Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria Interview

Comments

• DrSpankyDrSpanky Member Posts: 341

I ain't gonna lie, I really want to play a panda monk.

I just don't know if I want to play WOW again.

I had a great time in wow, but it's time has passed for me.

It's a proven historical fact that beer saved humankind.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

So a big bull can be a race and stupid rasta mon troll with large teeth is fine but Pandas are the end of the world?

People need to just learn to enjoy things. This expansions sounds pretty nice, glad to see them not focusing strictly on the dungeon raid progression for once.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by dreamscaper

The unreasonable hate leveled at the Pandarens is so annoying. I didn't buy Cata, but I may give MoP a shot.

Agreed, I can understand if people are upset just when they hear it, pandas are rather silly but this is way out of line.

I think the panda and Pokemon ideas are both rather silly but if you can't stand it, just quit. There are other games out there both my little pony cute alá freerealms and tera and gritty bloody game like AoC. 

But the topic is getting way out of hand now, everybody do have the right to say there opinion but doing so many times just leads to flamewars that accomplish nothing at all.

It also totally taken the discussion away of all the other features of the expansion.

If you don't like it, just quit ASAP. If enough people will do, Blizzard will change their mind. If they notice something is going too far they ain't afraid of fixing it,m that is why SC: Ghost never released even though the game was ready to go go gold when they cancelled it. Forum rage wont accomplish that however, lost accounts is another matter.

Making 200 posts about the same thing ain't helping anyone.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Fendel84M

So a big bull can be a race and stupid rasta mon troll with large teeth is fine but Pandas are the end of the world?

People need to just learn to enjoy things. This expansions sounds pretty nice, glad to see them not focusing strictly on the dungeon raid progression for once.

Minotaurs and trolls have old mythological roots, both are thousads of years old, minotaurs from Greece and trolls from Scandinavia.

Panda fighters might appear in some old Chinese folk story but none I ever heard about which means that most likely are comming from Ranma 1/2. While they did a weird appearance in WC3 the debate at the time were also hot at times.

We can discuss just how Wow makes the trolls and minotaurs, the trolls are pretty pathetic to a norse like me, but the issue if they fit in the warcraft lore or not is still different from those 2 others. Particualarly the trolls who have been in since the first Warcraft game long ago.

Personally however, the thing that sticks to my eyes is really the art. The focused on making the pandas cute and furry (big teeths or not) and the buildings and backgrounds are actually ugly. Wows art were the best out there when Wow launched in late 2004, now it is a lot worse. And that is bad news, great art can let older games look more new.

It seems to me that Blizz best artists work on Titan and Diablo 3 nowadays.

• TrevekTrevek Member Posts: 17

I NEVER post, here or any forums really.  However, this expansion made my jaw drop.  Hanging up WoW for good.  I don't think I could pick up a copy of a game with a big furry panda on it at the store, and keep a straight face or my pride.  Not at age 28.....they have lost sight of their old target audience, and are now scraping for something else.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by reanor

Originally posted by Neverdyne

I don't get why people think WoW is doing an Asian themed expansion because of its playerbase in China. The fact is, Asian style architecture and culture is very distinct from ours, and gives a whole new flavor to games. Many MMOs have done Asian themed expansions, from Age of Conan to Everquest; why can't WoW? It adds to the diversity of styles in the game. I didn't see anyone complain when WotLK had a huge Nordic influence. 

They hope on Chinese players because all the Americans, German, French are looking forward to SWTOR. Its obvious logic. Blizzard knows that a LOT of people will switch to SWTOR for at least a month to see whats what and take abreak. And to still accumulate the funds they need to keep their WoW car running, so they are releasing expansion centered on Asian players which in WoW are few millions.

ToR starts in Dec this year.  MoP isn't likely to launch until late summer, fall NEXT year.  I doubt that Blizzard really cares about ToR at this point in their cycle.  As for the focus, of course it makes sense from a business stand point. Blizzard could lose all of its NA and European players and still have millions and millions in Asia.  Not to mention cash shops are considered normal in Asia. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Carebears and pokemon is what we get next expansion...

Will be painfull to see what will happen in 2012 when Swtor and GW2 hit the shelves.

