Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If people have got this heated over Blizzard adding a Panda race, I would hate to see the rage of pl

Comments

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Ogres are vicious and cool and

PANDAS ARE STILL SILLY

In my personal opinion, that is ...

And whatever you or anyone says about it, that can't or won't change for a bit.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Originally posted by Yamota

Ogre's are big, vicious and scary (or can be) Pandas are stupid and silly so I don't see any grounds for this comparison.

Shrek? Who give's a shite about Shrek?

Yeah, they very stupid and silly. does that mean you would be willing to walk up to a Male Panda and slapping it hard in the face?

didnt think so

So is that what we are talking about? Walking up and slapping a wild animal in the face?

I thought we were discussing about modelling a race in a High Fantasy game after a fat, fluffy bear.

In other words, your strawman argument is pointless.

yes, fat humanoid Bear, is a poor model for fantasy (even tho its been done), but Humanoid Rat/Mouse people and Humanoid Frog people arent?

In one word. Yes.

It all depends on how you portrait them. A Cow would seem like a poor choice of a humanoid race but if you portray them like a minotaur, like how Tuaren are done, it works. However, from what I have seen, the Pandaren are simply stupid and silly and not a bit vicious looking.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Ogre's are big, vicious and scary (or can be) Pandas are stupid and silly so I don't see any grounds for this comparison.

Yeah, they very stupid and silly. does that mean you would be willing to walk up to a Male Panda and slapping it hard in the face?

didnt think so

So is that what we are talking about? Walking up and slapping a wild animal in the face?

I thought we were discussing about modelling a race in a High Fantasy game after a fat, fluffy bear.

yes, fat humanoid Bear, is a poor model for fantasy (even tho its been done), but Humanoid Rat/Mouse people and Humanoid Frog people arent?

In one word. Yes.

It all depends on how you portrait them. A Cow would seem like a poor choice of a humanoid race but if you portray them like a minotaur, like how Tuaren are done, it works. However, from what I have seen, the Pandaren are simply stupid and silly and not a bit vicious looking.

oops wrong picture

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Originally posted by bunnyhopper

OP you would have probably helped your "cause" quite a bit if you picked something that wasn't already classically associated with RPG games, you know, like ogres are and all.

But if they did all look like Shrek, then yes people would probably comment on it, and rightly so.

oh you mean like Humanoid Bears, and other Humanoid Animal races?

I mean by picking something that is not held to be a common part of the RPG bestiary. Or wait are you saying that because there is Beorn in the realms of Middle Earth that no one should ever be unhappy about them say, adding a nunchaku wielding half man, half chicken to the LoTRO game. With a nice fancy hat?

Out of interest if you are fine with the inclusion of pandas, why would you be bothered by the fact that not everyone else feels the same way? Why would you care that some actually do think pandas are fucking stupid but ogres are okay?

So no, players wouldn't be as likely to rage as hard if they added a player race that was more widely accepted within the genre (unless, as I said already, they all looked like Shrek). But then, that should be painfully obvious to anyone shouldn't it.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• MegaTommyMegaTommy Member UncommonPosts: 31

When you see a Panda, you go "Awww, he's so cute and fuzzy. Look at him eating that bamboo. Can i pet him?".

When you see any other bear (not counting Koala), you go "Yeah, if i get close he'll probably rip my arms off and maul me to death."

Goddamn, i just can't treat Pandarens seriously. Furbolgs with their silly thongs look more threatening.

I'm a dude. I do stuff.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Panda Khan

First appeared in 1985...

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

I actually don't see the huge deal about it.

They could be a unicorn race for all I care as long as they play okay.

Pandas as monks makes since too and I find it funny how back when WoW had the April Fools thing with pandas everyone was like "Oh I wish that was a playable race," and now that it is everyone is raging how stupid and childish it is.

Just shows me that players are looking for things to complain about and no matter what WoW would had for a race players would probably have bi***** and moaned.

Smile

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

didnt think so

In one word. Yes.

oops wrong picture

Two wrongs does not make one right. Showing an even more stupid and silly race does not make the case of the Pandaren race any stronger.

