Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Making the Switch?

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

MMORPG.com Community Manager Michael Bitton has noticed many Star Wars: The Old Republic fans are suddenly interested in upgrading to the Collector's Edition of the game. He has but one question for these folks, "Why?"

Lately, I’ve noticed an odd phenomenon on the Star Wars: The Old Republic boards. There are quite a few people much more interested in the Collector’s Edition of the game now, and the boards are littered with threads asking about switching up from the Digital Deluxe Edition to the Collector’s or from Standard to the Collector’s.

Why?

Read more of Michael Bitton's Star Wars: The Old Republic: Making the Switch?

Comments

• milluxmillux Member UncommonPosts: 50

People just don't appreciate the value of an exclusive mouse droid anymore...

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

Milking cows is now done digitally.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

Fear that they will be missing out from the "exclusive" store.

Thing is this one will be no different than all the other games. In a year or two people who didn't buy the Collectors will have a means of having access to the store and items at far less a monetary price.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• SkillCosbySkillCosby Member Posts: 684

Not allowing the Digital Collector's to have the "exclusive" store and pet just goes to show what kind of people BioWare / EA really are.

This is Star Wars - home of the most crazed fans and collectors.

They know for a fact that most sales of their $150.00 Tangible CE is due to the two bonus items.

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    I don't see a issue with people wanting to switch to CE, some people like myself buy CE no mattet what. So in my perspective it's worth it, but for the next guy it might not be.

Most people buy these Collector's Editions to stand out. It's almost like some virtual form of elitism - knowing that they have something that most player will never have.

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

There is something fascinating about cheapskates who complain because they dont want to pay extra. Digital version is 79.99, the ce is 149.99 A difference of 70 bucks.

Now ask yourself, is it worth paying 70 bucks, yes, buy it, no? then dont. But if you choose no, dont bitch and call the company evil. I find it hard to believe that in the 6 month timeframe that the CE was announced you cant spare the extra 70 bucks.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

I buy usually collector's editions just because I can, I like the extra crap and bigger boxes, nothing too important though. I never flex with or about the stuff in game, especially when it comes to singleplayer games :P

Only thing annoying I find about CE's is not the price, but the people talking about it. Buy it or dont, then move on with your life, the talk about too high price and such is pathetic. Get a job or something and stop making it such a big deal.

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

I actually find it amazing that these Occupy Wallstreet folks paid an extra $70 for a plastic figurine and access to virtual fluff items rather than picketing Bioware to give it to them for free.

• NazgolNazgol Member Posts: 864

I switched. The store is what drove me to switch. I wanted the other things as well just not the statue and that 70 dollars the statue adds to the price. Also you can switch and it does not deactivate your code since they all use the same code for early access.

In Bioware we trust!

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558

I personally won t buy the CE. I can afford it, I like eveything in it, but I know outside the figurine and solar map, that will just be pushed aside when I would open the box, will all come to everyone eventually. If I don t get the personal store thing, no biggie, unless they make the items a must have. If someone wants to pay it though, why get on them. It s their money to do what they want to.

• xxantiheroxxxxantiheroxx Member UncommonPosts: 68

I'm sure part of the reason is that we actually have a release date now and getting closer to that date. The hype is building again and people are going to start getting crazier and crazier the closer we get to launch.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Originally posted by precious328

Most people buy these Collector's Editions to stand out. It's almost like some virtual form of elitism - knowing that they have something that most player will never have.

And what is the problem with that?

Isn't it a good thing when MMOs offer more variety and unique visual options for players?

Sure, I understand the idea of "have and have nots" but it's a game right?

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

What happens with games that are extremely hyped is that outlets buy quite a few Colector editions.I have always got them at the same price because my local EB games will give you the CE during the last coupel days before release because they know  they won't sell many after release.

For reason i mentioned i can only assume outlets have no return ability and have to eat all the crates of Cd's they buy.This also leads me to beleive that num,bers posted by developers on game sales can be vastly over rated.Places like EB games are huge and would buy hundreds of crates,i bet even Wallmart will buy quite a few crates of the game.

