Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria Overview

Comments

• HairysunHairysun Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

Oh come on, there are quite a few out there that are genuinely excited about  this "Panda" thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrsM9WggCdo&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL77DE1B9B853DA90E

Blizzard knows exactly what they are doing .....

• theinvadertheinvader Member UncommonPosts: 240

Welcome to Pandaria! Home of the great Pandaren! They are inspired by Pandas! Can you tell?

Always read the small print.

• GothikaboyGothikaboy Member UncommonPosts: 119

Originally posted by WSIMike

.... really?

Pandas?

This isn't a joke?

lol I swear I'm not being sarcastic or snarky... I'm just wondering how we go from Cataclysms... to Kung Fu Pandas...

The Pandaren race comes way back from Warcraft 3.

Please do not hype any gam.. oh wait, nevermind... forgot what forum I was on.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

But the Panda race hasn't been fleshed out into much untill now.

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565

Originally posted by parrotpholk

Originally posted by Muke

Originally posted by jmcgrath

with raiding and lore for adults...

I can't imagine adults play WOW as a main MMO, unless they have some mental problems.

Gamer's average age is in the 30s.  I would say a large part of the WOW base is adults over 18.  Sometimes folks just like to have fun and not take a hobby so seriously.

I think there is content that children think is cool. Then there is content that parents and people that care about children think is OK or good for children.

But its not always the same thing. A lot of children want to pretend to be adults. They want to do things that they think adult people like to do. They want to do things that that are forbidden. Thats why some kids would love to play a game that is packed with blood, violence and sex. But parents and others would certainly not agree its content for kids or that its good for them play it. And unless a company wants to start a war againts all the parents in the world and get black listed everywhere they would not release a game like that and try to sell it to kids.

I think Blizzard is creating content for kids. Content that they believe parents will think is harmless, fun and OK. Some people believe that most kids would like violent games. But parents and organizations decide if a game is really designed for children or not. And clearly WoW is designed based on that reality.  The goal appears to be that most parents should think its OK for young children to play it. IMO, this is very obvious. And it makes the game less interesting for adults. And this new expansion makes it more obvious than ever. Things that can be considered harmless fun for children will sometimes be a bit silly for adults. Perhaps not for everyone...But in general I think its true.

• IsnifArmPitsIsnifArmPits Member Posts: 26

Originally posted by Wraithone

Originally posted by teakbois

Originally posted by Quesa

I still say it's a way for them to scale back their dev-investment.  If they are able to lower what is needed then they can shift resources to Titan while keeping their moneypot open for business.

double facepalm

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Originally posted by Elidien

Personally, I think Blizzard does not care and either has plans to change it for China or like you said, grease some wheels. I think after the WOTLK debacle, Chinese gold-farming prisons and the now WOW ripoff themepark....Blizzard is probably getting very frustrated with China and I am very curious as to their plans/concerns with the Pandaren as it relates to China.

Somehow I don't think the Chinese are going to have any issue with pandas in WoW's new expansion. Seems they have been playing with pandas in their mmos for years now...

Also I for one am very interested in seeing how this expansion plays out. For ages, expansions from Blizzard have always been about a central villian. So it's nice to see a race, PvP and a new social timesink get the spotlight now. And as for Pandarens, as other have stated, that idea has been floating around in Blizzard's camp since 2004 now. So if they can capitalize off the perfect luck of having thought up the panda/chinese connection and the timing of the Kung-Fu Panda franchise and gain even more ground by doing it, who are really the fools here?

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• ZezelZezel Member Posts: 132

Race is actually pretty cool, the WoW gameplay is what is not.

Nothing fun about grind for gear to be outdated on the next patch, rinse, repeat.

If you don't like a game don't play it, and quit running to MMORPG.com to trash it.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

I would think the amount of WoW players under 18 is at most 10-15%, and 2/3rds of those probably play because their parents play also.

Its the immature 25 year olds that plague WoW.  The people telling chuck norris jokes and spamming trade chat with anal and thunderfury links?  They arent under 18...

• CacophanistCacophanist Member Posts: 100

Originally posted by Cacophanist

(WOW clones that are clones of EQ I might add)

Name one game that is remotely like EQ1.  Even Vanguard isnt that much like it, though its probably the closest.  Non linear, non quest based leveling.  Intricate grouping dynamics requiring more than just tank, heals dps.  A real sense of danger.  54 man raids.  Tough regular mobs.  Huge, non instanced dungeons.  Challenging, rewarding.

