Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

i have a feeling gw2 dynamic events will be no better than rifts or PQs

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by bishbosh

fact: gw2 will not be truly dynamic since it is not a sandbox

however

the illusion of a dynamic world can be created by having a large variety of events so that the same event does not occur for a couple of months after it first occured. 

i really doubt gw2 will have enough unique events to even create an illusion of a dynamic world. from what i have seen the

-shatterer will respawn repeatedly in the same location every time

-the same centaurs will raid the same human city every single time

- the same pirates will attack the same city every single time

seems it will be like invasions in rift (mundane and repetitive); if i kill this boss he will be back in an hour and if i dont kill him he will occupy some trivial quest hub.

I think you are both right and wrong. Some of the common DEs, particularly in the noob zones will be boring after a while.

But the big ones, like the shatterer will happen rather rarely and over 1500 DEs at launch is a lot, unlike Rift and WAR.

I think that once you are out of the noob zone it wont be more boring than regulat questing, in fact I think it will be better since you can choose the part of the DE you prefer instead of doing the few varieties of standard quests that regular MMOs have.

It is of course hard to say before spending a few weeks in the game, but I ain't so worried, even though I think we should be very happy for the 5 starting zones, I think mking alts of the same race will be really boring for the first 20 levels.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by popinjay

Then I played Rift and enjoyed the rifts very much in the beginning, but the rest of the game not so much after awhile.

One thing I'd like to add regarding Rift- the rifts and invasions were extremely satisfying while leveling up during headstart and during beta when everyone was level appropriate for the events but upon release and within the first month they were completely ruined when one or two max levels could come in and basically solo it all. I'm really hoping that Anet does something to keep the challenge in DEs.

• RageaholRageahol Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

Originally posted by pierth

Then I played Rift and enjoyed the rifts very much in the beginning, but the rest of the game not so much after awhile.

One thing I'd like to add regarding Rift- the rifts and invasions were extremely satisfying while leveling up during headstart and during beta when everyone was level appropriate for the events but upon release and within the first month they were completely ruined when one or two max levels could come in and basically solo it all. I'm really hoping that Anet does something to keep the challenge in DEs.

well remember you will auto level down when you go into a lower level zone, you will have all your skills but your stats will only be a few level highers then the max level for that area, leaving the entire open and even the starter zones wouldnt be trivial to a max level character (something i think a few people wont realize) and personal that a much better way to have the game structured, so when you go back to do those DEs ina  zone you havent been in they wont be super easy for you, this games the game a lot of more options, making zones for everyone istead of creating new zones for 30s  but everyone can go and fight there not just level 30s

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Around 1600 Dynamic Events ingame thats around 266 hours of  gameplay if each event is 10 minutes wich will be longer for sure.

We havent even touched pvp yet and all that for a lousy 50 euro ?

All movies ive seen are of high quality....

Animations

Graphics

Engine

Story

PvP

It all looks epic and that without a subscription.

GW2 cannot fail for that small amount of money people :P

• tupodawg999tupodawg999 Member UncommonPosts: 724

Originally posted by grimm6th

Originally posted by tupodawg999

Personally i'd have it so you could only have one chore/mission, one dynamic event and one quest active at a time.

I like most of what you said, but the idea is you don't have dynamic events active, they just are, and there are lots of them in an area at a time.  You also don't have quests (personal story is something that I would say is beyond a simple quest).

Yes i should have said you're only physically in one DE at a time. The personal story sounds like what i mean when i say quests should be the sauce of the game rather than the meat even if the detail of what we mean is different.

I think the only quibble i'd have is over the chore/mission element. I think what might happen over time if a game goes fully DE is something counter-intuitve i.e. that if things are dynamic and interesting all the time then that becomes the new default i.e. it becomes familiar and normal like the rifts in Rift (cool though they are as a thing in themselves). So i think if i was doing it i'd deliberately try and make a zone's default state be a little dull e.g. lots of daily repeatable chores/missions to collect toadslime from the swamp or similar as the bread of the game, so that when one of the dynamic events starts it creates a sudden and noticably more interesting contrast with the default state. Basically i think you need bland to make interesting, interesting. I guess you could do the same thing just by having different scales of DE - some small and bland that repeat often and some big and dramatic and more infrequent that stand out.

But time will tell.

