Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kung Fu Panda Comes To WoW

Comments

• DeltaFrc670DeltaFrc670 Member Posts: 71

Originally posted by Zorgo

You guys do realize that humans danced disco from day 1.

Tauren danced Peanut Butter Jelly from day 1.

And Night Elves did the moonwalk.

BC introduced a goat-men from outerspace race.

Out-of-sync pop culture references have been a part of WoW since the first day - stop acting like Karate Kid references for a martial arts class is out of line for this franchise.

Stop acting like the Panda's weren't in WC3 prior to Kung Fu Panda.

Stop acting like WoW has ever been anything more than tongue-in-cheek.

If you haven't noticed this about WoW, who really hasn't been paying attention?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ixpBNgiRzU

• RazeronRazeron Member Posts: 180

U RIEK PANDA?!11

^_^

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by DeltaFrc670

You guys do realize that humans danced disco from day 1.

Tauren danced Peanut Butter Jelly from day 1.

And Night Elves did the moonwalk.

BC introduced a goat-men from outerspace race.

Out-of-sync pop culture references have been a part of WoW since the first day - stop acting like Karate Kid references for a martial arts class is out of line for this franchise.

Stop acting like the Panda's weren't in WC3 prior to Kung Fu Panda.

Stop acting like WoW has ever been anything more than tongue-in-cheek.

If you haven't noticed this about WoW, who really hasn't been paying attention?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ixpBNgiRzU

Damn you's, Damn You's all to hellllllllllllll!!!!!!!!

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• generals3generals3 Member Posts: 3,307

Originally posted by Distopia

Well said Kalfer... QFT

Warcraft 3 had panda's long before Kung Fu Panda was released or dreamed of.  See my above post. I feel like many of you have never paid attention to WoW before this.

They are taking a race from their own lore and making it playable. They are adding silly pop culture references as they have from day 1.

No one will ever convince me that Panda's are sillier than goat-men from outer space.

What i still find ironic is that even a dev thought panda's were too silly for WoW:  "But so we put that up in there and everyone was like ?Oh my God! A PANDA RACE? That's kind of cool!? And I'm like ,Are you kidding me, really? You want to see pandas in Warcraft III or whatever?? So, we made like a whole fake April Fools page with different units and all that and people, you know ? we thought people would be like NO WAY!? ? and everyone actually liked it and when they found out it was an April Fools joke they were like ?Aw, that sucks."

If a dev thinks like that about the pandaren i think it is very legitimate players ask themselves "WTF" as well.

Oh and i'm sorry but draenei look like epic serious business compared to kung fu panda's. And tbh i never understood why people named em space goats... Yes tauren look like cows and pandaren like panda's but i don't see a goat in a draenei.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt.
    Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by Kalfer

O

Uhm dude... you do know that kung fu panda is a parody on all asian martial arts?

"Uhm dude..."

You realize I was simply posting a couple screenshots to illustrate that some of Blizzard's own marketing material is rather helping the whole "Kung Fu Panda" connection? And that it's not exactly "unusual" for such a thing to be there, given all the cultural references they've already poured into the game?

Your entire tirade there was completely superfluous.

I'm not "bashing" the game, nor the expansion. I was merely pointing out that well.. yeah... there's Pandas... and they're doing Kung Fu... or some form of Martial Arts, anyway. So that some people are getting defensive over the comparison (and some are getting defensive over the comparison, don't kid yourself) seems rather disingenuous to me.

Blizzard's clearly not shying away from it, nor have they ever. So, why are some people getting all bent out of shape over it? Why so quick to get on the defensive? That's all I'm saying. "What's the big deal?", in other words...

Amazing how you can't even say something neutral around here without someone getting upset about it.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

I don´t care if Pandas were in warcraft b4 Kung fu panda... still KUNG FU PANDA for most.

This expansion is A JOKE!!

Now i know for sure WoW is OVER for me.

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

Originally posted by Zzad

I don´t care if Pandas were in warcraft b4 Kung fu panda... still KUNG FU PANDA for most.

This expansion is A JOKE!!

Now i know for sure WoW is OVER for me.