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

Ogres would be a cool race. Ug, Hit. Eat. Sleep. Ug. Ug. 

Can't grumble.

didnt think so

In one word. Yes.

oops wrong picture

Two wrongs does not make one right. Showing an even more stupid and silly race does not make the case of the Pandaren race any stronger.

where was your complaining when this hit

http://www.terafans.com/topic/329-race-lore-the-popori/

huh? I guess that doesnt count,,,

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

Doesnt matter what I think. That said, of the 24 people in my RIFT guild, all of whom played WoW a long time, none of them like pandas.

So...more meaningless statistics for you, ;-)

Whether people like them or not, it made my decision about going back to WoW easier. Never again. =)

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Originally posted by Naral

Doesnt matter what I think. That said, of the 24 people in my RIFT guild, all of whom played WoW a long time, none of them like pandas.

So...more meaningless statistics for you, ;-)

Whether people like them or not, it made my decision about going back to WoW easier. Never again. =)

I still do not understand this.  WoW has always been...ahem...WoW, in regard to what the graphics looked like: Fisher-Price.  The inclusion of the Pandaren...really should not have come as any surprise in the least.

The surprise to me is TS 2.0... after all the complaints about the changes with Cata.  People complained that Blizzard dumbed it down.  So what is Blizzard doing as a result of that feedback?  Dumbing it down more.

Blizzard could go with an entirely new engine, completely change the graphics style, etc, etc... but with the TS 2.0 changes... screw 'em.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• camil82camil82 Member UncommonPosts: 50

lets put it so, ofcourse people react on something they dont like and they wont throw their hard earned money for something thats not worth it, so nowonder about it.

next thing is if they wanted to put them into game, they should have added it then people was looking for it and not now there almost everyone dont want it or isnt looking for it.

second thing is WoW was going down the hill for a bit longer time even before this expansion was offcialy annnounced, lets say with cataclysim expansion, so if someone is fault its the company who publishes and makes the game.

my conclusion pandas have not much to do now with this whats happening, the fault its only company because they arent doing their work like they used to do it before, and ofcourse you lose your clients then people get something better on market for their money.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I don't play wow, but pandas are silly....But so is wow....I mean its got cartoonish graphics, and I don't think anyone has ever mistaken it for hardcore...Its the same company that makes silly commercials with celebrities...

So silly yes, should you be suprised? No.  So I wouldn't think it would bother many people.

The whole Ogre thing is even more silly, I don't think anyone has been swayed by it...I mean count how many games have Ogres in it, Trolls, Elfs, etc...It would be like joking that next thing you know, people will put money in banks!

WoW is what it is....and yes their are other games out that are even more silly...Just not as popular, so no, you are not going to get as many people riled up.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Cause TERA is has that kind of reputation from beggining?  Like race of small girls, flashing their pants all the time? Really race of cute beavers cannot top that anyway :/  

WoW even though it was getting siller and siller with each expansion / update, not many expected whole expansion for cute kung-fu pandas. I really wonder sometimes if you're really clueless or just simply trolling :/

Besides anyway that does not even matter to be honest, well for me anyway. I just entered here cause Ogre + rage topic interested me, WoW can have next expansion with Teletubbies - I don't really care as this game was finished for me years ago.

• FrostWolfieFrostWolfie Member UncommonPosts: 54

This thread is getting a tad bit silly, so what if wow has pandas. I mean, blizzard has every other animal and crossbreed out there in the said game alredy so why not Pandas as a playable race. Its not sillier than lets say, a walking cow or a werewolf in my opinion.

Originally posted by fenistil

Cause TERA is has that kind of reputation from beggining?  Like race of small girls, flashing their pants all the time? Really race of cute beavers cannot top that anyway :/  

WoW even though it was getting siller and siller with each expansion / update, not many expected whole expansion for cute kung-fu pandas. I really wonder sometimes if you're really clueless or just simply trolling :/

Besides anyway that does not even matter to be honest, well for me anyway. I just entered here cause Ogre + rage topic interested me, WoW can have next expansion with Teletubbies - I don't really care as this game was finished for me years ago.

