Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria Overview

Comments

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

Whatever the direction blizz is going with thier changes is what think is right for them, not the players. I could care less if it's pandas or Nagas, or even poop-flinging Orangutans. You like it, you play it. You don't like, go elsewhere. I don't play WoW.

However i do try and keep up with the news and what I see of their 'talent tree' change is absurd. Customization. Seriously?

ie. My BM Hunter at lvl 15 will differ greatly from your BM hunter because I have frost arrows to slow my enemies but you have venom on yours?

How is so different than choosing yourself which ability to use? Yeah, you can't. Frost arrows are great against melees trying to smash your face in but ranged, then I'll dot them then..oops I can't, my spec doesn't allow me now.

It's limiting your choices for different situations even further by narrowing your adaptability, consequently some of the three choices are so similar that it'll make little difference in the grand scheme of things as raids will still ask (require) to have talent 'J' to be of use.

6 abilities at lvl 90 will drasticallly make each specifically chosen spec of a class THAT much different to play from one another as to cause feelings of Awe?

Sorry, but I won't be drinking any of that Kool-aid.

• DubhlaithDubhlaith Member Posts: 1,012

I don't really enjoy WoW, and I don't really like Blizzard anymore, but I don't see why there are so many people upset by this. WoW has always been a bit tongue-in-cheek, and have always mixed serious good vs. evil with comedy and pop-culture references. This is cute and fun. Not to mention they had this idea years and years ago in War3. It was an Easter egg, and it has been relatively non-cannon since then, but the lore has been thought about and been rolling around in the company for the better part of a decade now. No reason not to capitalize on movie popularity, is there?

I mean, goodness, there are a lot of things to complain about with Blizzard, but this isn't one. It's cute and fun. Lighten up.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true — you know it, and they know it." —Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

WTF? No subscription fee?

• jackie28jackie28 Member UncommonPosts: 108

Whether or not anthropomorphic Pandas were ever part of the Blizzard lore is irrelevant - this is obviously a pitch to the asian market.  They expect the Chinese to go crazy with this.  I'm already biased against foreign participation in any online game, especially when the market in question is vulnerable to economic conditions that produce sweat shops, gold farming, hacking and other unwelcome influences in our entertainment.  I suppose no one remembers the article about Chinese prisoners being forced to farm in WoW?  Not very welcome, not very fun.  And so now we invite the interest of another x million prospective players so they can discover real world economic opportunities too?  Whatever.

• jackie28jackie28 Member UncommonPosts: 108

I'm also personally a bit sick and disinterested ( not taking a specific pot-shot at Blizzard ) but with the whole concept of an anthropomorphic animal race.  This seems very uncreative to me.  I'm tired of dog-men, cat-men, cow-men, rat-men, bird-men, wolf-men, frog-men, lizard-men, and now stupid of all stupid panda-men.  COME ON.   All of this is so incredibly unlikely I cannot even START to feel immersed in the games fiction.  I think I'm in the mood for another UO, or something based off Monty Python - I dunno - where everyone plays a human and its in a decidedly western historical context.

• Teh_AxiTeh_Axi Member UncommonPosts: 380

Pandas, the SWTOR fanboys kryptonite.

@jackie28  Yeah because anything Monty Python has ever done makes waaay more sense than Pandas walking on 2 legs . . .

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Soon WoW is going to turn into a furry haven.

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883

Originally posted by AzurePrower

Soon WoW is going to turn into a furry haven.

it already was a furry haven...just ask all the druids on RP servers :P

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565

Originally posted by Dubhlaith

I don't really enjoy WoW, and I don't really like Blizzard anymore, but I don't see why there are so many people upset by this. WoW has always been a bit tongue-in-cheek, and have always mixed serious good vs. evil with comedy and pop-culture references. This is cute and fun. Not to mention they had this idea years and years ago in War3. It was an Easter egg, and it has been relatively non-cannon since then, but the lore has been thought about and been rolling around in the company for the better part of a decade now. No reason not to capitalize on movie popularity, is there?

I mean, goodness, there are a lot of things to complain about with Blizzard, but this isn't one. It's cute and fun. Lighten up.

Im not surprised at all. They continue on the same path they have been on since WotlK. Or perhaps since BC...  Instant action and a world and content that is far from serious. No exploring and meaningful travel... and so on. I mean Vanilla WoW was a virtual world even if living in that world was less demanding or hardcore compared to games like EQ. But it was still a game that was fun for MMORPG players that dont like action games. Players that think other things are much more important and not dungeon finders and simple mechanics and tools/features that remove all time sinks. Because what action gamers call time sinks is often fundamental parts of the virtual world and the fun for more traditional MMORPG players.