Telling people to base their opinions on facts is not wrong. The biggest problem of these forums is that many try to pass their opinions as a fact. And when you tell them to do some research or inform themselves about the topic at hand, they retreat inton their shell and refuse to listen. It is not just WOW problem it is the same with SWTOR, GW2 or any other ucoming new MMO or expansion.

So yeah maybe you don't care but that still does not make you right or others who think it is based on kung Fu Panda. Now whether you like or dislike WOW is another topic and i personally could care less but i will certainly try to correct mis information everytime it is posted.

• SaydienSaydien Member Posts: 266

Playing Pokemon as a Kung-Fu Panda thingy? Awesome! Wonder if Spongebob, those cartoon ponies and the Simpsons got an invite too. Those news really are scaring me. All those horrible WoW people might finally realize what a joke of a game they are playing and spread out to other games including the one I might play. I don't want to play with people that have cartoon orc and cartoon panda alter egos! :(

• AlammarrAlammarr Member Posts: 4

I've actually considered coming back to WoW after the expansion announcement.

Pandas are cool and all but my favorite class in gaming since my AD&D days has always been the monk. (Not the little healing monk from GW1, but the ass kicking asian style monk.) And I can't say I didn't see the Pandas coming, seems like a pretty cool race.

As far as the pets (pokemon) fighting goes. You mean they're giving me a reason to actually care about having them other than so they can just follow me around and look cute? What?! They're adding more features and more things to do other than a gear grind?! You mean I don't have to just stand around in town while my raid timers are up and don't feel like BGing?! Well shit that's the dumbest idea ever. I might just not go back then.

Fuck that, gotta catch em' all.

I expect I'll enjoy the expansion with all of the changest to classes and the new zones look like they're going to be fun to go through. Also, they said they're trying to bring the "War back to Warcraft" so I expect the new zones to be fairly PvP heavy. Kind of glad so many people are pissy about the expansion. Even though 90% of you who say you're quitting will be there on launch day and won't quit at all maybe it'll piss off a few of the idiots on my server and they'll actually stay away.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Warcraft jumped the shark with Warcraft 3, this is NOT jumping the shark.

This is in fact QUITE expected, they've said they were going to add in pandas for a long time they just finally got around to it now.

People who are freaking out about it and sayin the sky is falling are just over reacting like they always do.  EVERY announcement every time there are these folks who come out of the wood work to voice their minority opinion that ITS ALL OVER!

Guess what?  We're all still here...

Cataclysm had furry worgen which everyone hated, yet the game didn't end. 

BC had space squid that everyone hated, game didn't end.

Oh look Panda, they are WAY more believable than PURPLE ELVES TALKING COWS OR SPACE SQUID.

guess what?

People cry again.

Not suprised.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Originally posted by Thedrip

Originally posted by Supersoups

No matter what topic you chose to discuss it is very important to make sure you know what you are talking about..otherwise this is what happens. you end up looking 'silly'.  You don't need a PHD do know about some basic information about the game you are interested in.

For some one who doesn't care you surely want to discuss about it.

You know what really makes you look "silly"??  Knowing the lore of frigging WORLD OF WARCRAFT.

Triple D...as in ding, ding, ding!

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• illorionillorion Member Posts: 467

Kung Fu Panda or no.... the expansions looks really unappealing. 

First off it looks like the tried to copy some of Anet's ideas like dodging and polymock and quickly cram it in the game to say... hey look! we can do that too... sort of.

Secondly, even if kung fu panda never existed, youd still be playing as a big fat guy trying to act graceful... their stomachs even jiggle when they move. The xpack reaks of free realms.... which is definatly a kids game.

Thirdly, and most importantly to me, Blizz rakes in like 15 million dollars a month off this game... and this is the best they can do? Really? Once race, once class, and the usual song and dance they always do with the xpacks? Thats bullshit. With the amount of resources they could have added an entire faction to the game if they wanted to. To me this xpack is just further proof that blizz no longer gives two shits about the "art " of making games but rather doing just enough to keep people playing and nothing more. 

"Don't mistake a fun game for a good game... Checkers is fun to play but its not exactly the highest point of gaming design... and definatly not worth $60 plus $15 a month"

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by tawess

To be honest it is nice to not have to save bloody Azeroth AGAIN... We have done that so so many times it is getting kinda old.

