Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kung Fu Panda Comes To WoW

Comments

• TalgenTalgen Member UncommonPosts: 400

Jesus, are we still takling about this?  I started this thread out of early morning shock of seeing a panda and wanting to do a spit take..  I'm so over it now...  the Really? Really, really???  has turned into, really.

Let's just let this insane thread die, i cant believe its gone over 100 posts, lol, thats nuts.. thanks to all who fed it though, it was a nice waste of time on a boring Saturday morning.

So how about we all just let it go, accept that the Pandas are coming, accept that they will always be associated with Kung Fu Panda forevermore despite the lore..  And have a happy weekend? 

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

I hope this brings to WoW something that it has always lacked for me.

An enjoyable class to play.

I like armored priest characters not squishy priest characters.

I like warrior types but the rage mechanic was meh.

The hunter was ok at the beginning but was nerfed and the pet differences squelched.  I liked when I had to go to get rake and other oddball pets.  Wow the first time had me for just the first month. 

I played a rogue for a couple of months around the second expansion (the one before lich king) -- leveled it, did dailies.  It wasnt really what I was looking for in a class but I managed.  Didnt like what they did to posions during my tenure etc.

If the monk class is actually a FUN class to play, then I might look at it like everquest kunark where I rolled an iksar and shelved my wood-elf druid.

---

The bad thing is we are almost a year from seeing it -- NOW would be a better timeframe for releasing it -- before the other games hit.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Originally posted by MyGarona

Very well said amigo. I don't blame Blizz for changing the game to make it more kid and Asian friendly. If that's where you see the growth, then you move the business accordingly.

Face it folks - WoW is a game. Increasingly a game for kids. I could play this game with my 5 year old grandson. To take it any more seriously is just silly.

I didn't realize it at the time but in retrospect the deathknell for me with this game was when I made the choice to change my main Priest from Undead to Goblin for a guild achievement. Watching a little green goblin run around was, well just shameful.

If you like WoW by all means keep playing but if you can't accept these changes as what they are - moving the game towards a younger Asian audience, you probably need to take a break and step back from the keyboard and go get some air.

I strongly disagree, and I honestly hate panda's and don't plan on rolling one.

New updated graphics are clearly for children, chinese themes are clearly childish.  Is that what you are saying? 

Oh just panda's as a race are?  As a kid I knew a lot of kids who liked Cows, would have loved Tauren, does that mean that anyone who likes tauren are children?

Lets be serious here, if you think its aimed at children so be it, however because you think it is something does not make it so.  Last I checked an ex pack that focuses heavily on PVP does not cater to children.

But that is just MY opinion too.

edit:  i've also NEVER seen kung fu panda, nor do I intend to.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Laughing-man

Originally posted by MyGarona

Very well said amigo. I don't blame Blizz for changing the game to make it more kid and Asian friendly. If that's where you see the growth, then you move the business accordingly.

Face it folks - WoW is a game. Increasingly a game for kids. I could play this game with my 5 year old grandson. To take it any more seriously is just silly.

I didn't realize it at the time but in retrospect the deathknell for me with this game was when I made the choice to change my main Priest from Undead to Goblin for a guild achievement. Watching a little green goblin run around was, well just shameful.

If you like WoW by all means keep playing but if you can't accept these changes as what they are - moving the game towards a younger Asian audience, you probably need to take a break and step back from the keyboard and go get some air.

I strongly disagree, and I honestly hate panda's and don't plan on rolling one.

New updated graphics are clearly for children, chinese themes are clearly childish.  Is that what you are saying? 

Oh just panda's as a race are?  As a kid I knew a lot of kids who liked Cows, would have loved Tauren, does that mean that anyone who likes tauren are children?

Lets be serious here, if you think its aimed at children so be it, however because you think it is something does not make it so.  Last I checked an ex pack that focuses heavily on PVP does not cater to children.

But that is just MY opinion too.

edit:  i've also NEVER seen kung fu panda, nor do I intend to.

You are correct WoW is a very adult focused MMO that is not aimed at children at all.
  • XithrylXithryl Member UncommonPosts: 256

Originally posted by Tivian

I know why they did it. To cater to the Chines gold farmers.

Wrong, Pandarens as a playable rave have been the number 1 request over the years from the majority of WoW gamers, they did it finally because the playerbase masses wanted it. Does it appeal to the chinese? perhaps  and whats' wrong with that? Selfish much?

oh and as for the "omglol kung fu panda in wow" yup thats right kung fu panda in WoW baby... SKADOOOSH!

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

Originally posted by Thedrip

Originally posted by Supersoups

Originally posted by Talgen

Originally posted by alakram

Add Pokemon on top of that and I'll I can say is, 'Really? Really, Really?!?'    Discuss.

http://classic.battle.net/war3/pandaren/

You should learn about what you talking about. All of this was before kung fu panda, of course.

