Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Making the Switch?

Comments

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959

Originally posted by precious328

Most people buy these Collector's Editions to stand out. It's almost like some virtual form of elitism - knowing that they have something that most player will never have.

Not true. I thought by now history would have learned us that it's just an illusion and that those items will be available to ALL other players within a year. Two years tops!

With the latest MMO Rift from Trion, it didn't even take 7 months, before an upgrade package was made available via the Account Management Page.

Same thing will happen to SW:TOR. You can count on it!

• dirtyd77dirtyd77 Member UncommonPosts: 383

Man this whole thread feels like deja vu from the official forums.

For those thinking they will get this free down the line.  Best O' luck to ya... I hope you don't have your hopes set to high! The "ONLY" way that will happen is if this game tanks...  

I hope that does not happen, but anything is possible.

I don't really see it here in this thread but over on the official boards ... the level of self entitlement  is through the roof.

I sum it up like this. Post/Posters that feel they should get the CE store and other in game items down the road either free or paying a small fee

Here is another post that basically says the following.

I am either 

A. Too cheap

B. Don't have the money

C. Did not want all of the extras

But yet still feels they deserve what those who shelled out $150 will get. 

It is really starting to get sad... All of these self entitlement post !!!! 

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Originally posted by JeroKane

Not true. I thought by now history would have learned us that it's just an illusion and that those items will be available to ALL other players within a year. Two years tops!

With the latest MMO Rift from Trion, it didn't even take 7 months, before an upgrade package was made available via the Account Management Page.

Trion is a fringe case I think. Bioware is more like Blizzard in my view in the fact I never see them really lowering the price of the CE like Trion did.

In my view Trion got it right and realized the money is not in the box, but is in the sub and basically handing the game out is the best approach.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

An odd phenomenon ? Ok this happens to every CE that gets published. The dev and publisher or make a limited amount of CE's and as always the people that missed out still wants their hands on it. So explain, how is this a phenomenon ?

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Most people buy these Collector's Editions to stand out. It's almost like some virtual form of elitism - knowing that they have something that most player will never have.

Even though I ordered the CE ...I have to sadly agree. More than once I've ordered a game (usually from a specific store) for a particular in-game item or perk...supposedly exclusive to that game version(collector...digital..standard) and/or distributor.....only to eventually see it in the cash shop. In one case an "exclusive" item appeared 1.5 months after I recieved the "collector's" edition of the game. It's happened with STO...AOC...Fallen Earth...you name a game and it's likely happened. Lotro is famous for their seasonal events...where you grind doing sometimes fun..but mostly silly season-themed events to get special cosmetic gear or other items. They are also famous for then putting those same items you spent so much time earning....right into the LOTRO Store. I mean..I'll live...but it kind of pisses me off.

As for Trions CE upgrade option...If I recall..I obtained the upgrade right around 1.5 weeks after launch....so the 7 month thing is overkill..lol. I remember because they gave everyone..or many people..all the perks for the early access(whether this was an error  or  to give us  a taste is unknown). Then they removed them after about a week..so I paid the $10 upgrade for the mount and extra bag slots...like a good junkie.

• dirtyd77dirtyd77 Member UncommonPosts: 383

Originally posted by BarCrow

Even though I ordered the CE ...I have to sadly agree. More than once I've ordered a game (usually from a specific store) for a particular in-game item or perk...supposedly exclusive to that game version(collector...digital..standard) and/or distributor.....only see it in the cash shop. In one case an "exclusive" item appeared 1.5 months after I recieved the "collector's" edition of the game. It's happened with STO...AOC...Fallen Earth...you name a game and it's likely happened. Lotro is famous for their seasonal events...where you grind doing sometimes fun..but mostly silly season-themed events to get special cosmetic gear or other items. They are also famous for then putting those same items you spent so much time earning....right into the LOTRO Store. I mean..I'll live...but it kind of pisses me off.

I agree it would piss me off as well.  However I will go back to my point that the only way the exclusive items here end up becoming available to others is if the game tanks.... 

All of the examples you gave those games, well they tanked..... 

I hope that SWTOR can avoid this fate and if it does and is the success some of us hope it is, then I doubt you will ever see any of the exclusive CE stuff available..  ala WOW

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    To the guy saying that swtor will not be a AAA game your out to lunch my friend, before making statements on the game, ya might want to do alittle research and actualy play the game before making those comments.

