Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Annual World Of Warcraft - Free Diablo 3

IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

I'm trying to decide if I'm intrigued enough.

Long story short:  Buy an annual pass to world of warcraft.  Get a FREE full digital version of Diablo 3 AND in game WoW mount (look like a Demonic pegasus).

http://pc.ign.com/articles/121/1210404p1.html

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/2514-The-opening-ceremony-has-begun

Comments

• Requiem6Requiem6 Member Posts: 237

Don't forget that you also get a free-pass to World of Warcraft : Mist of Pandaria Beta.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

I'm definitely getting Diablo 3, GW2 and on the fence for SW:TOR.  Nothing in the MoP expansion sounds interesting to me.

It's a good deal for people who typically subscribe at least 6 months a year anyway.  I recently returned for one month and quit because all I wanted to do was level alts.  In the end I don't want to reward them for putting out half ass expansions.  They need to really raise the bar in the expansion after MoP.

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

i have had an ongong sub to wow for 6 ytrs now so i will get diablo 3 free. I also get  beta acess witha  yr commit. Since i play wow and my nephews play wow and my gf and me play wow together it was a no brainer. 

Since i never intended on leaving wow. Even with playing tor i was gonna sub to both games. So why not commit for a yr id of staye4d anyways get my free mount, free diablo 3 and beta acess to next expac. 

That said its only worth it if u play wow alot and are a sub already who plays wow regularly. otherwise its not a good deal unless beta acess is worth a yr commit to u.

• AeroangelAeroangel Member UncommonPosts: 498

The only MMO I'm definitely looking forward to is GW2, so as long as it really doesn't have a sub... might as well sub to this I thought. Free Diablo III, and beta access to the new expansion. I had a lot of fun in previous WoW beta tests, and I'm an adult that like pokemon (so what?). I'm sick to death of the game, but I'm sure I can find a way to entertain myself here and there. 

--------------------------
    Playing:
    FFXIV, TERA, LoL, and HoTS
    My Rig:
    GPU: GeForce GTX 770, CPU: i7-4790K, Memory: 16 GB RAM

• DensetsiDensetsi Member Posts: 62

If you are doing it just for Diablo 3 I might hold off a bit , that is if you want the collector's edition and whatever goodies it comes with. Or you can just get both :D.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Ehhh......why would they do that?  Diablo 3 isnt even out yet.  Now Ive heard of promotional things for free games that have been out for a long time.  But to give a game away for free thats not even out yet? 

That just sounds some kind of desperate to me.  Im not sure what to think about that.  It sounds like a great deal though.  I just cant imagine why they'd do it. 

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

A good deal?  I think not.

Almost no one stomach's WoW for more than a couple months at a time.  You pay for six months you'll never use and you get a game worth less.  Not the greatest bargain.

Unless you are a hardcore WoW player, this deal should mean nothing to you.  People love getting free stuff, this is the only thing I can think of that gives this 'deal' so much buzz. 

Well lately I've been itching to play some kind of MMO, and having gone through my whole "download X mmo and try it out, get bored 5 mintues later" phase I thought this would be a fine deal. If you are strictly interested in Diablo III, and not WoW at all it's certainly NOT a fine deal. 12 months of subscription time adds up to $180 (and I'm guessing the game retails at $60, so that's 3 times the price). 

But the way I look at it personally, it's basically like I'm spending 10 bucks a month on a game that I at least know can satisfy my occasional MMO scratch, and now I have the digital download for Diablo III paid for and lined up waiting to go! Not to mention the bonus of the beta test for the new expac (which might save me money from not purchasing that when it comes out if it's not what I want) and the mount is kind of cool don't really care about that, but whatev. 

Now I'm downloading it yet again, and thinking of the possible ways I can entertain myself in the game. I usually try to think outside of the box with it even though it tries hard to be a linear themepark. I enjoy RP servers, because other than the whole roleplaying aspect, there are also quests and adventures we make up on our own, and more focus on exploration and unique challenges. I can also make some PvP twinks on the PvP servers, maybe host a silly lvl 1 hogger raid (or whatever the equivalent today is), find some good in game lore to chew on, etc. 

Playing:
    My Rig:

• mrxennonmrxennon Member Posts: 209

With recent headlines in the past couple of weeks about youngsters having no basic skills on leaving School then I have no doubt that blizzard will make a ton load of money.

