Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria Overview

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Yesterday, Blizzard finally revealed the next expansion for World of Warcraft. Called Mists of Pandaria, the expansion brings new features, a new continent, a new race, a new class and much much more. MMORPG.com Managing Editor Bill Murphy has a brief write up of the announcement along with some new screens. Check it out and then let us know what you're thinking in the comments.

The amount of information shared at BlizzCon about the new World of Warcraft expansion was daunting. There are a ton of new elements coming into the game and loads of new features. Pandaria brings the Horde and Alliance to the hidden continent and brings the Panderans into play as the new playable race. It also introduces the Monk class to the game. The Kung Fu Panda jokes aside, Pandaria looks amazing and the Monk run through impressed us with its smooth approach and new punch and kick style combat. Players should get ready to play to level 90. Overall, the WoW team continues to work hard on filling out the full scope of Azeroth. The only question that remains is whether or not will it be too much?

Read more of Bill Murphy's World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria Overview.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

so kung fu panda...

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

.... really?

Pandas?

This isn't a joke?

lol I swear I'm not being sarcastic or snarky... I'm just wondering how we go from Cataclysms... to Kung Fu Pandas...

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Pandaren are part of the lore... my issue is just what the expansion entails... just makes it feel like its taking a huge shift to being completely casual.

• opposedcrowopposedcrow Member Posts: 55

Pandaren have been part of WoW lore for a long time now and according to Blizzard they actually originally wanted to implement Pandaren as the Alliance race in Burning Crusade but they decided that Draenei would be a better fit lore-wise.

I'm personally excited for this expansion even more so than I was for Cataclysm. The new PvE scenarios sound like a nice break from the quests/dungeons routine and the asian theme of Pandaria looks like it's gonna be very nice to look at and explore. And while the whole pet-battle system sounds eerily like Pokemon to me, I think it will be cool being able to customize/name/level up our pets as well.

And finally the monk class. Having a playable monk class in WoW was something I always dreamed of but figured would never happen, especially after they announced a monk class for Diablo 3. But lo and behold my prayers have finally been answered; I'm strongly considering getting the new WoW annual pass now not only for the free copy of D3 and the cool mount but also for the early acess to the MoP beta.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Purutzil
    Pandaren are part of the lore... my issue is just what the expansion entails... just makes it feel like its taking a huge shift to being completely casual.

Er...where have you been? The only things non-casual about WoW are Arenas and the top end Raids. Everything else in the game is very casual, solo friendly, etc.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

If they don't have the expansion out by fall 2012 they can forget it.  Too many new games are going to eclipse Wow as it is, Blizzard needs to put it in gear or the rest of the genre is going to pass them by.

• MuffloMufflo Member Posts: 30

Troooolll, trooolll! 

No but seriously, the very fact that they "copy" kung-fu panda into wow, I believe this will be the obvious thing that made most serious players drop out. After this expansion GW2 and TSW will be out, and I think, most serious gamers will jump over to them, Eve, or some new or old game. 

This will proably bring some kung-fu panda-kids into wow, as it goes more into pokemon-ish battle and easy balanced pvp. 

The sylvari ordered Rice n chicken in a bar. The waiter asked him: "exploded or intact?" He angrily answered: "Intact of course! Do you take me for a fool?"

Those were his last words.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

I think facing the release of SWTOR and GW2 they've obviously given up on the western market.

Probably they know that with their current team they just don't have what it takes to compete anymore. Cataclysm showed that a year ago already. So since they knew it's useless to try harder this time, they went for the asian market right away.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by WSIMike

.... really?

Pandas?

This isn't a joke?

lol I swear I'm not being sarcastic or snarky... I'm just wondering how we go from Cataclysms... to Kung Fu Pandas...

If you are familiar with the existing lore, the "new" race existed before Kung Fu Panda came out.  I just hope we don't see a repeat of the 2 year nerf fest that was inflicted on the last new class...death knight. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • lostkosslostkoss Member Posts: 149

One skill point every 15 levels up to 90?

So the new system gives you 6 skill points?

6?

Have a sense of humor, no need to get ALL MODDY ! :) A Simpson's quote shouldn't be worth a warning. You are lucky anyone is bothering to read this rag.

• FlyingFleaFlyingFlea Member Posts: 7

last hope in keep the game alive....i guess

• malefacusmalefacus Member Posts: 135

Originally posted by lostkoss

6?

This

• TenebrosoTenebroso Member Posts: 262
    This definitely reinforces the slogan - Go back to WoW kids....

Maybe I will let my 5 year old play, as long as I keep him out of moonguard.
  • ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

WTF is Blizzard smoking?

• ScivaSciva Member UncommonPosts: 298

PANDAS?

CUTE LOOKING THINGS?

RRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAGGEEEEEEEE.

EVERYTHING SHOULD BE BLACK, BLEAK AND MORE IMPORTANTLY GRUMPY LIKE ME.

