Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Full Beta Preview

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Today marks a big turning point for Star Wars: The Old Republic with a partial lift of the embargo for members of the press and we here at MMORPG.com have a full slate of articles covering the Republic side and levels 1-15 today. Community Manager Mike Bitton has a comprehensive look at the overall beta (that we can write about!) that is a must read for any and all fans of SWTOR. Check it out and then leave us your thoughts in the comments.

Troopers start out on the mountainous planet of Ord Mantell as a new member of the Republic special forces team Havoc Squad. The first minute or so involved my character being briefed on the situation on the ground by one of my fellow Havoc Squad members while riding aboard a Republic dropship. Things quickly take a turn for the worse as the dropship takes enemy fire, prompting the pilot to make an emergency landing. As the exit ramp opens, I am treated to a wide view of the war torn planet of Ord Mantell before I step out and put my boots firmly on the ground.

Read more of Mike Bitton's Star Wars: The Old Republic - Full Beta Preview.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

Haven't read it yet.  Debating on if I should.  Really want to limit as many story spoilers as possible... what the hell. *Goes off to read article*

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• tussauctussauc Member UncommonPosts: 147

This only made me want to play it more, thanks. :')

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Not really any spoilers in any of the pieces on this site.

I've just read them all.

Nearly 100% positive.

Very, very good to hear.

Smuggler preview says it best - if you are not looking for a story driven Bioware game with excellent (yet standard) MMO features then this game is not for you.

Just something worth mentioning before the trolls/haters invade this thread.

• rygar218rygar218 Member UncommonPosts: 332

Great read thanks from one fellow trooper to another I can understand with what you mean at the end there are so many class choices which to play first? lol 

I really want to be a Vanguard but the Commando seems so much more appealing. Gonna be really hard to make the choice, and the way you layed out the Commando its gonna be really hard not to try it out.

Hard not to try out the guy with the Big Gun! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2KM-_zpCno

• binary_0011binary_0011 Member Posts: 528

why dont have ATST?

• BoreilBoreil Member UncommonPosts: 448

Hmm pretty decent review , main quick questions , are the planets seamless, and are they fully explorable planets or just a few zones on each planet  simulating  a fake full open planet , and can you fly back and forth to and from  planet's as you wish ?

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Lo and behold, the lid is finally lifted (slightly).

Great, factual write-up Mike. Thanks. I did skip past some of the spoilers in the Dark & Light bit though.

Trooper certainly sounds appealing. And I understand your dilemma of picking a class for your first main. I've gone from Agent to Sith Warrior, to Inquisitor, back to Agent, to Smuggler, to Jedi Knight and now back to Warrior. *cries*

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

Originally posted by Boreil

Hmm pretty decent review , main quick questions , are the planets seamless, and are they fully explorable planets or just a few zones on each planet  simulating  a fake full open planet , and can you fly back and forth to and from  planet's as you wish ?

Watch the DE playthrough of Tatooine to see how they work. The only loading screen you hit is when bouncing from planet to planet (obviously) but once on the planet everything is seamless and you are free to move around the planet as you want. They said that some of the planets are larger than all of the entire world in Dragon Age, so that gives you a scale for big they will be. 

They also said in a recent interview that the class story alone on a planet like tatooine will clock in at 15 hours. That is if you completely skip all other side quets and only do the story line quest. 

Even going into your own personal story  "instances" have no loading screens. 

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

Good read, too many spoliers I needed to skip a lot of paragraphs but I supose is imposible to make a preview without giving so much information. Anyway, what i did read was good enought.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

No negatives at all. I think a very glaring negative and this is going to get endlessly debated. Is this a single player rpg or mmorpg. Everything in this article and a few others is only about you and I have not heard one reviewer mention others players or how you interact with them.

Is that just a oversight because it is worrying alot of people?

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

O man i am in extasy! It is so awesome and i think this will be sleepless night for me. I cant wait anymore people! Finaly some MMO with great story and epic everything. Ty, ty Bioware for this

Originally posted by Xerith

Originally posted by Boreil

Watch the DE playthrough of Tatooine to see how they work. The only loading screen you hit is when bouncing from planet to planet (obviously) but once on the planet everything is seamless and you are free to move around the planet as you want. They said that some of the planets are larger than all of the entire world in Dragon Age, so that gives you a scale for big they will be. 

They also said in a recent interview that the class story alone on a planet like tatooine will clock in at 15 hours. That is if you completely skip all other side quets and only do the story line quest. 

Even going into your own personal story  "instances" have no loading screens. 

Thank you for the reply great to hear also  , exactly what i wanted to hear actually , +1 for SWTOR , they are at 1 point now =)   Good day .

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,171

Great write-up Mike.  

I'm so jealous that I can't weigh in on my experience. I've been so ready for it.  

Glad to see you liked the trooper.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Can't get much more informative than that.  Hayta posting that Bitton has been bought by BW in 3....2....1....

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

I never understood the argument of it "feels" like a single player game. What MMO doesnt anymore? I can hit 85 in WoW without ever grouping with another person. Same with LOTRO, FE, AoC and nearly every other MMO out there to date. 

The social system in SWTOR should have people grouping up more than these other games as it actually awards social points for interacting in multi-player dialogues. These points can then be spent on various forms of goodies. So in a way this game is attempting to do more than most other games in terms of multi player. 

• SquiggieSquiggie Member Posts: 104

Originally posted by DarkPony

Lo and behold, the lid is finally lifted (slightly).

Great, factual write-up Mike. Thanks. I did skip past some of the spoilers in the Dark & Light bit though.

Trooper certainly sounds appealing. And I understand your dilemma of picking a class for your first main. I've gone from Agent to Sith Warrior, to Inquisitor, back to Agent, to Smuggler, to Jedi Knight and now back to Warrior. *cries*

Heh, I know what you mean...I wasn't even thinking about the bounty hunter until I saw they get a Jawa as a companion...  Now I am thinking about a Sith Inquisitor for the assassin role...but the foce lightning focused sorceror looks soo cool...GRR!!!!

• godzilr1godzilr1 Member UncommonPosts: 550

great read.  i wish we had more details on the advanced classes, for whatever reason i still dont understand how that all works.  also wish they had mad a trooper on the sith side.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Very biased review but I guess someone has to write something good about it.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by SaintViktor

• alf2oooalf2ooo Member UncommonPosts: 139

Biased based on what, care to explain Mr QQ?

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,171

The complainers are still complaining,  and those that like the game still like it.  Just another day on MMORPG.com.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    And a day before Blizzcon. Well played.

I wouldnt say " fully good  reveiws" not by a streatch, plenty of very good and bad  but it seams , at least in the early game , some of the main points of the game are hit and miss  I.E story/multiplayer/campanions. Its still too early to tell anything though really.

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054

Unless you can prove otherwise, I would say he is a lot more qualified to make an assessment on the game than you are. Don't let your emotions cloud your judgement. You need to experience the game for yourself before you can formulate a rational evaluation.

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

For christ sakes..

This sounds almost as bad as Dungeons and Dragons with the "Love the lore or DESPISE the game and the crazy fanbase that adores it and hypes it as something it isn't" stuff..