I'm not trying to knock it btw. It sounds very cool so far and a definite improvement. 

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by grimm6th

In many games, you see a mob of spiders (that imfamous MMO monster of choice).  You may decide to kill it but what is the point, they give relatively little in the way of rewards.

Let me do my best to describe what DEs are like  from my first hand experience, as abstract descriptions are meaningless.

In GW2, odds are those spiders are part of a DE (not that you will need to pay too much attention to that) and a soldier runs up to you and shouts at you to clear the trees of spiders so that they can set up camp or something.  you kill a few and you notice a few other people come along and before you know it, you have a big flashing reward saying you finished the event.  the camp gets set up in rapid order and you use your karma (DE reward) to buy a weapon or armor or crafting materials or food (consumables with temp. buffs).  you see the soldiers in the camp march off to attack a nearby encampment of centaurs and you think that it seems like a decent fight, so you join in.  Another event done and another reward gained, you move on to another area and decide to see whats happening to the north.  Their you find several things happenening, most interesting to you being the giant monstrous drake that is spinning around and breathing fire, and is surrounded by players.  The event is already half way over but you join in and get yet another reward for participating in an event.  You notice that you leveled up and you spend your points and move on to that interesting temple ruins in the swamp that is nearby.  There isn't anything going on but you decide to swim around and you find an underwater cave that leads to an area you hadn't seen before, with more events to do.  You decide to fight a giant shark and get eaten, but thats is alright, you found a new waypoint on your way here and you go back, where you find a lost merchant being attacked by nasty insects.  you run past him ignoring his crisis and you head to town.  You try to buy some stuff from town, but the merchants are out of the stuff you want, and you think to yourself "did that merchant have that thing I wanted"...

i could go on, but I think you can see that the idea of repetition is going to be lessened by the fact that you choose where you go, when you go there, but not what is actually happening while you are there or whether you actually participate.

I hope you all enjoyed my narrative.

That was the perfect way to describe a typical PvE experience in Guild Wars 2, because the main thing that I like about dynamic events is that it promotes exploration and group play. Just by watching someone like TotalBiscuit  playing the game, it's easy to tell that GW2 is kind of a "choose your own adventure" game, where you're not locked into a quest chain.

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Originally posted by stealthbr

Well I played Warhammer at launch and enjoyed the PQs quite a bit, but the rest of the game not so much.

I expect I'll play GW2 at launch and enjoy their dynamic system ever more than the previous two games with that kind of thing, but eventually I'll get tired of it too.

The question is: can all the other stuff in the game keep me interested as well unlike WAR and Rift couldn't do?
    Exactly my point. This sytem limits itself in objective creation and the experience becomes old VERY fast.

I agree to a point.

While the events in WAR and Rift did become quite boring and repetitive after awhile, it wasn't the fault of the mechanic. The idea of it is awesome, the implementation however left much to be desired by both companies. Neither company expanded what those mechanisms could have done very much.

WAR's PQs were static and never moved. In Rift, the "dynamic" rifts weren't very dynamic because they didn't really affect as much of the world as they were advertised and used far less effectively because Trion chose to focus on the dungeon/raiding content instead. They started out with a great idea but abandoned it halfway in favor of the more "WoW" approach of endgame raiding. Whether that was because they ran out of ideas on how to make the rifts more important or whether they had simply exhausted every possiblity of making them more impactful is unknown. All I know is they turned into loot pinatas you whacked for crafting mats.

In any event, GW2 seems to be improving on what rift did as their dynamic events seem much more dynamic than either of the two previous games. If you haven't seen the dragon fights from beta you really should check out one of the more detailed explanations of them. It solves a lot of what you are saying by giving people different things to do in the actual battle instead of just tanking, healing or dpsing.

I think they should have more of an opportunity to make the events more meaningful than either WAR or Rift which has me interested.

*snip*

You misread my post. I know Dynamic Events scale to the number of players currently doing it. However, my point was that the objectives will always consist of killing X amount of monsters or interacting with X amount of objects because these events are designed to be able to accomodate multiple people. Therefore, the way you do the event will always be limited, where as in a quest system, the quest can be tailored specifically to each individual allowing for greater depth in the objectives.

Also, I aknowledged the fact that these events present multiple "conclusions", however, the way you get to these "conclusions" will always consist of killing x or interacting with x.

