Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

EVE Online: Battlecruisers to Utilize BIG Guns

SBFordSBFord Associate Editor - News ManagerThe Land of AZPosts: 16,633MMORPG.COM Staff Uncommon

The Winter expansion for EVE Online will see the debut of another tier of Battlecruisers according to a new blog post penned by CCP Guard.

According to Guard, the best thing about the new tier of Battlecruisers is that they will be able to outfit themselves in Battleship weaponry. You know, those really BIG guns?

They will be capable of similar damage output as a battleship but obviously all that damage comes at a price.They won‘t be able to tank like a battleship, but what they lack in the tanking department the right pilot should be able to somewhat make up for  with speed and distance management. Those looking to start minmaxing fleets of TÖTALHELLDEATH will have to wait a bit for the stats.

Read the full blog post on the EVE Online site.

Associate Editor: MMORPG.com
Follow me on Twitter: @MMORPGMom

Comments

• kadepsysonkadepsyson sun prairie, WIPosts: 1,937Member

Should be fun to pilot a Tornado!

El Psy Congroo

• SzabtomSzabtom BudapestPosts: 38Member

Ah, good Minmatar stuff.

• FaelanFaelan CopenhagenPosts: 826Member Uncommon

This is actually more in line with the historical definition of a battlecruiser. That is, a ship with armament similar to that of a battleship, but sacrificing the armor in exchange for speed. How this is going to pan out in EVE is going to be interesting as the BCs (at least the T2 ones) in EVE are known for being good at tanking, especially the Drake.

Oh, and did they say 3 other BCs in addition to the Tornado? Interesting.

I'm a big ol' fluffy carewolf. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson sun prairie, WIPosts: 1,937Member

Originally posted by Faelan

One for each race!  :)

El Psy Congroo

• BizkitNLBizkitNL NetherlandsPosts: 2,280Member Common
    Looks like a nice way to prepare a toon for battleships. That, and its pure sex.
  • VosperVosper Mississauga, ONPosts: 57Member Uncommon

Great news, should be interesting to see how these fit into the battles in EVE.

(And, aside from going 'backwards' that ship somewhat reminds me of a Minbari cruiser...)

• YalexyYalexy BerlinPosts: 1,053Member Uncommon

Having skilled everything sub-capital available in the game to LvL 5 (yes every weapon and every shipclass including T2) they can add whatever they want... I'll be there waiting for it ^^

With that said it's an interesting approach and cheap and disposable blobs (Hurricane or Drakes) are fotm anyways.

• ThaWatcherThaWatcher TilburgPosts: 11Member

Might leave my ravens to take a spin in the caldari one, cruises & torps & bsrailguns on a BC... pretty insane :)

Fight to Survive, Survive to Fight

The difference between a killer and a soldier is a question of loyalty

• SuraknarSuraknar Montreal, QCPosts: 824Member

Impressive...CCP is starting to think tactically.

I still do not like the game due to too much focus on strategy in its combat mechanics, and due to the Skill System.

But this announcement lowered my dislike scale by one position toward the like side.

Battlecruisers with that fire power will be able to open the way to younger Captains (I prefer looking at EVE ships as Capitals ships rather than oversized fighters) to participate in engagements.

This is now like 4 Shermans vs a Tiger ;)

- Duke Suraknar -
    Order of the Silver Star, OSS

ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard

• TivianTivian Tanalorn, WAPosts: 168Member Uncommon

Oh Joy....Battlecruisers that can use battleship guns.....FOR WHAT??? 425 Rails suck Blasters suck.... CCP your retarded.

• drarakkusdrarakkus new milford, CTPosts: 97Member

congrats you have listed a complaint about 1 out of the 4 races.  you fail

• OzmodanOzmodan Hilliard, OHPosts: 7,191Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Tivian

Oh Joy....Battlecruisers that can use battleship guns.....FOR WHAT??? 425 Rails suck Blasters suck.... CCP your retarded.

You can put any kind of guns or missles you want on one of these you are not restricted to rails or blasters.  Why not wait until you see what the stats are first.

I rather like this, battlecruisers typically had battleship guns, but cruiser armor, something the existing battlecruisers do not fit.

• QuesaQuesa Sacramento, CAPosts: 1,246Member

Originally posted by Faelan

This is actually more in line with the historical definition of a battlecruiser. That is, a ship with armament similar to that of a battleship, but sacrificing the armor in exchange for speed. How this is going to pan out in EVE is going to be interesting as the BCs (at least the T2 ones) in EVE are known for being good at tanking, especially the Drake.

The Drake had a much more resilient tank but lost in terms of speed and DPS compared to the other T2 BC's.  In part because one of the boni of the Drake was a passive tanking bonus.

Other than that, the BC's weren't all that great at tanking unless they utilized Gang Links and Logi's.  Drake fleets were powerful due to the missile alpha and massive buffer.

BC's using large weapons is one of the better suggestions that has been suggested by the community.

• QuesaQuesa Sacramento, CAPosts: 1,246Member

Originally posted by Tivian

They are adjusting Hybrids, seeing as though you missed that part of the recent dev-blogs.