$150 - $180 for subs then you will want the new expansion $40 - $60 say $240 tops prob take a week to complete you then get bored after say a month because people queueing up for raids, your friends are playing other game. so you end up playing D3 for the next 10 months also costing more money to use the real money auction house and I have no doubts that there will be expansion packs in the form of new dungeons and expanded areas and other stuff to spend even more money on.

$50 - $100 for D3 possibly collectors edition at the top end and use the money I saved on WoW subs for new dungeons and expanded areas.  Because we all know that Blizzard will screw us all over for more money.

Think about it before you do it, because you all know that Blizzard will suck every dime they can from you, they have been doing it for the past number of years and they wont stop, as they know you all like things for free.  *cough*

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

Originally posted by mrxennon

Think about it before you do it, because you all know that Blizzard will suck every dime they can from you, they have been doing it for the past number of years and they wont stop, as they know you all like things for free.  *cough*

You just described any capitalistic company around the world.

Which basically covers all game publishers.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4

Originally posted by Quesa

So which game publisher is offering me a game thats not realeased yet for free If I take out a 12 month sub?  Yes all companies use a special deal, Unfortunately not all of them are deals.  And games shouldnt be all about creaming as much money as we can like Blizzard seems to be doing,  They have got greedy and play on people like you that suck up every bit of hype and fluff thrown at you.  The sooner people like you wisen up then we will see a new direction for MMO's

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

So which game publisher is offering me a game thats not realeased yet for free If I take out a 12 month sub?

Did you see the pla... nope, missed it.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

for me it was  a no brainer..the wife loves WOW (i hate it)..but i like diablo series,so perfect,got the wife subbed for a year yesterday and i get a free game..well the wife was gonna play wow anyways so i,m very happy

So which game publisher is offering me a game thats not realeased yet for free If I take out a 12 month sub?

Whether you agree with my post or not you have contributed so much constructive feedback.  The Blizzard deal will suit a minority of people I have no doubts about that, but a lot of people wont do the sums and will get drawn into the "but I get D3 free and a mount" scenario.  And as I have mentioned earlier, some things are not what they seem,  Have you not seen Walmarts buy 2 get 1 free?  most of them work out more expensive than buying 2 seperately, or buy 2 for $1 but they retail at 50c each? but people still fall for it.

Being closed minded and defending Blizzard for everything they do is nothing short of being stupid.

Whether you agree with my post or not you have contributed so much constructive feedback.  The Blizzard deal will suit a minority of people I have no doubts about that, but a lot of people wont do the sums and will get drawn into the "but I get D3 free and a mount" scenario.  And as I have mentioned earlier, some things are not what they seem,  Have you not seen Walmarts buy 2 get 1 free?  most of them work out more expensive than buying 2 seperately, or buy 2 for $1 but they retail at 50c each? but people still fall for it.

Being closed minded and defending Blizzard for everything they do is nothing short of being stupid.

Well being a frequent shopper of walmart, I can say that most of the time the "buy two get one free" type deals (which are almost always manufacturer related, not issued by walmart), are actually decent deals most of the time. But a funny thing to note when you see signs there like "2 for $5" it doesn't mean you are getting a discount price for purchasing at least two, it just means each item is $2.50. Little technique they have to make more sales and make something seem cheaper than it really is. 

Anywho. Some people like WoW, so what if they decide to sign up for an annual thing if they planned on playing for 12 months anyway? If there's some added benefit to doing something they already were going to do why not take advantage of it? 

I honestly know I won't take full advantage of my game time, since I work full time and have a lot of other things on my plate, but the $15 a month is plenty worth even the couple hours a week I might play (I'll probably play more, but sometimes I might not feel like it!) and it's so not a big deal. I can piss away far more than $15 bucks in one hour of my free time so it will probably save me money there, plus it's a nice little payment to throw on one of the ol' credit cards that can easily be payed off each month, thus raising my credit rating. 

Now some cell phone companies I'd say they're even worse. Right now I have boost and have my little android phone that cost me $180 bucks up front (but I own it) and pay $50 a month for unlimited everything. The most comparable thing from a contract would be sprint for about $80 a month, ($30 more per month give or take). So I figure one of the benefits to a contract plan is that you get a high tech phone for the cost. So the phone I looked at is $200 up front with the two year contract, and it supposedly retails at $600. 