Okay, that sentence I highlighted really annoyed me and here's why. ArenaNet designed Dynamic Events to bring people together and give tangible reasons and rewards for whatever tasks unfold before them. They are aren't designed to offer a tailored singleplayer exeprience, like all the solo-centric MMOs out there. They designed DEs to make Guild Wars 2 feel like an MMO, without all the BS we are used to.

However they also created the Personel Story, which is the story "your character" follows. So if you want that tailored singleplayer experience then you'll find it in the Personal Story, not the Dynamic Events. So I don't see why you are nit-picking at dynamic events, not providing the exeprience you'd hope for, when the experience you hope for is some where else in the game and possibly done better than every other MMO out now.

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054

Originally posted by AKASlaphappy

I'm not talking about repetition.

To the part in red really you are not?

Well it looks like you were the one that said it! Your reasoning here on why GW2 cannot do certain things with DEs is because it becomes redundant and stupid. I think anyone with half a brain on this website can find tons of things in themepark MMOs that are redundant and stupid! So if every other themepark MMO can do it, why can’t GW2? What because you say so?

IF ANet can add an event in the game that has people answering riddles, then why can't they have someone get info from a prisoner? Since in the event with the riddles the riddles do not scale just the amount you have to do to get the objective done at that shrine scales. So why couldn’t ANet have an objective in the game to get info from a prisoner along with like 5 other things to help out a Charr Spy. Then to make it scalable you would just have to increase the amount people would need to do to fulfill what the spy wants. There you go there is a way to have that objective in GW2 and include scaling, and I have never even designed a game. Are you really trying to tell me that people that design games for a living cannot out think a person that likes playing games?

After all there is over 1500 DEs in this game at launch and until we play through all 1500 none of us know the limits of the design!

Let me rephrase did this for you apparently misunderstood what I meant to say. I'm not talking about repetition in the sense that I kill a monster, he respawns, and someone else kills him. Or I do a Dynamic Event, someone else comes, and does that same event. That is not the point since all online games are not entirely persistent.

My point is that with Dynamic Events, where you have to be able to accomodate multiple players at the same, the objectives deal entirely with quantities of X, but in a very crude manner because these objectives need to be scalable. The objectives will never deal with something tailored to the individual, losing depth and specificity. I'll try and provide a better example:

You are tasked by your faction leader to infiltrate an enemy camp with the use of a disguise to assassinate their chieftain in a way that it looks like he suffered an accident, to avoid turmoil and a general riot from beginning. In a Dynamic Event system, this quest would not work because you would need multiple people infiltrating the same camp at the same time to kill one guy. Not only would this approach be tactically unsound and impossible, you would not be able to scale the objective of killing their leader because there is only one leader. Specificity impossibilitates the ability to do quests "pubicly".

What happens when you can't make objectives too specific or too tailored to an individual? The system can only make use of objectives with scalable quantities, and that is a severe limit that eventually leads to repetition within the gameplay experience itself.

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586

seems it will be like invasions in rift (mundane and repetitive); if i kill this boss he will be back in an hour and if i dont kill him he will occupy some trivial quest hub. 

Dynamic events that repeat are exciting at first, but become an annoying burden in the end.  As you mentioned, the invasions in Rift become a grind when you are farming planarite and are just plain annoying when you just need to turn in a quest but the NPC's are all dead because the population in that zone is low and you are the only one even participating in the invasion.

Dynamic content to me is when a dev takes control of some insanely difficult monster and wreaks havoc.  Scripted events just aren't enough.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

however

the illusion of a dynamic world can be created by having a large variety of events so that the same event does not occur for a couple of months after it first occured. 

i really doubt gw2 will have enough unique events to even create an illusion of a dynamic world. from what i have seen the

I hate people who use the word fact when its not a fact.

One more point I need to add. Since these Dynamic Events are designed to possibilitate the participation of multiple people at the same time, you can't have very specific objectives like the ones possible in a traditional questing system because your success ultimately depends on the culmination of the efforts of many people. Therefore, if you have an objective containing extremely fine details, you are destined to fail because not everyone that steps into a Dynamic Event will cooperate or act in coordination and harmony with others. The objectives will always need to be crude, as I have stated so many times.

Originally posted by nerovipus32

however

He is right though... Guild Wars 2 will never be truly dynamic since that would imply the complete lack of anything static, and that is simply impossible with its current design.

