Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Making the Switch?

Comments

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

I bought it (when pre-orders were announced) for the physical items. I've had CEs for games before and I know the in-game "exclusive" stuff amounts to little more than a bunch of novelty items. Even with the store and the "VIP" lounge, I can't see this being any different.

I wanted the Malgus statue (yes, they are addictive!), authenticator and soundtrack, so I went for the CE, the in-game stuff doesn't matter to me at all really. But it would seem from some discussions that people are forking out the extra $s just for the in-game stuff.

That I just don't understand.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I preordered the CE relatively soon after it was possible. It was a VERY hard deicison. 150 Euro is A LOT of money (214 Dollar at the time!) and I found the price obscene and hilarious. But these were my reasons:

I WANT the soundtrack and I WANT the item shop, because I want to have some gear where I look a tad different. That chance is really what I enjoyed.

Now I totally do not want the figurine (UGLY) and I plan to sell it, hopefully. And I want a game as box, I only buy digital games when the game matters not at all to me. I want a box, a manual... something tangible, so the digital version was out of the question and the normal too. It was really a hard decision, and I wished Bioware would have had one around 100 bucks without the fugly Darth Malgus figure. If it were a COOL character, Vader, heck even Revan or what... but Malgus? Bah.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• Scott_JeslisScott_Jeslis Member RarePosts: 630

I originally ordered the CE edition for the reason Michael stated.... the statue :-(

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

Wait... A P2P game is going to have an item shop?

Is that like a cash shop in F2P games where you have to spend real money on cosmetic stuff to buy it?

Maybe I'm misreading but if that's what it is that's just ridiculous.

I would never P2P a game that also has an item/cash shop.

You're already paying $15.00 a month to play the game and if you want to look good you also have to fork over probably an extra $15.00-$20.00?

Maybe that's not the case, but if it is that's super greedy on Bioware's part.

Of course it's probably EA's doing as all their games have item/cash shops... even their P2P games.

I just don't see how how that's fair to the players, but if they dont' mind then I guess it doesn't matter.

Smile

• ZengrokZengrok Member UncommonPosts: 18

I think the reason is simple.  As more and more people consider SWTOR to be the next big game, and as they see more and more proof of that, it validates the justification for getting the CE (or switching to the CE).  The belief being: if SWTOR becomes the game that millions will be playing for years to come, they want to be at the forefront with their CE.

The statue just increases the investment. ;)

• davestr1zldavestr1zl Member Posts: 218

Originally posted by Razeekster

Is that like a cash shop in F2P games where you have to spend real money on cosmetic stuff to buy it?

You're already paying $15.00 a month to play the game and if you want to look good you also have to fork over probably an extra $15.00-$20.00?

Of course it's probably EA's doing as all their games have item/cash shops... even their P2P games.

I just don't see how how that's fair to the players, but if they dont' mind then I guess it doesn't matter.

This CE-only item store doesnt have a single item for sale for real money, its simply a vendor for (cosmetic) items in-game that only the CE people can access.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I just don't see the need to even preorder much less buy a $150 version.  Typically there's nothing I need in a collectors edition.  Action figure/sculpture?  I have 50 or so collectible action figures now...in my garage.  Map?  Eh, better maps with poi's will be online soon.  A book with 'exclusive' artwork?  Naaa, again, those pictures and more will find there way onto the internet.  Some exclusive virtual items?  Meh...I don't even know if I like the game yet.

The only thing that remotely stirs my interest is the store where you can buy stuff to customize your companions, but I don't like it enough as a single selling point.

If I was going to drop $150, I'd rather buy two copies of the regular game and my wife and I could play together.

• daydreamerxxdaydreamerxx Member UncommonPosts: 178

The reason is because as time gets closer the more drunk they get.

Drunk on love for SWTOR, and When your as shitfaced Drunk as I am any girl looks pretty.

But Seriously, as the last few months have passed more info has been released about the game, it has an actual date now, and some of the terrible screenshots or videos that made the games graphics look bad have been replaced with proper media. The game looks a ton better than most MMOs out.