$200 + (30*24) = $920. That's over $300 extra! At least the WoW annual thing isn't making you pay extra for something you are already getting, they are actually giving you something for free (if you already play or plan on playing WoW for a year). 

Contract plans can be appealing, sensible, logical, etc. for certain people. On the other hand paying more up front for a discounted price can also be better for some. I personally like having the option, and at least Blizzard gives one this option. And if that's all they are charging for a quality game I'll take it, because I know of some terrible, terrible F2P mmos that cost much more to be competitive in. 

Playing:
    My Rig:

Originally posted by Aeroangel

Well being a frequent shopper of walmart, I can say that most of the time the "buy two get one free" type deals (which are almost always manufacturer related, not issued by walmart), are actually decent deals most of the time. But a funny thing to note when you see signs there like "2 for $5" it doesn't mean you are getting a discount price for purchasing at least two, it just means each item is $2.50. Little technique they have to make more sales and make something seem cheaper than it really is. 

You are wrong on 2 counts, Walmart creates the offer as the items are already sold to Walmart at an incredible discount. Secondly buying 2 items for for $5 when they are $2:50 each before the deal is an error on walmarts side and goes to show how gullible some people are.

Anywho. Some people like WoW, so what if they decide to sign up for an annual thing if they planned on playing for 12 months anyway? If there's some added benefit to doing something they already were going to do why not take advantage of it? 

And as I stated in my original post if you bothered to read I stated that the offer will suit some people, but you seem to have taken it as a personal attack. 

I honestly know I won't take full advantage of my game time, since I work full time and have a lot of other things on my plate, but the $15 a month is plenty worth even the couple hours a week I might play (I'll probably play more, but sometimes I might not feel like it!) and it's so not a big deal. I can piss away far more than $15 bucks in one hour of my free time so it will probably save me money there, plus it's a nice little payment to throw on one of the ol' credit cards that can easily be payed off each month, thus raising my credit rating. 

I personally don't use credit cards as I prefer to use money I have and not what I havnt got, and again thats a personal choice  for you.

Now some cell phone companies I'd say they're even worse. Right now I have boost and have my little android phone that cost me $180 bucks up front (but I own it) and pay $50 a month for unlimited everything. The most comparable thing from a contract would be sprint for about $80 a month, ($30 more per month give or take). So I figure one of the benefits to a contract plan is that you get a high tech phone for the cost. So the phone I looked at is $200 up front with the two year contract, and it supposedly retails at $600. 

I'm not into the cell phone thing, I do have one I pay £10 per month for free calls and txt to the same network, so I end up only spending £10 every 2 months as I only use it for txing our lass.  If people want to spend out on phones they will never own then that again is their choice.

$200 + (30*24) = $920. That's over $300 extra! At least the WoW annual thing isn't making you pay extra for something you are already getting, they are actually giving you something for free (if you already play or plan on playing WoW for a year). 

I refer back to my second answer.

Contract plans can be appealing, sensible, logical, etc. for certain people. On the other hand paying more up front for a discounted price can also be better for some. I personally like having the option, and at least Blizzard gives one this option. And if that's all they are charging for a quality game I'll take it, because I know of some terrible, terrible F2P mmos that cost much more to be competitive in. 

On the whole I was making a point out to those who have looked at the deal and are thinking of going for it.  so I'll point you back to my original post which says to people to think about it before pressing buttons, because they will prob stick with WoW for a couple of months before they get bored or their friends have moved on etc etc. and end up wasting money on something they wont really use in the long term.

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779

So which game publisher is offering me a game thats not realeased yet for free If I take out a 12 month sub?  Yes all companies use a special deal, Unfortunately not all of them are deals.  And games shouldnt be all about creaming as much money as we can like Blizzard seems to be doing,  They have got greedy and play on people like you that suck up every bit of hype and fluff thrown at you.  The sooner people like you wisen up then we will see a new direction for MMO's

So no business should be about making money period, every business operating should be nothing more than a hobbie just like playing MMO's.

If it was such a bad deal I pretty sure people would catch on and realize that.

You forget there are still millions playing.

Think about it!

Someone who is already paying month to month will benefit from this deal.

$14.99 x 12 = $179.88 + Free Mount, Beta Entry, and D3 (cost of $59.99) An annual pass that can still be paid for in monthly installments.

Though, at the same time I know better, I'll end up getting bored before my annual is up. So instead of spending all that money I'll just buy Diablo 3 when it comes out. See how easy it is to make a decision like that.

