Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

F2P?

Max_StrikerMax_Striker Member UncommonPosts: 263

I used to play COH/COV and I was happy to know it was going F2P. I downloaded and logged into the game and for my surprise I saw all my characters were locked unless I pay a lot of $. What the hell!! Free to play? You know what, I could pay but  I definitely won't gime a cent to a bunch of liers who only tried to fool old customers. I have paid subscription for a long time and now that the game is supposed to go free they want to take more money from the ones that have supported them while the game was not free.

Screw them!

Comments

• wyldmagikwyldmagik Member UncommonPosts: 516

No no no...

The game has gone to a "also" free to play model" the subscription based still exists ffs..

You can not expect to play the f2p model with characters you used to field with a subscription.. Yes its not great that they dont let that happen, but with all the stuff you have on those toons, these are items and skill sets etc that are unlocked with a sub account, the f2p model one does not allow you to have such hence its a "f2p model"

understand this now? :D

also what is "a lot of $" im not sure how they do this, I thought it was VIP upgrade to a sub say $8.99 or whatever it was and then you characters would be unlocked and Going rogue would be available.?

• Joshua69Joshua69 Member UncommonPosts: 953

Some class's are locked and you have to pay to unlock them. You should automatically start with like, 6 chracter slots to unlock for free. I payed 15$ to get my Controller unlocked, and now I never havta give them $$ again.

Originally posted by Joshua69

Some class's are locked and you have to pay to unlock them. You should automatically start with like, 6 chracter slots to unlock for free. I payed 15$ to get my Controller unlocked, and now I never havta give them $$ again.

please for everyone and myself that does not see how that is working, can you explain a bit more why it cost 15 bucks the way you portrayed it? I mean like is it a sub you used there or did u pay a certain amount to unlock down to your say "8th" character slot because it was only way to get it unlocked, like pay for all ones above you had used to get to it,,?

er yeah im sure you see what im saying :D

• Max_StrikerMax_Striker Member UncommonPosts: 263

The thing is I have played a lot before and I have at least 8 characters lvl 50 and a few lower lvl, do you know how much they want me to pay to unlock tehm all? Seriously this is ridiculous, so I can play but I can't use any of  the characters I have paid many months to build before. If you agree go ahead I won't.

Originally posted by paulocafalli

The thing is I have played a lot before and I have at least 8 characters lvl 50 and a few lower lvl, do you know how much they want me to pay to unlock tehm all? Seriously this is ridiculous, so I can play but I can't use any of  the characters I have paid many months to build before. If you agree go ahead I won't.

No we dont know because you keep avoiding telling the amount lol.. are you saying they wont let u unlock you're account and all the toons if you re sub? and that you have to do the toons individually even if you were VIP?

• VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466

I used to play COH/COV and I was happy to know it was going F2P. I downloaded and logged into the game and for my surprise I saw all my characters were locked unless I pay a lot of $. What the hell!! Free to play? You know what, I could pay but  I definitely won't gime a cent to a bunch of liers who only tried to fool old customers. I have paid subscription for a long time and now that the game is supposed to go free they want to take more money from the ones that have supported them while the game was not free.

Screw them!

Listen friend, as i can see you are new to free to play games, then let me explain that free to play is equal as Demo, you play a limited content without paying, but for a full game experience you must pay the monthly sub  the game had for years. Its not eaither tricky or hard to understand so... come on friend and dont nerdrage relly on me, this is the way of f2p games, you can take it or leave it, Peace.

Edit: and please dont think that you need to pay Cash for EACH premium class, just pay the monthly sub is way cheaper of course. unless you want only 1 class to play.

Alright I have 14 characters, it's about US$ 15.00 per character so ... about US$ 210.00 to play a game that was supposed to be free now. And the thing that really bothers me most is that I have paid many many months and I have to pay a lot more to enjoy the game than new players that will only play it for free. Is that fair really?

Alright I have 14 characters, it's about US$ 15.00 per character so ... about US$ 210.00 to play a game that was supposed to be free now. And the thing that really bothers me most is that I have paid many many months and I have to pay a lot more to enjoy the game than new players that will only play it for free. Is that fair really?

This makes no sense you must be either really not understanding or just trolling :D

Just pay the sub its easier and you get access to full content and your toons... job done.. if u dont like it after a mnth you have only spent £15.00 for that mnth ( i think thats right for usa )

Please someone correct me if I am wrong, but the old brain is starting to ache now with this guy :D

Originally posted by Varthander

Screw them!

Listen friend, as i can see you are new to free to play games, then let me explain that free to play is equal as Demo, you play a limited content without paying, but for a full game experience you must pay the monthly sub  the game had for years. Its not eaither tricky or hard to understand so... come on friend and dont nerdrage relly on me, this is the way of f2p games, you can take it or leave it, Peace.

Edit: and please dont think that you need to pay Cash for EACH premium class, just pay the monthly sub is way cheaper of course. unless you want only 1 class to play.