I for one cannot wait for GW2 , they took a wrong turn in my book and i refuse to play alongside Kung fu Panda's -_-

Hyyyyyyyaaaaaaaaawhaaaaaaaaaaatjaaaaaaaaaaaaaa !!!!!!!! -_- ?!?!?! iam to old for this ^^

Originally posted by Trevek

I NEVER post, here or any forums really.  However, this expansion made my jaw drop.  Hanging up WoW for good.  I don't think I could pick up a copy of a game with a big furry panda on it at the store, and keep a straight face or my pride.  Not at age 28.....they have lost sight of their old target audience, and are now scraping for something else.

To each their own. I'm well into my 60's and I have no problem with panda monks and such.  I certainly do not link my personal pride or self respect to a game.  Its just an entertaining hobby to me.  

Personally, I'm not at all surprised that Blizzard would make this expansion Asian focused.  The 21st century is after all China's (as the 20th was America's), and their market is huge and growing larger all the time. 

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

Originally posted by Mothanos

Will be painfull to see what will happen in 2012 when Swtor and GW2 hit the shelves.

I for one cannot wait for GW2 , they took a wrong turn in my book and i refuse to play alongside Kung fu Panda's -_-

Hyyyyyyyaaaaaaaaawhaaaaaaaaaaatjaaaaaaaaaaaaaa !!!!!!!! -_- ?!?!?! iam to old for this ^^

But you are not too old for cute race like Asura? yeah right.

• mmoandrpgmmoandrpg Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 15

I think  Rob Foote buries some facts,  http://www.dotmmo.com/mists-of-pandaria-5262.html

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by dreamscaper

The unreasonable hate leveled at the Pandarens is so annoying. I didn't buy Cata, but I may give MoP a shot.

Agreed, I can understand if people are upset just when they hear it, pandas are rather silly but this is way out of line.

I think the panda and Pokemon ideas are both rather silly but if you can't stand it, just quit. There are other games out there both my little pony cute alá freerealms and tera and gritty bloody game like AoC. 

But the topic is getting way out of hand now, everybody do have the right to say there opinion but doing so many times just leads to flamewars that accomplish nothing at all.

It also totally taken the discussion away of all the other features of the expansion.

If you don't like it, just quit ASAP. If enough people will do, Blizzard will change their mind. If they notice something is going too far they ain't afraid of fixing it,m that is why SC: Ghost never released even though the game was ready to go go gold when they cancelled it. Forum rage wont accomplish that however, lost accounts is another matter.

Making 200 posts about the same thing ain't helping anyone.

Pandas are ok, but doesn't seem enough to base a whole expansion on. 

For example, what they should have done is focus it on something awesome (sea monsters from the deep invading coastal towns + wonderful stories / mysteries, described using dialogue - not writing etc) and then mention Panda monks as a 'by the way'.

• OkhamsRazorOkhamsRazor Member Posts: 1,047

Minotaurs and trolls have old mythological roots, both are thousads of years old, minotaurs from Greece and trolls from Scandinavia.

Panda fighters might appear in some old Chinese folk story but none I ever heard about which means that most likely are comming from Ranma 1/2. While they did a weird appearance in WC3 the debate at the time were also hot at times.

We can discuss just how Wow makes the trolls and minotaurs, the trolls are pretty pathetic to a norse like me, but the issue if they fit in the warcraft lore or not is still different from those 2 others. Particualarly the trolls who have been in since the first Warcraft game long ago.

Personally however, the thing that sticks to my eyes is really the art. The focused on making the pandas cute and furry (big teeths or not) and the buildings and backgrounds are actually ugly. Wows art were the best out there when Wow launched in late 2004, now it is a lot worse. And that is bad news, great art can let older games look more new.

I can't find any reference however loose to panda people anywhere on the net . Believe me I've been looking . The vast other races in Warcraft seam to be based on western Myth and Legend and have some corresponding god or goddess . Pandas simply don't fit well into a traditional fantasy setting in this respect . Blizzard can do what they want it is thier lore after all but it doesn't mean they can do what they want and for people to accept it en mass . You just have to look at the massive amount of negativity we've seen since the news about this expansion.