I for one, bought two CE one for me and one for the wife because this is biowares first take on mmos and I am a huge fan of bioware plus I am supporting our Canadian businesses. Worth every Pennie, and if you think the CE is too high, look at skyrims CE they don't offer nearly as much as swtor, so to all the trolls, sorry that you won't be in game and thank god for that.
  • AadienAadien Member UncommonPosts: 220

I got mine from the orgin on the main website.. How can i upgrade it to the CE one?

• kegtapkegtap Member Posts: 261

Originally posted by Aadien

I got mine from the orgin on the main website.. How can i upgrade it to the CE one?

You can't! It's sold out on origin in fact it sold out on origin in a few hours. 

I think they should offer a second round of CEs with a diffrent statue.

I can feel your anger. This game is defenseless. Take your weapon. Strike this game down with all of your hatred, and your journey towards towards the Dark Side will be complete.

• AadienAadien Member UncommonPosts: 220

So no way for me to get CE then?

• grunt187grunt187 Member CommonPosts: 956

And yet the original guild wars prophecies collectors edition still sells for $80+, so i guess it depends on whether or not it does well. My bet is that you wont see them again or at a marked up price.

The following statement is false
    The previous statement is true

• kegtapkegtap Member Posts: 261

I would think your local stores must be getting some CEs. I could not see it being an online only thing.  Have you checked any of your local stores to see what they say? 

I can feel your anger. This game is defenseless. Take your weapon. Strike this game down with all of your hatred, and your journey towards towards the Dark Side will be complete.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Originally posted by dirtyd77

Originally posted by BarCrow

Even though I ordered the CE ...I have to sadly agree. More than once I've ordered a game (usually from a specific store) for a particular in-game item or perk...supposedly exclusive to that game version(collector...digital..standard) and/or distributor.....only see it in the cash shop. In one case an "exclusive" item appeared 1.5 months after I recieved the "collector's" edition of the game. It's happened with STO...AOC...Fallen Earth...you name a game and it's likely happened. Lotro is famous for their seasonal events...where you grind doing sometimes fun..but mostly silly season-themed events to get special cosmetic gear or other items. They are also famous for then putting those same items you spent so much time earning....right into the LOTRO Store. I mean..I'll live...but it kind of pisses me off.

I agree it would piss me off as well.  However I will go back to my point that the only way the exclusive items here end up becoming available to others is if the game tanks.... 

All of the examples you gave those games, well they tanked..... 

I hope that SWTOR can avoid this fate and if it does and is the success some of us hope it is, then I doubt you will ever see any of the exclusive CE stuff available..  ala WOW

I 'll agree with you on all but two...I still don't believe LOTRO or RIFT have tanked. They both have and have had a decent population in my experiences. Not WOW numbers ..but no other game has those numbers...nor will any game likely attain such heights. Of the two..

Turbine definitely saw the future in F2P (good or bad) .DDO and LOTRO seem to be doing fine. As far as RIFT..I think they saw what other companies did..or failed to do...and just started the cycle early. Offering trials..setting up a minor cash shop. No other MMO imo keeps the ball rolling moreso than Trion does with RIFT .Whether it's the ongoing rifts ,updates that add features and more, prompt patches/fixes or world events....always something to do . Endgame I can't comment on..because I am not an endgame addict.

• BooksBooks Member Posts: 80
    Seeing as how this is ultimately an EA MMORPG somewhere down the line these extras will be available in some way via micro transaction. But since they're not showing what the CE companion skins look like uh have no desire.
  • YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

The CE-store gives access to some more individualization and this is allways welcome, especially in MMOs, where people usually are clones running around. I'd wish more MMOs would go the way of RoM, where you can move the stats form an epic to a LvL 1 item. The rest of the ingame-stuff... well... it's not really that interesting.

The biggest reason for the CE might actually be the seurity-key, as this offers some additional account-security ontop of what you can do yourself to protect against keyloggers etc.

• theniffrigtheniffrig Member UncommonPosts: 351

I bought a 5 euro pre-order standard edition box from HMV initially. I entered the pre-order code and was all set for the early access. Then, because of a credit card re-fund I recieved for pc parts I ordered, it turned out I had exactly enough to buy the Collector's Edition of the game and get the same day postage from Gamestop. After enquiring on the SWTOR forums to ensure I'll get all the C.E. items once I enter the C.E retail code on the 20th of December, I decided to "just do it" and bought myself the C.E.

