>It's just the fact that, while I'm trying to improve my skills to get better, I know that there is someone that "pay's" to have better ammo.<<

It doesn't give you any actual advantages, you know. You neither do more damage nor shoot faster. You don't hit more often. The only thing most premium ammo does is 20% better armor penetration. The advantage is so pathetically small, especially below tier 10, that it's not worthy of mentioning.

Not a single person in my clan or in any other clan I know of uses premium ammo outside of finals/semi finals of clan wars. And so what if someone was using it? Skill still trumps ammo any time.