As for the Pokemon mini-game, why not it is not like WoW is a dead serious take on a clinically correct world... It has always had a bit of the wonky in it.

Sounds like a fun expansion to me. After all Nagarand have been named as one of the favouriye zone by virtue of its serenity and how different it is. So to make a entire expansion with the same visuals seems like a good idea for me.

Also the pure rage against this expansion is the stuff of popcorn.

Well said.  I'm intrigued with this expansion for the very reasons you stated.  It's different, light hearted and similar to Nagrand, my favorite BC zone.  I also don't understand this hate for the expansion.  I think there is something collectively wrong with people these days when they can't enjoy good ole fashion content on any level.  

Originally posted by Laughing-man

This is in fact QUITE expected, they've said they were going to add in pandas for a long time they just finally got around to it now.

People who are freaking out about it and sayin the sky is falling are just over reacting like they always do.  EVERY announcement every time there are these folks who come out of the wood work to voice their minority opinion that ITS ALL OVER!

Oh look Panda, they are WAY more believable than PURPLE ELVES TALKING COWS OR SPACE SQUID.

guess what?

People cry again.

Not suprised.

I don't think people complain about how believable kung fu panda's are but more about how ridiculous they are. It would kinda be ridiculous to discuss believability in a fantasy game wouldn't it?

And yes those panda's even make a tiny warrior gnome with a pink punk haircut look like serious business.

Originally posted by generals3

guess what?

People cry again.

Not suprised.

I don't think people complain about how believable kung fu panda's are but more about how ridiculous they are. It would kinda be ridiculous to discuss believability in a fantasy game wouldn't it?

And yes those panda's even make a tiny warrior gnome with a pink punk haircut look like serious business.

Pandaren's were in the game prior to most of the other wacky crazy "ridiculous" things. 

Over reactions are over reactions.

Also, there are about a billion more things they introduced yesterday and ALL anyone can think about is "LOL PANDA HERR DERR"  seriously you guys are ridiculous.

Hey look a whole new re work of talents so that they are actually customization tools and Classes and specs are different, and they introduce a new class that functions totally in a unique way with a melee healer!

And everyone takes away from this  "HERR DERR PANDA"

:-(

Edit:  Oh and other races can be monks besides Panaren...  Just incase you guys were too busy freaking out over panda's to notice.

guess what?

People cry again.

Not suprised.

Pandaren's were in the game prior to most of the other wacky crazy "ridiculous" things. 

Doesn't change the fact they look ridiculous. Even if kung fu panda would have never existed those panda's would still look ridiculous. Heck i didn't even think about kung fu panda at first when seeing them i just thought "this must be a joke".

Stating i think they are over the top ridiculous is overreacting? I don't think so, it's called "an opinion".

Also, there are about a billion more things they introduced yesterday and ALL anyone can think about is "LOL PANDA HERR DERR"  seriously you guys are ridiculous.

Most of the things i've read about the x-pac are bleh (talents, challenge mode) or stupid (pokemon mode?). Only thing i could consider as good is more focus on world PVP. And you see the huge issue is that said panda's are a race. I'm sorry but unless they would give them a seperate faction meaning i could kill every single one of them and in no way have to group with any, this is an issue. I simply cannot see my playing an MMORPG with those things running around everywhere. Ever heard of rp and immersion? Totally ruined.

Hey look a whole new re work of talents so that they are actually customization tools and Classes and specs are different, and they introduce a new class that functions totally in a unique way with a melee healer!

Melee healers? big woop. Doesn't sound revolutionary at all. Nice but not worth a big fuss at all. New talent system? i'd rather have the pre-cata one back. Monks? Never interested me, demon hunters would have been much more interesting.

That's what one gets when one makes an expac focused on such a ridiculous concept.

Edit:  Oh and other races can be monks besides Panaren...  Just incase you guys were too busy freaking out over panda's to notice.

guess what?

People cry again.

Not suprised.

Doesn't change the fact they look ridiculous. Even if kung fu panda would have never existed those panda's would still look ridiculous. Heck i didn't even think about kung fu panda at first when seeing them i just thought "this must be a joke".

Stating i think they are over the top ridiculous is overreacting? I don't think so, it's called "an opinion".