Actually no, no  I shouldnt..  when I have interest in playing a game.. I play the game.. I shouldnt have to research its years of history.. or get a PhD in it's lore to be able to pick it up and play it..  And guess what.. I'm not alone.. tons of people... /gulp ..  DONT CARE ... the first thing that is going to come to their minds is.. Kung Fu Panda.. why?  Because media has blasted our minds with 2 movies of it..  Trust me I'm not the first or the last to think it...

So, in closing should I learn the entire history of a game, research its lore yadda yadda yadda?  No son.  no.

No matter what topic you chose to discuss it is very important to make sure you know what you are talking about..otherwise this is what happens. you end up looking 'silly'.  You don't need a PHD do know about some basic information about the game you are interested in.

For some one who doesn't care you surely want to discuss about it.

You know what really makes you look "silly"??  Knowing the lore of frigging WORLD OF WARCRAFT.

or maybe i have a very good memory? i played WC3 and remember the Panda race. Posting on mmo forums and calling other silly for being informed about games  is a big irony in itself.

• XithrylXithryl Member UncommonPosts: 256

Guys, don't worry about proving that Pandarens were in Warcraft before the Kung Fu Panda movie... Not a lot of people are as educated, and to be honest, Kung Fu Panda was seen by a lot of people its popular as heck, not saying Warcraft 3 isn't but you get the idea. Even all these people all like "lawlkungfupandainwow" they are lieing to themselves, them saying that, they know they want to play a freaking martial artist panda...

Haters gonna hate... I'm down for Kung Fu Panda... SKADOOSH!

• Lille7Lille7 Member Posts: 301

Add Pokemon on top of that and I'll I can say is, 'Really? Really, Really?!?'    Discuss.

Another topic on this? 'really, really, really?

Panda race existed in WC3 so it is not something taken from Kung Fu Panda. I guess it is ok to play a 'cow' but not a panda.

Yep thats right, another topic on it..  as I work full time and have a family.. I just found out and my jaw dropped.. So expect more to come as well.. Didnt realize that topics were limited on this site  (/rolleyes)

At least with the 'cow' race it was akin to a Minotaur, and there felt some connection to an established, well known mytholigical creature.

You cant deny coming off the heels of the sequel of Kung Fu Panda this summer that most peoples minds will go directly there.  Regardless of the lore of the game.. it feels like a stretch.   Also given Blizzards flare for including easter eggs in games, if the so much as one reference to 'Skadooosh' coming from a single panda character.  All the people saying its not kung fu panda, can rot.

Also I dont recall Pokemon, er.. pet fighting in any of the WC games.. am I incorrect?  Please let me know if I am.

Takes 2 minutes to hit search button on website to find out same topics. No one is that busy to hit the search button.

And it is a bit late to cash on Kung Fu panda movies. Moreover like i said earlier Panda race is an old race from WC3 and has nothing to do with the movie. Moreover Activision hold rights to both so it makes this comparison even more silly. Google is your friend, do some research on Pandarens they have existed in WOW universe from days of WOW strategy games.

Sorry pal, aint going to happen, I have kids.. I'm more familiar with the movies than caring enough to research the lore, shouldnt have to..  shouldnt have to research something fictionaI  to have it all 'make sense' ..  dont care about the lore, dont care enough about the game... First impression to me, and I can almost guarantee you, and to most others will be kung fu panda.  So you can either accept it and move on, or continue to try and get me to research something: 1. I dont care about  2. I'm not getting paid to research. 3. again, I dont care.

Did I say this is 'omg horrible, this is teh suxxorz xpac'?  no.  I said.. OMG Kung fu panda! w/ pokemon!  really?

I never said it was brought out to cash in on the kung fu movies.. however now that you mention it.. there are alot of kids that liked that movie... hmmmmmmmmm...

If you don't care about the game why in all the hells did you make this thread?

Seems like trolling to me.

• BribarianIBribarianI Member Posts: 120

It's pretty funny watching all the fanbois come out to defend such a ridiculous expansion.

Pandaren might have made a good feature, but to base an entire expansion around them is asking to be mocked.

• generals3generals3 Member Posts: 3,307

Originally posted by XiThRyL

Guys, don't worry about proving that Pandarens were in Warcraft before the Kung Fu Panda movie... Not a lot of people are as educated, and to be honest, Kung Fu Panda was seen by a lot of people its popular as heck, not saying Warcraft 3 isn't but you get the idea. Even all these people all like "lawlkungfupandainwow" they are lieing to themselves, them saying that, they know they want to play a freaking martial artist panda...

Haters gonna hate... I'm down for Kung Fu Panda... SKADOOSH!

So because you like silly panda's you assume everyone does? Let me guess, different opinions and tastes are a myth? You are so pretentious you think your opinion/taste is THE opinion/taste?

