Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria Overview

Comments

• faxnadufaxnadu HelsinkiPosts: 940Member Uncommon

Originally posted by parrotpholk

Yet no one had an issue with playing a cow or goat or werewolf.  

This

• GreenHellGreenHell ludlow, MAPosts: 1,322Member Uncommon

Domination must have a different meaning to people than what it means to me! Let’s see WOW has lost almost a million people out of the 4.5 million that was playing WoW in Europe and North America.

Yep that speaks of domination to me after all the consistent increase in numbers across the board over everyone else. What you mean WoW has declined in numbers over the last year; I mean the domination of the Asian Market that continues to increase in numbers!   

Definition of DOMINATION

: supremacy or preeminence over another

: exercise of mastery or ruling power

: exercise of preponderant, governing, or controlling influence

This sums up the role that WoW plays in this genre. Time for you to change your definiton.

As far as your links go this is the line that really stuck out to me...

"Activision Blizzard's earning call was today and we learned, among other things, that the WoW playerbase is down to 11.4M players."

After that they lost another 300k players. They lost more than most MMORPG's have and still they dominate.

I dont like WoW. It's not my kind of game. However, they do rule this genre. Every developer wants a piece of what they have. To deny this is just foolish. In time it may change but as of right now Blizzard is King.

• jmcgrathjmcgrath PortlaoisePosts: 23Member

Blizzard will make it work, and the new class and talent system as well as wow-pokemon battles WILL be good changes/additions...

... but seriously people... after YEARS of playing this game, isn't it time you realise its aimed at children primarily, with raiding and lore for adults... so your game is going back to its roots with Factional conflict and a fun new continent that isnt all about death and demonic incursions... fantasy to a lot of people is Goldshire/Crystalsong type places.

Maybe its time you grow up/find another game - but if you can get in gear with this (when its out as opposed to focing yourself now, considering we have crappy information on the expansion beyond starting zone) then do so.. and you'll continue to play wow for times to come.

• IllyssiaIllyssia LondonPosts: 1,524Member

Originally posted by Laughing-man

Originally posted by teakbois

Originally posted by Illyssia

I am thinking here that the artwork may be getting a little near to the Kung-Fu Panda movie that Paramount/Viacom did.

Scary how the suits who run Blizzard have stolen the idea of martial arts Panda. Clearly the look and feel are similar and aimed at childrens market. Yeash...I will be staying away from future Blizzard expansions based on this one (I am an adult gamer).

Because Pandaren monks didnt predate Kung Fu panda or anything.  Maybe Blizzard stole the idea from Blizzard?

Or maybe its the animal that most represents a region and a style of fighting that most represents a region?  No, it OBVIOUSLY came from a movie...

This, a thousand times this!

Plus, Those of you playing WoW as a serious high fantasy game are NUTS!

This game is CLEARLY a SATIRE of high fantasy. 

It is Kung-Fu Panda reworked into the Blizzard low brow lets please everyone and especially the kids fantasy. I mean, common, just look at it...

and where Blizz are coming from 

• parrotpholkparrotpholk Leland, NCPosts: 3,275Member

The fact this xpac is different from the ones before it should excite people since one of the main complaints has been that blizz just puts out more of the same.  I checked out the cesspool that is the WOW forums and those folks on the whole seem very excited about what they are doing. Its just this site that seems to be doing the name calling right now.  But then on the whole that is very normal here.

• MukeMuke BredaPosts: 2,172Member Uncommon

Originally posted by jmcgrath

with raiding and lore for adults...

I can't imagine adults play WOW as a main MMO, unless they have some mental problems.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

Originally posted by Muke

I can't imagine adults play WOW as a main MMO, unless they have some mental problems.

Gamer's average age is in the 30s.  I would say a large part of the WOW base is adults over 18.  Sometimes folks just like to have fun and not take a hobby so seriously.

I don't think they do anymore either. The buisness suits who run Blizz have probably done some market research showing that the under 16 market is where they have the best numbers now. That explain the Kung-Fu Panda expansion.

• blondehblondeh CoventryPosts: 540Member

Swtor has nothing to worry about.... Blizzard just killed wow themeselves!

• HairysunHairysun none, OHPosts: 1,060Member

Oh come on, there are quite a few out there that are genuinely excited about  this "Panda" thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrsM9WggCdo&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL77DE1B9B853DA90E

Blizzard knows exactly what they are doing .....

• theinvadertheinvader MachynllethPosts: 240Member

Welcome to Pandaria! Home of the great Pandaren! They are inspired by Pandas! Can you tell?

Always read the small print.

• GothikaboyGothikaboy SödertäljePosts: 119Member

Originally posted by WSIMike

.... really?

Pandas?

This isn't a joke?

lol I swear I'm not being sarcastic or snarky... I'm just wondering how we go from Cataclysms... to Kung Fu Pandas...

The Pandaren race comes way back from Warcraft 3.

Please do not hype any gam.. oh wait, nevermind... forgot what forum I was on.

But the Panda race hasn't been fleshed out into much untill now.

