Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest: The Resplendent Temple Video

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

One of the new areas coming in the EverQuest expansion, Veil of Alaris, is the Resplendent Temple. Beautiful and peaceful on the outside, the Resplendent Temple also hides zones fraught with danger and mystery. MMORPG.com has teamed up with the EverQuest team to bring our readers an exclusive first-look at EverQuest: The Resplendent Temple. Check it out!

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589

Originally posted by aitrus00

{mod edit}

ROFL I tell you what, you make a MMORPG that runs for over 10 years then come back and preach about turds, the engine is ancient but it still has  a loyal sub base hence why they keep keep pushing out updates.

Hope that covers why they do updates, its not for fits and giggles and its SOE if there isnt a buck in it they will not even get out of bed.

{mod edit}

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

back when SOE had some respect..hope they get back to basics with eqnext

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

I can not understand posting anything negative about a company still supporting a game as old as this. I think it's great that people are still playing and enjoying a game this old.

How did you think the graphics would look? Seriously? Why the hell did you even bother clicking the link to the video? Did you think that SOE revamped the entire engine and just didn't tell anyone? Suprise!! we made EQ a new modern game with stunning visuals and decided to keep it all quiet until now. Painful.

• aithieelaithieel Member Posts: 232

Great job, truly inspiring :) 

• KyllsynKyllsyn Member UncommonPosts: 110

Anyway, that zone looks amazing! I feel like there's great story behind it! I might just resubb Everquest for this to try out. (:

all derp'd out and nowhere to herpaderp.
  • miconamicona Member UncommonPosts: 677

Looking good , having played Eq1 from 2000 to 2006 i wish i could go back and relive EQ like in the old days but i cant go back you simply cant .

It's so inspiring seeing young developpers working on a game as rich and old as EQ.

Good job 

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885

Aww my first MMO I absolutely loved it. It still is such an amazing game.

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Worst designers in the industry.

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

EQ1 still is maybe the most habited MMO that SOE has.

There simply isnt a game with as much novelty as EQ1 to make those who love it to move.

• quseioquseio Member UncommonPosts: 234

lol and  you think wows design is better i suppose,not everyone likes hideous cartoony graphics found in wow

Originally posted by quseio

lol and  you think wows design is better i suppose,not everyone likes hideous cartoony graphics found in wow

You brought up wow, not me... where is your head at? Defensive about something? :)

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

• CacophanistCacophanist Member Posts: 100

WOW is a clone of EQ.

How anyone can enter into an arguement about the two games is beyond me.

All WOW added to EQs level based, point and click, kill x of y questing gameplay stlye was cartoon graphics and a bit of polish.

They are both utter turds and responsible for the retardation in development of the MMO genre. 

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

The swine people who dwell underground and "live of filth and decay", hmmmm I wonder where she got inspiration for them whilst working at SOE?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Played eq back in 99 as a beta tester till late 2006 , I miss those good old times in oasis yelling " SG TO DOCKS!" lol while fighting orcs at the highway watching some poor guy running and jumping for his life, while the SG pounds him into the ground lmao good old times
  • teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by Cacophanist

WOW is a clone of EQ.

All WOW added to EQs level based, point and click, kill x of y questing gameplay stlye was cartoon graphics and a bit of polish.

They are both utter turds and responsible for the retardation in development of the MMO genre. 

Anyone who thinks WoW is remotely a clone of EQ1 never played EQ1.  The fact you think EQ1s gameplay was about questing proves this.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959

All those negative nillies in here most probably weren't even born when this game released!

Anyone who knows EQ1, can show some appreciation and respect for this video.

With the limitations of the EQ1 engine, I think they really pushing the limits with this expac.

Nice video!

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

It's great that they're building on it.  Vid looked sharp.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620

WOW is a clone of EQ.

The first "kill x" quest in Everquest would have been in the Lost Dungeons of Norrath expansion, which was released over 4 years after the game came out.  Then again, I should know better than to expect people to know what they're talking about when they bash games on this site.