Along with the announcement that there will be more than one Operation (Raid), there is Tons Of PVP, and the simple fact that there is 200 hours of unique story gameplay per class. Pays for the game itself "almost". 

On top of that Blizzard announced their new xpac which has a ton of people very upset. Other mmos going free to play which opens up funds as well, plus getting closed to hollidays when means presents .

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Unless there is something you just can't go without in the collector's addition it is just a waste of money.  I guess a lot of people like to throw away money.  It will not help you one iota in playing the game.  

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

I am still thinking of switching to the CE but they won't put me in beta to try it so I am not doing it till I can get my hands on it and be sure :/

• ropeniceropenice Member UncommonPosts: 588

Originally posted by precious328

Not allowing the Digital Collector's to have the "exclusive" store and pet just goes to show what kind of people BioWare / EA really are.

This is Star Wars - home of the most crazed fans and collectors.

They know for a fact that most sales of their $150.00 Tangible CE is due to the two bonus items.

Most people buy these Collector's Editions to stand out. It's almost like some virtual form of elitism - knowing that they have something that most player will never have.

There are some good hobbies out there you could try. Some new movies and cd's released. Sporting events, social clubs, classes at the local comm college. A lot of other fun ways to spend time. Just saying.

• HurricanePipHurricanePip Member Posts: 167

Sounds to me like people are being sucked into questionable business practices.  No you can't change your pre-order because you lose your early access position?  Really?  The limited copies is also crap too and I would venture to guess that is driving things more than anything else.  EA was starting to increase their brand value and recently, they've fallen back into the Activision type of crap.

If you don't worry about it, it's not a problem.

• Spin6699Spin6699 Member Posts: 9

The only reason I would want the CE is for the soundtrack, which they will probably release by itself a few months after launch.

• DevianeDeviane Member UncommonPosts: 108

honestly i get the CE  not  for the  dancer or  droid...or the  fugly  vehicle/mount im all excited for the vanity items the  store may sell...star wars(in general) doesnt have a very pretty or  sexy enviroment  clothes and  i want to have more vanity options  wiht my companions and characters if i can

• I got the CE for the same reason many got it. We are hoping that SWTOR will be the next big hit and want to get in on the ground floor with a CE to get the full experience. I think the virtual goodies are nice but I am definitely looking forward to an exclusive store with vanity items. If SWTOR doesn't work out at least I can play it for six months or so until TSW comes out. If it works out well, I will end up with two solid mmo titles after years of drought in quality releases.

• KatrisaKatrisa Member UncommonPosts: 116

Let me first say.. I'm not a Star Wars fan but I am a MMO fan and I will be playing ToR because i like MMOs... who knows... maybe it will make me into a fan of Star Wars. Now having said that... I don't understand how anyone can pay so much for the CE. And the whole "limited Supply" is to artificially inflate supply and demand... seems wrong to me.... imo

/Meow

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by Razeekster

The item shop that BioWare has mentioned so far is only an in-game thing.  As of yet I have not seen anything from BioWare or EA that says they will have a RMT shop as well, although they did say something about a pricing plan that includes a "subscription with a twist".  It was only mentioned in one statement (many, many months ago now) and I have yet to see anything clarifying it.

As for "why the sudden increased interest in the CE?"  I would have to say that a big reason for that has to due with knowing the release date now AND it getting closer.  Those people who were on the fence about getting it are now feeling some sort of imaginary pressure to buy it.  That teaser video that BioWare released was at a really good time since people following the game felt compelled to check it out in case there was some new information and that helped to increase that imaginary pressure.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

I bought my first CE (right away so i didn't switch) ever (game or MMo) because it features the things i absolutely wanted in a MMO. Good vs Evil (yes i know it's light side vs dark side, the way it was protrayed in the kotor game was dark was evil, and light was good though) allingment system. Focus on story (and even multiplayer dialogue, more then 1 person can have their say in a quest) and frankly because i want Bioware to succeed. They are a company that I'd like to see produce even more games from and especially more MMOs with a story first type of gameplay (with more of the multi thrown in) or more so expand  more on this one if they can.

