Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Otherland seems a AWESOME mmo and totally new approach to genre!

ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Is this what we where waiting for a fresh new approach mmo?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSr15jlfOMk&feature=related

http://otherland.gamigo.com/

Its seems alot more intresting then Secret world.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
PSU:Corsair AX1200i

Comments

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

i like.  this is a good direction for MMOs to take - one avatar, multiple games/worlds.   remains to be seen how it'll pan out, but definitely interesting.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Trippy trailer, very cool.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Gamigo...

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

I saw this a few months ago. Seems really cool if it pans out.

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Looks intriguing, but more of a virtual world(s) than a game, kind of like Second Life.  How fleshed out each of those worlds actually are will be important.  Right now, I see it as more a virtual chat room to the nth degree than an MMO to be played.  I haven't researched it very deeply though.  It's just my first impression. 

I'm keeping it on my radar though.  Still looking for a Second Life type of experience without the baggage of an over-burdened engine and clumsy interface.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Originally posted by Unlight

Looks intriguing, but more of a virtual world(s) than a game, kind of like Second Life.  How fleshed out each of those worlds actually are will be important.  Right now, I see it as more a virtual chat room to the nth degree than an MMO to be played.  I haven't researched it very deeply though.  It's just my first impression. 

I'm keeping it on my radar though.  Still looking for a Second Life type of experience without the baggage of an over-burdened engine and clumsy interface.

Well, that's basically the setting of the otherland novels. An huge online world with different facets (from a regular second life style world, to more regular fantasy MMO settings and so on), where people log in with VR systems. The story starts moving when people start becoming unable to log off, their bodies ending up in a coma, and if they die in the virtual world, their real bodies die as well.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• Biggus99Biggus99 Member Posts: 916

I've seen that trailer about 5 times, and it becomes more convoluted and confusing every single time I view it, but from what I can gather, they are using the Otherland story as a way to combine basically many different types of MMO into one game.   Many different MMOs within an MMO, so to speak, with each of the different worlds representing a specific style.  Sounds like they are combining Second Life, themepark, sandbox, pvp-centric, and possibly crafting-centric MMOs all into one game by giving each world a theme?  Not 100% sure, but it seems something like that.  

I doubt I'll play this.  I think you need to pick a style and perfect it, and I don't grust Gamigo as a company that can master all these different styles of online experience and put them all in one game.  They are certain to be lacking in certain areas, and will probably lessen the experience of all of them as a result.  Seems far too ambitious for a F2P game by developer that isn't exactly known for putting out quality games.   We'll see.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

There is an overall purpose and 'game' involved beyond a neon filled chat room. Each of the worlds serves as a place to gain more experience and skills for your avatar, further fleshing it out. I don't think there's an overall bad guy though. It seems much more based on each world telling a story, and having a sandbox experience outside of those worlds.

** edit **
    Also mentioned were action based, non-targeting combat. The word sandbox crops up as well, but not so much PvP.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• grawssgrawss Member Posts: 419

I'm with Unlight here; it looks like they'll be focusing on the virtual chat room style of play. Character development is great, but I believe a lot of people require a fleshed out combat system, whether it be open (GW2, TSW) or closed (WoW, TOR). I saw no indication of a combat system any more advanced than a few hits using player-created weapons and player-created characters. This game will be awesome for people who love Second Life, but pointlessly dull for PvPers. Hopefully they release something to prove me wrong.

The graphics look awesome, not because they're the "next step" or whatever was said in the video, but because they're a perfect mix between cartoony and realistic. WoW-type graphics are fairly dated, but "realistic" graphics have always had the issue of looking worse than they are, simply because the flaws stand out due to the easier comparison between real and fake. I think cel-shading, WoW-type graphics (updated, like in Dark Millennium Online), and this type (which is like fluid claymation for the characters) are the best compromise between opening games to less-than-powerful computers but still looking great.

I'll be watching this game. I think the genre could do with a better version of Second Life, even if I have no interest in playing it. Best of luck to them. :D

Sarcasm is not a crime!

