Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Jedi Knight Beta Impressions

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Today marks a big turning point for Star Wars: The Old Republic with a partial lift of the embargo for members of the press and we here at MMORPG.com have a full slate of articles covering the Republic side and levels 1-15 today. Industry Relations Manager Garrett Fuller has the full report on the Jedi Knight, something Luke Skywalker fans can rejoice over! Check out Garrett's thoughts and then using that old Jedi mind trick, leave us your comments as well.

I was very lucky to get to play the Jedi Knight in Star Wars: The Old Republic as part of our first beta run-through. So to put your thoughts at ease I can say that the Jedi Knight has an amazing starting story filled with lots of choices to keep you focused on the Force and all its power. Despite being a fan of the Sith and hoping to play a Sith Marauder at launch I can truly say the Jedi starting story exceeded my expectations of what it means to be a Jedi. The one thing BioWare truly adds is story and the Jedi story is a great one to behold.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's Star Wars: The Old Republic - Jedi Knight Beta Impressions.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MacDeathMacDeath Member Posts: 21

Jedi, Jedi, Jedi.

May the force be with us.

MacDeath

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Hehe, another mmorpg writer under the spell. All the optimism is certainly contagious. Thanks for the write up.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

Originally posted by DarkPony

Hehe, another mmorpg writer under the spell. All the optimism is certainly contagious. Thanks for the write up.

The massive concentration of sexy reviews and lack of hating has resulted in me having a funny turn,

somebody help me ... PLEASE!!!!!

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• Biggus99Biggus99 Member Posts: 916

So did mmorpg.com  draw straws to see who would play what class?  Great job giving us some variety, guys.  I like that you've given us a taste over a few different classes.  Solid work, although the haters will say you were paid by EA to be nice.  :)

• AdvantusAdvantus Member UncommonPosts: 7

Jedi Knight is a kickass little character to play! IMO they overdelivered! WOOT!

Looking forward to MMORPG being able to share more Empire classes with the general public.

@DarthAdvantus

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Originally posted by Biggus99

So did mmorpg.com  draw straws to see who would play what class?  Great job giving us some variety, guys.  I like that you've given us a taste over a few different classes.  Solid work, although the haters will say you were paid by EA to be nice.  :)

First come, first serve, basically. I called out the Trooper immediately and we went from there. :)

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

Yeah, I agree the dual weilding of lightsabers does look pretty cool. I would still go with a trooper myself but that is just me.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

Originally posted by Agricola1

Originally posted by DarkPony

The massive concentration of sexy reviews and lack of hating has resulted in me having a funny turn,

somebody help me ... PLEASE!!!!!

LOL I hear ya. I have been hating on this game for a long long time. Turns out, I now know first hand that I was wrong. I hate being wrong, but in this case, I guess it's ok. ;)

Joined - July 2004

• TenebrionTenebrion Member Posts: 179

Excellent writeup, Garret.

Content Writer for RTSGuru.com
    And overall bitter old man.

• ironjedi2020ironjedi2020 Member Posts: 2

i love being a jedi i would want to deal with more damage any way and help other players and my allies guilds.

• garrettgarrett MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 284

As mentioned in the article...I too am looking forward to being able to write about Empire classes....

:p 
  • ShredderSEShredderSE Member Posts: 197

The force is strong in this one.

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Must play swtor again arrg sometimes betas suck because you play a game like TOR and then your beta ends ,.. December 20 too far away "crys"
  • Dionysus187Dionysus187 Member Posts: 302

All this 100% joy with SWTOR just tells me mmorpg.com are clearly a bunch of tools. It's hardly a 10 especially where combat is concerned yet I'm finding it hard to find almost anything bad said about this game by the staff at mmorpg.com. So not only is this game 'not for me' (or anyone else who likes to have any kind of challenging, skill driven combat) apparently mmorpg.com 'isn't for me' either.

'Fun and fast paced.' is juat an outright lie. Not only is it not fast paced it's probably the slowest combat in any MMO today save for maybe original EverQuest and other ancient games. I can quantify it even, 1.5 second global cooldown, every class has this when even in WoW or Rift the rogues got a 1 second GCD. So technically, not only is it not 'fast paced' its the slowest combat out of all the modern MMO's.

• CannyoneCannyone Member UncommonPosts: 267

"There are a lot of armor choices in the game for the Jedi Knight to choose and some of them enhance the class you are playing."  Pardon me for asking... but what do you mean?  Do you mean that some armor is purely cosmetic?  Or that some armor, you can wear (for example "Medium Armor"), will not have stats that benefit you in any way?

I ask this because you say that you were playing a Sentinel.  They wear "Medium Armor", at least after the starting area, and No Other Class uses Medium Armor.  So how can you get armor that won't benefit you at all?

I guess you could wear Light Armor, designed for Consulars.  But I would imagine that it would provide some benefits, at least with regards to the use of your force powers.  So I just can't decide what you're talking about.