I use to pay month to month, when I use to play, this to me sounds like a great deal.

Unlike some other companies who can't even honor or gaurantee Beta invites,...Funcom and Cryptic as I recall.

But thank you for your well informed concept of what's not a good deal.

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

This is a great deal for me,. Im losing nothing all i do is agree to stay subbed for a yr. Thats it for that fact which i was gonna do anyways i get diablo 3 for free and beta acess to mists of pandaria and i get a free mount with 4.3

Its a great deal i pay what i was gonn pay anyways and i get free stuff for doing so. Now if u arent the type to play a yr and stay subbed and u constantly un subb and re subb this isnt a deal for u but if u are like me and have stayed subbed for 6 straight yrs never letting it lapse its a great deal.

Blizzard isnt making any extra off of us who will play the yr and would of stayed sub regardless of deal or no deal. They are actually given us a free game and free mount which if on there story would of cost me 25 dollars. 

So for me its a great deal.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

After reading the WoW forums, there are many people who are more than happy to buy the annual pass. What's surprising though, is that some of them actually only do it for the mount???? Seriously? They don't care about Diablo 3 or WoW's new xpac but they care about the flying pony?

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

Originally posted by fivoroth

After reading the WoW forums, there are many people who are more than happy to buy the annual pass. What's surprising though, is that some of them actually only do it for the mount???? Seriously? They don't care about Diablo 3 or WoW's new xpac but they care about the flying pony?

that tells a lot of the wow community ;)

I'm confused on the pricing.  Can you get two consecutive 6 month plans at a lower rate per month or ar you forced to pay the highest rate month to month?  I didn't see an option ofr a one year subscription plan.  The only way I'd consider doing it is if it was like $120.00 for the years subscription.  I barely subscribe three months a year as it is.  I'm just not interested in the gear cycle anymore.

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

I'm confused on the pricing.  Can you get two consecutive 6 month plans at a lower rate per month or ar you forced to pay the highest rate month to month?  I didn't see an option ofr a one year subscription plan.  The only way I'd consider doing it is if it was like $120.00 for the years subscription.  I barely subscribe three months a year as it is.  I'm just not interested in the gear cycle anymore.

You can pay during those 12 months anyway you want following the normal options available.

You can use Game time cards, you can subscribe monthly, 3-monthly or 6-monthly. You do not have to pay all up front or anything like that.

As it use the usual rates for WoW, the 3-months and 6-months option is cheaper, per month, than the monthly option. about 1 euro/month discount on the 3 month and 2/euro per month discount on the 6 months. I expect us prices to be equivalent.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

You don't sound confused at all to me.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

Originally posted by Volkmar

You can pay during those 12 months anyway you want following the normal options available.

You can use Game time cards, you can subscribe monthly, 3-monthly or 6-monthly. You do not have to pay all up front or anything like that.

As it use the usual rates for WoW, the 3-months and 6-months option is cheaper, per month, than the monthly option. about 1 euro/month discount on the 3 month and 2/euro per month discount on the 6 months. I expect us prices to be equivalent.

Thanks for the info.  I wonder how they'll regulate it if D3 comes out before your one year commitment is over.  Say D3 comes out 8 months into your year, you get D3 and cancel your subscription.  I assume they'll just revoke the D3 access they gave you if you bail on them.

Anyway, it may or may not be a smart business plan.  I think they are pulling out all the stops to try to keep players from trying SW:TOR.  This deal is unprecedented for Blizzard.

• htiger23htiger23 Member Posts: 113

What you call "hype and fluff", others see as serious incentive.

Did you stop to think for a moment what Diablo 3 could do to WoW?  It essentiailly competes competitive market.  They aren't identical markets, but they do have a lot of areas of overlap.  That being said, what do you think Blizzard would prefer:

1. Player purchases D3.  Player quits WoW.

2. Player purchases D3.  Player stops playing D3 to continue with WoW (Or plays both).

3. Player never purchases D3 because he sees the two games as competing for his time.

The deal to get a free copy of Diablo 3 is a win-win.  Blizzard definitely wins because it gets a full year of subscription revenue.  The player also wins because they get a free copy of Diablo 3.

No matter what way you try to spin this, Blizzard is taking a potential revenue cut by doing this sale.  It cannot hurt the smart consumers (IE - Those that can afford it and have no reservations subscribing for a year).