So features it's good vs evil (light vs dark) allignment system.

Story focus.

All this done in an vast open world with lots of different people.

and compamy wise

I believe Bioware makes well done games that i'd like to see more of.

Therefore I bought the CE because if i was giong to buy one for any game company it would be one i trust (bioware) with the above said features.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

If I were to make a switch it would be from CE to a lesser edition. The statue is cool looking, but I really don't have much use for it. I would prefer a tee - of the correct size...or maybe even two tees for Sith and Republic :)

The people I'm playing the game with ordered lesser editions, so I figure I may as well get the CE so we'll know what the exclusive store has to offer.

• primetheusprimetheus Member UncommonPosts: 28

Im a very avid buyer of collectors editions list includes Warhammer/Aion (neet but platic figure)/LotRo/ WoW all expansions/ STO (also got t-shirt xtra)/ AoC (first CE with something pratical ingame Mammoth mount)/ Rift (again mount in game).

I also have many non mmo titles Mass Effect 2 / Halo reach / Duke / SC2 ect ect. far to many to go on , Anyway the point im getting to is SWtOR is the first i can rem that is giveing me not 1 not 2 but 3 usefull in game items the figure is nice but it has surpassed any other title with actual in game stuff i can see me useing for more than the first 10 lvl's.

Also the key gen is a nice addition over those 8gig usb sticks which i have many off now. i played wow for 6 and half years so did my wife my 14 year old son and my 21 yr old handicap daughter and the key gen on each account cost me £20 so yes it would be something i would have had to buy £130 seems fair to me

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by Torvaldr

Providing ongoing exclusive content for collector's edition purchasers is bad juju.  It's not wise to gate too much fluff as an exclusive and if they offer other means or access to those items later, then the CE purchasers will go ballistic.

This is the one area I see them making a massive mistake.  They should offer a one-off exclusive fluff deal and be done with it or offer their digital CE purchasers access to the same benefit.  Then they should keep selling the digital CE after launch as a purchase option.

I think the ongoing fluff is because they haven't completed their ideas on it yet.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by SaintViktor

An odd phenomenon ? Ok this happens to every CE that gets published. The dev and publisher or make a limited amount of CE's and as always the people that missed out still wants their hands on it. So explain, how is this a phenomenon ?

I don't get it either.  This has been done before and will be done again in the future.

I did find the timing on the video a bit odd.  Why now and not back in July? 

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

If Bioware was smart, they'd stick to the "limited" part of the CE. That will keep buzz and interest high in the game among collectors, which in turn keeps interest high for all things Star Wars.

I saw this on another site, link to Ebay:

Winning bid: US $810.00

I dunno all what's worth what in that package, but that's a lot of chips.

If they have to release another CE altogether or something in a year's time but not this same one. It used to be when they said "limited" collector's, it used to mean that.

Nowadays like Rift showed us, "limited" only means "until we print more copies so you don't have to worry about missing out on the deal" if you commit early. To this day Rift is still selling a 'limited' edition alongside a new CE which after only seven months.

Kinda hope Bioware isn't forced to do this. Coming out with a new CE and having a different statue is going to suck for people who bought early if they would have rather had the new offer's statue and package.

I would hope it's like WoW's early days when they said "limited" it meant that, if you didn't get one when they started selling it, you're S.O.L. for dicking around.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    My wife and I went with the DD copy of the game and have no desire to upgrade. I personally think the 149.99 + 20 bucks to pre-order a game is a joke. No game is worth that much, but to the fans that bought the 179.99 price tag, I hope you are happy and every time I see a post with the CE tag it makes me grin as I think ... sucker.
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by popinjay

I saw this on another site, link to Ebay:

Winning bid: US $810.00

I dunno all what's worth what in that package, but that's a lot of chips.

Eh. That was a charity auction donated by Bioware. Doesn't really reflect what the typical customer would pay for a product.

But I'm in agreement with the whole limited edition bait n switch. Its all the same crap: Limited/Collector's/Special/Anniversary/Gold/OMG Edition. After a while, you just have to laugh.