See, this is what gives being a "fan" a bad rep.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt.
    Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.

• cirdanxcirdanx Member Posts: 27

or maybe i have a very good memory? i played WC3 and remember the Panda race. Posting on mmo forums and calling other silly for being informed about games  is a big irony in itself.

They were added to the WC3 expansion and then written into the lore by Metzen. They were not there before, the Pandaren were nothing but an april fools joke by Blizzard created by their artist Samwise Didier. Who in fact, couldn´t believe they wanted to add them to the game. (see first BlizzCast episode)

So basicly they are creating an expansion around a joke.

"i'm a leaf on the wind watch how i soar"

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

So what. My gf will love playing pandas. As will i. I am looking forward to the monk class. the talent reveamp is needed i just hope its done in a way that its a good thing not just another screw up in fixing a bloated tree.

That said i have no problem with the pandaran or asian themed areas of the game. Im actually looking orward to mists of pandara after the cata expac. It cant do any worse then cata did.

That said i have been a wow player for 6 yrs and have enjoyed all 6 yrs up till the last 6 months. i actually like the nutral race factor it allows both sides to have acess to a race. Should be interesting. The other forms of leveling the pet battles and things will give some players another way to play wow. 

People that dont like to raid or do dungeons at max level have something else to do.

• UWNVMEUWNVME Member UncommonPosts: 174

Coming from a 7-year WoW player who defended Cataclysm on this site when it was first shown at Blizzcon 09, Mists of Pandaria does nothing to shift my interest away from SWTOR and GW2.

I'll be fair and give credit where it's due. The art team has outdone themselves as usual and the new zones are beautiful. The monk class intrigues me as well, it sounds far more interesting than that AWFUL death knight experiment ever did. But Blizzard has already made one stupid mistake and limited the class to all but the Goblin and Worgen races (Seriously, what's the argument for this other than discriminating fans of those two races?)

I just don't understand what this expansion's direction is. I'm glad to hear they want to try and get people out travelling Azeroth instead of sitting in capital cities all day waiting on queues, but how? I know they have PvE scenarios, but will that be enough?

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Everybody is kung fu fighting...

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwuCJznewFw 

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

given all the slagging off that blizzard are taking about this it will be curious to see how many peeps roll a panda just to see what its like..i dont think blizz. will lose that many subs..you either want to be a panda or you dont.

• cirdanxcirdanx Member Posts: 27

Originally posted by UWNVME I just don't understand what this expansion's direction is. I'm glad to hear they want to try and get people out travelling Azeroth instead of sitting in capital cities all day waiting on queues, but how? I know they have PvE scenarios, but will that be enough?

Scenarios are useing the same queue system as the dungeon finder. So no reason to leave the town for this.

"i'm a leaf on the wind watch how i soar"

• SilaxSilax Member Posts: 250

Anyone else think that there is a weird sort of poetic justice in WoW kicking off it's asian themed expansion by committing seppuku.

• nethrillnethrill Member Posts: 122

wow has offically jumped the shark with this one, I've bought my last expansion of that game.

• TivianTivian Member UncommonPosts: 168

Originally posted by XiThRyL

Originally posted by Tivian

I know why they did it. To cater to the Chines gold farmers.

Wrong, Pandarens as a playable rave have been the number 1 request over the years from the majority of WoW gamers, they did it finally because the playerbase masses wanted it. Does it appeal to the chinese? perhaps and wtf is wrong with that? Selfish much?

oh and as for the "omglol kung fu panda in wow" yup thats right kung fu panda in WoW baby... SKADOOOSH!

Lame LAME LAME!

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

Originally posted by Zzad
    I don´t care if Pandas were in warcraft b4 Kung fu panda... still KUNG FU PANDA for most.
    This expansion is A JOKE!!
    Now i know for sure WoW is OVER for me.

and me..... lost hope to get back now....

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• grawssgrawss Member Posts: 419

Originally posted by Onigod

Becouse 5 threads already about it were not enough?

yeah.... we already covered that.. nice catch though. Thanks for the input.

How ironic.

Sarcasm is not a crime!

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Stop trying to find things in WoW to put down. If you hate it, you hate it and move on.

Sigh.

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

Originally posted by BizkitNL

Stop trying to find things in WoW to put down. If you hate it, you hate it and move on.

Sigh.

This is a discussion forum dude, everyone has the right to express their opionions, if you dont like to read other opinions maybe YOU should move on.

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

.... And MoP will probably be the most sucessful expansion for World of Warcraft.

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

Don't worry my ex-patriots...as we speak the Disney marketing team at blizzard is throwing together some fast footage of Titan combat and some details about a MMO that wont be out for 3 years to assuage your anger over your game thats getting the short bus treatment.

Odds are it will air at the end of blizzcon to keep the sheep in check.

We await you in GW2 and SWTOR...

This discussion has been closed.