Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria Overview

Comments

• WraithoneWraithone Salt Lake City, UTPosts: 3,592Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Zzad

Originally posted by Yamota

Originally posted by garrett

Just keep in mind how big WoW is in China...

this

Obviously WoW has changed  their aiming player base.

Now they aim for chinesse 10-17 year old playerbase.....millions of them.

If u like to play children games cheer up! :P

Millions and millions and millions of them... ^^  From a business stand point, it makes all the sense in the world.  The Asian markets are greater than NA and Europe combined at this point, and they will only increase. Their population is also used to cash shops in their games.  At this point, Blizzard could lose everyone in NA and Europe and still have millions of players, and that will only increase with the next expansion. 

• ElidienElidien Atlanta, GAPosts: 1,058Member

Originally posted by Wraithone

this

Millions and millions and millions of them... ^^  From a business stand point, it makes all the sense in the world.  The Asian markets are greater than NA and Europe combined at this point, and they will only increase. Their population is also used to cash shops in their games.  At this point, Blizzard could lose everyone in NA and Europe and still have millions of players, and that will only increase with the next expansion. 

The only problem is the government of those millions will never approve the expansion. if you think getting WOTLk through the Chinese government censors was difficult, this will be even worse.

Originally posted by Elidien

this

The only problem is the government of those millions will never approve the expansion. if you think getting WOTLk through the Chinese government censors was difficult, this will be even worse.

Depends on who their partner is, and how many palms can be well greased. Don't kid yourself, the officials of the Chinese government are up for sale, just as those of any nation state are.  All it takes is the proper connections, resources and approach.   It remains to be seen if Blizzards partner has what it takes. Time will tell. 

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 New York, NYPosts: 365Member

Originally posted by Laughing-man

Originally posted by Scypheroth

Been playing WoW since it first came out...been playing Warcraft since day one on my DOS system...now with this new ridiculas expansion comming out i am going to say that for once i am ashamed of owning and supporting blizzard over the years....this is the biggest slap in the face since female dwarfs with no beards....

Did you buy Frozen throne?

They had Pandaren.

What about fool me twice?

LoL, thats what crack me up when i see people posting claiming they played the Warcraft series, but yet still they are shock the Pandas are in WoW.. If some persons where part of the WoW forum, they would have seen that people were requesting Pandarens since the first Expansion. Why, because they saw WoW as a game Blizz could fully tell the tale of Pandarens race that where last seen in Warcraft 3... I find it amazing and daring on Blizz half to keep adding and trying new stuff in WoW, who would have taught of a mini Pokemon Game...

• ElidienElidien Atlanta, GAPosts: 1,058Member

Originally posted by Elidien

this

Depends on who their partner is, and how many palms can be well greased. Don't kid yourself, the officials of the Chinese government are up for sale, just as those of any nation state are.  All it takes is the proper connections, resources and approach.   It remains to be seen if Blizzards partner has what it takes. Time will tell. 

Personally, I think Blizzard does not care and either has plans to change it for China or like you said, grease some wheels. I think after the WOTLK debacle, Chinese gold-farming prisons and the now WOW ripoff themepark....Blizzard is probably getting very frustrated with China and I am very curious as to their plans/concerns with the Pandaren as it relates to China.

• DhraalDhraal VillachPosts: 40Member

Originally posted by teakbois

I dont see any silliness though.  No way its more silly than the goblins.  If Pandarens are all bumbling idiots, then yes, but it looks like they wont be.  But its an asian themed expansion, they want to unleash the two greedy, warring factions on a serene peaceful land.  Is it really that bad to have the Panda as the representation for this race?  It fits 100% in WoW's world and really inst silly at all.

A werewolve dancing like lady gaga and an elf dancing like michael jackson, THATS silly.

Yes. If one does not like this silly things he should have never played wow. This reminds me of some dicussions I had with friends about the Indiana Jones 4 movie. Where they said its so silly, no real Indiana Jones etc. etc. But if you look at 1-3 the humor and everything is quite consistent with 4. 

• BlackWatchBlackWatch OKC, OKPosts: 983Member

Having Panda's as an optional playable race... okay.

Having an entire expansion revolve around them... wtf.

Underwhelming.  Honestly.

Cute.  Funny.  Sure.  I get it. I do.

But what about the folks that wanted something 'above' and 'beyond'... further character development and a deeper, more meaningful direction for the characters that we've been playing for 7 years?

The views of the 'vocal' don't necessarily reflect the views of the 'masses' or the 'majority'.  Understood.  But for those players that want something more for our characters... aside from another RAID boss to fight OR another arena season to go through... what is there?

• AKASlaphappyAKASlaphappy Boise, IDPosts: 800Member

Originally posted by GreenHell

I really don't think that is it at all. You overestimate how many people will leave WoW. There have been other games where people have made the same predictions and yet WoW continues on its path of total domination. ToR will be no different to WoW than Warhammer, Conan, Rift  or (insert imaginary WoW killer name here) was.