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by grawss
    I'm with Unlight here; it looks like they'll be focusing on the virtual chat room style of play. Character development is great, but I believe a lot of people require a fleshed out combat system, whether it be open (GW2, TSW) or closed (WoW, TOR). I saw no indication of a combat system any more advanced than a few hits using player-created weapons and player-created characters. This game will be awesome for people who love Second Life, but pointlessly dull for PvPers. Hopefully they release something to prove me wrong.
    The graphics look awesome, not because they're the "next step" or whatever was said in the video, but because they're a perfect mix between cartoony and realistic. WoW-type graphics are fairly dated, but "realistic" graphics have always had the issue of looking worse than they are, simply because the flaws stand out due to the easier comparison between real and fake. I think cel-shading, WoW-type graphics (updated, like in Dark Millennium Online), and this type (which is like fluid claymation for the characters) are the best compromise between opening games to less-than-powerful computers but still looking great.

I'll be watching this game. I think the genre could do with a better version of Second Life, even if I have no interest in playing it. Best of luck to them. :D

They don't seem to be focusing on PvP for the game. More PvE sandbox than PvP anything.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

http://www.mpogd.com/news/?ID=9116

Interview there. It shows up as a huge picture and isn't very easy to read (for me at least), but a bit more than half-way down there is a question about the combat system. It looks like it'll be similar to Darkfall, perhaps without the healing of enemies and other such stuff. Manual aiming on everything, etc.

Sarcasm is not a crime!

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Originally posted by grawss

http://www.mpogd.com/news/?ID=9116

Interview there. It shows up as a huge picture and isn't very easy to read (for me at least), but a bit more than half-way down there is a question about the combat system. It looks like it'll be similar to Darkfall, perhaps without the healing of enemies and other such stuff. Manual aiming on everything, etc.

An interesting interview - kind of funny how much 2ndL discussion there was here - much like they say they're surprised about in the interview, since it is not 2ndL in the least according to them.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

Another: http://pc.ign.com/articles/118/1187781p2.html

Interesting. So it'll be somewhat like a mix between Guild Wars 2 and Darkfall?

"IGN: What kinds of skill do you have in the game and how do they develop? Are there character classes in the game?

Andrew Carter:
    The player has two distinct sets of skills, weapon-based and player-based. All weapons come with attacks and special abilities built-in. This means that each weapon the player equips brings with a new capabilities.

Players can also equip weapons from a different class, allowing for example, a close-range melee fighter to equip long-range weapons if they wish. This allows the player to create a mixed Class character that still has a specialty. However, there is a stat penalty for off-Class weapons.

Finally each Class has a set of abilities that are independent of the equipped weapon that allow them to perform special actions unique to that Class.

Skills are developed by leveling up and forging or acquiring enhancements that increase the abilities of the weapons and gear.

IGN: Would you say Otherland is primarily about combat? Or more about social interaction? What types of social-only activities are in the game?

Andrew Carter:
    Otherland is primarily about combat, questing, exploration, evolution and growth. At its core, it is an MMO game in the fairly traditional sense but with three key new features, eDNA, Myland and Multiverse. Having said that the game does feature a large location at it's center called Lambda Mall, which is designed to be the games social, shopping, story and casual game hub.
    "

Sarcasm is not a crime!

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

^ Those articles make it sound too good to be true, for lack of a better phrase.

Not saying it can't happen, but that's a LOT of dream to turn into reality in this genre...

I hope they prove me wrong though :) It looks awesome to me.

• FilburFilbur Member UncommonPosts: 254

Here is another interview from wednesday:

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/interviews/62697/Otherland-Interview

In the video we see a player harvesting eDNA. Extract it, collect it, wear it, fight with it. Will eDNA be used as part of a crafting system? Currency maybe?

Patrick Streppel: eDNA is not a currency and neither is it a resource for crafting (though there are other resources for that), but it allows the player to harvest NPCs and NPC abilities. After collecting a certain amount of eDNA, players can adopt the look and behavior of NPCs and eventually even “clone” them to place them in their MyLand, which is their own virtual space. The MyLand system is more than a typical housing and plays a vital role in PVP – explore and develop your own MyLand, harvest the resources inside and then defend it against other players. And finally merge it with those of other users to create a massive ClanLand that can even equal the size of a game world.