• MMOtoGOMMOtoGO Member Posts: 630

So I was standing in a town minding my own business, when suddenly voices started calling out and fire erupted all around me.  Npc's started warning of an impending attack and suddently an enemy began shouting and attacking.  Out of nowhere we started a new mechanic began where we took water buckets and started dousing the flames.  Wow...that was dynamic.

It was the Headless Horsemen event in WoW in Goldshire LOL

Dynamic events are dynamic...ONCE.  After that, they become old hat.  

however

He is right though... Guild Wars 2 will never be truly dynamic since that would imply the complete lack of anything static, and that is simply impossible with its current design.

What game is truly dynamic? guild wars 2 has dynamic content so he is wrong.

Originally posted by MMOtoGO

So I was standing in a town minding my own business, when suddenly voices started calling out and fire erupted all around me.  Npc's started warning of an impending attack and suddently an enemy began shouting and attacking.  Out of nowhere we started a new mechanic began where we took water buckets and started dousing the flames.  Wow...that was dynamic.

Yes but they are still dynamic even if you find them boring.

*snip*

My point is that with Dynamic Events, where you have to be able to accomodate multiple players at the same, the objectives deal entirely with quantities of X, but in a very crude manner because these objectives need to be scalable. The objectives will never deal with something tailored to the individual, losing depth and specificity. I'll try and provide a better example:

You are tasked by your faction leader to infiltrate an enemy camp with the use of a disguise to assassinate their chieftain in a way that it looks like he suffered an accident, to avoid turmoil and a general riot from beginning. In a Dynamic Event system, this quest would not work because you would need multiple people infiltrating the same camp at the same time to kill one guy. Not only would this approach be tactically unsound and impossible, you would not be able to scale the objective of killing their leader because there is only one leader. Specificity impossibilitates the ability to do quests "pubicly".

What happens when you can't make objectives too specific or too tailored to an individual? The system can only make use of objectives with scalable quantities, and that is a severe limit that eventually leads to repetition within the gameplay experience itself.

And like I just said... that's all handle in the personal story. Heck, I've seen seen a video similar to the example you gave, where the player and his/her companion goes into stealth in order to follow some NPCs back to their hideout and assassinate their leader. So you're concerns are pretty much unfounded. If you don't like the fact that the Dynamic Events are limited, in some ways, to accomodate large groups of players then just stick to the personal story and enjoy it as if it were a singleplayer MMO. image

One more point I need to add. Since these Dynamic Events are designed to possibilitate the participation of multiple people at the same time, you can't have very specific objectives like the ones possible in a traditional questing system because your success ultimately depends on the culmination of the efforts of many people. Therefore, if you have an objective containing extremely fine details, you are destined to fail because not everyone that steps into a Dynamic Event will cooperate or act in coordination and harmony with others. The objectives will always need to be crude, as I have stated so many times.

PERSONAL STORY... look it up. I'll keep repeating it until you get it into your head.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

The only thing truly dynamic in ANY MMORPG is player versus player (in any form including combat, economics, etc.)

that doesn't mean GW2 events system is not a major, major leap forward in MMO design.

Originally posted by Master10K

*snip*

And like I just said... that's all handle in the personal story. Heck, I've seen seen a video similar to the example you gave, where the player and his/her companion goes into stealth in order to follow some NPCs back to their hideout and assassinate their leader. So you're concerns are pretty much unfounded. If you don't like the fact that the Dynamic Events are limited, in some ways, to accomodate large groups of players then just stick to the personal story and enjoy it as if it were a singleplayer MMO. image

You can't do Personal Stories all the way from 1-80. Not only that, Dynamic Events are a MAJOR selling point of this game and some people rever it like the most amazing innovation. To not take part in them would be like not experiecing half of the game. However, there are some major flaws with this system, and I am here to show my preocupations, yet you seem rather oblivious.

• phantiasmicphantiasmic Member Posts: 38

It would be tough to get absolute dynamic in an mmorpg I think anyway... however at least in GW2 here is a difference.

I played Rift for about 4 months. The events were very fun I think but even if enemies took over it would be for a short time then they would all vanish and world would be the same.

They have stated in GW2 this is not the case, if centaurs do take over, they will remain in control as long as it takes until someone comes and changes it. 