Domination must have a different meaning to people than what it means to me! Let’s see WOW has lost almost a million people out of the 4.5 million that was playing WoW in Europe and North America.

Yep that speaks of domination to me after all the consistent increase in numbers across the board over everyone else. What you mean WoW has declined in numbers over the last year; I mean the domination of the Asian Market that continues to increase in numbers!   

• CacophanistCacophanist MumbaiPosts: 100Member

I played WOW for a few days back in 2006. It is so nice to see that the graphics are still as catoony and sickening as before. So nice to see that the game offer nothing new to the MMO genre still and is solely responsible for diverting the MMO genre from new and more interesting play styles. so nice that do to WOW we end up with endless WOW clones (WOW clones that are clones of EQ I might add)

Arghhhhhhh !!!!

Does no one else see how bad this game is?!! No one see how it has ruined MMO development?!! How can so many people play this shite ?!!!

Any now they added another generic fantasy element - the monk with an oriental style to the zone..... FFS.

• QuesaQuesa Sacramento, CAPosts: 1,246Member

Originally posted by Cacophanist

I played WOW for a few days back in 2006. It is so nice to see that the graphics are still as catoony and sickening as before. So nice to see that the game offer nothing new to the MMO genre still and is solely responsible for diverting the MMO genre from new and more interesting play styles. so nice that do to WOW we end up with endless WOW clones (WOW clones that are clones of EQ I might add)

Arghhhhhhh !!!!

Does no one else see how bad this game is?!! No one see how it has ruined MMO development?!! How can so many people play this shite ?!!!

Any now they added another generic fantasy element - the monk with an oriental style to the zone..... FFS.

/facepalm

• teakboisteakbois Parlin, NJPosts: 2,154Member

Originally posted by BlackWatch

But what about the folks that wanted something 'above' and 'beyond'... further character development and a deeper, more meaningful direction for the characters that we've been playing for 7 years?

The views of the 'vocal' don't necessarily reflect the views of the 'masses' or the 'majority'.  Understood.  But for those players that want something more for our characters... aside from another RAID boss to fight OR another arena season to go through... what is there?

You obviously dont get it if you think it was done to be cute and funny.  Was a race of  cow men supposed to be cute and funny?  Space goats?

You are right though that it looks like once again it will lack any meaningful progression.

Originally posted by AKASlaphappy

Originally posted by GreenHell

I really don't think that is it at all. You overestimate how many people will leave WoW. There have been other games where people have made the same predictions and yet WoW continues on its path of total domination. ToR will be no different to WoW than Warhammer, Conan, Rift  or (insert imaginary WoW killer name here) was.

Domination must have a different meaning to people than what it means to me! Let’s see WOW has lost almost a million people out of the 4.5 million that was playing WoW in Europe and North America.

Yep that speaks of domination to me after all the consistent increase in numbers across the board over everyone else. What you mean WoW has declined in numbers over the last year; I mean the domination of the Asian Market that continues to increase in numbers!   

WoW still lost a lower % of people since January as Rift.  You can add up all the other AAA MMOs player bases and you still wouldnt have WoW's numbers.  That IS domination.

Its age is catching up to it finally, but its still the dominant force and that is very unlikely to change in december.

Originally posted by BlackWatch

GW2? <Evil Grin> As long as WoW is making Blizzard HUGE amounts of money, and they keep Ghostcrawler running things, little of substance will really change.  They have MORE than enough money and talent/experience to take the game in any direction that they wish to at this point.  But its easier to just go with the flow, and let Ghostcrawler keep playing his little games.  

Blizzard LONG ago made back their investment on WoW, and anything after that is gravy. They have no real incentive to take a radical direction with WoW.  In fact, most of their player base seems to be at least content with the same old, same old.  So, if its not broke, why fix it?  As long as millions keep their subs up, and keep buying each expansion, all is well in WoW land. 

Originally posted by Cacophanist

(WOW clones that are clones of EQ I might add)

Name one game that is remotely like EQ1.  Even Vanguard isnt that much like it, though its probably the closest.  Non linear, non quest based leveling.  Intricate grouping dynamics requiring more than just tank, heals dps.  A real sense of danger.  54 man raids.  Tough regular mobs.  Huge, non instanced dungeons.  Challenging, rewarding.

Nothing released since is like EQ1.  WoW is as different form EQ1 as you can get and still be an MMORPG.

I still say it's a way for them to scale back their dev-investment.  If they are able to lower what is needed then they can shift resources to Titan while keeping their moneypot open for business.

• Sora2810Sora2810 New Columbia, PAPosts: 567Member

Originally posted by WSIMike

.... really?

Pandas?

This isn't a joke?

lol I swear I'm not being sarcastic or snarky... I'm just wondering how we go from Cataclysms... to Kung Fu Pandas...

Believe me; we all thought the panderan were going to be the 'burning crusade' expansion back in vanilla. If only this expansions made Ethereal a playable race ;].