Nothing released since is like EQ1.  WoW is as different form EQ1 as you can get and still be an MMORPG.

Ok where to start - how about ever single game that uses the holy trinity and uses terms like DPS, has EQ shitty combat system with added button mashing, how about every game that has pointless kill x of y and fetch y of x, how about nearly EVERY SINGLE DAMN MMO SINCE EQ 1 ?! 

When I talk about innovative new game play I mean games that use different systems to the ones that EQ and its clones uses - see Darkfall, see PlanetSide, see Firefall, see Fallen Earth (well maybe not). See any damn MMO that tries to do things different to WOWs established mould. That mould came from EQ.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

(WOW clones that are clones of EQ I might add)

Name one game that is remotely like EQ1.  Even Vanguard isnt that much like it, though its probably the closest.  Non linear, non quest based leveling.  Intricate grouping dynamics requiring more than just tank, heals dps.  A real sense of danger.  54 man raids.  Tough regular mobs.  Huge, non instanced dungeons.  Challenging, rewarding.

Nothing released since is like EQ1.  WoW is as different form EQ1 as you can get and still be an MMORPG.

Ok where to start - how about ever single game that uses the holy trinity and uses terms like DPS, has EQ shitty combat system with added button mashing, how about every game that has pointless kill x of y and fetch y of x, how about nearly EVERY SINGLE DAMN MMO SINCE EQ 1 ?! 

When I talk about innovative new game play I mean games that use different systems to the ones that EQ and its clones uses - see Darkfall, see PlanetSide, see Firefall, see Fallen Earth (well maybe not). See any damn MMO that tries to do things different to WOWs established mould. That mould came from EQ.

EQ1 didnt even use a holy trinity, although the term did come form there.  The 'ideal' trinity was Warrior, Cleric, Enchanter.  However, for most content you needed Tank, Heals, Slower, and a puller or crowd control.  Oh yeah, and dps.  EQ1 was very much about group mechanics and teamwork, which has been mostly lost since.

EQ1 was not about fetch quests.  EQ1 was much closer to a sandbox, you were put in the world with no goal but the ones you set.

I dont see how anyone who played both EQ1 and WoW could call the games similar.  they dont feel similar at all.

Your beef is with themepark games, and that term didnt even exist until after EQ.  EQ1 is NOT a themepark, nor is it a full sandbox.  It is EQ1.

Oh and show me an MMO where combat isnt button mashing?  EQ1 you did a lot less button mashing than today's generation, but even sandbox games have button mashing.  Button mashing is a video game thing, not an MMORPG thing

Oh and Firefall and Planetside arent even MMORPGs.  Anmd they certainly dont break any new ground in combat.

• KanoRainKanoRain Member Posts: 94

Originally posted by Purutzil

Pandaren are part of the lore...

LOL

Originally posted by Deleted User

So much of the game is centered around forced grouping that soloing is not an option, major design flaw in my opinion.

^
    ^lol

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Hm. I never was a WOW fan or hater. I played WOW about 6 or 7 months, had a good time, but also saw how some features WOW introduced or made popular are not so good. Like faction grind asf.

Still, one has to wonder what target audience they have in mind here. It is an odd move for the Trade Feder... err for Blizzard. ;)

Many bash WOW stuff, but when the thing launches many will try it out, I assume. It is the way of things.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• bakabrödbakabröd Member Posts: 129

i think its cool. maybe the asian market doesnt whine so much?

• orangedudeorangedude Member Posts: 7

It's too bad that it's more fun to work than play wow now. Playing wow is like working at a crappy job but with no pay.

• metalguy23metalguy23 Member Posts: 90

I would like to thank Blizzard for this big time. I haven't played since 2007 and I will not be playing ever again thanks guys, also thanks for pushing me towards Guild wars 2 which looks and sounds amazing Blizz have lost it completely, no upgrades to the engine no character model upgrades no excitement just pandarans in panderia what? Pandas were a joke way back with WC3 why put them in your MMO? Are you insane? Are you marketing this game for the little asian girls wtf? Pokemon? Are you nuts? I shake my head in disgust. Also the game is old just go F2P or lower the sub it's the right thing to do since you are coming out with another MMO

• Rusty715Rusty715 Member Posts: 482

Originally posted by bakabröd

i think its cool. maybe the asian market doesnt whine so much?

Asians love grind and Panda bears, why would they whine?

Really? This game sucks and Im not having fun? Im going to unsub right now. Thanks for the tip.