• HurvartHurvart ystadPosts: 565Member

Gamer's average age is in the 30s.  I would say a large part of the WOW base is adults over 18.  Sometimes folks just like to have fun and not take a hobby so seriously.

I think there is content that children think is cool. Then there is content that parents and people that care about children think is OK or good for children.

But its not always the same thing. A lot of children want to pretend to be adults. They want to do things that they think adult people like to do. They want to do things that that are forbidden. Thats why some kids would love to play a game that is packed with blood, violence and sex. But parents and others would certainly not agree its content for kids or that its good for them play it. And unless a company wants to start a war againts all the parents in the world and get black listed everywhere they would not release a game like that and try to sell it to kids.

I think Blizzard is creating content for kids. Content that they believe parents will think is harmless, fun and OK. Some people believe that most kids would like violent games. But parents and organizations decide if a game is really designed for children or not. And clearly WoW is designed based on that reality.  The goal appears to be that most parents should think its OK for young children to play it. IMO, this is very obvious. And it makes the game less interesting for adults. And this new expansion makes it more obvious than ever. Things that can be considered harmless fun for children will sometimes be a bit silly for adults. Perhaps not for everyone...But in general I think its true.

• SukiyakiSukiyaki GreenwichPosts: 1,398Member Uncommon

- Everything looks like some forced Kung Fu Panda knock off with Pokemon on top and simplfied talenttrees instead of any sort of improvement on the game "WoW".

- OMG WoW had Pandaren years ago. Its in their story! Stop bitching! And pokemon pets are insanely cool, nevermind my past mockery of games with lots of utility pets! And talents are much more about customization now instead of bloated trees, nevermind my years of mockery of other MMOs due to their quantitive lesser choices compared to bloated Wow trees, ignorant of the qualitative costumization potential, simply put mocking pure skill based character customization they had years ago which is now coming to WoW after 6 years.

- Its still looks like a glaring Kung Fu Panda knock off from beginning to end and Pandaren had Brewmaster not Kung Fu monks! And I dont like to have pokemon kids running around everywher in my game! And the talents are just slimed down to what they should've been from the start at launch, they went from bad to generic.

- OMG Stop hating WoW! You just hate WoW because its the most popular and its the cool thing to hate on the popular. You're just saying all this because you lack real arguments against WoW! WoWs the best! 12 Million chinese accounts prove it! Therefore your opinion is wrong!

Its like pretty much the same argument has been repeated like hundred times over the whole web since yesterday...only the fact countless of people will churn out another 50$ for this joke is more hilarious.

Originally posted by Hurvart

I think there is content that children think is cool. Then there is content that parents and people that care about children think is OK or good for children.

But its not always the same thing. A lot of children want to pretend to be adults. They want to do things that they think adult people like to do. They want to do things that that are forbidden. Thats why some kids would love to play a game that is packed with blood, violence and sex. But parents and others would certainly not agree its content for kids or that its good for them play it. And unless a company wants to start a war againts all the parents in the world and get black listed everywhere they would not release a game like that and try to sell it to kids.

I think Blizzard is creating content for kids. Content that they believe parents will think is harmless, fun and OK. Some people believe that most kids would like violent games. But parents and organizations decide if a game is really designed for children or not. And clearly WoW is designed based on that reality.  The goal appears to be that most parents should think its OK for young children to play it. IMO, this is very obvious. And it makes the game less interesting for adults. And this new expansion makes it more obvious than ever. Things that can be considered harmless fun for children will sometimes be a bit silly for adults. Perhaps not for everyone...But in general I think its true.

I can somewhat agree as a parent myself with a good portion of that.  But then my daughter would rather read a book that watch TV or play a video game so I am thrilled about that.  That said I think people are assuming to much herer.  Playing a panda is not any different than playing a cow or blue half squid or half goat.  Its all equally childish but at the same time a lot of adults play this game and many others.  Look at the interest here in Tera which has a panda like race.   I think its a bit arrogant of people to assume that Blizz is only targetting children here.  Large companies with that much money on the line have whole teams who do focus testing and market research to find out what will make the most money and appeal to the broadest range.

Granted a lot of the hate is centered here to this site which is normal for all the bitterness that is on exhibit here daily.

• IsnifArmPitsIsnifArmPits Hanover Park, ILPosts: 26Member

Originally posted by Wraithone

Originally posted by Quesa

I still say it's a way for them to scale back their dev-investment.  If they are able to lower what is needed then they can shift resources to Titan while keeping their moneypot open for business.

double facepalm

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Aurora, ILPosts: 2,656Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Elidien

Personally, I think Blizzard does not care and either has plans to change it for China or like you said, grease some wheels. I think after the WOTLK debacle, Chinese gold-farming prisons and the now WOW ripoff themepark....Blizzard is probably getting very frustrated with China and I am very curious as to their plans/concerns with the Pandaren as it relates to China.

Somehow I don't think the Chinese are going to have any issue with pandas in WoW's new expansion. Seems they have been playing with pandas in their mmos for years now...