Now you listen, maybe you are the new one for F2P, I've been playing Atlantica Online and other F2P games and I don't have to pay anything to have full access to the game. Besides I would even spend some money on the store of COX to have some new items and stuff but pay to use characters I have already paid to build before, THAT IS RIDICULOUS!

That's the only thing, I logged into the game and everything I had, everything I have paid before to build is locked unless I pay to use them or if I pay a subscription, that's not F2P at all!!

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

If all those characters are locked, then its the class you need to unlock. Like others mentioned you shouldve 6 slots available to you. More even if you have enough paragon tokens from former subbed time. Also, classes like Mastermind and Controller can also be unlocked through the veteran system. But this is only if you were subbed long enough to the game.

So either you are greatly exaggerating, or you havent been subbed long to the game.

Have you tried just selecting a locked character you want to use and see if you get the prompts when trying to login with it? I think I read ages ago that you should get some prompts to accept about using unlocks for them.

The main forum info on this is all over the place, alot of it is very er what? huh? and wtf is he saying? type stuff, The info is all there how it works its just very over explained if you ask me, which can lead to brain confusion :D

So if you were to start freedom and then sub ( v i p ) you get all what the people bought previous with wonga ( accept any characters you already had of course before f2p ) and can continue like you had been a buying game/expansion player?

seems a bit rude really if so hehe, but still if this is the case I might sub just to play a mastermind, it seems fun and heard lots of good things about it.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Screw them!

Sure they're ALL locked?

Mine were all locked, but I had 5 tokens I could spend to unlock them.  Which I did.  Seems to be some bug that locks things up if you try to unlock 2 at a time, though.

Edit:  I had no issues unlocking any of mine... maybe I just got lucky on the classes? 

OP has 14 characters... expects to be able to play them all for free.

/epic facepalm...

• hehenephehenep Member UncommonPosts: 221

I just checked the in-game store.  Character slots are $6 for 1 slot, $8 for 2 slots and $20 for 5 slots.  That's much less than $15 per character.  You should start with 2 free slots, have one extra slot for each year you were a subscriber, and 2 bonus slots if you bought Going Rogue before Freedom went live.

Also, unless you only played controllers, masterminds and the 'epic' ATs (which is somewhat unlikely but certainly possible)  you should be able to unlock a couple of your characters at least.  If you look up on the top left of the character select screen you should see some text that says 'Global Slots'.  That lets you know how many characters you can unlock and as long as you actually have the slots then the only barrier should be if you have the AT unlocked or not ($15 for mastemind or controller and $12.50 for the 'epic' ATs).  If the latter is the case then you only need to unlock the AT once, not for each character.

By the way, if it's the mastermind and controller thing that's keeping your characters locked, before unlocking them (assuming you want to) check your paragon rewards tokens first.  If you're close to 13 tokens (like 2 away) buy the tokens but don't unlock the ATs.  Filling up the tier 5 level of paragon rewards unlocks those two ATs automatically and you'll get 2 tokens for buying $15 of points.  So buy the points and spend them on something else in the store you might want (like character slots for unlocking more of your characters).

• NicoliNicoli Member Posts: 1,312

IF you have subscriped for any length of time you will be credited that time under the new F2P program, You will get tokens to unlock things, and other things based on how long you subscribed. While I don't know how far up thier "tier" system you are to give you specifcs you should be able to get a good section of character slots to unlock which can be used for previous characters. The "premium" classes unlock at certain tiers so you can possibly play those with out having to pay extra for the priviliage.

The number of characters you can unlock should be listed in the upper left corner of the character selection screen if you log in. don't forget to use the tokens which are in the upper right corner the buttone with the fireworks/shooting stars.

• therain93therain93 Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Just quoting myself from another thread, because it's easier......

Originally posted by therain93

Originally posted by azrael466

I only PAID for a month. However, i used "free months" from different things i got from here, as i said before. I played for, i forget, i have a horrible memory, It was atlest 3 or 4.

So, Paragon rewards aren't based on paid time, but subscription time (as well as points purchased, but that is irrelevant here). The difference is that subscription time includes free time in the box as well time earned for referrals. To figure things out, you need to actually log into the game client, click on a server and then look at that top blue bar:

In box 1, it notes global slots -- free and premium players get a base 2 slots, plus 1 for every year subscribed, plus anything you prevoiusly bought plus 2 if you subscribed during issue 13 (veats), plus 2 if you had going rogue attached to your account before Freedom launched. Those global slots are used to unlock character slots on the servers. It's a fixed number, so you have to be thoughtful where you use them. Subscribers get a base 12 per server plus any more based on the criteria I noted above.

Box 2 is unspent tokens. You earn tokens for subscription time, purchases in the paragon market, and if you ever purchased a box. The subscription time to token calculation before Freedom launched was 1 token for every 3 months plus 1 token for each year. Since freedom launched, it's 1 token for every month subscribed.

The tokens are basically a loyalty rewards/carot to spend money. If you click on the token button, you'll get this screen:

And you can plug tokens in in any order on a given tier, but you must complete an entire tier. Hovering over the slots identifies what you'll get.

