Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Gamestop email advert: Play Skyrim now!

UhwopUhwop Wilm, DEPosts: 1,663Member Uncommon

Anyone else get this email from gamestop? 

There's an advert for Skyrim in the email, and at the bottom of it it says PLAY NOW. 

I figured it was a demo of the game for the PC or something, so I click the link and it sends me to Kongregate.com, a free online gaming site. 

Turns out, you can't play Skyrim.  It's a flash based card game, that isn't even made by Bethesda, and doesn't really look like it has anything to do with Skyrim.  If you click the link to buy Skyrim on Kongregat.com it take you to gamestop.com to purchase the game.  I'm guessing that gamestop has something to do with kongregate.com and used Skyrim to generate traffic to the site.

Isn't putting Play now under an advert for a game, and not being able to play that game, false advertisement? 

Anyone else see this advert?  What are your thoughts on a company doing stuff like this?

 

Comments

  • romerokromerok ZwoPosts: 104Member

    Sue them! 

     

    On a more serious note, People, companies do that kind of stuff. Just laugh about it and perhaps throw them a warning about their violation in a kind email. 

     

    "You resist. You cling to your life as if it actually matters. You will learn."

  • UhwopUhwop Wilm, DEPosts: 1,663Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by romerok

    Sue them! 

     

    On a more serious note, People, companies do that kind of stuff. Just laugh about it and perhaps throw them a warning about their violation in a kind email. 

     

    Sorry, I should have said it in the OP.

    I found it funny.  It was a WTF moment.  First time I've ever seen something like that.  My girlfriend actually forwarded the email to me because of the play now thing with Skyrim.

  • RobsolfRobsolf Grand Rapids, MIPosts: 4,249Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by Uhwop

    Anyone else get this email from gamestop? 

    There's an advert for Skyrim in the email, and at the bottom of it it says PLAY NOW. 

    I figured it was a demo of the game for the PC or something, so I click the link and it sends me to Kongregate.com, a free online gaming site. 

    Turns out, you can't play Skyrim.  It's a flash based card game, that isn't even made by Bethesda, and doesn't really look like it has anything to do with Skyrim.  If you click the link to buy Skyrim on Kongregat.com it take you to gamestop.com to purchase the game.  I'm guessing that gamestop has something to do with kongregate.com and used Skyrim to generate traffic to the site.

    Isn't putting Play now under an advert for a game, and not being able to play that game, false advertisement? 

    Anyone else see this advert?  What are your thoughts on a company doing stuff like this?

     

    I haven't seen it, but you may want to run an anti-malware, anti-virus scan.  If a company is low enough to do that, they may be low enough to see if they can't snag their "phish" another way.

  • UhwopUhwop Wilm, DEPosts: 1,663Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by Robsolf

    Originally posted by Uhwop

    Anyone else get this email from gamestop? 

    There's an advert for Skyrim in the email, and at the bottom of it it says PLAY NOW. 

    I figured it was a demo of the game for the PC or something, so I click the link and it sends me to Kongregate.com, a free online gaming site. 

    Turns out, you can't play Skyrim.  It's a flash based card game, that isn't even made by Bethesda, and doesn't really look like it has anything to do with Skyrim.  If you click the link to buy Skyrim on Kongregat.com it take you to gamestop.com to purchase the game.  I'm guessing that gamestop has something to do with kongregate.com and used Skyrim to generate traffic to the site.

    Isn't putting Play now under an advert for a game, and not being able to play that game, false advertisement? 

    Anyone else see this advert?  What are your thoughts on a company doing stuff like this?

     

    I haven't seen it, but you may want to run an anti-malware, anti-virus scan.  If a company is low enough to do that, they may be low enough to see if they can't snag their "phish" another way.

    The sites fine and legit.  I think it's just gamestop trying to generate traffic to a site they're either affiliated with in some way, or has worked out a deal to funnell traffic to. 

    I gotta wonder if Bethesda had anything to do with the card game, as in giving permission for it to be made.  The game itself doesn't mention Oblivion, Skyrim, or Zenimax/ Bethesda anywhere in it, and it's made by Wild Donkey LLC or some such company. 

    I can't imagine the number of hits they're getting.

  • TalinTalin West Babylon, NYPosts: 824Member

    It would be interesting to see a screenshot of the email in question attached here, with all sensitive personal data blacked out.

  • UhwopUhwop Wilm, DEPosts: 1,663Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by Talin

    It would be interesting to see a screenshot of the email in question attached here, with all sensitive personal data blacked out.

    If you can tell me how to do it, I'll be happy to do that. 

    PS: I just hopped over to gamestops site to see if they had it advertised there, and I noticed a Kongregate tab at the top, next to a gameinformer tab.  I guess it is just gamestop trying to generate traffic to Kongregate.

  • blackcat35blackcat35 Lake Orion, MIPosts: 479Member

    I'd be careful what websites you are hitting.  I have certain rules in place to make sure bad websites I cannot even reach.  I normally ignore adverts.  If I'm interested in a game, I do my own research.  I don't like pushy emails either.  I am liable to not buy something if someone tells me to buy now.  For instance, I don't put any money to a game ahead of time.  I almost never prepay for a game, or even put any money down on it.  If I'm interested in the game, I'll get it when it hits a reasonable price range.  I almost always overpay for games, but I don't pay over $50 for a game.  Its just what I'm comfortable with.  If the game is over-priced, I wait until it goes down.  I remember paying premium $40 or $50 for battlefield 2, few years later, I see it in the store for $20, and like, jeez, should of paid less.  I'm sure its probably down to $10 now or less.  You can reserve a copy of a game without buying the game for like $5 or $10, if your really interested in it.  I did that with a game, and turned out it was released as a BETA.  This game was ELEMENTALS:  WAR OF MAGIC.

     

    I was hoping it was going to be like Master of Magic, but it wasn't.   Limited spells, limited production, limited overall.....The concept was to create a dynasty or copy Medieval 2, but instead it was okay in its own right, but not really similiar enough to Master of Magic.  When I mentioned the game and what happened to a Gamestop Employee, he was willing to let me return the game, I was like, don't worry about it.  I'll just wait until they patch it enough to finally be worth playing.  Its slowly improving.

     

    These are the people who made Galactic Civilizations 2, so the game will keep improving.

    Any spam you are getting, move it to your spam folder.  I wouldn't copy and paste any emails on here.  No point in spreading this.....If you want to buy a game, don't click an email, go to the website yourself.

     

    People should stop prepaying for games that aren't released yet.  You never know if the game is going to be an Alpha or a Beta.  Buyer Beware.

     

     

    ==========================
    The game is dead not, this game is good we make it and Romania Tv give it 5 goat heads, this is good rating for game.

Sign In or Register to comment.