From my point of view the game appears to be designed for kids that like action games. And as I explained it gets more like that with every new patch and expansion. Im not really saying that adults cant like the game. But in that case they are very different gamers with a very different taste compared to me and people that agree with me.

But, of course, the panda itself is not a big problem. Even if I think its silly. I can live with things like that if the game at its core is a game I think is fun and interesting. WoW, IMO, is not....

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Have to choose a faction at level 10 is not neutral. It is just too lazy to add different races for both sides.
    In Anarchy Online when you chose the neutral path, you could visit the cities of both factions.

• OtomoxOtomox Member UncommonPosts: 303

I don´t like WoW at all but as a WC 3 player. I must say PPL SCREAMING KUNG FU PANDA ARE IDIOTS. THE PANDA BREWMASTER WAS 2003 around way before Kung Fu Panda.

• blackcat35blackcat35 Member Posts: 479

Originally posted by Otomox

I don´t like WoW at all but as a WC 3 player. I must say PPL SCREAMING KUNG FU PANDA ARE IDIOTS. THE PANDA BREWMASTER WAS 2003 around way before Kung Fu Panda.

This is so funny to me.  Pandas in WoW.  Now I read they are going to add in monks along with the Panda Race.  How can you not think KUNG FU PANDA.  I mean, add some other race.  This expansion is going to keep me in good humor for a long time. I am wondering if this is going to be simliar to NGE was for SWG.  probably not that bad.  Still, its hillarious.  You got pandas, you got the new monk class, and of course pandas are naturally monks.   I cannot fathom not thinking of KUNG FU PANDA.

What is worse is if they have you going around killing pandas.   I'm looking forward to all the humor this brings.  Don't have a tiger race for monks, have a panda race.  Its just funny. really funny.  I wonder if one of the moves is to hit the mobs with your belly, like in the movie.  ROFL

==========================
    The game is dead not, this game is good we make it and Romania Tv give it 5 goat heads, this is good rating for game.

• HexipoxHexipox Member UncommonPosts: 241

Blizzard stated loooooong ago that they wouldnt dream of being able to get new players to WOW five year after release - its now 7 years? and they still get new players. Heck they could have made puppet show and ppl would still play it.

I belive it a huge mistake that Blizzard never made a underwater enviorment, naga raids instances, forggy towns etc. just to make something that is totally different. They already copies so much from EQ1, and that, after all had underwater enviorment.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

Originally posted by helfires

Are people forgetting that Pandarens were in the warcraft lore way before the Kung Fu Panda franchise was even known? Pandarens should've been in WoW since vanilla...I bet if they were, people would be excited as fuck to be able to play as tem. Just like when goblins and worgens were introduced....

The Pandarens where made as a april fools day joke in Wow lore. And thats what they have always been up untill now just a joke. This is so lame you want panda people go play EQ2 they had them in game what 2 years ago or more now.

WoW has just shown they are goign for the chinese gold farmer crowd and the Wizaerd 101 kids. Enless you really want to tell chuck norris jokes this is no longer a game for anyone but kids. Another major step in the wrong direction in my mind. World of fuzzycraft here we come!

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430

Originally posted by Hurvart

Originally posted by Dubhlaith

Im not surprised at all. They continue on the same path they have been on since WotlK. Or perhaps since BC...  Instant action and a world and content that is far from serious. No exploring and meaningful travel... and so on. I mean Vanilla WoW was a virtual world even if living in that world was less demanding or hardcore compared to games like EQ. But it was still a game that was fun for MMORPG players that dont like action games. Players that think other things are much more important and not dungeon finders and simple mechanics and tools/features that remove all time sinks. Because what action gamers call time sinks is often fundamental parts of the virtual world and the fun for more traditional MMORPG players.

From my point of view the game appears to be designed for kids that like action games. And as I explained it gets more like that with every new patch and expansion. Im not really saying that adults cant like the game. But in that case they are very different gamers with a very different taste compared to me and people that agree with me.

But, of course, the panda itself is not a big problem. Even if I think its silly. I can live with things like that if the game at its core is a game I think is fun and interesting. WoW, IMO, is not....