• GothikaboyGothikaboy Member UncommonPosts: 119

I hate world of warcraft.

And I have to write about it on this forum.

Damn I have a life now, achievement unlocked guys.

Please do not hype any gam.. oh wait, nevermind... forgot what forum I was on.

• SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884

Drunk, fat, Panda Monks!  Hell Yeah, I'm so there.

That's besides the point dough, Pet Battles is the killer app here. I have never seen a more universally positive response to an announced feature for WoW. I was watching on WoW friendly sites, but those places can be the most contenteous places on the internet, not this time, they were all singing in unison 

I wanna be the very best

Like no one ever was

To catch them is my real test

To train them is my cause

I will travel across the land

Searching far and wide

Each None-Combat Pet to understand

The power that's inside

Non-Combat Pet, its you and me

I know it's my destiny

Non-Combat Pet, oh, you're my best friend

In a world we must defend

Non-Combat Pet, a heart so true

Our courage will pull us through

You teach me and I'll teach you

Noooooooon-Coooombaaaaat Peeeeet

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

Originally posted by metalguy23

I would like to thank Blizzard for this big time. I haven't played since 2007 and I will not be playing ever again thanks guys, also thanks for pushing me towards Guild wars 2 which looks and sounds amazing Blizz have lost it completely, no upgrades to the engine no character model upgrades no excitement just pandarans in panderia what? Pandas were a joke way back with WC3 why put them in your MMO? Are you insane? Are you marketing this game for the little asian girls wtf? Pokemon? Are you nuts? I shake my head in disgust. Also the game is old just go F2P or lower the sub it's the right thing to do since you are coming out with another MMO

Lets be honest here other than Blizzard making WoW in to GW2 there is no way you were going to go back. It's been 4 years so obviously there is something (or many things) about the game that you dislike. It has nothing to do with Pandas, pokemon or this expansion.

I don't play WoW. I don't like WoW. I didn't like it long before the Pandas..just like you didn't.

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

Bah it's over for WOW. the years of padding subscibers numbers and the tag team threat from GW2 and SWTOR. they had to move this to younger players (little kids) and to the asian markets. I think if they add total free to play and jack up the prices on the new pokemon pets they will have for sale, then it wont be so bad. hell the pandas island is a giant cute turtle. if that didnt give the plan away i feel sad for you.

Plenty of MMO's coming stop bitchin and don't do a rage quit. just leave and save some dignity people.

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

Originally posted by GreenHell

Originally posted by metalguy23

Lets be honest here other than Blizzard making WoW in to GW2 there is no way you were going to go back. It's been 4 years so obviously there is something (or many things) about the game that you dislike. It has nothing to do with Pandas, pokemon or this expansion.

I don't play WoW. I don't like WoW. I didn't like it long before the Pandas..just like you didn't.

image QFT

Please, I highly  doubt you had any plans  of going back to WoW if you haven't played since 2007. I'm more surprised you still harbor so much resentment  towards the game. So much so that  you felt compelled to throw a tantrum over an expansion for a game you haven't played in 4 years!?!?

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• plescureplescure Member UncommonPosts: 397

Originally posted by AzurePrower

Whooooooooa! WhooooooooooOOOOoooah!

Pandarens were Kung Fu Fighting!

Excitement died as fast as lightning.

The seriousness was a little bit frightening.

But SWTOR will arrive with expert timing.

Defias Pillager says

HUH!

HUH!

HUH!

HUH!

HUH!

HUH!

HUH!

lol

If someone is talking in general chat in a language you dont understand, chances are they're not talking to you. So chill out and stop bitching about it!

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by lathaan

its the first time i got an urge to try out wow. the expansion looks plain fun. panda monks. i'm in!

It's the first expansion since release that I absolutely WILL NOT be buying.  Amazing how differently two people receive things, isn't it?

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• Rusty715Rusty715 Member Posts: 482

Originally posted by just1opinion

Originally posted by lathaan

its the first time i got an urge to try out wow. the expansion looks plain fun. panda monks. i'm in!

It's the first expansion since release that I absolutely WILL NOT be buying.  Amazing how differently two people receive things, isn't it?

Im in the same boat. Been playing WOW a long time,  sometimes taking breaks to try the new stuff, but honestly since BC my interest has gotten less and less. This xpac has killed any desire I have to continue. As for lathaan. If youve not played WOW before I will just say you have missed the best of it.

Really? This game sucks and Im not having fun? Im going to unsub right now. Thanks for the tip.