If it is indeed in development and a year away . I have a piece of advice for Blizzard . Cancel it . This will only end badly for you .And if your a fan and feel some sort need to protect the game but secretly hate the idea . I would get vocal about it pretty darn quick because you arn't protecting anything because if MOP is released it will be a disater for the game .

We can put a name to the WoW-Killer now . Its called Mists of Pandaria.

• NirwylNirwyl Member Posts: 103

I am still having a hard time believing this. When I first heard about this it was in the form of a joke/rumor, and I took it to be just that, a joke. Now if it isn't a joke, I don't really understand Blizzard's thinking here. More races and classes are always a good thing, but basing an entire expansion around... pandas. That seems like a pretty big gamble.

Not to say I hate pandas. I really love the movie Kung Fu Panda, and the idea of playing one does hold a certain childish goofish appeal, for about two minutes. But I don't know. Part of me says this must all be a really big joke, because Blizzard couldn't be that dumb right? Then another part of me thinks this is exactly what they want to do, appeal to a younger audience so they can continue slowly switching to a F2P model.

• CandombleCandomble Member UncommonPosts: 164

Originally posted by Kelthius

"The Brew Master has the Drunken Stance, and it opens up a whole slew of new animations. In fact, the entire class is new animations. In other classes, you may have about ten spells all using the same basic character animation with just a different effect."

Everytime a new race comes out they make the old races look old as dirt. Now they're making a class with a different animation for each ability. They need to update models and animations for everything, not just a couple of races or a single class.

Exactly what I thought when I read it. Some "old" races skins, animations, enviroments should have been polished in the last years...

However to me it's all ok because I cancelled my sub 8 months ago and the more time passes, the less are the chances to go back; and the Panda stuff even pushes me more and more away from this game, although I am sure that my 2 year old kid would love to watch dad playing a Panda; as a matter of fact his favourite TV channel is Panda Channel and he loves a big Panda that comes around  singing every 15-20 min... He even has a Panda plush...

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

I came to the conclusion many years ago WOW is a good game. but it's getting changed for the younger crowd. Still a great starter MMO for people that are new to MMOs and mom and dads and kids can enjoy . it will go fully free to play one of these days.

It's just not my cup of tea. I will be playing TOR but even they will go all childish one of these years. 

I wish blizz well it seems they know the trends better and are padding the game for those changes.

• CandombleCandomble Member UncommonPosts: 164

Originally posted by Supersoups

Originally posted by Mothanos

But you are not too old for cute race like Asura? yeah right.

I must say that many of GW2 races, with Asura on the head, are a big problem to me.

To me GW2 will only be valuable if it delivers some of the changes / innovations that they claim they have. Otherwise I am out of that also.

Asura remind me of the mogway / gremlin creatures... 

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759

I read a post somewhere that Blizz is testing out raid locks unlocking twice a week.... in china and korea (of all places). If it does well there they are releasing it out to all servers on WoW. Now with the kung fu panda exploit, for me, it confirms they are going asian with thier intent and content. The western world is being overshadowed by the money they see coming out of Asia. Blizz remember one thing.... China is still a communist nation they can and will close the doors how they see fit. This may bite you in the long run if you put too much hope in that region.

I too am done with WoW. The talent re-do and now fuzzy pandas running around everywhere did it for me.

Originally posted by OkhamsRazor

I can't find any reference however loose to panda people anywhere on the net . Believe me I've been looking . The vast other races in Warcraft seam to be based on western Myth and Legend and have some corresponding god or goddess . Pandas simply don't fit well into a traditional fantasy setting in this respect . Blizzard can do what they want it is thier lore after all but it doesn't mean they can do what they want and for people to accept it en mass . You just have to look at the massive amount of negativity we've seen since the news about this expansion.

If it is indeed in development and a year away . I have a piece of advice for Blizzard . Cancel it . This will only end badly for you .And if your a fan and feel some sort need to protect the game but secretly hate the idea . I would get vocal about it pretty darn quick because you arn't protecting anything because if MOP is released it will be a disater for the game .

We can put a name to the WoW-Killer now . Its called Mists of Pandaria.

Doubtful at best.  Keep in mind that Blizzard could lose all of its NA and European players and still have millions and millions of players. Most people have little idea of how huge the Asian market is (and growing larger all the time).  