Well said! What drives me further away from WoW is not graphics or storytelling elements, but overly simplified gameplay mechanics and removal of an open world feeling. They've gradually changed WoW from an MMORPG to action orientated lobby based themepark, where you can queue for any ride you want to do.

While this kind of game could be fun and for many it really is, I'm angry because the game I payed them for is gone and all I got in return is a game I would never have bought in a first place.

• IsnifArmPitsIsnifArmPits Member Posts: 26

Originally posted by jeremyjodes

Bah it's over for WOW. the years of padding subscibers numbers and the tag team threat from GW2 and SWTOR. they had to move this to younger players (little kids) and to the asian markets. I think if they add total free to play and jack up the prices on the new pokemon pets they will have for sale, then it wont be so bad. hell the pandas island is a giant cute turtle. if that didnt give the plan away i feel sad for you.

Plenty of MMO's coming stop bitchin and don't do a rage quit. just leave and save some dignity people.

I could tell they were padding subscriber numbers by the amount of money they spent on Blizzcon.  Ya, they are hurting BIG TIME, and they MUST feel the threat on their back. 

WAR almost put them out of business a few years ago <snicker>, GW2 and SWTOR are sure to put Metson into bankruptcy.

sarcasm off

• BergirBergir Member Posts: 299

I absolutely loved when EQ2 introduced "The Fallen Dynasty" which had a distinctly Asian feel. The problem was it was so small, EQ2 should have really took the bull by the horns and ran a massive expansion on this concept, it was so fresh and new.

Blizzard probably noticed this and did what EQ2 should have. This is going to be one of the best expansions yet, and at the same time completely revitalize WoW.

Notice most mmo, even WoW, start off atmospheric light, airy, whimsical, lotro is probably the best example this, then move toward serious, doom and dread feeling.

Mists of Pandaria bucks this trend, it's brilliant Blizz, absolutely brilliant decision. The only problem i'll note with this is that it's not out yet.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

I cant believe so many people really think this was done to get chinese subs.

Everything about this makes perfect sense as the expansion.   I don't see how anyone could think otherwise.  They wanted time for the horde vs alliance to start to play out which is impossible to do when there is a new huge threat all the time.  So they get to disocver this new land (and a far east, mystical feel fits this perfectly...two war hungry powers arriving on this peaceful shore).  They wanted more like Vanilla WoW, and Vanilla WoW didnt have thast central big bad guy. I think its safe to speculate that like Vanilla WoW we will be seeing an old god by the end of things as well.

The setting is very good, there is nothing wrong with the new race (which was always planned to be added into the game).  Its not childish, or silly.  It doesnt mean WoW is playing to kids or to the chinese.  its just a very natural story progression at this point.

The biggest irony of all this is that people are saying 'Blizzard is targetting kids, SWTOR is going to benefit from this'.  Because the star wars universe hasnt been mainly targetting kids since 1980....

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by rt33

I absolutely loved when EQ2 introduced "The Fallen Dynasty" which had a distinctly Asian feel. The problem was it was so small, EQ2 should have really took the bull by the horns and ran a massive expansion on this concept, it was so fresh and new.

Blizzard probably noticed this and did what EQ2 should have. This is going to be one of the best expansions yet, and at the same time completely revitalize WoW.

Notice most mmo, even WoW, start off atmospheric light, airy, whimsical, lotro is probably the best example this, then move toward serious, doom and dread feeling.

Mists of Pandaria bucks this trend, it's brilliant Blizz, absolutely brilliant decision. The only problem i'll note with this is that it's not out yet.

EQ1 did an asian themed expansion after two expansions of 'ugly' content and went over quite well at the time too (Dragons of Norrath)

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by whisperwynd

Whatever the direction blizz is going with thier changes is what think is right for them, not the players. I could care less if it's pandas or Nagas, or even poop-flinging Orangutans. You like it, you play it. You don't like, go elsewhere. I don't play WoW.

However i do try and keep up with the news and what I see of their 'talent tree' change is absurd. Customization. Seriously?

ie. My BM Hunter at lvl 15 will differ greatly from your BM hunter because I have frost arrows to slow my enemies but you have venom on yours?

How is so different than choosing yourself which ability to use? Yeah, you can't. Frost arrows are great against melees trying to smash your face in but ranged, then I'll dot them then..oops I can't, my spec doesn't allow me now.

It's limiting your choices for different situations even further by narrowing your adaptability, consequently some of the three choices are so similar that it'll make little difference in the grand scheme of things as raids will still ask (require) to have talent 'J' to be of use.