What shocks me is just one race? Maybe it's just the first race.. I don't follow WoW anymore. 'm clueless.

Originally posted by Quesa

I still say it's a way for them to scale back their dev-investment.  If they are able to lower what is needed then they can shift resources to Titan while keeping their moneypot open for business.

I thought titan was going to be a social MMO?

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

Well the expansion cycle seems to be at least 6 months shorter this time around and the art team at least has been very busy.  And with the pokemon system, scenarios, new BG types they are adding quite a bit with this expansion.  Id say they are working at least as hard as past expansions.  The ideas just arent as good IMO  The work on WoW though has never been remotely proportional to the income goingin.  SoE generally works harder on EQ2 than Blizzard does on WoW and they obviously have a much smaller income.

The response to why there is no player housing in particular:  They said osmething along the lines of its expnesive to do, wouldnt you rathe rhave more raids and dungeons?  Um...hire more staff?  Your game still makes insane amounts of money, and still owuld if you lose half your customers.  Not having guild halls at least is an absolute disgrace with the amount of resources they have.

• IllyssiaIllyssia LondonPosts: 1,524Member

I am thinking here that the artwork may be getting a little near to the Kung-Fu Panda movie that Paramount/Viacom did.

Scary how the suits who run Blizzard have stolen the idea of martial arts Panda. Clearly the look and feel are similar and aimed at childrens market. Yeash...I will be staying away from future Blizzard expansions based on this one (I am an adult gamer).

Well the expansion cycle seems to be at least 6 months shorter this time around and the art team at least has been very busy.  And with the pokemon system, scenarios, new BG types they are adding quite a bit with this expansion.  Id say they are working at least as hard as past expansions.  The ideas just arent as good IMO  The work on WoW though has never been remotely proportional to the income goingin.  SoE generally works harder on EQ2 than Blizzard does on WoW and they obviously have a much smaller income.

The response to why there is no player housing in particular:  They said osmething along the lines of its expnesive to do, wouldnt you rathe rhave more raids and dungeons?  Um...hire more staff?  Your game still makes insane amounts of money, and still owuld if you lose half your customers.  Not having guild halls at least is an absolute disgrace with the amount of resources they have.

Except that beyond all the new content, the balancing rollercoaster after an expansion is a huge time-burden for the development team.  We've seen that in all expansions.  

With the complete neutering of the talent system (again) it will be far easier to tweak individual abilities and not have to worry as much about the 4-5 talents that affect or added effects to that spell. They are also reducing the total amount of abilities for the classes to some magic number.

In these types of situations, its usually all about the bottom line. ALL the suits care about is making the quarterly report look SO SWEET!!... Hiring new staff costs money. Its a lot easier on the quarterly report to justify keeping the status quo for as long as the money keeps rolling in.  They have no real incentive to invest in more staff, or additional expenses. The suits major focus is on making themselves look good (promotion) and laying the ground work for sufficient CYA so that any blame doesn't get dropped on their door step, if/when the shit hits the fan. 

Except that beyond all the new content, the balancing rollercoaster after an expansion is a huge time-burden for the development team.  We've seen that in all expansions.  

With the complete neutering of the talent system (again) it will be far easier to tweak individual abilities and not have to worry as much about the 4-5 talents that affect or added effects to that spell. They are also reducing the total amount of abilities for the classes to some magic number.

If they wanted to make it easier on themselves they could have just left the system as is and award no new points, and just added a choice of 3 options at 90 and called it a day.  the new system really has very little effect on PvE because the specs will have roughly the identical abilities as they did in wrath.

PvP it might cause them headaches, because thats what this talent sytem is mostly for.

The thing is just a bad decision, doesnt really save them any work, and doesnt give the players what they want.

Originally posted by Illyssia

I am thinking here that the artwork may be getting a little near to the Kung-Fu Panda movie that Paramount/Viacom did.

Scary how the suits who run Blizzard have stolen the idea of martial arts Panda. Clearly the look and feel are similar and aimed at childrens market. Yeash...I will be staying away from future Blizzard expansions based on this one (I am an adult gamer).

Because Pandaren monks didnt predate Kung Fu panda or anything.  Maybe Blizzard stole the idea from Blizzard?

Or maybe its the animal that most represents a region and a style of fighting that most represents a region?  No, it OBVIOUSLY came from a movie...

You're just looking at the surface.  There is much more that goes into balancing than you seem to understand.

• lathaanlathaan viennaPosts: 475Member Uncommon

its the first time i got an urge to try out wow. the expansion looks plain fun. panda monks. i'm in!

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Dublin, OHPosts: 3,415Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Illyssia

Because Pandaren monks didnt predate Kung Fu panda or anything.  Maybe Blizzard stole the idea from Blizzard?

Or maybe its the animal that most represents a region and a style of fighting that most represents a region?  No, it OBVIOUSLY came from a movie...

This, a thousand times this!

Plus, Those of you playing WoW as a serious high fantasy game are NUTS!

This game is CLEARLY a SATIRE of high fantasy.