• SevenOmaticSevenOmatic Member UncommonPosts: 177

2 thumbs up for the new zone and much respect for eq.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067

I wish people would not take the name Everquest literally. If you had actually played the game in 1999 you would know that. Meanwhile my heart warms up each time the game comes up because it beings back such wonderful memories.

Chamber of Chains
  • DisdenaDisdena Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

WOW is a clone of EQ.

The only huge thing that WoW borrowed specifically from EQ and not from other MMOs of the time (which are few in number) is the heavy focus on PvE. Most other games in those days were big on world PvP. Whether the game had factions (which gave you safe areas and guaranteed allies) or not, exploring the world alone was meant to be dangerous so nonconsentual PvP was par for the course. EQ's popularity had a lot to do with the fact that any players who didn't ever want to participate in PvP—which, as it turns out, is most of us—would never have to. That's just about the only thing that WoW took from EQ. If you think EQ featured X of Y solo quest hubs, you are indescribably off the mark.

• bumfmanbumfman Member Posts: 276

Originally posted by Disdena

WOW is a clone of EQ.

The only huge thing that WoW borrowed specifically from EQ and not from other MMOs of the time (which are few in number) is the heavy focus on PvE. Most other games in those days were big on world PvP. Whether the game had factions (which gave you safe areas and guaranteed allies) or not, exploring the world alone was meant to be dangerous so nonconsentual PvP was par for the course. EQ's popularity had a lot to do with the fact that any players who didn't ever want to participate in PvP—which, as it turns out, is most of us—would never have to. That's just about the only thing that WoW took from EQ. If you think EQ featured X of Y solo quest hubs, you are indescribably off the mark.

One of the biggest, most over used debates in the history of all MMO gaming is who borrowed what from who when making thier video game. Does it really matter as long as MMO companies are trying to improve thier product?

EQ is a good target for such debates because it has and is an enduring game, and like others have said, usually brings up good memories for the people that played it for any decent length of time.

Any time anyone wants to start a debate (probably more realistically an arguement) some one shouts in a general channel somewhere on any MMO game and says .... ... EQ was the first MMO !! or Everything is the child of Everquest !!

We all know a huge debate is about to partake and you silence the general chat :) hehe

Work hard Play Harder

Originally posted by JeroKane

All those negative nillies in here most probably weren't even born when this game released!

With the limitations of the EQ1 engine, I think they really pushing the limits with this expac.

Nice video!

I beta'd EQ1, and I still say they are the worst designers in the industry. They have a strong tendency towards punishment design instead of reward design. If you do something wrong expect to lose a lot. If you do something well, so what? Keep doing it for another 30 hours and maybe they'll give you some XP.

Their design philosophy isn't much different than the nerdy anti-social D&D DM that knows the best way to play the game and punishes his players for trying to have any fun their way.

In the end it's a moot point, because EQ is a 'has been' title only hanging around because of SOE's nostalgia for back when they were the kings of the MMO world.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

Originally posted by Velocinox

Originally posted by JeroKane

Nice video!

I beta'd EQ1, and I still say they are the worst designers in the industry. They have a strong tendency towards punishment design instead of reward design. If you do something wrong expect to lose a lot. If you do something well, so what? Keep doing it for another 30 hours and maybe they'll give you some XP.

Their design philosophy isn't much different than the nerdy anti-social D&D DM that knows the best way to play the game and punishes his players for trying to have any fun their way.

In the end it's a moot point, because EQ is a 'has been' title only hanging around because of SOE's nostalgia for back when they were the kings of the MMO world.

Well people like you are in luck.  Everyone gets a prize in todays MMO's!  Depth, challenge and thrill be damned. 

Let me guess you lost your corpse one day...emo rage quit, and have been bashing the game since.

• ChloroCatChloroCat Member Posts: 98

Brings a tear to my eye to remember my Old EQ days. EQ from start to into PoPoop, Wish I could run home to EQ but I have and my home is a pile of garbage now. Looking foward to news about EQNext and SOE...please don't screw it up.

Jymm Byuu
    Playing : Blood Bowl. Waiting for 2. Holding breath for Archeage and EQN.