Clueless? I believe you are the clueless person here.

this race has a place in lore. But ofc you dont know that because you dont know a thing about Warcraft lore.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Pandaren

I dont understand how people like you can complain about something no fitting into the Lore, yet you dont even know the lore. Nothing can be more silly than your actions

• SkillCosbySkillCosby Member Posts: 684

This isn't just about Kung Fu Panda. It's about the simple fact that Panda's are cute, cuddly, and are generally hanging from the wall of a baby's room.

Ogres are known to be violent, big, and strong in other games. They won't be typecasted as a Shrek character.

The Panda was a terrible choice. I cannot believe the Blizz devs actually agreed on this. What did they think was going to happen?

You have Undead, Trolls, Elves, Dwarves, ...   Panda Bears.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by fenistil

Clueless? I believe you are the clueless person here.

this race has a place in lore. But ofc you dont know that because you dont know a thing about Warcraft lore.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Pandaren

I dont understand how people like you can complain about something no fitting into the Lore, yet you dont even know the lore. Nothing can be more silly than your actions

Now  point me where I said that Pandas do not fit in Warcaft lore. Please do. I am actually curious about basis of your accusations.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by Ausare

Kung Fu pando looks like Warcrafts Panda's...Warcraft's basic model has been out since WC3's expansion came out and in WC3 it fought with martial arts.

Wasn't it from 2006? They started on Kung fu panda 2004 already. If Samwise saw something about the movie first or not in that case is anybodys guess.

But whatever the chicken or the egg comes first, it is really panda + monk that is the problem here.

Anyways, Pandaren is the brainchild of the guy who makes the Hammerfall covers, and nothing with Hammerfall have anything to do with good taste. ;)

I think that if those pandas would have been wearing western style armor and the new class would have been "Bard" instead of "monk" people would not really have these discussions.

WC3 expansion that had the Pandas came out in 2003.

• ZenjinxZenjinx Member Posts: 328

Originally posted by precious328

This isn't just about Kung Fu Panda. It's about the simple fact that Panda's are cute, cuddly, and are generally hanging from the wall of a baby's room.

Ogres are known to be violent, big, and strong in other games. They won't be typecasted as a Shrek character.

The Panda was a terrible choice. I cannot believe the Blizz devs actually agreed on this. What did they think was going to happen?

You have Undead, Trolls, Elves, Dwarves, ...   Panda Bears.

You left out the cute ones. Gnomes. And the silly ones Cows, Space creatures, etc. I would go  as far to say, there is no character in WoW that is not somewhat cutified. Even the orcs are not at all intimidating, and look kinda cuddly.

Have you ever tried hangin a panda up over a baby? Way too heavy. Plus, just because you think pandas are cute, does not mean everyone does. Stop generalizing please.

The funny part about this argument is you think imaginary creatures are actually tougher than real life bears. I mean have you actually tried to cuddle a panda?

• DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600

I personally want to play a Pandaren monk named Po and use "Skadoosh!" as my battlle cry, maybe they will have a commercial tie in with Kung Fu Panda III and Jack Black will do a commercial for WoW where he is all like...

"I am a panda monk, a master of kung fu... now on two platforms... What's your game?" 

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

<---- Ogre is even in the logo.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • VindictusVindictus Member UncommonPosts: 49

Weez gunna barsh sum pandas!

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054

Ogres have been done in other games like Everquest and they are fine. No one in their right mind will associate an ogre with Shrek because he has very little resemblance to actual ogres. Unless you want to pull off a humoristic and childish atmosphere in your game, then pandas are not fine. Their look, their general behavior, and their diet make them a rather silly addition to a serious fantasy setting. They do not look fierce, they do not act fiercely (unless provoked insistently), and they eat BAMBOOS. But hey, it's Warcraft, and silly is its middle name..

Actually, I don't even know why I'm posting in this pointless thread...