Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Jedi Consular Beta Impressions

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Today marks a big turning point for Star Wars: The Old Republic with a partial lift of the embargo for members of the press and we here at MMORPG.com have a full slate of articles covering the Republic side and levels 1-15 today. MMORPG.com's Chris Higgins took the Jedi Consular for a spin and has thoughts to share about his experiences. Read on and then leave us your thoughts in the comments.

I will not go into details and spoil the story but from the moment you login you feel as if you are playing a Star Wars movie. The quests and dialog you see are unique to the Consular class. From your first interaction with NPCs it feels like the fate of the universe hinges on the success of your character. Much like Luke in "A New Hope" you know this character is important but you are not sure how or why.

Read more of Chris Higgins' Star Wars: The Old Republic - Jedi Consular Beta Impressions.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MacDeathMacDeath Member Posts: 21

No no! Be a Jedi Knight!

MacDeath

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178

Gotta love the consular.

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689

Man, that's an ugly hat.

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

Words can not express my joy,

God I want to play this game!

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178

Originally posted by Kaerigan

Man, that's an ugly hat.

Yes.... yes it is :( 

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Thanks for the write up, also thanks Agricola for the picture. *coughs*

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Originally posted by Agricola1

Words can not express my joy,

God I want to play this game!

Can always count on you for crazy images to go with your posts. :P

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

worlds are immense. consulars wield single light sabers. they can heal. okay.

• ArcheminosArcheminos Member Posts: 283

Jedi Consulars : SILLY HATS ONLY!

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

You mentioned that walking around to hand in quests got tiresome, but I have read that you can use a hologram communicator thing to hand in quests? 

I always thought this was pretty cool but you didnt mention it at all...is it something you get later on?

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• SpareHigginsSpareHiggins Member Posts: 2

Some of the quests did have holo communicators but it was not for all of them.  Most of the quests you had to go back to NPC's. 

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

SpareHiggins = Chris Higgins.

It's true.  Some quests do have holo communicators, but most don't.  That part of the quest mechanic is still here, I'm afraid.  I didn't find it too annoying, as actually having large gaps to traverse is something I feel many MMOs lately have left out.  I want the sprint ability and the eventual "mounts" to feel like they matter, and the running around in early levels hammers that home.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• AdvantusAdvantus Member UncommonPosts: 7

Not shabby for a light side user. But we all know who the true powerhouses are in SWTOR.

<Evil Laugh>

Enjoying all the classes in the beta. Very impressed!

@DarthAdvantus

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by BillMurphy

SpareHiggins = Chris Higgins.

It's true.  Some quests do have holo communicators, but most don't.  That part of the quest mechanic is still here, I'm afraid.  I didn't find it too annoying, as actually having large gaps to traverse is something I feel many MMOs lately have left out.  I want the sprint ability and the eventual "mounts" to feel like they matter, and the running around in early levels hammers that home.

I'm glad that they included large worlds like you said.  It will make the world feel more fleshed out and less crammed together with all the hubs thrown on top of each other (I'm looking at you Rift).

• TheFirst109TheFirst109 Member UncommonPosts: 182

I hate to be a grammar nazi, but did any editor look at this before posting it? Holy crap.

Otherwise, great info in the article itself.

• bumuscheekusbumuscheekus Member Posts: 214

The objects vary and can be anything from droid bodies to boulders. 

Well thank goodness for that. I was worried it was gonna be the same engine part throughout the whole game. Call me petty if you will but that would be silly. Roll on Christmas!

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

I read somewhere that healing in SWTOR comes with like 2 healing abilties only. Healers rather play like i.e. the ToS in AoC, which is "offensive priest"-like instead of full blown pure healers with two bars of spells at hand.

Can anyone confirm that?

• SpareHigginsSpareHiggins Member Posts: 2

I did not go past level 15 so things could change as you get higher but I had 2 healing skills by the time I was 14.  The interestng thing was the last one I got was better than the first.

From what I saw when you go up the healing tree it looks like you get more skills but I wont be sure until I get to it and its still under NDA :)

• gilgamesh9gilgamesh9 Member Posts: 133

To put it simply, the story for the consular... is boring as hell. 

Part One: Save some holocrons, especially one from the "bad" guy who helped found the jedi order

Part Two: omg your master is sick, find a cure.

and then play something else more interesting cause the male voice was getting on my nerves.

• korvasskorvass Member Posts: 616

In my opinion, using words like 'enormous', and 'massive' to describe the planet zones is a bit of an overstatement.

[User edited due to NDA]

I think the explorative aspects of the game are somewhat mis-represented and overstated.

That being said, it's not going to detract from the overall enjoyment of the game, and I'll be there drooling at release like everyone else. I just feel that things are getting a little over-hyped, and not being looked at realistically.

I have no desire to recreate SWG in SWTOR, but for an example of 'massive' planets, then SWG would be a good one.

There are also a lot of valid concerns that are not being addressed. For one: long term content. I don't mean end-game. [User edited due to NDA]

I am hoping for a MMO experience that will last me a few years, and I am greatly concerned that TOR is going to run out of tricks and content very, very fast...

It would be nice, and useful to see some objective negative criticism as well, to balance things out a little.

..questing zone, not question zone..

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Appreciate the write-up Korvass, but seeing there still is an NDA in place it will probably get removed, better to delete or edit it a bit so it isn't breaking the NDA.

Yeah, even though it was a simple opinion, it probably breaks some NDA rule or another which I'm bound to. So I don't really care nor mind if it gets deleted.

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

And you leave the cinema when the movie is finished while you can play forever on your adventure playground - has SWTOR enough playground?

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896

Originally posted by korvass

In my opinion, using words like 'enormous', and 'massive' to describe the planet zones is a bit of an overstatement.

[User edited due to NDA]

I think the explorative aspects of the game are somewhat mis-represented and overstated.

That being said, it's not going to detract from the overall enjoyment of the game, and I'll be there drooling at release like everyone else. I just feel that things are getting a little over-hyped, and not being looked at realistically.

I have no desire to recreate SWG in SWTOR, but for an example of 'massive' planets, then SWG would be a good one.

There are also a lot of valid concerns that are not being addressed. For one: long term content. I don't mean end-game. [User edited due to NDA]

I am hoping for a MMO experience that will last me a few years, and I am greatly concerned that TOR is going to run out of tricks and content very, very fast...

It would be nice, and useful to see some objective negative criticism as well, to balance things out a little.

Very few MMOs will last you for years. We don't hold single-player games to this unrealistic goal, why do we judge MMOs by this standard? I, for one, am well aware that TOR, as a story-driven game, will eventually run out of story.I am looking forward to the ride, but I don't expect it to last beyond a few months.

The game I do see myself playing for a long time, although "years" is a stretch, is TSW. With a classless, levelllesss, skill system, it seems the depth is there for a long-term experience.

Each game is it's own experience, and length doesn't automatically equal better.