If they were able to return and the CE has a much higher value ,they wouldn't hand it over so easily at the same cost of the normal edition.The sales clerk has never given it much thought at all,they give it to me showing no care at all,so perhaps it cost them maybe another 5 bucks over the regular version.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

I almost thought this article hinted at SWTOR going F2P for a minute i was like Whaa?

Originally posted by BadSpock

Isn't it a good thing when MMOs offer more variety and unique visual options for players?

Did I say that it was a problem?

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

As long as its simply cosmetic items and nothing that effects game play, then no one who did not buy the CE should really be complaining. Why do you care what others spend their money on?

I got the collectors edition because I love Star Wars, I enjoy Bioware games, Ive played SWTOR so I know what Im in for, Ive been waiting for this game for what feels like an eternity and I rarely buy CE's. I did not buy it simply because I want to feel "elite" in game because I'm running around with items others cannot get. 

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

I'm buying the CE for the virtual crap, not the tangible stuff. If they suddenly added those virtual things to the digital version that is $70 cheaper, I'd be more than a little angry.

You either think the CE is worth it or its not, either way, BioWare shouldn't change anything!

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

Originally posted by Wizardry

What happens with games that are extremely hyped is that outlets buy quite a few Colector editions.I have always got them at the same price because my local EB games will give you the CE during the last coupel days before release because they know  they won't sell many after release.

For reason i mentioned i can only assume outlets have no return ability and have to eat all the crates of Cd's they buy.This also leads me to beleive that num,bers posted by developers on game sales can be vastly over rated.Places like EB games are huge and would buy hundreds of crates,i bet even Wallmart will buy quite a few crates of the game.

If they were able to return and the CE has a much higher value ,they wouldn't hand it over so easily at the same cost of the normal edition.The sales clerk has never given it much thought at all,they give it to me showing no care at all,so perhaps it cost them maybe another 5 bucks over the regular version.

This is a very valid point. I regularly keep track of what CEs are going for on Amazon. You can tell which ones were good sellers because the price will either stay the same or increase. The ones that didn't move well will be discounted to greater and greater amounts as the units gather dust. A good example is the Fallout: New Vegas CE. The PC version has gone up, the PS3 has stayed the same, and the 360 version is going down. Same with Arkham Asylum, 360 is going down while the PS3 version has skyrocketed. I'm currently wishing I had picked up the WAR CE when it bottomed out at 42$; it's been climbing ever since.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• DunkareDunkare Member Posts: 33

nah thanks, im fine with the regular version. no need for virtual frills and furbelows nor some star wars dust trap :P

• Requiem6Requiem6 Member Posts: 237

For a game that won't be an AAA games, I really find that so much overpried.

Byeoware are so freaking greedy, I just can't believe it.

I really hope that the people that buy the CE are REAL FAN of Star Wars, otherwise it's just wasted money.

It's really sad to see all the people saying : "If you don't want to buy it just don't but shut up" !

While most of the people like to criticize, they don't accept when the other do it with what they like.

Aniway, I prefer buying the standars game, I don't need those crappy "bonus". Even less spending 70$ for a shop.

Byeoware, dissapointing, once again.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Originally posted by BadSpock

Did I say that it was a problem?

Hard to tell inflection from text only, your post sounded negative when I read it. Just seeking clarification for your position, offer up proper debate etc. no harm intended.

Do you feel that offering players a "virtual form of elitism" is a pro or a con?

• Originally posted by precious328

Not allowing the Digital Collector's to have the "exclusive" store and pet just goes to show what kind of people BioWare / EA really are.

Yep, incredibly smart and intelligent people who know their market. You got it on the nose.

• A.BlacklochA.Blackloch Member UncommonPosts: 842

With CE you can hang out in the VIP club, where the poor, unemployed folk with regular versions can't get into. Now that's elitism and a decent way to separate the heroes from the regular mob. :P

• CzelawCzelaw Member UncommonPosts: 173

I never get theCE's The swag never seems worth the extra 20-30 bucks. Tho I guess its nice to have a few brag items in game but not realy what Im about