Look at the general art style of Asian games. It fits in rather well with that of MoP.  Not to mention the pokemon craze that swept *from* there across the entire world.  I totally agree that at this point, the only WoW killer is Blizzard (or Ghostcrawler...), but MoP isn't what is likely to do it. Not given the rise of Asia in this and other markets. 

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Originally posted by UNH0LYEV1L

Is this a freaking joke? OMG IT ISN'T good to know the people at blizzard have gone insane...hope that doesnt spread to Diablo III.

it already has, online only gameplay and real life money auction house. Nuff said.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

personally unless they add:

- actual dynamic events, not this LOTRO skirtmish ripoff

- dynamic player housing

- threats to player towns including major cities

- separate skillsets for pvp and pve

- mounted combat for ground mounts

they won't be getting my sub money. I don't spend it on just anything, the game has to be good. Oh and they need to fire that Ghostcrawler guy and then we'll talk.

• wardoxywardoxy Member UncommonPosts: 81

I laughed so hard, I already knew this game was going downhill , I just never expected them actually making idiots of themselves.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

Wow can you believe the spin! less choice makes for more character customization? really in who's world does that happen? So much gool-aid to drink in this interview its hard not to choak on it and drown.

its cool that the monk will have many character animations but they come right out and say they pretty much left all the other classes with one basica animation. Guess i was expecting too much that they might add one or 2 to the other classes So monk doesn't become the one class to play. (based on animations and coolness factor)

Really I enjoyed the kungfu panada movies myself but if i really wanted to play it i'd have bought one of the many single player games made from the movie. I really do hope Jack black does voice overs for the pandarians as that really would be Awesum, however i think WoW may be going too much to wizard 101 kiddie market and not all adults may want that for their serious MMO game.

Sure removing a layer of depth makes it easier to program. (it does not add more customization or choice in any sane sense) and yes it make it less complex for the young or those that just want to log on and hack mindless for a hour or 2 a week, but it is dumbing down none the less no matter how much spin Blizzard wants to put on it.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

Originally posted by kalinis

I like the no central en enemy. If u are ally your enemy should be horde. Vanilla wow had no central enemy and no one complained. The pandaran i like. 

I like the asian theme also. Lets face it playing a panda is just cool. Look at tor forums everyone wants to play wookies and droids snd stuff. so the truth is the minority may hate cute races but hte majority of players love them.

Personally i don't find playing cute cartoony races that cool. but i must admit there is some to be said for the fun of killing them in wholesale realm vs realm slaughter. Just not enough for me to stay sub'ed unfortunately for bliazzard though 

• StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Member UncommonPosts: 270

Yeah, pandas are completely absurd. And being "part of the lore" via novels or an 8 year old game from a different genre doesn't make it any less absurd.

While WoW has always obviously tested the limits of what feels appropriate in a medieval-style fantasy setting, playable pandas are a ridiculous jump way over the line.

For RPG players raised on Tolkein and 1970's-80's Dungeons & Dragons, playable pandas are an instant OH HELLLLL NO. But we are a very slim and likely meaningless percentage of who's still playing WoW, so as a business move it's probably going to be pure gold for Blizzard.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

Originally posted by StanlyStanko

Yeah, pandas are completely absurd. And being "part of the lore" via novels or an 8 year old game from a different genre doesn't make it any less absurd.

While WoW has always obviously tested the limits of what feels appropriate in a medieval-style fantasy setting, playable pandas are a ridiculous jump way over the line.

For RPG players raised on Tolkein and 1970's-80's Dungeons & Dragons, playable pandas are an instant OH HELLLLL NO. But we are a very slim and likely meaningless percentage of who's still playing WoW, so as a business move it's probably going to be pure gold for Blizzard.

Did you somehow miss the fact that the entirety of the lore, graphical style, abilities, and just about everything else in WoW is based on that "8 year old game from a different genre"? And Pandarens are a part of that.

WoW has never been medieval-style. It would be described as steampunk fantasy, not medieval or any variation thereof.

Playing Pandas is an "instant OH HELLLLL NO," but playing the exact same thing that's in the shape of a cow is just peachy?

The only thing absurd is these bizarre kneejerk reactions I keep seeing on this topic. At this point I'm ready to just chalk it up to some weird male insecurity issue.

<3