Does Otherland use an experience-based level up system?

Patrick Streppel: Yes, Otherland is a full MMORPG and has typical level up systems based on XP. Levels, however, do not unlock skill points but grant more “memory” for abilities that are acquired over the course of the game. On top of that players also level up their MyLand, increasing its size and uncovering new exciting things in it.

As far as combat goes, what will the citizens of Otherland be fighting for? Is there a specific war brewing in the storyline? Combat serves the immediate purpose of leveling up and defeating others in PvP but of course the game story is closely connected to the quests and the surrounding battles. For example, the world of EightSquared is at war, with the white and red army fighting each other. You’ll have to take a side here, but isn’t that war a setup for something much bigger?

Will the game focus on PvP, PvE, both? Will there be raiding?

Patrick Streppel: Otherland is a fully fledged MMORPG and thus features PvE and PvP equally to satisfy different gamer needs. The PvE content is substantial with huge worlds to explore and hundreds of story-driven quests, based on the overall story arc.

As mentioned before PvP is partly driven by the MyLand system. Apart from PvP zones in the game world, players are able to visit other players’ MyLands once they obtain their portal address. As well as friendly visits, this allows for the stealing of resources, if the defensive systems can be beaten. Furthermore an attacked player can call in his friends for help, eventually resulting even in bigger clan wars.

In terms of PvE raids, we are planning several instances which are only beatable by groups of experienced players, but long-term gameplay is surely in the conquering of individual MyLands.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Nope i stopped the vide as soon as i saw GAMIGO.We are talking f2p gaming here,which means cash shop and therefor cheap over all gaming.

I also did a lot of reasearch back in my Lineage days ,because i was convinved the RMT were working with certain L2 staff.I found after a lot of research Gamigo was running the gm support and so happens were tied in all the worst rmt games.Also every single one of their games used that same anti hack program that NEVER worked and ALL the rmt operation knew exactly how to get around it...go figure.

I will NEVER support another cash shop game, idon't care if i never play another mmo again.Gamigo is real high on my never to play list.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

Looks like Lego Universe for adults.

Thats not a dis btw. Lego Universe is actually one of the most enjoyable MMO's atm.

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468
  • ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

It seems to me a whole new approach plus looks good and i hope for best, we realy need some daring new games that are different then the HUGE BULK we have now on market. Future will tell if its realy a intresting game to play or just another cheap social crap game with item malls and socializing second life game.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Having read a bit more about it, I can see that they do intend to have actual game content rather than just let it sit as a super sparkly chat room.  I'm not sure really if want that.  I was actually hoping this would be SL MkII because I think there's a niche that exists that needs to be filled.  I'm not so thrilled at the idea of it actually running as a game because I don't have that much confidence in the developer to deliver solid, engaging gameplay.  Also, I question how much depth they can offer *for free* with such diverse worlds that they need to populate and flesh out.

Still, I'm keeping it on my radar, but I think I'll be evaluating it more on its social aspects rather than its gameability.  There are some top notch MMOs out there, or more particularly, soon to be out there.  I'll be pinning my gaming hopes on them instead of Otherland.  But I will be keen to explore OL for many other reasons.  It reminds me a lot of Cyberpunk 2020's version of The Net, which is enough for me to keep my hopes up and my fingers crossed.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

The trailer definitely looks intriguing, but leaves too many questions as to what the gameplay is like, or even what sort of game it is. Too much speculation in this thread, when really, who knows.  Could be any number of things, gameplay wise.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Intriguing trailer.  However, 2 things are a negative for me.  1.  The Second Life aspect.  I can't stand Second Life in any way shape or form and this seems to have a plethora of similarities to Second Life.  If it's just one "world" of many than ok, I'll just skip it if possible.  If not, count me out.  2.  The books are, for me at least and a few others I've asked who've read them, are confusing and long winded.  I got bored reading the first book as I felt no attachment to the characters and story in any way shape or form. Maybe this game will help decipher the books better, but I'm not sure.  Even the trailer had me scratching my head.  I'll give it a shot, but just wanted to get my 2 points out there.