6 abilities at lvl 90 will drasticallly make each specifically chosen spec of a class THAT much different to play from one another as to cause feelings of Awe?

Well stated.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• VaettirVaettir Member Posts: 68

Hooray! 

WoW was losing its sense of humor, I think.

Just when I swear off the game for good, they move in a different direction. I'll never escape >.>

• BergirBergir Member Posts: 299

Originally posted by teakbois

Originally posted by rt33

EQ1 did an asian themed expansion after two expansions of 'ugly' content and went over quite well at the time too (Dragons of Norrath)

Thanks teakbois, i do remember hearing about that one now, i think i was into EQ2 by that time and missed it.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Originally posted by just1opinion

Originally posted by whisperwynd

Well stated.

We aren't quite sure yet what level the chosen specialization will have on available ability choice and stats, however.

I imagine it will be similar to what we see now with the unique abilities and passive bonuses + mastery, but I hope they expand the specializations more to account for the loss of many stat-based role-defining talents.

The intended idea, as I understand it, is that every player of a specific class and specialization will have access to the same core stats/bonuses and abilities without talents "getting in the way" and the talent choices add the flavor/utility.

But how different will they truly be?

They have also said they are considering allowing you to change your specs much more frequently and giving you free reign on customization instead of just having two reserved specs.

Like pick up a specific utility ability for a specific encounter kind of thing.

If anything it should allow people to multi-spec for PvE/PvP small/large group / solo etc. much easier then now, and that is a win.

I'm hesitent to say I "like" the new system, but simply because I know so little beyond what was released thus far.

• LeviathonlxLeviathonlx Member Posts: 135

Maybe one day a fantasy MMO out there will be good enough to lure me over but that time hasn't come yet. Rift sucked (and deleted my account for some reason while I was unsubbed), I have no interest in Star Wars, and GW2 is F2P so there is no reason I can't easily just play both.

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

Originally posted by BadSpock

We aren't quite sure yet what level the chosen specialization will have on available ability choice and stats, however.

I imagine it will be similar to what we see now with the unique abilities and passive bonuses + mastery, but I hope they expand the specializations more to account for the loss of many stat-based role-defining talents.

The intended idea, as I understand it, is that every player of a specific class and specialization will have access to the same core stats/bonuses and abilities without talents "getting in the way" and the talent choices add the flavor/utility.

But how different will they truly be?

They have also said they are considering allowing you to change your specs much more frequently and giving you free reign on customization instead of just having two reserved specs.

Like pick up a specific utility ability for a specific encounter kind of thing.

If anything it should allow people to multi-spec for PvE/PvP small/large group / solo etc. much easier then now, and that is a win.

I'm hesitent to say I "like" the new system, but simply because I know so little beyond what was released thus far.

I agree it could be vastly different than stated by the Blizzcon vid I watched, though by how much is still a guess. However, the statement given for the talent tree change was 'To give more customization' to the classes.

If all warriors have the same core abilities, then all spec talents from any of the three specialization talents (ie Fury, Arms, Prot) are the same but you get this tier of 1 ability every 15 lvls (your choice of three possible abilities) adding up to 6 choices made by 90, then I sure hope there are more to it than that for the players.

Otherwise, the real 'choice' to building your toon is really out the window and what you have left is slightly different yet similar in mechanic abilities that have little to no impact on creating something unique.

In all honesty, those who will still want to play WoW will adapt to the changes, they have no choice. Personally I find it a poor direction to take in the mmo genre. Weren't mmo's supposed to be all about choice? Can change your hair and facial hair with a multitude of choices of style and color, but my Arms war will mostly be like all the other Arms wars but for my double charge to your stunning one and so on.

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

Well said! What drives me further away from WoW is not graphics or storytelling elements, but overly simplified gameplay mechanics and removal of an open world feeling. They've gradually changed WoW from an MMORPG to action orientated lobby based themepark, where you can queue for any ride you want to do.

While this kind of game could be fun and for many it really is, I'm angry because the game I payed them for is gone and all I got in return is a game I would never have bought in a first place.

How many times was this said when SWG got NGE'd? I believe the response from most people was "get over it." It frickin blows when it happens no doubt.

Then again you have paid for what you have played. You can cancel now and not have to deal with the new direction that you believe the game is going. SWG people didn't really get that option. They got slammed right after the expansion was released. At least Blizzard has shown you whats coming and given you plenty of time to jump ship if that is your choice. So as bad as it may seem to you it could always be worse.