Most of the things i've read about the x-pac are bleh (talents, challenge mode) or stupid (pokemon mode?). Only thing i could consider as good is more focus on world PVP. And you see the huge issue is that said panda's are a race. I'm sorry but unless they would give them a seperate faction meaning i could kill every single one of them and in no way have to group with any, this is an issue. I simply cannot see me playing an MMORPG with those things running around everywhere. Ever heard of rp and immersion? Totally ruined.

Melee healers? big woop. Doesn't sound revolutionary at all. New talent system? i'd rather have the pre-cata one back. Monks? Never interested me, demon hunters would have been much more interesting.

That's what one gets when one makes an expac focused on such a ridiculous concept.

Sorry I don't believe you when you say that panda's ruin your game immersion when purple elves, talking cows, space squid, gnomes with pink hair tanking giant demons, and all the talking NON playable races that are ridiculous, some how THESE things didn't ruin it first for you?

Killing a giant mechanical gnome monster that has a clockwork tank thing as it quips jokes at you...

NOT killing immersion for ya?

Pandas do?

WAAAY too much focus on Panda hate and not enough on all the other aspects of the game they are changing, the talent revamp is an actual revamp of the base core of their belief system on what a talent system SHOULD DO, its not BC -> Wrath its a WHOLE NEW SPECIES. 

Yet all you talk about is their "pokemon" "rip off" which honestly the game play they are suggesting sounds fun, and accessable to anyone, guess what casuals exsist too!  Not just elitists.

Sorry if your pandaphobia is some how killing your game for you, its unhealthy to focus on things that make you mad though, why not focus on the good not the bad.

• azrael466azrael466 Member Posts: 365

Originally posted by Supersoups

Originally posted by Talgen

Add Pokemon on top of that and I'll I can say is, 'Really? Really, Really?!?'    Discuss.

Another topic on this? 'really, really, really?

Panda race existed in WC3 so it is not something taken from Kung Fu Panda. I guess it is ok to play a 'cow' but not a panda.

You're forgetting, the warcraft universe didn't exist before WoW, and MMOs didn't either.

Playing
    Nothing
    waiting for
    The secret world
    Played
    WoW, DCU online, star wars: the old republic, city of heroes, city of villains, everquest, plenty more I'm probably forgetting or aren't worth noting.

Sorry I don't believe you when you say that panda's ruin your game immersion when purple elves, talking cows, space squid, gnomes with pink hair tanking giant demons, and all the talking NON playable races that are ridiculous, some how THESE things didn't ruin it first for you?

A: What's wrong with the purple elves? They don't look ridiculous and elves are a well established fantasy race.

B: Space squids? Yes they do look weird but i never found em funny. And there is a big difference between weird and silly.

C: Gnomes? Well yes i disliked melee gnomes a lot and would have enjoyed the game a lot more immersion wise if they didn't exist. But two classes of one race which was played by few can be overlooked. And let's not forget: one evil doesn't excuse an extra one. Wouldn't you say it's ridiculous to say that if one plothole didn't ruin the story a second shouldn't either? (implying a third, fourth, fifth, etc... shouldn't either).

It was already hard to pretend said melee gnomes didn't exist but adding a whole new race to that? No way.

D: And about the talking cows? What's wrong with the fact they talk? Anthropomorphised animals are common in mythology/fantasy. Taurens however don't look half as ridiculous as the panda's (oh and the fact we're talking about panda's is not the main issue. But the fact it looks so ridiculous is, prior to seeing the intro i still wasn't that convinced pandarens would be a huge downer because they could have looked cool, but alas they look just too childish imho) and can be related to the minotaur mythological creature, which was fearsome.

Killing a giant mechanical gnome monster that has a clockwork tank thing as it quips jokes at you...

NOT killing immersion for ya?

Big difference between killing one mob which is ridiculous and being HAUNTED by ridiculous ones everywhere and ALL the time. What's next, are you going to tell me there is no difference between someone who tells jokes once in a while and someone who simply can't shut his mouth and tell jokes every moment he sees you? Seriously , i don't mind you liking the expac, everyone his own opinion but please make an effort.

Pandas do?

When they are a playable race in both factions and are the center of attention of the new expac? yes.