Why? Well aside from the exact money being refunded to me on my credit card being a sure fire sign from the powers that be to buy the C.E, I also wanted to once again be there at the start  for a big game launch, like I was in SWG. I even have the big cardboard box that game came in. It's just cool.

If they offered a life-time sub, I would most likely buy one too. (I never bought a lifetime sub for any game before). I just can see myself being very dedicated to this game for the long term, so the C.E makes sense for me to buy. Let's hope the game doesnt tank come release!

Edit: And as someone who had their WoW account hacked before I got one,  the authenticator that comes with it is priceless in my opinion!

• TalinTalin Member UncommonPosts: 918

I'll save my money and buy three games instead of the one price of the collector's edition.

Unless a game offers me something extremely beneficial in-game (I'm not a collector and can't stand all of the clutter from items on my desk), such as a mount from level one (Rift got me on this one), I'm out. A "shop" of exclusives is an extremely obnoxious concept as the ambiguity of what it might contain, at launch and in the future, is actually a mental game with the playerbase.

I pre-ordered the regular edition and am still quite excited, but I've no interest personally in the C.E. To those who feel they are getting their money's worth, I see no problem and hope they enjoy it.

• brett7018brett7018 Member UncommonPosts: 181

Nah, ill stick with the standard version.  I can easily afford the CE, but I was not interested in anything they were offering, save the store and that was not enough.  

I made the mistake of buying a CE edition of a game once (WAR)....it is still collecting dust in my tech graveyard.

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

One cool thing the game has (CE) in one of the main cities, there is an area that only the ce people get access to...nothing to do there persay...just kind of cool I guess.  At least thats what they said at comicon

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• OhMyGothOhMyGoth Member UncommonPosts: 56

I was originally going to buy the CE, but once i seen what it offered i backed off. I felt the items provided were not worthy of the price, so i preordered the regular copy instead. The best thing i liked from the whole deal was the unique color crystal. But that comes with a regular copy as well so i got what i wanted for a very low price. That being said, even the color crystal will be pointless within a few days of the games release. The flare gun, training droid, holodancer, holocam, mouse droid, all pointless items. Sure they might be fun to have for some, for awhile, but in the end, pointless items. Same with the STAP speeder, sure, you get a free one and save yourself the cost (wont say the cost of it in game), but all this does is exactly that, saves you credits.

From the looks of it, you still got to wait for the required level to use it anyways, so you basically got a free speeder sitting in your inventory till you reach the required level to use it. The Malgus statue will be something people want to most likely sell on ebay or amazon at a later time to the nerds who desperately want one for their personal collection. As for the store, it will just offer different looks for social items and companion appearances. Nothing game breaking, you can still get both those in game, just wont have those specific one's.

So yeah, nothing really worthy of my $150, i chose to go with the ME3 collectors edition instead, felt it had better stuff and was way cheaper. So even if i felt later on it wasn't worth the price, i can still feel good about not paying $150 for it. But despite my feeling on the CE, a lot of people still have to have it and honestly, more power to them. I'm a firm believer that if you want it, buy it and in this case for me, i just didn't want it.

• VamperoVampero Member UncommonPosts: 38

That is why I bought the CE !

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,077

Simple answer: Because they want to.

• SquiggieSquiggie Member Posts: 104

Or maybe it's because some people like to....you know....collect unique things?

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I am deciding currently to go normal version, or digital deluxe for the mounts....No idea how hard it is to obtain a mount in game, if it will be a big boon for the toon...Guess I could ask, don't know if a yes/no answer with no explaination would really be breaking the nda heh.

• ZibooZiboo Member UncommonPosts: 158

I didn't buy the CE as there wasn't anything I really wanted.   I very rarely see things in a CE that I do need/want, but generally buy the next step up from the basic if it includes a mount, etc. (such as Trion did).

Honestly though if a Collector's Edition is just that it should be limited I would think in availability.  Maybe not a full Limited Edition but a Collector's implies something to collect which shouldn't be common.  So people that want to pay for the extras have the right to get them and flaunt them if they want.  Their choice their $$.

Proud member of Hammerfist Clan Gaming Community.

Currently playing: RIFT, EQ2, WoW, LoTRO
    Retired: Warhammer, AoC, EQ
    Waiting: SWToR & GW2