Are you guys so insecure that you constantly look over your shoulder incase someone sees you playing somthing "kiddy"? I mean, i'm 24 and my whole damn family enjoys and agrees that kids films like toy story, bee movie, kung fu panda are enjoyable.

• Rusty715Rusty715 Member Posts: 482

I dont see why anyone is surprised. BC gave us space goats that could build a rocket but for some reason the best weapon they could manage was a mace or sword. Wrath was dumbed down immensly and  very linear. Cata you get Worgens and goblin hunters. If one steps back and looks at what the game has devolved into, Kung Fu Pandas fighting their pokemon pets isnt much of a stretch.

Really? This game sucks and Im not having fun? Im going to unsub right now. Thanks for the tip.

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Whooooooooa! WhooooooooooOOOOoooah!

Pandarens were Kung Fu Fighting!

Excitement died as fast as lightning.

The seriousness was a little bit frightening.

But SWTOR will arrive with expert timing.

Defias Pillager says

HUH!
    HUH!
    HUH!
    HUH!
    HUH!
    HUH!
    HUH!

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

I was pretty much neutral about it (let's face it, walking cows are at least as silly as pandas) until I read about the new talent system. All I could do was facepalm. Congratulations Blizzard, you've made WoW (an already exceedingly casual friendly game) into something that even a mentally challenged sea cucumber can play effectively. Bravo!

Man, if I'd paid the airfare plus $150 admission to Blizzcon just to find this crap out, I'd probably want to murder someone. Needless to say, I'll NEVER be going back to WoW, under any circumstances if this goes through.

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622

expansion 1: go through the dark portal, destroy illidan & kiljaeden

expansion 2: go to northrend, destroy an old god and arthas.

expansion 3: world changes,fight bosses we've beaten be4 & fight deathwings hands in an anticlimatic fashion

expansion 4: pseudo china & play as pandas.

couldve did the emerald dream, an old god themed expansion, a sargeras themed one, couldve brought ogres back to the horde, the naga queen, etc

but nope... pandas.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

Originally posted by malefacus

Originally posted by lostkoss

6?

This

First off talent tree's are gone..

Please I urge you guys to go to youtube and watch the blizzcon 2011 video about the new talent system before making flippent uninformed postshttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlYjFJXs97Q if after watching this you think it's dumb then fine but atleast your making an informed opinion.

Here is a quick example;

You still picks his spec at level 10 (holy);

Spec specific skills unlock as he levels, these are the must haves, the skills you currently must have on you're build or you cannot come to firelands etc.

Talent points are used to get away from cookie cutter, every 15 levels you choose one of three skills, none of these skills on each tier are designed to be so different that you'll be forced to choose them for raiding, or PvP.

For example the hunter level 15 choice is Ammo, Frost ammo (30% chance to slow an enamy for 10sec), Arcane Ammo (50% chance to return 5 focus), Venom Ammo (apply a dot to a target, stacks 5 times).  None of these are must haves frost might have an edge in PvP but returning focus is also good for PvP, a dot would be good to.  

This guy could stand next to another holy pally and for once he will play differently providing he has not chosen the same skills on each teir, but he's still a holy pally , he is till just as effective as another holy pally.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

Originally posted by monarc333

expansion 1: go through the dark portal, destroy illidan & kiljaeden

expansion 2: go to northrend, destroy an old god and arthas.

expansion 3: world changes,fight bosses we've beaten be4 & fight deathwings hands in an anticlimatic fashion

expansion 4: pseudo china & play as pandas.

couldve did the emerald dream, an old god themed expansion, a sargeras themed one, couldve brought ogres back to the horde, the naga queen, etc

but nope... pandas.

There is no big end game boss cus blizzard have done that many times, they want horde and allaince to fight again rather then  put their comflict on the backburner to save azeroth together.

You mentioned panda's.. welldone here is 1000 internetz points.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by AzurePrower

Defias Pillager says

HUH!

HUH!

HUH!

HUH!

HUH!

HUH!

HUH!

I lol'd. =D  I'm old enough to remember the song, yes.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

Originally posted by expresso

This guy could stand next to another holy pally and for once he will play differently providing he has not chosen the same skills on each teir, but he's still a holy pally , he is till just as effective as another holy pally.

Yeah he can be a Holly Pally Panda.

• Rusty715Rusty715 Member Posts: 482

Originally posted by AzurePrower

Defias Pillager says

HUH!

HUH!

HUH!

HUH!

HUH!

HUH!

HUH!

I just got the song Kung Fu FIghting out of my head since seeing the trailer. Thanks a lot :)  lol

Really? This game sucks and Im not having fun? Im going to unsub right now. Thanks for the tip.

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

Talent system is revamp, but your other skills that you learn from your class trainer remains, a very detail wite up can be found here

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/203784/world-of-warcraft-class-talent-system

of course take note, its still early and subject to changes, just like path of titans never make it.

This game will be release in what? dec 2012?

RIP Orc Choppa