THAT to me at the very least makes it a little more realistic, at least it has an element of realism at it's core. 

Because every game of any time will have some repetition no matter what.

- I have played Everquest, DAOC, Shadowbane, WoW, Aion, Rift, SW Galaxies, Planetside and Guild Wars (all expacs)

Originally posted by Zooce

*snip*

Dynamic events that repeat are exciting at first, but become an annoying burden in the end.  As you mentioned, the invasions in Rift become a grind when you are farming planarite and are just plain annoying when you just need to turn in a quest but the NPC's are all dead because the population in that zone is low and you are the only one even participating in the invasion.

And what quests would you need to hand in that the dynamic events prevent you from handing in?

If you haven't guessed it, then the answer is "none".

The thing about GW2 is that it provides viable options. If I get bored of doing Dynamic Events then I have the choice of: Dungeons, Personal Story & World v World World as a viable form of progression. Where Rift failed is that doing the quests was the only viable form of progression. Everything else was filler.

What game is truly dynamic? guild wars 2 has dynamic content so he is wrong.

I do not know of any online game that is truly dynamic, but that was not the point he made. He said that Guild Wars 2 is not truly dynamic, since it has multiple elements that are static, predictable, and unchangeable. The Dynamic Event systems is far from being truly dynamic because you can only influence them to a certain, limited point. Therefore, Guild Wars 2 is not truly dynamic.

• FozzikFozzik Member UncommonPosts: 539

Originally posted by MMOtoGO

If that were all there was to the events in GW2, I would agree with you. GW2 events will continue to be dynamic long after the first time you play through a zone.

I think one of the reasons people compare the "dynamic" events in Rift with GW2, and can't really see the difference, is because they don't really understand what is dynamic about GW2's events in the first place. The event itself (i.e. the centaurs attack the town) is the LEAST dynamic part of GW2's dynamic events. That's the part which is comparable to Rift or WoW...because both those games (and actually most MMOs) have a bit of content that happens actively and you take part.

What IS different about GW2's events, and what makes them much more dynamic, is how the events chain together based on outcomes or other variables, how the events scale based on the number of players participating, and how the events have persistent effects on the world nearby.

The events in GW2 aren't side content that spawns or doesn't spawn and just happens statically the same way every time. Multiple events are connected together across each zone, and affect each other. If you fail one event, it will set off a chain in another direction or a different event. If you succeed at another, the chain goes the other direction or sets of different chains. This means that the content taking place in a zone can be dramatically different based on what players are doing in the zone...not just present or absent, like in Rift...but actually whole different events.

Events scale actively, moment to moment, based on player participation. The scaling seems to be pretty complex, in that it can increase/decrease the number of mobs, the power of the mobs, and even the abilities the mobs use. I'm guessing the non-combat elements will also scale as well. This is very different from Rift or WoW.... getting to a later stage in a Rift event didn't change the event at all...it happened the same way every time no matter how many players show up. You might see more or less of it...but it doesn't actually CHANGE like events will in GW2.

Events will have persistent effects on the game. If a village gets taken over, it will stay taken over and the centaurs will start using the village as a jumping-off point to attack additional locations. If the farmer's grain fields get burned, the merchants won't have bread until players help push back the baddies. These elements mean that locations in the game will be different in many ways depending on the current state of the dynamic events. Again, this is actually change, not just presence/absence like in Rift... where a quest hub might get overrun and then minutes later be normal again.

Of course the game isn't going to be COMPLETELY dynamic... some things need to be static in order for people to even be able to tell what they are doing. Cities need to stay in the same place, gravity needs to work the same way, etc. The real world isn't completely dynamic, either. GW2 will be a lot more dynamic than any previous game, especially since the bulk of the content in the game is made up of these events.

Originally posted by Master10K

And what quests would you need to hand in that the dynamic events prevent you from handing in?

If you haven't guessed it, then the answer is "none".

The thing about GW2 is that it provides viable options. If I get bored of doing Dynamic Events then I have the choice of: Dungeons, Personal Story & World v World World as a viable form of progression. Where Rift failed is that doing the quests was the only viable form of progression. Everything else was filler.

Yes, because time is the answer to everything.... If you take some time off from doing Dynamic Events because they became boring, a week later you can go back to them because they'll feel fine and dandy. Yep...