Also I for one am very interested in seeing how this expansion plays out. For ages, expansions from Blizzard have always been about a central villian. So it's nice to see a race, PvP and a new social timesink get the spotlight now. And as for Pandarens, as other have stated, that idea has been floating around in Blizzard's camp since 2004 now. So if they can capitalize off the perfect luck of having thought up the panda/chinese connection and the timing of the Kung-Fu Panda franchise and gain even more ground by doing it, who are really the fools here?

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• ZezelZezel Pittsburgh, PAPosts: 132Member

Race is actually pretty cool, the WoW gameplay is what is not.

Nothing fun about grind for gear to be outdated on the next patch, rinse, repeat.

If you don't like a game don't play it, and quit running to MMORPG.com to trash it.

• teakboisteakbois Parlin, NJPosts: 2,154Member

I would think the amount of WoW players under 18 is at most 10-15%, and 2/3rds of those probably play because their parents play also.

Its the immature 25 year olds that plague WoW.  The people telling chuck norris jokes and spamming trade chat with anal and thunderfury links?  They arent under 18...

• CacophanistCacophanist MumbaiPosts: 100Member

Originally posted by Cacophanist

(WOW clones that are clones of EQ I might add)

Name one game that is remotely like EQ1.  Even Vanguard isnt that much like it, though its probably the closest.  Non linear, non quest based leveling.  Intricate grouping dynamics requiring more than just tank, heals dps.  A real sense of danger.  54 man raids.  Tough regular mobs.  Huge, non instanced dungeons.  Challenging, rewarding.

Nothing released since is like EQ1.  WoW is as different form EQ1 as you can get and still be an MMORPG.

Ok where to start - how about ever single game that uses the holy trinity and uses terms like DPS, has EQ shitty combat system with added button mashing, how about every game that has pointless kill x of y and fetch y of x, how about nearly EVERY SINGLE DAMN MMO SINCE EQ 1 ?! 

When I talk about innovative new game play I mean games that use different systems to the ones that EQ and its clones uses - see Darkfall, see PlanetSide, see Firefall, see Fallen Earth (well maybe not). See any damn MMO that tries to do things different to WOWs established mould. That mould came from EQ.

• teakboisteakbois Parlin, NJPosts: 2,154Member

(WOW clones that are clones of EQ I might add)

Name one game that is remotely like EQ1.  Even Vanguard isnt that much like it, though its probably the closest.  Non linear, non quest based leveling.  Intricate grouping dynamics requiring more than just tank, heals dps.  A real sense of danger.  54 man raids.  Tough regular mobs.  Huge, non instanced dungeons.  Challenging, rewarding.

Nothing released since is like EQ1.  WoW is as different form EQ1 as you can get and still be an MMORPG.

Ok where to start - how about ever single game that uses the holy trinity and uses terms like DPS, has EQ shitty combat system with added button mashing, how about every game that has pointless kill x of y and fetch y of x, how about nearly EVERY SINGLE DAMN MMO SINCE EQ 1 ?! 

When I talk about innovative new game play I mean games that use different systems to the ones that EQ and its clones uses - see Darkfall, see PlanetSide, see Firefall, see Fallen Earth (well maybe not). See any damn MMO that tries to do things different to WOWs established mould. That mould came from EQ.

EQ1 didnt even use a holy trinity, although the term did come form there.  The 'ideal' trinity was Warrior, Cleric, Enchanter.  However, for most content you needed Tank, Heals, Slower, and a puller or crowd control.  Oh yeah, and dps.  EQ1 was very much about group mechanics and teamwork, which has been mostly lost since.

EQ1 was not about fetch quests.  EQ1 was much closer to a sandbox, you were put in the world with no goal but the ones you set.

I dont see how anyone who played both EQ1 and WoW could call the games similar.  they dont feel similar at all.

Your beef is with themepark games, and that term didnt even exist until after EQ.  EQ1 is NOT a themepark, nor is it a full sandbox.  It is EQ1.

Oh and show me an MMO where combat isnt button mashing?  EQ1 you did a lot less button mashing than today's generation, but even sandbox games have button mashing.  Button mashing is a video game thing, not an MMORPG thing

Oh and Firefall and Planetside arent even MMORPGs.  Anmd they certainly dont break any new ground in combat.

• KanoRainKanoRain Atlanta, GAPosts: 94Member

Originally posted by Purutzil

Pandaren are part of the lore...

LOL

Originally posted by Deleted User

So much of the game is centered around forced grouping that soloing is not an option, major design flaw in my opinion.

^
    ^lol

• ElikalElikal ValhallaPosts: 7,906Member Uncommon

Hm. I never was a WOW fan or hater. I played WOW about 6 or 7 months, had a good time, but also saw how some features WOW introduced or made popular are not so good. Like faction grind asf.

Still, one has to wonder what target audience they have in mind here. It is an odd move for the Trade Feder... err for Blizzard. ;)

Many bash WOW stuff, but when the thing launches many will try it out, I assume. It is the way of things.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• bakabrödbakabröd lysekilPosts: 129Member

i think its cool. maybe the asian market doesnt whine so much?