Now, for those who bought boxes in the past -- you had to pay subtime to play the game fully. At this juncture, you can play most of the game without a sub, so complaining that you cannot play all of it, regardless of what box you bought is a moot point. If you want to play the entire game, then subscribe/buy points. The point of the freedom model is that you can essentially decide how much you want to pay -- $15/month or perhaps only $1/month, or pay nothing it all. The fact is that, no, you don't have to buy the game again.

• gandalesgandales Member UncommonPosts: 472

While I am not into CoH anymore I have to say that their model is pretty well designed. The design principles are still arguable and I whether I like the or not the model makes sense for them.

1. In most freemium subscriber is king, in CoH is the Emperor.  Not only they get everything that non-subscribers get but also key content for endgame like incarnates is subscriber-only thing.

2. Premium players gets rewarded by subscription time but you can achieve the level of unlocks you want by subscribing for more months or buying stuff. Which is fine for long time runners and/or low-requirement players.

3. Freeloaders live in hell. The limitations are pretty severe in areas like chatting, crafting, sgs, market.

Imho, Paragon is not looking for new players but rather getting back former players. It is a decent strategy, succesful? only time will say

• therain93therain93 Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Originally posted by gandales

While I am not into CoH anymore I have to say that their model is pretty well designed. The design principles are still arguable and I whether I like the or not the model makes sense for them.

1. In most freemium subscriber is king, in CoH is the Emperor.  Not only they get everything that non-subscribers get but also key content for endgame like incarnates is subscriber-only thing.

2. Premium players gets rewarded by subscription time but you can achieve the level of unlocks you want by subscribing for more months or buying stuff. Which is fine for long time runners and/or low-requirement players.

3. Freeloaders live in hell. The limitations are pretty severe in areas like chatting, crafting, sgs, market.

Imho, Paragon is not looking for new players but rather getting back former players. It is a decent strategy, succesful? only time will say

I agree with your points (especially that subsriber is emperor), but not necessarily your conclusion that Pargon is not looking for new subscribers.  The goal is to show off the game to more people and convert free players into Premium/Subscribers. 

How?

1.  Subscriber is Emperor, as you state.....look at all of the awesome that they get....Free access eliminates the historical barrier to entry that a box sale and subscription instantly created -- basically it eliminates the reservation associated with a  blind-buy.

2.  Premiums keep purchases and rewards....meaning one-time buys and short-term subscriptions have value even after not subscribing.  It adds value and can decrease the perceived cost if you can stretch the life of the game out beyond the subscription time.

3.  Free Players can mitigate the tell and sg issues with a one-time $5.00 purchase.  By the way, they also unlock Trench Coats with that $5.00 as a reward that will be available forever. Not only is that inexpensive, but it instantly creates that association of buying small things is good, possibly plants the seeds of what else to buy/how much more should I buy before subscribing is worthwhile, AND illustrates how value extends beyond subscription time.

It's diabolically genius.

• gandalesgandales Member UncommonPosts: 472

Originally posted by therain93

Originally posted by gandales

I agree with your points (especially that subsriber is emperor), but not necessarily your conclusion that Pargon is not looking for new subscribers.  The goal is to show off the game to more people and convert free players into Premium/Subscribers. 

How?

1.  Subscriber is Emperor, as you state.....look at all of the awesome that they get....Free access eliminates the historical barrier to entry that a box sale and subscription instantly created -- basically it eliminates the reservation associated with a  blind-buy.

2.  Premiums keep purchases and rewards....meaning one-time buys and short-term subscriptions have value even after not subscribing.  It adds value and can decrease the perceived cost if you can stretch the life of the game out beyond the subscription time.

3.  Free Players can mitigate the tell and sg issues with a one-time $5.00 purchase.  By the way, they also unlock Trench Coats with that $5.00 as a reward that will be available forever. Not only is that inexpensive, but it instantly creates that association of buying small things is good, possibly plants the seeds of what else to buy/how much more should I buy before subscribing is worthwhile, AND illustrates how value extends beyond subscription time.

It's diabolically genius.

Something you are mising is the free player inertia to pay. Freeloaders tends to fill space in a game to make look lively, so an important characteristic of a freemium model is what can a player do without paying any money. Players wants to put money because they want to not because they have to.

• AbyeAbye Member Posts: 53

IMHO Turbine had a better hand at splitting the free and the paid content enticing players that checked the game out to buy stuff. As a returning player I only saw that my favourite characters were locked and then I immediately lost some drive to actually play again.

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

I dunno, I think this model is pretty fair.

Sure, you are limited to only 2 character slots across all servers, and they are $6 to add another slot, which isn't cheap.

But LOTRO makes you pay for quests once you get past level 25. In this, it's free all the way to the cap. The only quests that are locked are the Going Rogue stuff and the story arcs, which are new quests every month (and free to subscribers).

It's also ironic that the OP cites Atlantica as a fair game, a game which just introduced a $100 mount and outfit combo that has by far the best stats in the game (and so probably necessary for high level play...)

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there