Adding panda NPC monsters in certain areas wouldn't have annoyed me that much. Heck i might have appreciated the laugh i'd get when killing them for some quest. But playable race? must be kidding me.

WAAAY too much focus on Panda hate and not enough on all the other aspects of the game they are changing, the talent revamp is an actual revamp of the base core of their belief system on what a talent system SHOULD DO, its not BC -> Wrath its a WHOLE NEW SPECIES. 

I know it's a whole new species. Doesn't mean i have to like it. I prefer the one from wotlk and before. Cata was too rigid in my opinion. But this new one looks "meh". Now off course to be able to fully judge it you need to test it in game which i didn't but based on what i've got "meh". Looks better than the too rigid cata talent system , yea , but i hated the cata talent system.

Yet all you talk about is their "pokemon" "rip off" which honestly the game play they are suggesting sounds fun, and accessable to anyone, guess what casuals exsist too!  Not just elitists.

I don't care if it's a rip off. I just think it's ridiculous. But you see that at least is something i could have ignored. But it most certainly wouldn't get on the "why this expac is good" list.

Sorry if your pandaphobia is some how killing your game for you, its unhealthy to focus on things that make you mad though, why not focus on the good not the bad.

I'm not mad. Having a negative opinion about something =/= being mad.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Yeah, never seen a meleee healer before, right? Like AoCs Bear shaman (first one coming to mind). Monks are a very common class in MMOs one way or another since it is a standard D&D class. Sure, Wows monks will be slightly different but using the word "unique" is like calling MC Donalds cheeseburgers unique, sure no one do them exactly like that but damn close.

And sure, Wow had pandas before and so have EQ2 but now they base an entire expansion on them. Raiding the huge panda boss?

To me it seems like Blizzard aim the entire expansion on 13 year old male kids (Kung fu is coolest at that age, I remember watching every ninja and martial art movie I could get at the time). It might get them more new players of course but I somehow doubt it.

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

Originally posted by Loke666

Yeah, never seen a meleee healer before, right? Like AoCs Bear shaman (first one coming to mind). Monks are a very common class in MMOs one way or another since it is a standard D&D class. Sure, Wows monks will be slightly different but using the word "unique" is like calling MC Donalds cheeseburgers unique, sure no one do them exactly like that but damn close.

And sure, Wow had pandas before and so have EQ2 but now they base an entire expansion on them. Raiding the huge panda boss?

To me it seems like Blizzard aim the entire expansion on 13 year old male kids (Kung fu is coolest at that age, I remember watching every ninja and martial art movie I could get at the time). It might get them more new players of course but I somehow doubt it.

This expansion is not about panda only, its more to focus on bring back the pvp aspect between factions.

As you have said yourself, monk is a class in other games also, so does that make those games cater to 13years old?

Every game have the right to do the race that they like for their players, we shouldnt jump and attack them just because we dont like it.

Panda is in the lore long ago, i really cant see whats wonr with putting it in as a new race

RIP Orc Choppa

• kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455

When I had 12 years i loved star wars movies, I watched them every single day. I was into demons, zombies and all that crap. In that period of my life I would hate pandas.
    12 years old kids are more into cool things like SW:TOR ( in age 12 I would chouse TOR coz I would find WoW to be "gay kiddy" game)
  • TivianTivian Member UncommonPosts: 168

I know why they did it. To cater to the Chines gold farmers.

• MyGaronaMyGarona Member Posts: 139

Originally posted by Loke666

Very well said amigo. I don't blame Blizz for changing the game to make it more kid and Asian friendly. If that's where you see the growth, then you move the business accordingly.

Face it folks - WoW is a game. Increasingly a game for kids. I could play this game with my 5 year old grandson. To take it any more seriously is just silly.

I didn't realize it at the time but in retrospect the deathknell for me with this game was when I made the choice to change my main Priest from Undead to Goblin for a guild achievement. Watching a little green goblin run around was, well just shameful.

If you like WoW by all means keep playing but if you can't accept these changes as what they are - moving the game towards a younger Asian audience, you probably need to take a break and step back from the keyboard and go get some air.

• farfanugonfarfanugon Member Posts: 419

some really like the panda alot

http://youtu.be/78xLpmQwrI8

maybe a bit to much !!!!!!!!

This discussion has been closed.